• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Fitzpatrick

It shows what playing enough time in the vfl before making your afl debut can do to a player!

He played consistently in the vfl, and developed over three years, and he is now showing positive signs in the afl.

I wish we could do this with more players, Tom Mitchell from Sydney comes to mind, if that would have been possible for a player like Morton maybe his career would have been different

• Like 1

And he ATTACKS the ball on the ground and in the air with intensity.

has all the attributes to become a very good centre half back.

Oh no not this again. Remember the Fitz's kicking. That isn't compatible for CHB. Plus we've got a good pacey and attacking CHB already in Tommy Mac.

He has all the attributes to become a reliable decoy forward and ruck. Especially when you combine 2 of Clark, Dawes or Hogan. Or even all 3 if you feel like reinventing footy but there's been a bucket load of threads for that already.

• Like 1

It shows what playing enough time in the vfl before making your afl debut can do to a player!

He played consistently in the vfl, and developed over three years, and he is now showing positive signs in the afl.

I wish we could do this with more players, Tom Mitchell from Sydney comes to mind, if that would have been possible for a player like Morton maybe his career would have been different

I somewhat agree but note Mitchell had some injuries and they deliberately took time with him.

It's not so much that early AFL is bad. I think it's a good thing and Fitzy got a game or two and the end of both of the last 2 years which might have given him hope for summer.

It's more the benefit of being dropped and returning to the VFL to improve and doing it consistently before coming back to AFL which is the area we've struggled.

Also when a culture of team first footy has been established it's easier to drop guys to work on their failings. At melbourne Sam Blease must feel targetted at times when he continues to be dropped to work on his chasing and fitness. Yet at the same time Rodan, Sylvia and co just run around as they please. Where as at Sydney there are always younger players getting a taste then going back to work on their game and they understand when they see Jack, Kennedy, McVeigh etc playing the style of footy and working as hard as they do.

When Morton got dropped it was for him to try to defend better on a wing, or attack better from half back, or be more physical or use the ball better or work on his marking etc etc. It always changed and he never had to really round out his game.

Edited by the master

Been playing better nice he ditched that terrible beard!

Good burst of speed and strong hands.

Played a really good game today and is a very hard match up

.... anyone who has taken any notice of Fitzpatrick over the last couple of years, would see he has been improving over last year, & continued that improvement this season, to this point. he has talent, & is imo, just starting to believe in it.

• Like 2

I somewhat agree but note Mitchell had some injuries and they deliberately took time with him.

It's not so much that early AFL is bad. I think it's a good thing and Fitzy got a game or two and the end of both of the last 2 years which might have given him hope for summer.

It's more the benefit of being dropped and returning to the VFL to improve and doing it consistently before coming back to AFL which is the area we've struggled.

Also when a culture of team first footy has been established it's easier to drop guys to work on their failings. At melbourne Sam Blease must feel targetted at times when he continues to be dropped to work on his chasing and fitness. Yet at the same time Rodan, Sylvia and co just run around as they please. Where as at Sydney there are always younger players getting a taste then going back to work on their game and they understand when they see Jack, Kennedy, McVeigh etc playing the style of footy and working as hard as they do.

I agree that playing one or two games is good exposure, I was just a bit brief, the fact that Sydney have the ability to take time with their players is a blessing we do not have as of yet, especially through the midfield.

I also think that having players like Mitch clark, Chris Dawes and even jack watts have been able to provide fitzy with a great base to learn from and improve from, this coincides with your midfield point on blease.

Although I think Sylvia, especially of late has been an example through the midfield, we finally have solid leaders through this area trengove, grimes and jones now set the example for work ethic on the field and hopefully this will show in the younger boys.

I think rodans work on the inside is a bit better than blease, and Kent is providing a good contest and defensive pressure aswell!

Oh no not this again. Remember the Fitz's kicking. That isn't compatible for CHB. Plus we've got a good pacey and attacking CHB already in Tommy Mac.

He has all the attributes to become a reliable decoy forward and ruck. Especially when you combine 2 of Clark, Dawes or Hogan. Or even all 3 if you feel like reinventing footy but there's been a bucket load of threads for that already.

I know Im sticking my neck out :)

His field kicking today was excellent and a lot of it was on the run.

Tommy Mac will be a serviceable CHB, this guy could be AA.

Big, strong, athletic, quick and can take a grab. Let him run straight at it. He could be a 200cm marking kpp and rebounding defender. He could be the best in the game at it.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

Good to see him belonging on the big stage.

His running ability, marking and goal kicking is a huge asset.

thats what you need in a ruckman.

Not just the tap outs.

I can see why he was once rated a top 5 to top 10 pick. The guy can seriously play and it makes me wonder why last year and even this year Neeld refused to play him. He has battled some demons along the way with injuries, chronic fatigue and Diabetes. If anything it would have tested his mental strength and so far he is coming out a winner. Credit must go to him for his determination and perseverance.

Onya Fitzy!

Neeld refused to play him this year??

Way to rewrite history.

Fitzy had a late start to the season due to injury and had to spend time at Casey. Guess what? Dawes had a fortnight there.

Neeld deserves a lot of the criticisms he gets, no need to make up more

• Like 3

Well I just want to say i tipped it too. Every time i saw him at Casey he looked the goods. As i stated on Casey threads last year and this year, he showed leadership drawing the guys in at 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles and addressing them before the line coaches took over. he showed footy smarts all the way and he has good goal sense. just like jjack watts, just needs to get the confidence that he belongs at this level.

If he can improve his rucking and Gawn continues to rise then Jamar may not get a game.

That's the best news that I have heard Bring it on

• Like 1

Id like to know too

Article on the HS site about Fitzy by Jon Ralph says "Neeld didn't rate him - the stories are legendary"

Anyone know what he is referring to??

Nothing, as you know I speak to the players, Fitzy has had an 'interesting' run with illness and injury, he knew what he had to work on, got his chance (under Neeld) and has taken it with both hands, spoke to him on Saturday at training, got the same line, now feels he belongs, feeling comfortable at AFL level, not just coming in to keep a place warm, asked him to kick another couple, so was pleased yesterday......to put my conversation into context, I first spoke to Fitzy at a function a few weeks after he was drafted and have spoken to him quite a few times over the journey

• Like 1

Good to see him belonging on the big stage.

His running ability, marking and goal kicking is a huge asset.

thats what you need in a ruckman.

Not just the tap outs.

IMO these are the areas of the game where Fitzy (and Max) are overtaking Jamar.

• Like 1

See what a decent game plan and coach can do to the players!

• Like 1

If he can improve his rucking and Gawn continues to rise then Jamar may not get a game.

Actually, overhead a discussion at the ground yesterday where one guy said GWS was after Jamar. I've not heard that before (apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere). If so, I'd be quite happy to trade out Jamar at this time. He's been a good servant and deserves our thanks, but I'd rather develop the younger talent on the list.

• Like 2

Actually, overhead a discussion at the ground yesterday where one guy said GWS was after Jamar. I've not heard that before (apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere). If so, I'd be quite happy to trade out Jamar at this time. He's been a good servant and deserves our thanks, but I'd rather develop the younger talent on the list.

Jamar has been working closely with our young rucks though. If they were offering something subsantial such as Adams or Shiel for Jamar and probably another pick then we would be stupid not too. But if they aren't offering much we should hold onto him as that teacher role. Be interesting to see what happens.

Jamar has been working closely with our young rucks though. If they were offering something subsantial such as Adams or Shiel for Jamar and probably another pick then we would be stupid not too. But if they aren't offering much we should hold onto him as that teacher role. Be interesting to see what happens.

We also need to bear in mind that spots on our list will be an issue given the disastrous list management of Neeld & Co.

How funny that a 200cm guy with diabetes and CFS has taken some time to look the part. Who'd have thunk it.

Yes b_r_f_e for a "praimantus (sic) - giraffe - gumby" his progress in so few games has been remarkably commendable.

• Like 1

Although we have to be careful about who we simply move on, particularly if Jamar shows leadership around the club, in the case of GWS offering us Adams or Shiel you'd take it every day of the week. Thinking we should get a pick plus one of their young guns for an aging at best 'ordinary' ruckman sounds like biased optimism to me.

For a top line mid - would take it in a heartbeat

• Like 1