We have to sign or trade Frawley prior to end of trade period

DeeSpencer

They are discussing this now on SEN but it was something I had already thought about.

We have appoint a new coach by trade period and entice Frawley into at least an extra year to his deal by the end of this years trade period.

We can't go into next season with him out of contract in a struggling team otherwise best case is he ends up staying but the conjecture around it is like Cloke and Franklin style distraction. Worst case scenario is he walks for very poor free agency compensation.

If premierships are built around defense he is our most important player. Adding another year or more to his contract is also the kind of positive news and sign we need heading in to next year.

I'll gladly trade Watts and let Sylvia walk if we can get a strong commitment from Chip.

We've got a year with a new coach/FD to convince him to stay. I wouldn't panic and back ourselves in to keep him. Sure if he wants to extend his contract I'll be ecstatic but if not I wouldn't give him away.

I agree though that keeping Frawley is far more important than Sylvia and Watts.

• Like 3

They are discussing this now on SEN but it was something I had already thought about.

We have appoint a new coach by trade period and entice Frawley into at least an extra year to his deal by the end of this years trade period.

We can't go into next season with him out of contract in a struggling team otherwise best case is he ends up staying but the conjecture around it is like Cloke and Franklin style distraction. Worst case scenario is he walks for very poor free agency compensation.

If premierships are built around defense he is our most important player. Adding another year or more to his contract is also the kind of positive news and sign we need heading in to next year.

I'll gladly trade Watts and let Sylvia walk if we can get a strong commitment from Chip.

...... the players have to know who our new coach will be, If we have a Big Name Coach, by mid finals, at the latest.

we can't afford to keep losing any of our top players... I want us to keep all of Chip, Sylvia & Watts... & quickly re-sign Gawn, Evans, Fitzpatrick...

• Like 1

...... the players have to know who our new coach will be, If we have a Big Name Coach, by mid finals, at the latest.

we can't afford to keep losing any of our top players... I want us to keep all of Chip, Sylvia & Watts... & quickly re-sign Gawn, Evans, Fitzpatrick...

Evans has already signed.

For mine, Fitzy needs to show more.

Gawn is a must.

I'm quietly confident he'll sign a 2 year contract extension once we've got everything sorted out

* Board

* Football Department

* New Coach

He's in the leadership group, often heads out with the guys to watch Casey play and said he has no intention of leaving.

I don't blame him for wanting to wait till we've got ourselves sorted. And I reckon once we do he'll sign on either at the end of the year or very early next year. And as far as any trades this year would go I don't think there's a lot out there that would excite us. Best case scenario would be landing Brown and the Eagles 1st round pick or D. Grimes and the Tigers 1st round pick.

He'll stay, that's my early call anyway.

• Like 2

From a financial point of view CHip would be well served to wait until next year. Thats what his manager would be advising.

• Like 1

From a financial point of view CHip would be well served to wait until next year. Thats what his manager would be advising.

Thats correct, free agency has taken care of that, most top players that swap clubs in the future will do it through FA, to think he would accept a trade now is a pipe dream, personally I think he should be on the the same coin as Clark, if he goes it would be a massive loss.

• 3 months later...

Time to offer Frawley a 5 year 4 million dollar deal now before he becomes next years version of Franklin as the biggest name in free agency and walks out on us.

Sydney were sniffing around Franklin this time last year, so clubs will be all over Chip now. I'm tipping Gold Coast would be keen, GWS probably, Hawthorn to replace Lake and probably more. Has to happen.

Edited by the master
  • Like 5

Time to offer Frawley a 5 year 4 million dollar deal now before he becomes next years version of Franklin as the biggest name in free agency and walks out on us.

Or we could back ourselves in to win some games of footy. If we improve next year and Frawley can see a future, he'll stay. Throwing money at a problem doesn't always work. We don't want to be paying overs to keep players. We want them to be loyal and content to accept their market worth. We want to be paying overs in 12 months time to lure an A grade mid.

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 1

Ummmm... people seem to have very strange notions of what players are worth, salary wise.

800k? 600k?

Get some perspective and stare at the chart in the middle of this article -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-25/millionaires-club-explodes

Anyone think Frawley is in the top 10 to 20 most valuable players in the game? Even top 50?

Based on the assumption that he returns to more consistent form, a few years on 450k (inside the top 100 in the game, which means inside the best 6 x 18 clubs) would be a pretty reasonable offer.

I don't think Frawley is worth $800K.

$650K max. or $2.5M for 4years

Salary cap seems to go up by 500k every year. Dustin Martin just got 500k a year and Franklin just got 1.1 million a year or realistically more when you imagine they wont be attributing that much value to him when he's 35. Frawley plays on and usually does a damn good job on Franklin. Mumford just got 600k and he's fat and got dodgy knees

Trust me Frawleys name will be everywhere for most of next year and will be a huge drama until we sign him. Daisy Thomas has shown you can miss a whole year injured and still people will cough up the cash.

Make Frawley an offer he can't refuse now and get some good news. Plenty of others can sing on next year if we start improving.

Frawley will be a RESTRICTED free agent.

We can match any offer he is given.

The only risk is that he'll be offered more than we can afford, and that won't happen.

In fact, rather than just a 2 year deal meaning he's a UFA in 2 years time, we'd likely sign him up longterm.

No risk, no drama, nothing to worry about.

We should just back ourselves to make him want to stay anyway.

If he leaves next year he will get us a top 5 pick, so no need to trade him now on that risk.

And we will pay him a wage that will be near to te best 6 at other clubs because we all have to pay at least 95% of the cap.

Again, don't be scared of FA. Embrace it because it is here and it doesn't care if you hate it or not.

• Like 1