Mitch Clisby rookie elevation?

The Yarra

Gee I still miss Clint Bartram unsung hero of the Dees back pocket. Wore his opponent like a glove fantastic to watch. Came to play every day

Bartram was a great competitor and very good tackler. also would have been a candidate for worst kick in the AFL when he played. shocking technique.

Move Strauss to a wing, as he was drafted, he's not a defender. Plus I'd much rather him hitting blokes on the chest with an inside 50 rather than a rebound 50.

As for Mitch, all the best. If he and Terlich can be our running options out of defense we will have a very settled backline.

• Like 1

Bartram was a great competitor and very good tackler. also would have been a candidate for worst kick in the AFL when he played. shocking technique.

Surely the worst kick in the AFL at that time has to go to Ben Holland!

• Like 1

Mark jamar says hi

Haha Jamar wasn't that bad around the Holland and Bartram period. It's only now where he refuses to kick and passes it off, most often into worse positions, and when he does have to kick is leg is bent and the ball flops 20m.

This year I'd say Jamar is the worst, Howe is second (only walks back three paces off the mark and it gets spoilt because he is too close, and if not its some lofty hospital kick which gives the opposition more than enough time to create a contest), Blease is third (constantly turns it over, cant hit a target 15m away).

And to get this topic back on track:-

Good luck Mitch, you're another reason to turn up on a cold Saturday evening in winter!

I've followed Casey this year and he has impressed me. Finds the footy, has dash and at VFL level uses the footy well !

Good luck Mitch

(My prediction is he will bypass James Strauss)

That wouldn't be hard, another one of BPs guns that refuse to put there head over the ball.

Looks like Couch and Magner are going to need to continue to rely on long-term injuries to get a game.

I don't think elevating Couch and Magner is sensible seeing as we wouldn't really be able to play them in the same side... too much pace lost and they effectively do the same job. I feel that's reflective of what will probably happen at the end of the year - Magner will be promoted to the senior list and Couch will be let go.

Clisby seems to offer something different, though I can't really comment as I haven't been following him that closely.

I saw him in the Pre Season, & had to ask who that was...

I liked his game straight off,,, his run & carry, & his desire to create & take the game on. Very raw & slight.

I think we've got a core down back with Frawley, Grimes, Garland and probably Terlich and McDonald.

To add to that we need a line breaking, great kick in defence. We've tried Watts, Dunn and Strauss in that role with mixed success. Good luck to Mitch Clisby, there's a role there for the taking. Strauss is a nice kick but I don't think I ever seen anyone take so long to get set to kick in general play, his hand to foot takes too long for AFL football.

Clisby named nominated rookie

As I understand it, this doesn't necessarily mean he'll play; nonetheless it's a good vote of confidence from the club. Couch would have been an easy choice.

Well done.

According to EQ he'll play

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clisby-to-debut-as-demons-begin-life-under-craig-20130619-2ojdt.html

• Like 2

Heya team,

Just finished an interview with Mitch for the newspaper in his home town, and thought I'd post it on here for you guys just to provide some insight that city papers probably won't provide. Can tell you guys that you've got a great kid on your hands, and I really hope he does well. Has plenty of class, and if he adapts well to the pace of AFL, should be a very handy player.

Haven't submitted this for sub-editing or even spellchecked it yet, so don't hammer me if it's still full of errors lol.

Cheers.

Mitch Clisby may have taken the road less travelled in his journey to the AFL, but tomorrow it will finally lead him onto the hallowed turf of the MCG.

Clisby has been elevated from Melbourne's rookie list and will debut for the Demons in their Round 13 clash with St Kilda.

The 23 year-old gets his chance at the top level after being overlooked in two National Drafts, and plying his trade for years in the SANFL and VFL competitions.

Clisby was selected with the Demons' second round pick in the 2012 Rookie Draft after consistent performances on the half-back flank with SANFL club North Adelaide.

He maintained his good form this year with Melbourne's VFL affiliate club, Casey Scorpions, providing his trademark run and pinpoint disposal on the half-back line and wing.

His last two games were particularly pleasing for the club, as he gathered 25 touches and 8 marks against Sandringham, before backing up with 19-possession game against Collingwood's reserves side.

Melbourne football manager, Josh Mahoney, said the performances showed that Clisby was ready for the big time.

"His VFL form over the last month in particular has been very good, and his run and ball use coming out of the backline is something we're looking for in the team," he said.

"He takes the game on, runs with the ball and also looks for good options through the middle of the ground."

Mahoney said Clisby's development at the club was even more impressive given the pressures that are placed on mature-age recruits.

"Coming into the club as a mature age rookie the expectations placed on him were greater than say on 18 or 19 year old kid.

"We've been very happy with his progress throughout the year."

Clisby said he was elated with his selection, and hoped to make his number 50 jumper a famous one for the Demons.

"Obviously I was buzzing when I got the news yesterday. I don't think the fact that I'll be running out onto the MCG has really sunk in," he said.

"But I'm sure as it gets closer and all the friends and family arrive the nerves will start to build up.

"I think I've asked the club for a record number of tickets for friends and family, so they've looked after me," he laughed.

The former Robin said he would cherish his opportunity, but admitted there had been times when he thought his chance at an AFL career had passed him by.

"I worked really hard over the last three or four years... I had to do it the hard way, and it hasn't been easy, but I'm just really glad I stuck at it.

"I achieved what I always dreamed of, and as of 4.40pm (tomorrow) I'm an AFL player... it's unbelievable."

Clisby said he wished to thank all his family and friends in Broken hill for their support, along with the North Adelaide and West Broken Hill football clubs.

He also urged Melbourne fans to keep their faith in the mighty Demons as the club works its way through a difficult period.

"Even though our results haven't been too great this year I'm still enjoying it, and we've all got faith in the playing group that we can improve a lot in the second half of the year."

• Like 11

Nice article above, good job. This comment from Mahoney caught my attention:

"He takes the game on, runs with the ball and also looks for good options through the middle of the ground."

No wonder he didn't get a game with Neeld in charge. he didn't have the right skill set. Imagine a player looking for options in the corridor. What next? Players kicking to the top of the goal square not the pocket or the opposite flank?

Not sure how this turned from a thread on Clisby to the worst kick.

But while on kicking we must top the AFL in the number of poor kicks.

It would not turn us into champs but the number of players we have who are poor kicks is one of the major reasons we are so bad.

We have IMO five players who regularly play in our 22 that are nowhere near good enough kicks and would not get a game in

other AFL teams because of it.

2 McDonalds, Nicholson, Mckenzie and Bail.

Then there are those like Davis who in my opinion has not had a senior game because he is a very poor kick.

How have we picked so many poor kicks?

PS

Really glad Clisby has made it into the Seniors, I hope we are seeing the start of a good story.