• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

What if the betting agencies simply listened to what Jackson said last week - that only Roos has been contacted.

So, in a one horse race, surely the only horse offered the job would be pretty short odds, wouldn't you think?

These 'novelty' bets are all about PR. The reality is they have maybe a $20 or $50 bet limit. It wouldn't take much to wind the odds right in. Maybe a few hundred. Its a good story - it got in all the papers. Mission accomplished. Its the cheapest advertising you can get.

How many of these "novelty" bets have made the papers in the past? They always have some form of novelty bet, mainly because there are people out there that will have a wager on anything possible.

Also, can anyone name the betting agency that caused this "good story"? The Herald Sun had a small quote from a Centrebet rep, but I can't see 1000's of people running out to open an account with them. The betting agencies that I wager with have not been mentioned, but even they slashed his odds.

To call it a PR stunt is nothing but laughable, especially given the lack of coverage individual betting agencies received from it. I also don't think it would've created an interest for pro-punters, so the increase in the pools wouldn't have changed much at all from when it was reported.

There are 2 sceanrios for me;

1. An unusually high amount of bets came for Roos at one or multiple agency/ies in a period of say 48 hours (I'm talking a number of $20 or $50 bets given that they are the maximum). The individual bets intially wouldn't cause too much concern for the agency, however, their system would've flagged a high increase in bets for Roos after a while.

2. It's "dummy" money, meaning that someone/s have put a few silly bets on Roos to ensure the plunge has occured, therefore blowing the odds of other candidates, thus giving them better value for the likes of Williams or Eade.

I refuse to believe anything outside my above 2 points, and would have this confirmed if I could get a look at the total pools before the bets started coming in, and after. I think a few people on here would be surprised at how much has actually been punted on Roos during this plunge (my estimate is in the $2500-$5000 range, but obviously not as a single bet). It wouldn't be hard for a group of people to build up a few thousand worth of bets in a 24-48 hour period, especially given that there would be half a dozen agencies running a market.

Edited by billy2803

Tim Watson has just said on SEN that he has a source who believes the chance of Paul Roos coaching MFC next year is getting stronger and stronger by the weeks.

Demonland?

• Like 5

How many of these "novelty" bets have made the papers in the past? They always have some form of novelty bet, mainly because there are people out there that will have a wager on anything possible.

Also, can anyone name the betting agency that caused this "good story"? The Herald Sun had a small quote from a Centrebet rep, but I can't see 1000's of people running out to open an account with them. The betting agencies that I wager with have not been mentioned, but even they slashed his odds.

To call it a PR stunt is nothing but laughable, especially given the lack of coverage individual betting agencies received from it. I also don't think it would've created an interest for pro-punters, so the increase in the pools wouldn't have changed much at all from when it was reported.

There are 2 sceanrios for me;

1. An unusually high amount of bets came for Roos at one or multiple agency/ies in a period of say 48 hours (I'm talking a number of $20 or $50 bets given that they are the maximum). The individual bets intially wouldn't cause too much concern for the agency, however, their system would've flagged a high increase in bets for Roos after a while.

2. It's "dummy" money, meaning that someone/s have put a few silly bets on Roos to ensure the plunge has occured, therefore blowing the odds of other candidates, thus giving them better value for the likes of Williams or Eade.

I refuse to believe anything outside my above 2 points, and would have this confirmed if I could get a look at the total pools before the bets started coming in, and after. I think a few people on here would be surprised at how much has actually been punted on Roos during this plunge (my estimate is in the $2500-$5000 range, but obviously not as a single bet). It wouldn't be hard for a group of people to build up a few thousand worth of bets in a 24-48 hour period, especially given that there would be half a dozen agencies running a market.

Yeah, well I refuse to believe they know any more than we do; Roos is the only one that has been contacted, he is first on the list of coaches we want, and he hasn't said a definitive 'No' yet.

And just because only Centrebet got in the paper does not mean it wasn't a PR stunt for the other agencies. The Coaching markets are all about cheap controversy.

This reminds me a bit of Christmas. We know its coming, we'll get a pressie or two but it wont be tomorrow. It has its own timeline and so does the coaching appointment , well the announcement anyways.

You just have to wait folks.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks Mike Sheehan is doing what all us passionate supporters would do and trying to stir him up in saying how he would make the place better and players much better etc lol. Don't mind the little dish he gives to Roosy

Am I the only one who thinks Mike Sheehan is doing what all us passionate supporters would do and trying to stir him up in saying how he would make the place better and players much better etc lol. Don't mind the little dish he gives to Roosy

I have no doubt a lot of it is just playful banter giving Roos a bit of a gee up etc. At the same time though we have no idea what anyone is privy to and how close to the edge this play goes.

As the saying goes," Many a true word is spoken in jest"

For those that didn't hear what Watson said this morning

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Dees-closer-to-landing-Roos-Watson/60376

Doesn't really say that much that we don't already know I guess. I think there is a link to the actual audio on that link too....

Thanks Oucher

Sounds very very bloody positive imo.

Wheres theres smoke theres fire.

Yeah, well I refuse to believe they know any more than we do; Roos is the only one that has been contacted, he is first on the list of coaches we want, and he hasn't said a definitive 'No' yet.

And just because only Centrebet got in the paper does not mean it wasn't a PR stunt for the other agencies. The Coaching markets are all about cheap controversy.

So, this "PR stunt", what is it that they hope to achieve? More punters? More money wagered on the Melbourne Football Club coaching gig?

The amount of dollars these agencies spend on advertising, sponsorship, etc, it's in the millions. Why on earth would they try and "leak" a "plunge" to a newspaper outlet on a novelty bet that rarely attracts interest? If they want a cheap PR stunt, I'm sure there would be a lot better markets/bet types that could cause a greater storm. Why not suspend Wooden Spoon betting for an hour, then re-open it with Essendon as favourites to win the spoon?

I don't disagree about them not knowing any more than us, but the difference is that they can see how much money is coming in and from whom it is coming from. They will officially be told the same day as we are, but at this stage (again, without loojing at the bets placed), it would appear they have their suspicions.

So, this "PR stunt", what is it that they hope to achieve? More punters? More money wagered on the Melbourne Football Club coaching gig?

The amount of dollars these agencies spend on advertising, sponsorship, etc, it's in the millions. Why on earth would they try and "leak" a "plunge" to a newspaper outlet on a novelty bet that rarely attracts interest? If they want a cheap PR stunt, I'm sure there would be a lot better markets/bet types that could cause a greater storm. Why not suspend Wooden Spoon betting for an hour, then re-open it with Essendon as favourites to win the spoon?

I don't disagree about them not knowing any more than us, but the difference is that they can see how much money is coming in and from whom it is coming from. They will officially be told the same day as we are, but at this stage (again, without loojing at the bets placed), it would appear they have their suspicions.

As they might - Jackson has confirmed that we approached exactly 1 person.

Tough to frame a market on that isn't it?

"At this stage it could be Roos or no-one."

Frame a market on a coin toss.

And these coaching markets, and political leadership markets are just gimmicks. Cheap stunts screaming for attention.

They know nothing.

That's my point and you seem to agree with it.

As they might - Jackson has confirmed that we approached exactly 1 person.

Tough to frame a market on that isn't it?

"At this stage it could be Roos or no-one."

Frame a market on a coin toss.

And these coaching markets, and political leadership markets are just gimmicks. Cheap stunts screaming for attention.

They know nothing.

That's my point and you seem to agree with it.

I agree with part of your point, but you don't agree with the main point - for Roos to firm from $7 to $1.80 or whatever it was, it's more than a PR stunt. You say it's becasue he's the only one we have contacted - if that were the case, why do they have a market for it anyway?

Money has been wagered on Roos, I'd expect it to be a significant amount, and more than just because he's the "only one PJ has spoken to".

This type of betting is a gimmick, but it's not screaming for attention as you say. You clearly have no idea how corporate bookmakers operate, so it's best to leave the argument there.

All this Roos talk is worrying me.......All this talk of the messiah ......What if he turns out to be the Malcom Blight of St Kilda fame

What if all he proves is that it is the list not the coach.....

What if it all turns to sh!te .....what the hell do we do then?

I'm not saying that this will occur........But the confidence on here is a little concerning..........

Edit....Spelling

Edited by Bossdog
  • Like 2

All this Roos talk is worrying me.......All this talk of the messiah ......What if he turns out to be the Malcom Blight of St Kilda fame

I'm not saying that this will occur........But the confidence on here is a little concerning..........

Edit....Spelling

The end of the day, he is proven to get the absolute best out of players.

Its something we desperately need. You can have all the talent in the world (which we may have), but you need a leader to harness and shape that talent.

Paul Roos has shown he can do that.

• Like 2

The end of the day, he is proven to get the absolute best out of players.

Its something we desperately need. You can have all the talent in the world (which we may have), but you need a leader to harness and shape that talent.

Paul Roos has shown he can do that.

That really is it in a nutshell. And without making ridiculous predictions of premierships and everlasting culture shifts I feel that Roos is exactly the right man at exactly the right time to lead the football side of the football club.

Edit....Spelling

Easy, we blame Vlad and the AFL..........then we sue them

• Like 5

Hopefully this is the last time I have to have the EOS to really look forward to.

Whilst the effort and resolve is far better currently we arent setting the world on fire.

Is going to be very interesting. So much NEW at so many levels

Odds , mean nothing, the maximum bet is 50 bucks, you seem to think you know whats happening, but my bet is its just another ghost with pie in the sky, put up or [censored] shut up.

You don't have to necessarily slash the odds to a large degree as a bookie/betting agency because of little piddly bets.

But you usually make a 'significant change' when you get a whiff of some info at hand before the punters do.

Interesting words that...'significant change' ....I recall someone using those exact words as highlighted near the start if this thread.

• Like 1

The more that Roos delays his decision the more he can get out of the AFL, and let's face it the AFL are the ones who are offering him the role. They want the MFC to be successfully and they want Roos to be coach, he can just sit back and negotiate more out of them before signing

• Like 4

Confirmed as 100% BS by Roos. Not only did he confirm that he had he not been to Perth of late, nor seen any houses but also had never heard of the suburb of the house he was meant to have bought. He found the rumour very funny.

I live in Perth and I have never heard of the suburb, Wembley Park which apparenty is where the house he purchased from Karl Langdon is. Langdon laughed it off and I also know where he lives and it is not the suburb of Wembley

• Like 1

The difference between Roos and Blight is that the former won't be given half a season and then shafted by the CEO for his best mate to take over.

Ask Blight what he thinks of Butterss and Thomas, and how he thinks his time at the Saints would've turned out if they hadn't been there.

Theres actually something to this. Many here may not know of just what a rollercoasting basketcase StKilda really is. As bad as weve become its still the Sainters you look to for a measuring stick regards the bizzarre and predication to implode.

That said Ive no qualm should Roos come on board. He'll be given every conceivable resource that can be garnered ( and paid for by Vlad lol )

Theres actually something to this. Many here may not know of just what a rollercoasting basketcase StKilda really is. As bad as weve become its still the Sainters you look to for a measuring stick regards the bizzarre and predication to implode.

That said Ive no qualm should Roos come on board. He'll be given every conceivable resource that can be garnered ( and paid for by Vlad lol )

Can the AFL get us a midfield?

That would be a hell of a start

• Like 2

Can the AFL get us a midfield?

That would be a hell of a start

well if they get us Roos they've just automatically increased the club's likelihood to lure a quality one over from another club, so in a way yes

and given Trengove, McKenzie, Blease, Toumpas, Viney and whoever we get this year are all young midfielders in bad need of a good goach to develop them, we start to cultivate a proper midfield rather quickly

• Like 1