Finally, some attention on our biggest under performer

jnrmac

Our man Col. Jack W cops most of the shiite but this guy is most deserving.

"He was in for 11 centre bounces after the main break and had just one disposal in two quarters, and the disposal was ineffective."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/the-focus-is-always-on-others-but-melbournes-colin-sylvia-needs-to-come-under-the-spotlight/story-fnect155-1226615237284

Here is the real problem. Guys that should be leading the club. Has everything but between the ears.

Our stocks of senior 25-28 yo are woefully think on the ground. Col is the man that should be doing it. 10th year of footy.

Laziest player on our list.

• Like 2

Guest rednblue4life

"He was in for 11 centre bounces after the main break and had just one disposal in two quarters, and the disposal was ineffective."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/the-focus-is-always-on-others-but-melbournes-colin-sylvia-needs-to-come-under-the-spotlight/story-fnect155-1226615237284

Here is the real problem. Guys that should be leading the club. Has everything but between the ears.

Our stocks of senior 25-28 yo are woefully think on the ground. Col is the man that should be doing it. 10th year of footy.

I agree but his brake out seasons next year...

• Like 4

I agree but his brake out seasons next year...

His brake-on seasons have been the last ten. Break out season is always going to be the next one.

Lazy bugger...that is all.

sylvia, gone, frawley gone,jamar to collingwood for beames, no more i dont wannabees

i ive always said, he is Mr "never gets out of second gear"

I think Sylvia and Jamar are the main two we need send to Casey for a while,apart from the obvious Gillies, Sellar and Nicholson,maynbe even Rodan and Byrnes.

But we need to make a statement and start blooding the kids. (Strauss, Jetta, Kent,Gawn, etc.)

• Like 3

They forget to add that he is the one remaining destabilising player on our list. He is a sook and a trouble maker through and through and I can't wait for him to rack off at the end of the year.

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest load of crap to come out since the beginning of the season. What has occurred is horrendous and hardly needs to be referred to.

However, identifying Colin Sylvia as the problem is woefully ignorant and smacks of a cheap and attractive headline. Fact is, those Melbourne supporters whose opinion I respect and who have been to games are pretty positive on Colin. The guy is running hard, particularly defensively, tackling, and unlike some others looks like he is fit enough to play at this level.

He should have kicked those goals outside of 50, granted. But shining a light on Colin ahead of about 18 other guys who played on the weekend is just rubbish.

I too want him to kick 4 goals a game, but that won't happen, he's not that player. But he is a good one. It's pretty difficult to play well in a team playing as bad as we are.

• Like 7

Sylvia must go doesn't have the passion! He's not a team players who is only playing for a pay cheque. Regularly see him at Boutique & along chapel street in the early hours of the morning. Far enough they have lives outside football but how long can we wait for this so called potential star...?

Sylvia would be a champion if he had come up under Sheedy @ the Bombers, or under Clarkson @ the Hawks or Bomba @ the Cats.

Again your just looking for a scapegoat.

Jnr there is no getting past the failing of the club... Its our culture, not onfield, the Nature of the Club is the clubs achilles heel.....

We do not have enough Fire in the belly... we hoist kids up onto pedestals when they're almost ready for their fist game, & then 3Yrs later wanting to point the finger of blame at them for all our Ills.

We as a club have to harden up, & stop the finger pointing,,, as many here have blamed a former player for, now where do you suppose that character trait was learnt from, by that player???

• Like 1

he could have been so much better , from the outside ( and I dont know the guy) he sometimes looks like he doesnt care.

fottball come easy to him but he still needs to do the hard work , reminds me of another pick 1 we had many years ago ...

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest load of crap to come out since the beginning of the season. What has occurred is horrendous and hardly needs to be referred to.

However, identifying Colin Sylvia as the problem is woefully ignorant and smacks of a cheap and attractive headline. Fact is, those Melbourne supporters whose opinion I respect and who have been to games are pretty positive on Colin. The guy is running hard, particularly defensively, tackling, and unlike some others looks like he is fit enough to play at this level.

He should have kicked those goals outside of 50, granted. But shining a light on Colin ahead of about 18 other guys who played on the weekend is just rubbish.

I too want him to kick 4 goals a game, but that won't happen, he's not that player. But he is a good one. It's pretty difficult to play well in a team playing as bad as we are.

Exactly.

But the mob finds simple solutions, scapegoats and slogans more attractive. And Col, to them, is an easy target.

• Like 3

The article raises some valid points. The tackle stat is an indictment on Sylvia's work ethic. The fact is that he isn't a midfielder's bootlace & the ball won't get to him up forward. He's a poor man's Alan Didak - a lairy, icing on the cake player who'd look a million bucks at a club that was flying.

Imgobsmacked. Never would have picked Sylvia as an underperformer !!

How long's this been goinv on I wonder.

Golly...whod da thunk it !!

Edited by belzebub59

The article raises some valid points. The tackle stat is an indictment on Sylvia's work ethic. The fact is that he isn't a midfielder's bootlace & the ball won't get to him up forward. He's a poor man's Alan Didak - a lairy, icing on the cake player who'd look a million bucks at a club that was flying.

Its amazing that he gets payed more than Didak.

article is spot on! Sylvia can nick off at the end of the year and join his mate Moloney

Only if you replace him with a higher quality senior player, Like the op says, we are short on these older guys and we're trying to fill the void with fringe players from other clubs/VFL. We can not afford to keep losing senior players. We got into this mess because we held onto too many senior players for too long under Daniher and then we had a mass exodus that left us with nothing. I've heard criticism of the appointments of our young captains but the reality is that they are the best leaders at our club. We can't make rational judgements on Bailey or Neeld's coaching abilities as both have been given zero to work with.

The club needs quality senior players to be competitive - not even the expansion teams have as few senior players as MFC does. Neeld has attempted to do this and I applaud it and at the same time, I wonder, what more he could do. We need quality senior mids, there were very few available and I imagine he asked the question to any that were.

Also, so much of a young players improvement is based on his peers, not his teachers. When Toumpas, Viney and co. walked into this club, who were the guys of which you'd say "He's been here for ten years, he's like a father figure". There is not one. There should be 4/5. Our obsession with draft picks has come at a high price.

• Like 2

Should have been traded before he is a free agent.

Yes too late now the only upside would be the salary space created.

He is off anyway lets concentrate on a replacement.

7 touches and 1 tackle on the weekend. Whilst Viney and grimes at least got to 3 tackles each and jones got 25 touches despite a tag.

I know Sylvia isn't a pure midfielder. Nor is he a speed machine or 6'6 and capable of taking contested marks but he should be fit, he has the physical size and enough speed to stick some tackles at least.

With our defense getting torched you'd think he and the team would benefit from a run on the half back flank.

Getting rid of Moloney, Petterd and Martin, without being a particularly wrong move has really not helped. I don't think adding Sylvia would help either. Lets spend the next 20 matches be they Afl or VFL trying to make him better. That's what coaches should do