Complaints & Whinges Thread

Folks, I know the game on Sunday was a bitter pill to swallow and its therapeutic for people to get things off their chests but the board is being clogged with thread after thread where similar sentiments are being expressed and we're having a lot of complaints from posters saying the site is getting out of control.

Fair's fair, for 2½ days we've had the opportunity to air our grievances, explain what happened, what we should do to fix things, who to sack and whose back to stick the knives into. Unfortunately, after that time, we're not hearing anything new.

Please use this thread to discuss your grievances with the club, the board, the administration, the coaches, fitness people, medical staff, bootstudders etc. and leave some space and air for the rest of us to breathe.

(and please don't suggest that the rest of us aren't hurt by what's going on either).

PS: New threads that come into the category described above will be merged with his one unless they're exceptional.

Thanks

• Like 6

Range Rover is gonna be pi55ed he didn't get to start this thread... (That will be the first complaint)

He could still add a poll...

• Like 2

Finally.

At last we have a one-stop shop for all our miscellaneous grievances and nitpicks.

I don't know how this thread will work...Watts threads alone hit 50+ pages. We had about 20 players not put in on Sunday alone. Then coaches, the administration, the fans booing , the media...it goes on.

This thread is probably on track to hit 1000 pages right now.

For all the reading we've all done on 'land in the last 56 hours we could have all read the complete works of William Shakespeare. Or at least Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' a couple of times.

I'm completely 'read' out !

Oh hang on, I haven't visited 'ology yet ^_^

• Like 1

I've failed many times and in many ways in life and football but there's so much that we can learn by understanding how we respond to failure. Failure in football is more than just losing matches. What we saw on the weekend was failure, not simply a loss.

In today's game there is so much time and effort invested by clubs in ensuring that the skills, strategies, fitness, strength and composition of teams that one could be forgiven for thinking that these are the things which will lead to success if executed better than the opposition on any given day. The reality of the AFL is that all of these aspects of a team's preparation are more or less consistent with each other, being at the elite level. The small differences between teams may see teams lose by a goal or two, or even five. Results like that which we saw are caused by a deficiency in something else. Mark Neeld and Captain Jack Grimes were both shocked at the result on the weekend, but maybe this is because they failed to understand what the critical elements of success in this game are.

Confidence & Resolve

Successful teams generally win games because they have either superior confidence than the opposition, because they are more resolute or both.

Confidence affects the offensive aspects of the game, whereby a confident player will swiftly position themselves in an attacking position when in possession, or move the fall swiftly to such a position. On the other side a team lacking in confidence will hesitate when in possession, both in disposal and positioning. Confidence is somewhat fleeting, and can not be artificially imposed on players or teams, it comes from real outcomes. We often see this as scoreboard pressure - when victory is within reach confidence swells quickly, this causes momentum. The opposite of this is also true, making confidence an element of our game which leaders needs to understand but can't actually control.

Resolve concerns the game where the opposition have the ball or the ball is in dispute. A resolved individual will be determined and disciplined in attacking a loose ball, tackling, chasing an opponent or lunging for a smother. If a team's resolve is greater than the opposition, it will accumulate to stifle confidence, and possibly even break their resolve. Once resolve is broken a football team fails, as we did on the weekend. Unlike confidence though, resolve can be developed within a team by its leaders, and this is the role that our coach and captains have at hand. What makes this difficult is that the triggers or stimuli for resolve in individuals differ. Some people respond to criticism and failure with resolve, others respond to encouragement with resolve. It's the old you can do it/you can't do it response. Our leaders should know which kind of approach to take to develop this resolve with every player at the club. Ruthless condemnation to those who will respond to it with resolve, and reinforcement of the strengths which they can do well for those who will respond to this. They then need to apply this personally and as a team with vigour. This is the job of a leader.

What our club needs at the moment is not changes in personnel, we've seen first hand this is not the answer to questions of success or failure. Our club needs to develop leaders who genuinely understand what's required, and are motivated to impress this, to demand this resolve from the team. I hope that what happened last week was the wake up call that the team needed, but it needs to be used to develop resolve by our leaders.

I'd love to see the same team run out this week with resolve which leads to confidence, success and then, maybe, victory.

• Like 3

Melbourne lack a huge lot of things, but from my point of view what we really lack it.

Someone like Liam Jurrah, someone who can turn a game, turn the crowd on, and bring people to the MCG just to watch pure brilliance.

Melbourne currently have no one that i would come to the football for, i come because i am a passionate Melbourne fan. Melbourne need someone that can break the lines, kick the freakish goals and take the freakish marks.

The whole match on sunday i was waiting for something really exciting the happen, and it just never happened, because we lack one or two pure excitement machines.

Colin Sylvia has the potential to be one of those players, but at the moment he lacks that general flare and excitement.

We need a fire starter

Colin Sylvia.

I'm sick of his defenders.

I'm sick of seeing his half-arsed efforts.

He can play, but you'd be lucky to get it out of him for one game in ten.

Let the UFA come, hopefully someone gives him big bucks so we can get a first-rounder out of it.

• Like 1

Colin Sylvia.

Let the UFA come, hopefully someone gives him big bucks so we can get a first-rounder out of it.

we'd be lucky to get a first rounder for him. But i agree, should he go via free agency at the end of the year, it would free up significant cap space, along with Flash retiring, we 'd have a fair amount of relief (but who in their right mind would want to come here, Neeld must have told Mitch a ripper to convince him we are a good option). Edited by Whispering_Jack

Melbourne lack a huge lot of things, but from my point of view what we really lack it.

Someone like Liam Jurrah, someone who can turn a game, turn the crowd on, and bring people to the MCG just to watch pure brilliance.

Melbourne currently have no one that i would come to the football for, i come because i am a passionate Melbourne fan. Melbourne need someone that can break the lines, kick the freakish goals and take the freakish marks.

The whole match on sunday i was waiting for something really exciting the happen, and it just never happened, because we lack one or two pure excitement machines.

Colin Sylvia has the potential to be one of those players, but at the moment he lacks that general flare and excitement.

We need a fire starter

We need to not be too judgemental after ROUND 1.

Colin Sylvia.

I reckon you're behind the times.

Compensation is set to be scrapped for free agent moves.

As an enterprise team lead providing production support I must say;

Applying an update late in the night, by the admin ( ? ) ,in a high load period, prior to a backup, without support involvement ( ? ) is a really poor choice. That's being as nice as possible .

Folks, I know the game on Sunday was a bitter pill to swallow and its therapeutic for people to get things off their chests but the board is being clogged with thread after thread where similar sentiments are being expressed and we're having a lot of complaints from posters saying the site is getting out of control.

Fair's fair, for 2½ days we've had the opportunity to air our grievances, explain what happened, what we should do to fix things, who to sack and whose back to stick the knives into. Unfortunately, after that time, we're not hearing anything new.

Please use this thread to discuss your grievances with the club, the board, the administration, the coaches, fitness people, medical staff, bootstudders etc. and leave some space and air for the rest of us to breathe.

(and please don't suggest that the rest of us aren't hurt by what's going on either).

PS: New threads that come into the category described above will be merged with his one unless they're exceptional.

Thanks

You say that you are receiving "a lot" of complaints from forum users (none of which I have read outside this thread) about there being several different threads that are critical of the club.

There are many different areas of the club of interest to Melbourne supporters, and different aspects of these areas, that are worthy of discussion, analysis and, yes, criticism.

I realise that Demonland is not a democracy, but allow me to complain about how threads offering criticism often seem to get locked or, more recently, merged into almost unreadable "mega-threads" which discourage quality discussion and become nearly impossible to keep relevant.

I can't help but think that this policy has less to do with the complaints of "a lot" of forum users who are too sensitive to handle more than one critical thread at a time and more to do with the views of a very few contributors who appear view criticism of our club as a blight on their rose-tinted landscapes and prefer to have it swept under the carpet.

• Like 2