New Cat lands on his feet

There must have been times in the past couple of years that Jared Rivers

didn't feel like getting out of bed to go to training. Match day may

have been a struggle as well. His club was embroiled in all sorts of

off-field drama. A senior coach was sacked, internal fighting reigned

supreme and factions were formed. If points were awarded for

backstabbing and rumour-spreading, the Demons would have finished in the

top four for the past five years.

Gee Garry is that right? With all your mates in charge and with two coaches that you picked?

And the incentive for the side he left, Melbourne, to get its house in

order and to start to produce some on-field results is obvious. With

free agency here to stay, a stable environment and the hope of on-field

success is the Demons' greatest ally in warding off the advances of

opposing teams, or the inclination for their own to look elsewhere. To

fail to do so leaves them vulnerable.

Our greatest ally would be for you not to "help" us any more.

• Like 5

One minute you see Lyon standing up for us with the tanking enquiry and then he writes this. Writing about Rivers seems to be an excuse to backhand the MFC. He has every right to but he should also state what involvment he had in as he wrote a train wreck of a club.

Just 100% unnecessary. If you want to write the article on Rivers looking better suited to his new club than do it, but this hybrid piece is such garbage.

In fact it's just stupid because now the main crux of the article, Jared, will be ignored because of his statements on the state of Melbourne and how noone would want to be there. Another [censored] piece of journalism from a complete sell-out.

The thing is we all know rivers has played very well for us under the circumstances and now he'll go to Geelong and they'll get all the credit for making him good.

Geelong wouldn't of recruited him if they didn't recognize his talent. He also has flaws that keen watches will see

• Like 1

We are never going to agree on the role that Garry plays at our club, 55, but that is all truth.

You can think that he is apart of what he is talking about and that it is a lack of self-reflection or you can think that he saw what the club had dissolved to in 2011 and knows what he speaks of.

It's really up to each individual.

Chook, I wouldn't go that far. It just feels that he is overly pained at times to emphasize what he does for the club and it doesn't always ring true. Having said that, he owes the club nothing.

I'm wondering what part of it is incorrect.

That must be the problem people have with it? Yeah?

Look I wouldn't have a problem with it at all if he said:

There must have been times in the past couple of years that Jared Rivers didn't feel like getting out of bed to go to training. Match day may have been a struggle as well. His club was embroiled in all sorts of off-field drama. A senior coach was sacked, internal fighting reigned supreme and factions were formed. If points were awarded for backstabbing and rumour-spreading, the Demons would have finished in the top four for the past five years. A situation me, my mates and my appointments created.

Just to make my "agenda" completely clear - I don't have an axe to grind with Gardner and his board, Stynes or McLardy and their board, Schwab, Connolly, Bailey or Neeld - yeah each has made some mistakes but they've all worked selflessly and tirelessly and done their best for the club.

Am i the only one who thinks theres nothing wrong with the article?

Nope I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with what Garry wrote. Lets face it Rivers would be loving it down at the cattery. He probably will play finals and be involved with in lots of wins.

The last few years it wouldnt be fun being a melbourne player.

I have no issues with Rivers leaving because he still played well and never sooked unlike another player that left.

• Like 1

As long as Rivers gets the 4th or 5th forward he'll go half ok.

Lyon forgot to add that in the recent Geelong v Adelaide game, River was solely responsible for Adelaide two first qtr goals. The first one he dropped a mark which resulted in Dangerfield mopping up the mess. In the second goal, Rivers gave away a blatant free in the goal square.

I'm not all that fussed to see him succeed at Geelong.

• Like 1

I think what G Lyon wrote in todays paper is Absolutely Spot On...we have all witnessed the last 7 seasons.

The MFC have made some shocking decisions and should not hide from it.

Those taking pot shots at Garry.

Pathetic form. Shameful.

• Like 1

I don't have too much of a problem with any of that.

I'm wondering what part of it is incorrect.

That must be the problem people have with it? Yeah?

No issues with the article. Generally agree with him.

Am i the only one who thinks theres nothing wrong with the article?

Nope I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with what Garry wrote.

Sorry for mass-quoting, but these 5 posts miss the point.

It's not whether or not what he's written is accurate, it's the fact that Lyon is a massive contributing factor to these problems. He was one of those responsible for implementing Bailey, is part of the crew that turfs him, then gets another crack when it comes to appointing the next coach - followed by articles like this. Gaz has a dream role: he gets to play the hero every time the club "needs" him, then he gets to piss on the solution when it doesn't work, as if it had nothing to do with him. I reckon it stinks.

• Like 14

I wouldn't mind if he just came back just once more to help turf his mates out of the club. Then we can start with a clean slate and Gary can concentrate on the things he feels important in his life

First item on the agenda after that will be making sure Garry looks good and Garry is making plenty of money.

• Like 2

I think what G Lyon wrote in todays paper is Absolutely Spot On...we have all witnessed the last 7 seasons.

The MFC have made some shocking decisions and should not hide from it.

Those taking pot shots at Garry.

Pathetic form. Shameful.

Disagree- Garry loves Garry and although he has the right to pen useless fluff like that,I would prefer he didn't.

I'm over the muck raking and look forward to punching the next dick that implies we are either pathetic, disgusting or cheats.

I would prefer not to punch Garry, rather he just STFU .

• Like 1

Sorry for mass-quoting, but these 5 posts miss the point.

It's not whether or not what he's written is accurate, it's the fact that Lyon is a massive contributing factor to these problems. He was one of those responsible for implementing Bailey, is part of the crew that turfs him, then gets another crack when it comes to appointing the next coach - followed by articles like this. Gaz has a dream role: he gets to play the hero every time the club "needs" him, then he gets to [censored] on the solution when it doesn't work, as if it had nothing to do with him. I reckon it stinks.

I've nothing to add but wanted to re-iterate an excellent point!

• Like 1

Lyon can have his own opinion, I think the media overrate Lyons status amongst supporters.

I don't think any of the supporters hold Lyon up as some sort of past legend.

His role in the media over the years makes him out to be more to the club - than he is.

• Like 1

Look Jared walked the second the door was available.

Garry is right, i have no problem with him saying it.

It was Jim Stynes who asked for his help 2 summers ago. Without that invitation he would not have intervened.

It is time the club got stronger so these articles are not even considered let alone written.