Aaron Davey - the future?

jumbo returns

Davey has had a bad couple of years..... But he is a proven experience AFL player..... He has till the end of next year for me, when his contract runs out.... I'd love to see the Davey of old running around next year.....

I am getting a bit sick and tired of guys having "off field issues" as an excuse for a poor season. Sure injuries, but........

Let's see if he has "character" and does something 2013 to justify his long contract.

What do you reckon, Aaron? How do you want to be remembered - as another great talent who didn't / couldn't / wouldn't deliver consistently, or as a top grade contributor? Over to you.

• Like 1

Put him in the fwd pocket and train him to do short sharp sprints instead of the long runs needed for midfield. Leave him in the fwd pocket. Would love to see him and Byrnes doing some crumbing around the feet of Mitch and tall fwd #2.

I disagree. While he was one of the best small forward running around early on, i think he has slowed up too much now.

Personally i think we put him back behind the ball. And to all the complainers on here, YES it does mean he is going to get a lot of cheap ones out the back from handballs.

But all i can say is if i was Mitch Clarke and co leading out from FF, i know whose hands i would want the Sherrin in.

They are cheap possession, but it was only 2-3 years ago that he was so damaging he was getting the number one tag each week. Apply that to 2013, will mean Jones, Trengove, Sylvia get more freedom

• Like 4

I disagree. While he was one of the best small forward running around early on, i think he has slowed up too much now.

Personally i think we put him back behind the ball. And to all the complainers on here, YES it does mean he is going to get a lot of cheap ones out the back from handballs.

But all i can say is if i was Mitch Clarke and co leading out from FF, i know whose hands i would want the Sherrin in.

They are cheap possession, but it was only 2-3 years ago that he was so damaging he was getting the number one tag each week. Apply that to 2013, will mean Jones, Trengove, Sylvia get more freedom

This is a fair call as Bartram may never recover from his knee injury. Having said that, Davey's played this role before and when he was doing well, was heavily tagged out of the game.

He'll need to really get fit.

Unfortunately football passed him by last year, so not looking too good for him. Only really here because he is still under contract otherwise he would have been shwon the door with Green etc, from the outside looking at his onfield persona I don't think he is a "Neeld" kind of player, and if we are to toughen up we have to realise that Davey can't get too many games because he is a liability now.

Like all the boys if he does what's expected of him over the pre-season (i.e. the program laid out for them by Misson) it will be interesting to see how this effects his performance next season. A leaner Davey with a bigger tank may surprise. If he doesn't he will probably spend all of 2013 in the VFL.

Sink or swim for him for 2013. He's been so bloody injury prone for the last 3 years so anytime he's looked like putting something together he gets injured. I hope we get to see a bit of the vintage Flash, much like Green got to go out in a bit of form.

Realistically though, I can't see him getting many games.

• Like 1

All indications are that he is mentally and physically cooked. Would love to see me proven wrong.

he had a hugely interrupted pre-season with injuries which would've set him back massively and then when he played in this season he was struck down by them again! Lets see how he goes with a full pre-season (hope he gets one). He is a huge talent and i think it it too soon to throw him into the scrap heap, but i think this season will be his last chance.

• Like 1

I have my doubts. He is to easily tagged out of a game.

Davey was tagged when he was the only player in our midfield seen as damaging, if he is fit in 2013, and they still tag him, the positive is that it frees up our other midfielders, but the negative is that it will be a sign that our midfield also hasn't improved and they are not damaging enough.

I have my doubts. He is to easily tagged out of a game.

Why would you bother tagging him now?

Threw the toys out of the pram a couple of years ago. Other clubs have a serious laugh at our club. First MacDonald, then Bruce,, then Green, then Davey then Moloney. Why would you want to win a B&F at Melbourne???

Let's hope nathan Jones is not on the 'delist' threads at the end of this year...

Cant take a trick injury wise. Once his body has healed then I will judge him. He only has 2013 to impress me though

IMO he is very lucky to have a contract for 2013.

I think injury etc has ended his career.

Hard to see him being more than a fillin player in 2013.

Could spend a lot of time at Casey in his final year.

All over for not so Flash I am afraid.

Will be a star.

The second half of 2012 was all about getting his body 100% for 2013

After a big preseason watch him go next year giving us run off half back.

• Like 1

Will be a star.

The second half of 2012 was all about getting his body 100% for 2013

After a big preseason watch him go next year giving us run off half back.

It is 9.15 deeZee time to rouse from slumber and face the day and real world mate

It is 9.15 deeZee time to rouse from slumber and face the day and real world mate

Haha...gotta be positive, I believe in the boy.

Amazing to see the contrast between the hard working, inspirational Davey of 2004 and the soft, pampered Davey of 2009 onwards. Bailey should be shot for indulging Davey and allowing him to become a receiver with no defensive side.

I think he is gone. He has lost his speed and doesn't win his own football any more. If Neeld has any guts at all he will start Davey at Casey and make him earn his spot, unlike this year.