Aaron Davey - the future?

jumbo returns

And its not now??? He needs to perform from now on. You dont have to wait until Round 5.

From the latest training reports it sounds like he's doing alright now.

Perhaps the Henny Pennys can move on to the next player or issue thats going to give them the opportunity to voice their anxieties.

Moloney and Morton were both wanted by other clubs. Flash wasn't.

And in addition the whole Mifsud affair has a legacy on the relationship of coach and player.

If he didn't have another year on his contract........Hmmm.

That is correct......

Are you a better coach than MN?

Do you know more than MN?

Just asking.

Davey has had a disappointing 2011 and 2012 and he has, at this stage, one year left in the AFL.

You can criticise and he would have earnt some of it but he has had a solid career at the Dees was the only thing to watch in 2008 and 2009 when we were horrid.

No need to dance on people's graves here.

Oh, and btw - don't have a go at his salary - 'you gotta pay somebody' and I don't think we have seen value for the $9m that the club pays all the players...

im sure Bailey and Gumbleton havnt got 2million dollar portfolios. one things for sure those 2 players that you mentioned dont duck there heads under pressure.

I take it you are saying Davey does duck, is that correct? And your reasoning behind this bold sweeping statement is?

Edited by satyricon

No doubt, if Davey, the Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Medallist that season would have been lost to the club, there would have been much condemnation of Schwab, Connolly, Bailey and any other target at the club that people feel the need to criticise.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Many of us have very short memories. I'd suggest that the majority of supporters saw his contract as a plus at the time.

Let's stop drawing negative conclusions based on limited knowledge of the ups and downs of his pre-season program - and see what happens when the season starts. It would be great if he has a good year - and ironic if he pulls the pin at the end of 2013 with the supporters screaming at the club to force him to play on.

• Like 4

Many of us have very short memories. I'd suggest that the majority of supporters saw his contract as a plus at the time.

Let's stop drawing negative conclusions based on limited knowledge of the ups and downs of his pre-season program - and see what happens when the season starts. It would be great if he has a good year - and ironic if he pulls the pin at the end of 2013 with the supporters screaming at the club to force him to play on.

his knees and ankles will restrict him.

It was a mistake to grant such a long contract for the exact reality we are seeing now.

Flash was sublime in his early years but speed is the first element to suffer.

I keep seeing the Aints game at Etihad in my head...That was the time to say "i have given my all, but i just cannot do anymore"

I take it you are saying Davey does duck, is that correct? And your reasoning behind this bold sweeping statement is?

As wyl pointed out go and replay Saints game at Etihad in 2011, it was a disgraceful performance, his leadership that day was terrible for a guy thats getting 25,000 dollars a game, his cards were marked long before Neeld arrived.

As wyl pointed out go and replay Saints game at Etihad in 2011, it was a disgraceful performance, his leadership that day was terrible for a guy thats getting 25,000 dollars a game, his cards were marked long before Neeld arrived.

oh! one game, sorry thought you meant all the time, and again where do you get the $ figure from or have you seen his bank account?....I am all for giving guys a chance, if he doesn't manage to turn the injury and everything else around this year, do you really think he will be here next year....give it a rest and show some respect to a guy who redefined one part of the game...

oh! one game, sorry thought you meant all the time, and again where do you get the $ figure from or have you seen his bank account?....I am all for giving guys a chance, if he doesn't manage to turn the injury and everything else around this year, do you really think he will be here next year....give it a rest and show some respect to a guy who redefined one part of the game...

i am still trying figure out what part of the game he redefined, and if he did he didnt do it for very long, whats 2million divided by 88 games, about 23,000 bucks a game, you cant handle the truth.

i am still trying figure out what part of the game he redefined, and if he did he didnt do it for very long, whats 2million divided by 88 games, about 23,000 bucks a game, you cant handle the truth.

Again, are we really seeing value for the $9m we pay our players?

Don't single out people.

I do get a bit peeved with posters who just rant and don't back up,

so would you say Davey set the benchmark for the small fwd with his tackling, pressure etc, or are you not old enough to remember that.....

and how do you know he is/was on 2million or do you just treat rumour as fact, I don't mind you raving at me, if you need that in your life to feel good about yourself...feel free...

but you are going to espouse such rubbish, then expect to be challenged, if you don't like that don't post

his knees and ankles will restrict him.

It was a mistake to grant such a long contract for the exact reality we are seeing now.

Flash was sublime in his early years but speed is the first element to suffer.

I keep seeing the Aints game at Etihad in my head...That was the time to say "i have given my all, but i just cannot do anymore"

That was more of a confidence issue that game but it has remained (in many supporters eyes) as the catalyst for his continued downward spiral in form and injury.

I have given my fair share of criticism to Davey

However to suggest that four years ago the MFC did the wrong thing with his contract is ridiculous.

Do the knockers think he has enjoyed spending a large part of the last 4 years injured.

Do they think he has been happy with the way it has panned out.

I am sure he would have preferred to have continued the form that generated his current contract.

If he had not been injured so much he might now be looking at another contract instead of the end of his career.

I have doubts he will make it back to the kind of form needed to play regularly and get a deal beyond 2013.

But everything I have seen suggests he is giving his best go.

Good luck Aaron you deserve the chance.

• Like 1

I don't want to mix in nostalgia, contracts, highlights, lowlights and statistics.

Sadly, alike almost all of our senior players in the last 5 years he did not go when it was his turn.

You won't see me going in to bat for him.

• Like 2

I have given my fair share of criticism to Davey

However to suggest that four years ago the MFC did the wrong thing with his contract is ridiculous.

Do the knockers think he has enjoyed spending a large part of the last 4 years injured.

Do they think he has been happy with the way it has panned out.

I am sure he would have preferred to have continued the form that generated his current contract.

If he had not been injured so much he might now be looking at another contract instead of the end of his career.

I have doubts he will make it back to the kind of form needed to play regularly and get a deal beyond 2013.

But everything I have seen suggests he is giving his best go.

Good luck Aaron you deserve the chance.

Let's attribute that one game to a lack of confidence - and to despair - and leave Old Dee's post as the last statement on the matter!

so would you say Davey set the benchmark for the small fwd with his tackling, pressure etc, or are you not old enough to remember that.....

and how do you know he is/was on 2million or do you just treat rumour as fact, I don't mind you raving at me, if you need that in your life to feel good about yourself...feel free...

but you are going to espouse such rubbish, then expect to be challenged, if you don't like that don't post

the guy signed a massive 4 yr contract and he hasnt fired a single shot, not one, your posting dribble.

I don't want to mix in nostalgia, contracts, highlights, lowlights and statistics.

Sadly, alike almost all of our senior players in the last 5 years he did not go when it was his turn.

You won't see me going in to bat for him.

Spot on, & he as well, is most likely another product of a failing MFC Culture of the past few decades, where we have under performed our list potentials. since the end of Northey it has been a slow steady descent into a mates club. the loss of elite professionalism looks apparent to me. comfort.

the guy signed a massive 4 yr contract and he hasnt fired a single shot, not one, your posting dribble.

Classic reply that was, that's up there with "I know you are but what am I?

Anyway's... Flash will end up as a one club player at the MFC and he has been a valuable servant to the club. He has played 158 games and kicked 159 goals but obviously that means nothing to some.

I wish him well after this year as I am sure he will hang up the boots seasons end. Lets hope he can go out with a bang.

Oh and I hope his sons turn out to be champion footballers who we can pick up under the father and son for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

That was more of a confidence issue that game but it has remained (in many supporters eyes) as the catalyst for his continued downward spiral in form and injury.

Its a pity it was not the only game where Davey shirked his responsibilities and had an attitude meltdown

Spot on, & he as well, is most likely another product of a failing MFC Culture of the past few decades, where we have under performed our list potentials. since the end of Northey it has been a slow steady descent into a mates club. the loss of elite professionalism looks apparent to me. comfort.

FFS, Davey was a rookie pick that went on to win a B&F. His body has given out.

Given the tension of Davey's involvement in the Mifsud saga, Davey is hardly part of a "mates club".

If you are going to sprout generalisations at lease get some factual fodder to back it up.

That was in 2004 when he finished second in the RS award.

He played behind the ball for most of 2009 and took short little handpasses and gave off dinky little kicks. Won the B&F and got the curse of the Bluey. Never been the same since.

Here's a potential cause for all these dramas. The club got rid of all their veterans in the last 5 years plus those who were left for a while got their playing roles and time diminished. It ended with this situation that players didn't have faith that they could play good footy after 30. With a poor medical and fitness record I don't blame them. That with the poor playing culture leads players who have had good seasons like Davey holding out for long deals and big cash.

I see Cloke doing the same thing at Collingwood. Mick is gone and he's looking around saying well Swanny might be on the way down and we've lost a few other players and maybe we wont always be at the top so I'll cash in now.

The problem is now that Davey's body is shot he's still earning his big cheque and potentially hurting the club. Now I don't blame him at all. But if we had a proper culture in place then Davey signs of for 3, gets good medical attention and fitness work and when his body is shot he pulls the pin.

Now it just so happens he was out of contract but I see in Bartram's decision a degree of realism and also an understanding of what is best for the club. At the same time the club tried all options to get him better. With the recruitment of Rodan and Byrnes and even the retention of Joel Macdonald I hope we can show players they can play good footy and be fit after the age of 28 or 30. The benefit then comes when players can back themselves in and sign appropriate contracts.

In the same way if we have a good team and players and getting paid appropriately then when you have a guy who wins your B+F by largely dipping round to the HBF and distrubiting the ball all the while not breaking tags, winning inside ball or playing a complete game then you don't over value him. I don't mean to lash out at Davey and he certainly had a great season playing a very suitable role that year but that should be the standard. Neeld trains players to play roles within a team and I hope Davey can get back to fitness so he can play a forward pocket role, but I doubt it.

Oh by the way Leigh Williams scorched him in the preseason running last year and that's when I knew he was cooked. But a few geniuses on here tried to tell me he didn't need endurance to play as a speed athlete.

I think you've taken too much liberty with what I was trying to say.

I was saying the club continually takes the foot off the professional Gas pedal when we don't have hard task masters.

Re Davey. I was suggesting that he came into the club art a time when we were at a low ebb of 'Tenacity' & 'Intense rugged footballers', where laconic types ruled the day. not a great way for a lightly framed rookie to learn to do the hard physical yards, when the other senior players weren't, & there wasn't much value put on the tough things in footy.

Edited by dee-luded

Here's a potential cause for all these dramas. The club got rid of all their veterans in the last 5 years plus those who were left for a while got their playing roles and time diminished. It ended with this situation that players didn't have faith that they could play good footy after 30. With a poor medical and fitness record I don't blame them. That with the poor playing culture leads players who have had good seasons like Davey holding out for long deals and big cash.

I see Cloke doing the same thing at Collingwood. Mick is gone and he's looking around saying well Swanny might be on the way down and we've lost a few other players and maybe we wont always be at the top so I'll cash in now.

The problem is now that Davey's body is shot he's still earning his big cheque and potentially hurting the club. Now I don't blame him at all. But if we had a proper culture in place then Davey signs of for 3, gets good medical attention and fitness work and when his body is shot he pulls the pin.

Now it just so happens he was out of contract but I see in Bartram's decision a degree of realism and also an understanding of what is best for the club. At the same time the club tried all options to get him better. With the recruitment of Rodan and Byrnes and even the retention of Joel Macdonald I hope we can show players they can play good footy and be fit after the age of 28 or 30. The benefit then comes when players can back themselves in and sign appropriate contracts.

In the same way if we have a good team and players and getting paid appropriately then when you have a guy who wins your B+F by largely dipping round to the HBF and distrubiting the ball all the while not breaking tags, winning inside ball or playing a complete game then you don't over value him. I don't mean to lash out at Davey and he certainly had a great season playing a very suitable role that year but that should be the standard. Neeld trains players to play roles within a team and I hope Davey can get back to fitness so he can play a forward pocket role, but I doubt it.

Oh by the way Leigh Williams scorched him in the preseason running last year and that's when I knew he was cooked. But a few geniuses on here tried to tell me he didn't need endurance to play as a speed athlete.

Bartram's knee was gone, Bone on bone. Miracle cure didn't work. Would still be here if it did They love down there.

Davey got a big pay cheque. Good for him. Negotiated well. Older players that can evolve their game to the coaches wishes such as JMcD will still get a game. Davey hasnt shown he can do that. IN fact he has shown the opposite. Giving him the benefit of the doubt his body is gone. Unfortunately his mind and body language doesn't show he is doing his best to rectify the situation.

• Like 1