Training - Friday 11th January, 2013

Whispering_Jack

Just want to add my two bobs worth.Attended training today. First time at Gosch’s and only second time ever. I will provide some personal observations below but need to explain that my view was frequently obstructed by the hoards of people milling around Ben-Hur for his autograph.

The first thing I liked was the preponderance of big bodies. We will no longer be pushed off the ball like wimps.

Hogan was running laps ( at a fair pace too). I can’t believe he is only 17. He will be huge and looks like he could play now. Dawes trained with the main group and was moving freely. Another poster noted that he was fumbly but, at this stage, his building fitness is the main concern.

I am a big fan of Jake Spencer, so I watched him closely. He is bigger but kept up the pace in running drills. He also hit his targets by foot on the 3 or 4 occasions I saw him kick. It was very interesting to watch him and Jamar contesting marks. Jamar won these contests. It was as if he was saying, “you’re going to have to do better to take my spot kid”.

Dom Barry certainly looked silken and reminded me of a young Aaron Davey. Aaron Davey BTW also looked the goods.

Max Gawn was running laps and looked to be moving very comfortably.

Rhodan looked very fit and dangerous. I would be putting in the “short ones” to avoid running into him.

Overall, I was really impressed with what I saw. The simulation type drills particularly. The wind was flukey but the ball movement was confident and accurate.

Our skills looked much improved

What did the great man say ?

How was the outfit?

What is he like ?

I mean what is he really like?

Of course there's nothing wrong with being worried about your position in the team, it is just a little out of the ordinary to hear someone verbalize that. Comes across as a little insecure, which is not going to help him keep that spot he's worried about.

Anyway I'm sure he has the goods to make it. Look at all the adversity he's overcome already.

actually not true, IMO.

the players you here about who are driven by the Fear of losing or being beaten are insecure. this is the thing they Use to get they're drive going.

its the insecure ones who give in that fail.

IMO confidence & inner security are different beasts.

I know plenty of people with heaps of confidence that aren't much chop, they think they're alright.

Focus, determination to succeed, & persist, persist, persist...

fitz has the tools to make it, if he wants it.

It was probably nothing more than a comment between friends and probably should have remained so rather than posting it on here where it should be patently obvious it would create a raft of posts expressing concern. I can only hope Fitz doesn't read these forums.

From why I saw at training this morning Fitzy will be well and truly in the mix this season. He moves so well and I predict he will be a dominent force in the VFL with some opportunities being given during the AFL season. Watch him for 2014. Agree with BH re Barry. He moves like a young Michael Long.

• Like 2

This is brilliant news, a fit Davey would be such a blessing as he is not a might/may be a star, he is a star when fit and right, I was sure he is cooked, happy happy joy joy, if he's not done yet.

Dom Barry certainly looked silken and reminded me of a young Aaron Davey. Aaron Davey BTW also looked the goods.

That was the largest number of people I've ever seen watch training. I didn't count, but there were at least 100 in attendance.

I watched training with "Bitter but Optimistic". He was incognito, but it didn't take too much imagination to appreciate what a fine specimen he'd be in full regalia.

I won't go into too much depth, but I thought the standard of their full ground drill in blustery conditions was excellent. The ball didn't hit the ground often, but when it did it was kicked to the advantage of the receiver and easy to run on to.

Good to see Evans training. His kicking is the query, but I like what he offers with pace. Matt Jones is a good size and moves well. Terlich has nice footskills. Hogan was running lap after lap at a really good pace. He was standing next to Watts after the session and they were the same height. Dawes trained with the main group. Toumpas had his calf strapped and was in rehab, but he was running OK and kicking the footy with no problems, so I suspect it's a minor niggle. Tapscott didn't train with the main group, nor did Magner and Sylvia. Grimes was back in full training. I didn't see Garland or the coach.

It was a pretty light session that finished by repeat sprints over roughly 70 metres. There were three groups - best runners pitted with each other, with Nicholson dominating the best group. It was good to see Viney and Barry both with the best group. Blease dominated the final group. Admittedly he was with the defenders, but it was still nice to see him clearly at the front of each sprint and well ahead of last year's efforts. There were 7 or 8 in each group.

Others will have different insights and add more detail, but I have to say that I love the look of Barry. He's definitely the closest player I've seen in looks to Michael Long; if not a tad taller. He's skinny, but wiry and those players are quite often 'sneaky strong'. He has excellent endurance already, did well in the repeat sprints, has great evasive ability, pace, is a really good left foot kick and looks to have a footy brain. It's called class.

Morale is good with plenty of voice and encouragement. While having a drink and stretching before the next drill there was constant talk with players urged to keep up their intensity, "don't drop off", etc.

We just need that midfield to get going this year. It's most definitely the key.

Bloody good report. Thanks.

From why I saw at training this morning Fitzy will be well and truly in the mix this season. He moves so well and I predict he will be a dominent force in the VFL with some opportunities being given during the AFL season. Watch him for 2014. Agree with BH re Barry. He moves like a young Michael Long.

I think Fitzy is going to be competing with Pedersen for the third tall spot. At the moment Pedersen has the front running, but he will need to keep on is toes because If he fails to deliver Fitz will be willing and eager to step in and take it off him. I don't think he's ready to play as a focal forward like Clark or Dawes yet, but the mobile high half forward is perfect for him, and he can certainly step into the ruck if needed.

For those into monster training reports, here's a superb FNQ Demon sized report from Crusty Demon on BF with many thanks. Enjoy:

Ok lads. Just arrived home after my first appearance at a Dees training session.

Overall, impressed with the skills and fitness of the group as a whole. I'll go through briefly what training they did and then go through individuals and my thoughts. Remember, these are my thoughts on what I saw, others may be of different opinion. It is hard to focus on every player throughout the whole 2 hours. But I feel I had a good grasp on how most went and looked over the 2 hour session.

Pre 9.30am

I showed up at 9.15 to find Viney and Nicholson already doing kicking drills to each other. Safe to say after watching for 5 mins that Viney's kicking is in a class above Nicholson. Nicho's kicking looks to have improved slightly and obviously is working hard to improve further by extra training. Awesome to see a young kid in Viney getting there early and working on his skills. Body looks incredible for an 18yr old as well. Safe to say we have a good one here.

9.30am

The main group arrives and start doing stretches. Toumpas right calf is strapped but moves ok. Looks to be precautionary. Gawn is also there with no strapping anywhere on his leg. He joins in on running a lap with main group after stretches. No sign of Trengove or Garland. I can't see Nelld either. That's not to say he wasn't there, I just didn't see him.

Tappscott, Sylvia, Magner, Clark and Stark(I think) looks to be in the rehab group and walked laps. Clark looks good though and did some small kicking and handball drills in the first hour. Most likely easing him back but he looked fit.

Main group do some more stretching after a lap before running another half lap, more stretches, then another half lap. Joel Mac and Howe look to be the guys who keep the group upbeat. Both seem well liked amongst the players. Gawn still in main group moving well but once the running drills start he joins the rehab group.

Some short sharp running drills start before Rawlings(doesn't look like Neeld is here)addresses the main group. Some handpassing drills begin with Byrnes and Jetta looking good here. Windy conditions and getting hot. Big guys like Sellar and Spencer struggled a little. Clark does the drill off to the side with Leigh Brown. Grimes is in main group and moving well. Davey is growing his hair for those who care about the fashion the players are bringing into 2013. Dunn mustouche looks a thing of the past, clean shaven thank god. Dawes is also in main group with Right knee strapped, but moving ok.

10.00am

Kicking drill begins with players kicking to a player 20 metres in front of them(paired up). Toumpas looks an elite kick. Never misses a target and has great hands off the deck. Looks a player. Barry looks really good as well in the kicking drills. First time I've seen him and I was impressed tbh. Skinny but moves well and has a high skill set in all areas. Couch and Pederson sprayed some kicks in windy conditions. Was impressed by Evans as well. Haven't seen him for awhile and was impressed with everything he did today. Clark joins in the kicking drill and looks ok.

Main group has a breather and does more stretching. Sylvia walking laps with Stark(I think).

Rawlings addresses group again and they break off into 3 groups(Forwards/Mids and Backs). From what I can see, Bail, Blease, Howe, Pederson, Fitzpatrick, Byrnes, Davey, Dawes and Kent go forward. Frawley, TMac, JMac, Strauss, Nicholson, Watts, Dunn, Jetta, Gillies, Davis and Terlich go down back. The rest are midfield including Rodan who looks a good trainer. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Hogan was running laps and doing drills with coaches off to the side of main group. Pretty sure it;s him. He's a big boy for a 17 yr old. A few years in the gym and he will be a monster.

The drill has the defence guys running it out of defence finding a midfield target(along each boundary, nothing through the middle) and then the midfielder hits up a leading forward who hits the goals. The guys did this drill quite well. TMac's kicking looks to have improved hitting every target. Terlich looks ready made out of defence. Should play games for us this year. Watts in defence looks quick from boundary. Him and Strauss and to a certain extent Frawley look to be go to guys to take it out of defence. Midfielders worked hard. Viney again impressing in this drill. Jones kicking looks to have gone to another level. Evans looked sharp as well as Rodan. Byrnes looked lively down forward and Davey looked ok also. Pederson hands look strong but sprayed some shots. Dawes hands looked sloppy. I know he had issues with a hand a year or two ago, hopefully not an issue.

10.30am

Main group has a breather before starting a pressure drill where Rodan and Frawley show main group how it's done. Toumpas hasn't joined in for last couple of drills and looks to be done for the day. The aboriginal boys look good in this drill. Then a handballing in traffic drill starts where Watts, Jones, Rodan and Barry stand out hitting targets and alluding pressure player. Howe keeping players upbeat and Dawes high fiving players also. Tynan also showed good hands in this drill. Then there's another handballing drill where the player with the ball gets tackled and must release ball and hit a target by hand. Jetta and Evans looked good in this drill as did Jones and Viney.

Then players move 30 metres apart and do kicking drills. Big guys struggled with the conditions while Barry stood out for me. Looks a real player. Byrnes also looked good out of the new guys. Watts and Strauss didn't miss a target while Spencer was horrible not hitting a target. Players have a short drinks break before doing a 2 on 2 pressure drill where a player has to allude 2 tacklers and hit a running player with a handpass. Davey looked good in this drill. Looks sharp today. Rawlings definitely taking over group. Neil Craig looking on but not saying much.

11.00am

Players break off into respective groups again. Forwards have shots on goal including snaps. Byrnes stood out while Pederson continued to struggle with his kicking. Gawn continues to run laps. Look fit and strong. Stoppage work for the midfield. Royal running them through stoppage work with Viney, Jones, McKenzie and Grimes doing the grunt work getting it out to the running players Barry, Evans, Matt Jones and Taggert who then hits up one of the ruckmen in Spencer and Jamar. McKenzies kicking looks to have slightly improved while Matt Jones looks to have a great kick on him. Should get game time this year. But geez Barry looked good as that running player. Those doubting him might eat there words soon enough. The kid looks like he can play.

Rehab group looks to have gone. Hogan still running laps. Obviously trying to get some miles into the legs. Did not do any drills throughout the day with main group. Main group then starts running drills doing 400 metre runs in pairs before doing shuttle runs in groups of 8. Short breather, then does it again. Howe looks fit while the usual good runners stand out in this drill, Jones, Nicho, TMac. Matt Jones looked strong also. Watts, Dunn and Jamar just did laps while Evans and Taggert did not join in running. Either did Dawes who looks like is done for the day but does encourage runners from the sidelines. New players look like they are fitting in really well in main group. Blease endurance running looks to have improved. Did not see him blowing too hard and completed all running drills ok.

Dunn looks sore and leaves while main group does some jogging and stretching to finish day. Good signs from Nicho and Dawes who give high fives to all players on the session. Main group leaves however Nath Jones goes up one end with Neil Craig to work on his banana shots on goal. Most seem to go through. A small midfield group stay behind to work on some stoppage drill where Pederson and Spencer taps it to a player who breaks a tackle and runs on. Midfield group were McKenzie, Grimes, Barry, Viney, Evans and Matt Jones. Nath Jones joins group as I was leaving.

11.30am

Finish.

Overall was really impressed with the group. New kids look good. Viney will add grunt and his skills are fine. Barry looks a player. Quick, elusive and has good skills. Wasn't an extremely tough session, but the players looked sharp and focused. Not sure why Neeld wasn't there, but Rawlings was the one to take over. Better than Royal I suppose. A short word on each player is below for those who want to read more.

1 Hogan, Jesse (new) Wasn't in main group but did laps and some short drills with Leigh Brown. Looks big and strong for his age.

2 Jones, Nathan
n Super trainer. Kicking has improved further and looked fit. Could take another step forward in 2013.

4 Watts, Jack Trained well enough. Looks lazy at time, but is just his demeanour. Skills were excellent as usual. Not bigger in size from what I noticed.

5 Toumpas, Jimmy (new) Had his right calf strapped but joined in early on. No running though. His kicking is elite already.

6 Dawes, Chris (new) Hands looked fumbly at times, and had his knee strapped. Didn't do much running, but did most drills ok.

7 Viney, Jack (new) Professional. Training before main group arrived and did all drills really well. The myth about his bad kicking is lies. Kid will be a gun.

8 Frawley, James Didn't take much note of Chip. But from what I saw he looked solid as usual. Looks fit and strong. Big year expected.

9 Trengove, Jack Was a no show. Didn't see him on sidelines anywhere. Still recovering obviously.

10 Byrnes, Shannon (new) Looked real professional. Did everything really well. Accurate kick, quick and a solid trainer. Will play round 1.

11 Clark, Mitchell Joined in early but did no running. Looks fit though. Can't be much longer before he joins main group.

12 Sylvia, Colin Was in rehab group. Ran some laps and disappeared. Looked to be moving ok and in good spirits.

13 McKenzie, Jordie Good trainer. Works hard and looks to have improved his kicking.

14 Dunn, Lynden Did most drills until the last bit of running. Looks set for defence again. Looked sore after session but nothing major.

15 Rodan, David (new) Set for the midfield. Quick hands and great off the deck. Will slot in nicely, most likely as a super sub and bust player.

17 Blease, Sam looked ok to me. Ran well and skills looked nice. looks set for a crumbing forward role from what I saw today.

19 Strauss, James Didn't see much of him, but his kicking stood out. Looks fit and no issues with leg at all. Looks set to be in starting 22 for 2013.

20 Garland, Colin No show.

21 Pederson, Cameron (new) Moves well for a big man. His hands looks strong but his kicking looks like it needs a work. But set for forward/2nd ruck role.

22 Magner, James R * Was in the rehab group. Moved ok though with just running laps.

23 Tynan, Josh * Wore a cap for most of the day. Looked ok without standing out. Good hands off deck and in air.

25 McDonald, Tom Kicking looks to have improved. Runs really well. Quiet out on the field though.

26 Nicholson, Daniel Quick. Up close he's very fast. His kicking still needs work, but should play a lot of games in 20 on todays display. Has some voice out on the ground as well.

27 Gillies, Tom (new) Looks big and strong. Weird seeing someone else in #27. Did all drills though and looked solid enough.

28 Macdonald, Joel Big voice on the field. Nothing special today, but nothing bad either. Will be a solid depth player moving forward next couple of years.

30 Sellar, James Like Joel Mac, nothing special but looked ok. Was in defence group.

31 Grimes, Jack * Did all drills. Looked good too. moved well and stood out in the running drills. Was being used as an in and under stoppage player.

32 Evans, Michael Was very impressed with him today. Moved freely and kicked well. Will play games this year on todays effort.

33 Barry, Dominic (new) Really impressive. Small frame but skills look quality. Looks a player.

34 Kent, Dean (new) Was in the forward group and looked solid enough.

35 Tapscott, Luke Was in rehab group and ran laps. Moved ok though.

36 Davey, Aaron Worked hard all day. Hopefully back to the davey we know and love. Was playing as a small forward

37 Gawn, Max Ran laps most of the day and looked big and strong. Hopefully in the main group soon.

38 Howe, Jeremy Liked among the group. Did all drills well and ran particularly hard.

39 Jetta, Neville Another player I was i

40 Jamar, Mark

41 Davis, Troy

42 Spencer, Jake

43 Taggert, Rory

44 Bail, Rohan

45 Jones, Matt (new)

46 Terlich, Dean (new)

47 Couch, Thomas R

48 Fitzpatrick, Jack

49 Stark, Nathan R (new) Small guy,

50 Clisby, Mitch R (new)

• Like 8

I convince/delude myself each year into thinking our list is better than it actually is.

But, this year, it seems to have much more depth and better balance to it - Neeld, Viney and co seem to have tweaked it very nicely indeed.

I'm excited about all of the new recruits - and also by the prospect that Davey and Evans may be able to add greater dimensionality to our list this season.

Only January obviously, but I'm quietly optimistic that we will show tremendous improvement this year.

Thanks for the reports fellas - really appreciate them living in Sydney.

• Like 1

Of all the selections in last years drafts and trades, the biggest surprise was probably Dom Barry.

The club had skinned the 'skinnies' from our list and the recruiters were clearly after more mature bodies - guys who are ready to go.

Yet out of nowhere we also picked up this slim kid from Ballarat. i heard he really pushed himself at draft camp and his results were outstanding. .

He may not get regular games in the Ones till his body is ready, and that's fine. Byrnes and Rodan can do the job till Barry can take over. There's probably some mentoring going on there too.

Fitzpatrick looks great, until he gets the ball.

Sellars and Dawes worry me as well.

We cant carry too many unco talls.

I think I mentioned on here that we went too hard on getting Dawes.

Hopefully these big guys prove me wrong , and can display some high quality skills.

Maybe I have been spoilt by seeing Jimmy followed by Jeff White but the rucking/marking role is so important these days .

TAB odds for the Dees to finish top 4 are now out to 101-1. Sure it's unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Just ask WCE supporters.

Guest José Mourinho

I've formed my ideal 22 for the 2013 season after reading this:

FB: Strauss / Frawley / Nicholson

HB: Garland / McDonald / Watts

C: Trengove / Grimes / Jones

HF: Howe / Clark / Sylvia

FF: Byrnes / Dawes / Davey

R: Jamar / McKenzie / Rodan

I: Viney / Toumpas / Pederson / Blease

E: Tapscott / Spencer / Dunn

Ok, now off to the polo!

Edited by José Mourinho

A question to BH and others who have seen a bit of training over the years.

I watched training regularly from about 2008 on and one player who was just fantastic to watch was Jamie Bennell and he was regularly picked as the player to surprise. Fast, skillful, found the ball, made good decisions and looked like he'd be the next Chris Johnson/Graeme Johncock to me. I haven't seen Dom Barry train this year but the reports are very positive. Can you see something in Barry that differentiates him from Bennell?

FWIW I think Bennell's career is far from over and surrounded by bigger bodies and a more confident team at WCE he could surprise once he overcomes his knee problems. Unfortunately for us he just didn't find the ball.

I watched training regularly from about 2008 on and one player who was just fantastic to watch was Jamie Bennell and he was regularly picked as the player to surprise. Fast, skillful, found the ball, made good decisions and looked like he'd be the next Chris Johnson/Graeme Johncock to me. I haven't seen Dom Barry train this year but the reports are very positive. Can you see something in Barry that differentiates him from Bennell?

FWIW I think Bennell's career is far from over and surrounded by bigger bodies and a more confident team at WCE he could surprise once he overcomes his knee problems. Unfortunately for us he just didn't find the ball.

You will only know this once he starts playing, Bennell struggled to find the ball enough among other things. Barry has the makings of a player but time will tell.

I never saw Bennell in the light I see Barry. Barry moves with a distinctive class, is a much better kick, and my gut feel says he's got an elite footy brain.

If Barry is soft, like Bennell, he'll disappoint. If he's not we have a magnificent find on our hands.

A lot of the reports say that Dawes seems to be fumbling (will fit in well - lol) but I was told by a Coll%##?>d tragic that Dawes had a knuckle(I think)badly crushed (someone stood on it) and was operated on. Not sure whether this was last year which may explain his tentativeness when grabbing the ball.

I must say I am a little concerned with Dawes being completely ready for Round 1. He seems to have joined main training late and doesn't seem to be making the impact in training that I would have hoped for a major signing. Maybe we were spoilt when we got Clark.

A lot of the reports say that Dawes seems to be fumbling (will fit in well - lol) but I was told by a Coll%##?>d tragic that Dawes had a knuckle(I think)badly crushed (someone stood on it) and was operated on. Not sure whether this was last year which may explain his tentativeness when grabbing the ball.

I must say I am a little concerned with Dawes being completely ready for Round 1. He seems to have joined main training late and doesn't seem to be making the impact in training that I would have hoped for a major signing. Maybe we were spoilt when we got Clark.

a guy called mueller kicked 8, 6, 6 in the 1948 PF, GF, GFR

he was missing two fingers on one hand

• Like 1