Jack Trengove in 2013

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Will have a break out year IMO.

Pace issue will resolve (injury permitting) with less weight/loading and he has spent a year added crucial defensive dimensions.

He covers the ground well, is a ball winner, spreads pretty well and is good overhead for his size. This year he will get help in the middle and might even get to rest forward occassionally (probably a must if interchange restrictions are on the way).

12 brownlow votes = break even.

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Gee, some spirited defense of a player who had a pretty poor 2012. Some strange justifications going on, too.

Robbo the handballs/tackles tats you've rolled out suggest to me that Trenners was often second to the pill and couldn't break away from packs to give himself time to kick.

@BenHur ... formally acknowledging your reply (which is a good one by the way).

There are a lot of highly rated 21yo's (and under) well ahead of him OldDee. Gaff, Swallow, Martin, Redden,Sidebottom, Fyfe, Greene, Atley, Hannebery, plus a few others ... are all players well ahead of Trengove in terms of their output and development so far.

It's a concern. We should be seeing a player comfortably sitting among that group.

Arguably they are all surrounded by far better midfields than ours. Makes a big difference. Des Headland looked like a star in the awesome Brisbane premiership teams but was never as good when he went to Freo cause he didn't have the gun midfielder to support him.

Also, Trengove was chasing the opposition from start to finish this year when all the others had given up, he ran himself into the ground. If the team is pulling it's collective weight, blokes like Jack won't have to pull the others along.

• Like 3

Trengove was ordinary in 2012, but in no way was he gifted games. A rest may have been an idea, but was far from deserving being dropped.

General consensus on here was that were underlying injury problems that lead to a sub-par 2012, and I firmly believe that was the case, although I don't think we will hear the club confirm it.

Either way, we will wait and see. Needs to be a lot better, and I am confident he will be.

Edited by Forest Demon

Gee, some spirited defense of a player who had a pretty poor 2012. Some strange justifications going on, too.

Robbo the handballs/tackles tats you've rolled out suggest to me that Trenners was often second to the pill and couldn't break away from packs to give himself time to kick.

@BenHur ... formally acknowledging your reply (which is a good one by the way).

Played a defensive role all year and never got towelled up, was shown a new side to his game by Neeld. This kid will be a very very good player

• Like 3

Prefer not to think about your arse rpfc.

Seriously that is your opinion I have a different view.

I thought he had a number of ordinary games in 2012.

The fact there was no one at Casey to replace him supports my view.

I hope your right, we will see in the year ahead

is this a haiku?

• Like 1

I agree that he's super important and needs to become A grade. He needs to become our Trent Cotchin. That's why he was drafted. Interestingly, after his third year Cotchin averaged 18 disposals and after his third year Trengove has averaged 19.

Great comparison IMO

We were so poor last year that I just looked for those that actually worked hard and gave a sh!t - and Trengove did.

He is capable of so much more but I don't let the 'expectations' game allow Blease or Magner to have better years just because they were not expected to have the years they did.

Trengove was just outside the top handful of players in my eyes and that was reflected in the Bluey.

Lets compare his stats to Dustin Martin, the very next pick in the draft. Keep in mind he is rated highly and currently plays in a more successful side

257 kicks (6th at Richmond - 58 more than JT)

190 handballs (6th at Richmond - 9 less than JT)

63 marks (16th at Richmond - 25 less than JT)

60 tackles (7th at Richmond - 39 less than JT)

23 goals (4th at Richmond - 15 more than JT)

JT's stats are comparable with arguable the highest rated player from this draft. While he may have 'looked slow' at times during 2012, he was by no stretch being left behind by his teammates.

Comments above that Trengove is likely to be on the outer in years to come are laughable. He will continue to be one of the first picked for the next 10 years

Trengove played 2 more games than Martin. sho why are you looking at total stats when you should be doing averages

Average disposals

Martin - 22.2

Trengove - 17.4

Its not even close, and 17 touches game for a full time midfielder in todays game is a disgrace.

Trengove had a terrible season and he was lucky to not be dropped to Casey. I remember in a lot of games he had only 4 or 5 touches to half time, before getting a lot of cheap ball in the 2nd half when the game was over

His season was on par with Tom Scullys at GWS. Neither of then are anywhere near as good as D.Martin.

Edited by hogans_heroes

He'll be a very good player for the MFC in the years to come, I just hope he becomes an A-grade player for the club.

Had a difficult season but grew into it as the year went on.

Strange to single out his disposal average - given the team as a whole got far less of the footy this year and he was playing a more defensive role.

Young bloke, huge expectation, hell first year as co-captain with regards to external issues impacting and adding further scrutiny to his performance, new coach and game plan that played him in a defensive forward role as part of a development KPI with which the coach sang his praises on many occasions for achieving set KPI's.

Cosidering all of the above, I rated Jacks efforts this year as pretty admirable and have little doubt he will really impose himself upon games next season.

• Like 1

Played a defensive role all year and never got towelled up, was shown a new side to his game by Neeld. This kid will be a very very good player

How easily some seem to gloss over this (change of role). Neeld in his appraisal of Jack was that it was commendable he did everything that was asked of him.

Sumary: He was developing a diferent side to his game.

Trengove was clearly injured. He is a great player and will be every bit the player that poor troubled soul Martin is.

Trengove played 2 more games than Martin. sho why are you looking at total stats when you should be doing averages

Average disposals

Martin - 22.2

Trengove - 17.4

Its not even close, and 17 touches game for a full time midfielder in todays game is a disgrace.

Trengove had a terrible season and he was lucky to not be dropped to Casey. I remember in a lot of games he had only 4 or 5 touches to half time, before getting a lot of cheap ball in the 2nd half when the game was over

His season was on par with Tom Scullys at GWS. Neither of then are anywhere near as good as D.Martin.

So who was the full time mid you are talking about, it was't Trengove.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no concerns regarding JT. If anything, he was too focused on team acts this year. If you actually watch his game, he is doing all of the hard things, trying to set the standard for the rest of the team, and didn't quite get the balance right between that and getting the ball. That being said he was still right up there in possession counts, and that will only improve as he settles more into his role.

like McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Scully and Watts has not yet become the champion player expected with a top5 pick

there has not been a champion player in red and blue since Stynes and Lyon were running around

now we can add Viney, Toumpas and Hogan to that list with a minimum 5 year waiting period

we continue our endless wait

like McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Scully and Watts has not yet become the champion player expected with a top5 pick

there has not been a champion player in red and blue since Stynes and Lyon were running around

now we can add Viney, Toumpas and Hogan to that list with a minimum 5 year waiting period

Not wanting to get into the definition debate again but I would say since Flower.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for you Curry and Beer as you obviously got no joy from watching Neitz kicking goals or Farmer weaving his magic or Yze ripping apart the magpies regularily on the Queens Birthday.

Come to think of it you are a negative person and most likely dont even really support the Mighty Dees

My god, I read threads like this and I think do people watch games? Do they understand football? Then certain posts make me think that we have some of the stupidest supporters ever! In a team that performed poorly, he had an above average season for the team, was a solid contributor most weeks, and worked on clear deficiencies in his game. He did not have many best on ground performances, but there is clearly nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for you Curry and Beer as you obviously got no joy from watching Neitz kicking goals or Farmer weaving his magic or Yze ripping apart the magpies regularily on the Queens Birthday.

Come to think of it you are a negative person and most likely dont even really support the Mighty Dees

yes i enjoyed all that

mark riccuito - 8 x all-australian

james hird - 5 x all-australian

nathan buckley - 7 x all-australian

ben cousins - 5 x all-australian

chris judd - 6 x all-australian

these are champion players. Exc. Buckley, who was runner-up twice, the rest delivered premierships

can you put aside the emotion you feel from a fellow supporter expressing a negative view to look at the truth. To pretend that I don't know what I'm talking about or that I am not a true demon is jut your self-defence mechanism kicking in.

do you realise that in the entire time all those players were consistently performing we had just TWO players even MAKE the side, that is Neitz and McDonald, twice each. That's why we spent the 2000s being pretenders at best. Those clubs had elite performers that led their sides to glory.

even gifted with the best talent in the land over the last 6 drafts we do not have a player anywhere near the calibre of those listed above. Our only strong contenders at the moment for star players are Clark and Jones, neither of whom has a CV in the same stratosphere as the aforementioned players. The reason is partially to do with money, but more to do with the fact we are one of the loser clubs with a poor culture. It has nothing to do with choices we made on draft night but the fact that our machine is incapable of producing star players. Our optimism rests solely on yet another coach, with yet another list, as we near a half-century without success. If you disagree, bump this thread when Jack Trengove, or Watts, or Viney, has 5 all-australian achievements.

again, i am not pretending to make any forecast about where we are headed, i am just stating the obvious truths as they are

it sucks, i hate it, but its the truth.

• Like 4