WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

What ? Not in one draft you say!

All kidding aside this IS a point being overlooked by some. This is the start of the correction. There's more to come.

Whatever's not working or developing by next seasons eos circus will be addressed then and so on.

But as a huge re-boot of .serious experience and budding potential I honestly can't remember an instance.

"This is a serious reformation" of our structure and ability on field.

Edit

I do counter your assertion of where we will finish. 9-12 for me.

...as Martin Luther said in1517 - October 31st I believe, so very late in the trade period.
  • Like 3

Dawes, Clark and Hogan mean we don't have to worry about getting a tall forward for the better part of a decade or longer.

Pick 20 will deliver whoever has it a very good prospect. But that need for that pick is assuaged by us having Pick 4, Viney, an improved Trengove, and more involvement from Howe and Blease.

Lets not get head of ourselves, Yet again!

Hows about we keep the kids hungry to develop, & for success.

not wrong, an injury free pre season could see col wonders.

good effort season gone considering all, I'm happy he pulled his head in.

on the dawes situation, pick 20 will do the job.

Yes other clubs have picked up great players for pick 20 but that doesn't mean every pick 20 is a superstar, we have seen this in much of melbournes drafting.

Dawes will provide a big body in our forward line for perhaps the next six to eight years and lets face it, we all want see the red and blue with to big blokes down forward, I've been aching for it to happen since neitz hung up his boots.

Everybody always wants to pay less, but realistically i don't think its a bad deal. Pretty even.

Pederson would also be great to have, grab both the big fellas, a back up is good, and who knows what could happen with our rucks in the future.

they have been all over the shop.

Jones, Sylvia, Trengove, Grimes, Howe, Blease, McKenzie with the addition of Byrnes, Viney, Wines/Toumpas/O'rourke and Taggert. I think we can afford to use 20 on Dawes.

There'a a lot of potential there, but only one player listed has ever had one A grade year in the midfield. It's clearly our greatest area of concern. That said, 2 or 3 'A' grade mids completely change the fabric of a side.

I watched Hawthorn a lot this year and the significance of Mitchell and Sewell was extraordinary. With those two dominating, plus help from Lewis when he wasn't forward they were clearly a top 2 team. Without those two they don't make top 4.

Carlton were flying until Murphy and Carrazzo got injured. With those two playing all year they make top 4 and without them for a chunk of the season they don't play finals.

Two more A grade mids with Jones continuing to improve (making 3) and we play finals, imo. That's the significance of quality midfielders. We had Jones having an A grade year and our next best mid in my opinion had a C grade year. Some will say Grimes had a B grade year in the midfield, but on the whole I'd rate his year as C grade, but there was enough promise to show he can significantly improve. He trained with the back-line all preseason, which wasn't ideal for a midfield role.

But as you point out we should start developing an array of young midfield talent from next year. How quickly we can develop some A graders is the key.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 5

Melbourne's rebuilding is still a work in progress, we have pulled together some very good forwards that as mentioned above should stand us in good stead for a good while. We have a couple of good midfielders coming in and hopefully we will see some lift from others around in other positions, if not then they now know that they will not delisted or traded. I believe we should be aiming by the end of next year to be playing the type of football Neeld has said we will. That we will be showing promise of what our players can do to the public in general attracting more supporters and that we will be a more attractive home to other players, having said that its not as if too many if any of the targets that we have been going after have knocked us or our $$ back. The inclusion of several players who have always barracked for the Dees is a bonus as this will hopefully inspire a greater sense of belonging and purpose. Go Dees lets hope that 2013 will be the start of a decade of great football for Melbourne.

• Like 1

I can't see that this will probably end up as a straight swap (player for pick ),Walsh has already broadcast this idea. Makes me think some convoluted deal will be done or a current offer refined.

Pies have to deal eventually, they're just full of themselves; how unusual lol

• Like 2

Wow I am amazed at the love for Dawes on here. If he was any good why on earth would Collingwood who are in a window to win flags want to get rid of him, I mean he is a key position player which are much harder to find yet they dont wont him. May be it has something to do with the fact he cant mark and doesnt kick many goals, yeah I can see how he is going to fit in at Melbourne. I can see this off season being the start of the end for Mark Neeld.

I am amazed at the way some of our supporters are so willing to talk trash about a Premiership KPF who is 24, has played more finals than almost every player on our list, has a professional attitude, a great training reigimen and tremendous upside. Dawes would be an excellent pickup for Melbourne.

Add to that list Grimes' continued improvement and hopefully (oh dear) an injury-free pre-season for Colin Sylvia. I'd love to see him play next year in the guts with those boys.

I think that Neeld sees tremendous upside in our young mids. If Trengove, Grimes, Sylvia, Mckensie, Jones, Viney, Pick 4, Taggert, Ray?, Blease all play throughout the season we may well have a better midfield than many expect. Also Davey, Byrnes, Tapscott, Bail, Magner and Couch could play in there also if their form warrants it. Our midfield is bad compared to top teams, but not as dire as it was last year. Also the Draft is a lottery, its a risk, even though pick 20 has value a lot of it depends what the 19 picks before us end up being. Even then we have to develop the player, trust that they will have good luck with injuries and be able to handle a first year training load well enough to make the AFL team. In our current situation a proven player like Dawes is a solid preposition and we will still gain at least 3, possibly 4 with Ray, quality mids in this draft, before even talking about later picks and rookies (where we have done our best work the last few years).

Edit: Forgot Barry

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 2

I am amazed at the way some of our supporters are so willing to talk trash about a Premiership KPF who is 24, has played more finals than almost every player on our list, has a professional attitude, a great training reigimen and tremendous upside. Dawes would be an excellent pickup for Melbourne.

But don't get sucked into the spin.

Fact is Buckley has Dawes on the outer with their signing of Qlynch.

That combined with his putrid form has his value bottoming out so all this talk of Maggies wanting more then pick 20 is a joke. Pick 20 is prob a bit rich considering where the maggies have him placed on the pecking order.

I think he had a down year and could be a player for us but for god sakes MFC don't roll over in the trade. Pick 20, MFC will need Maggies 2nd pick. Pick 40ish back but prefer player trade involving Stef Martin somwhere.

Edited by jacey

But don't get sucked into the spin.

Fact is Buckley has Dawes on the outer with their signing of Qlynch.

That combined with his putrid form has his value bottoming out so all this talk of Maggies wanting more then pick 20 is a joke. Pick 20 is prob a bit rich considering where the maggies have him placed on the pecking order.

I think he had a down year and could be a player for us but for god sakes MFC don't roll over in the trade. Pick 20, MFC will need Maggies 2nd pick. Pick 40ish back but prefer player trade involving Stef Martin somwhere.

Wasn't suggesting we roll over, but rather that Dawes could have huge upside for the Demons and that our midfield will be improved signficantly next year by this draft and our current players regardless of pick 20. I trust Harrington to get the right deal done, he's nailed this trade period thus far.

Edited by deejammin'

This will be a very good indication of where we are as far as horse trading goes. .

I can't see it being a pick 20 straight off. Will be interesting :)

It is going to be Land of the Giants down at the Demons. Almost a third of the list are 193cm + (6' 4" in the old)

Gawn 208, Spence 203, Fitz & Clark 200, Martyn & Jamar 198, Watts & Sellar 196, Hogan 195, McDonald 194, Frawley, Dawes and maybe Pederson all 193.

Another 8 are b/n 190 - 192cm.

Now if they could all learn how to use that collective beef bruise free footy would be a thing of the past

I can't see that this will probably end up as a straight swap (player for pick ),Walsh has already broadcast this idea. Makes me think some convoluted deal will be done or a current offer refined.

Pies have to deal eventually, they're just full of themselves; how unusual lol

Dawes would have every right to be filthy with Collingwood; from all reports he signed a 3 year deal with them beginning last year that was supposedly well below what was offered elsewhere, probably by us. So this year how do they repay him, they replace him with a 28 year old from West Coast and they tell him he will also be competing with a new boy in Jackson Paine.

So after telling him he is more or less redundant and will struggle to get a game, he looks elsewhere, picks a club as they probably expected him to and then they come out with this crap.

Seriously, if they play hard ball, he would have every right to seek mediation through the AFL.

Two more A grade mids with Jones continuing to improve (making 3)

I agree with you about needing 3 A grade mids. I guess I feel that Trengove, Grimes and especially Sylvia have the ability to become A grade next year.

Pick 20 could yield a Nat Fyfe. It could yield an Adam Maric. You just don't know what your going to get. We know Dawes has the ability to be a good if not great power forward. Play him purely as a Forward along Clark with someone like Pederson pinch hitting instead and our forward line starts to look a lot more formidable than it did this year.

Chris Dawes is not only a hard, disciplined trainer, but a solid citizen - he is a role model and leader (similar to our captains)

Also, he's interested in coaching and will be a perfect mentor for all our young players.

Pick 20 is a steal.

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/239964/derp.gif

he is still a spud

It's interesting that the Magpie forum consensus is that pick 20 is a fair deal, and they would be rapt to get a pick plus a player. Not that this means anything other than where the average Pie supporter rates him.

Of course THEY will think 20 a good deal !!

We however !!! Lol

That's right, pick up one very short piece of footage of one single incident and go to town on him. Does the old saying "we often see our own faults in others" register with you?

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Love it how channel 9 reported that they have it on good authority that Melbourne and Collingwood will meet on Monday to discuss the Dawes trade. No Sh!t channel 9 ya knobs.

• Like 6

Love it how channel 9 reported that they have it on good authority that Melbourne and Collingwood will meet on Monday to discuss the Dawes trade. No Sh!t channel 9 ya knobs.

That's amazing !!!!