Why Join Melbourne?

CRomey

Depends on the player you are targeting.

If they are fringe players that just can't get regular/consistent opportunities at the top clubs, it'd be about getting more senior games.

If you are an A-grader, it would be more about the person you are. If you want to come for big $$$'s and are happy to play the remainder of your career not worrying about team glory, then you would look at us. I don't think they are the ones that we want.

If you are an A-grader that is all about leaving a Club as they feel that they don't have much more to achieve at your current club (ie have won premiership/s, Brownlow/s, etc), and have at least 3+ years of good service/great play to offer, but most importantly, want to be part of a group of players that want to try and turn the impossible in to reality, then we're the place for you! But again, they will be financially rewarded.

I think, not that it's likely, but a player like Bartel would be that type. I reckon we had a chance 2-3 years ago to make a massive play for him when he seemed out of favour (as much as someone like Bartel can be) when Ablett, Selwood, Kelly, etc were the favoured midfielders, and Jimmy was playing more of a spare parts role (a bloody good one at that!).

If we are to make a significant investment in getting a top-liner, we need to have someone who will be around a minimum of 3 years at their best footy, and at least 5 years on our list.

Seriously guys, there's only 2 reasons ANY player would come to MFC this offseason:

1) Cash

2) No one else wants you

Luckily, we have lots of cash, otherwise we may not have been able to get enough players to fill all the spots we'll have empty soon.

• Like 1

We've got no choice but to back the coaching group, and dare I say "put blind faith" in them.

Rightly or wrongly, no coach of Melbourne has been this brave in a long time. In all likelihood, this is exactly what is needed to fix this place because something is or was rotten.

FYI - I penned an article:

http://backpagelead.com.au/afl/7382-from-best-a-fairest-to-booted-a-forgotten

• Like 2

Guest Rassilon

Seriously guys, there's only 2 reasons ANY player would come to MFC this offseason:

1) Cash

2) No one else wants you

Luckily, we have lots of cash, otherwise we may not have been able to get enough players to fill all the spots we'll have empty soon.

Good points.

However, if RR and his mates continue to savage our playing group on here as they do - when you build a history of eating your own, cash wont help you.

We will be left with b/ - no one else wants you.

Good points.

However, if RR and his mates continue to savage our playing group on here as they do - when you build a history of eating your own, cash wont help you.

We will be left with b/ - no one else wants you.

Don't flatter RR and the rest, nobody at any Footy club takes seriously what is written here, it is a supporter forum, the content is what you would expect it to be, vitriol, rumour, innuendo, keyboard heroics, baseless arguments

The only people who read every line are the 'journalists sitting at the Hun or online journals looking for an angle or topic to plagiarise and publish

The core of our list/group is not crap, we just need a good run at the pre season and a couple of ins, and if you listen to what the Club is saying I fully expect us to get a couple of 'mature experienced players in" attracted by what the club has to offer, most of which we have no idea about because we are not in the inner sanctum

I think there is a third reason - to play regular senior footy. Take Koby Stevens for example - is he prepared to wait 2 or 3 more years, getting 6 or so games a year, until a space opens up in the Eagles midfield? I doubt it, and if he came to the Dees, he would be close to a first 18 player and could expect to play most weeks, injury and form permitting. There are plenty of players at other clubs that would love this sort of opportunity, and we are in a position to offer it.

• Like 2

Guest Rassilon

Don't flatter RR and the rest, nobody at any Footy club takes seriously what is written here, it is a supporter forum, the content is what you would expect it to be, vitriol, rumour, innuendo, keyboard heroics, baseless arguments

Under estimate the "power" of social media at your own peril.

The only people who read every line are the 'journalists sitting at the Hun or online journals looking for an angle or topic to plagiarise and publish

I think they call it appropriation. Never the less when it hits the old media with vitriol used in here it is not good for us. Hence why many think the media is out to get us.

Money aside.

The reason you'd join melbourne is because our FD and coach have identified that YOU are the perfect addition to play a key role in our team. This role will allow you to grow and play in a way you've been wanting to but have been unable to at your current club.

Neeld said they would be identifying and going after certain players to fill positions. The example of Mitch Clark, frustrated forward (behind Brown at Brissie) being developed as a ruck when he knew he was a forward. We came and told him what he wanted to hear, and we were not lying.

Footy players want to realise their potential and play good footy, we're offering them that opportunity.

• Like 5

Money aside.

The reason you'd join melbourne is because our FD and coach have identified that YOU are the perfect addition to play a key role in our team. This role will allow you to grow and play in a way you've been wanting to but have been unable to at your current club.

Neeld said they would be identifying and going after certain players to fill positions. The example of Mitch Clark, frustrated forward (behind Brown at Brissie) being developed as a ruck when he knew he was a forward. We came and told him what he wanted to hear, and we were not lying.

Footy players want to realise their potential and play good footy, we're offering them that opportunity.

Some most uncommon common sense PRB. These are exactly the reasons why MFC will attract high quality personnel. Perhaps not the elite 'stars' so many seem to want, but certainly players with a sound work ethic who want to be the best they can be and who want to be part of an exciting ride to the top. Geez, I'd be excited by that. Go Dees! Go Neeld!

Why?

- Attractive/competitive remuneration.

- Quality facilities.

- Quality football department (debatable).

- Play on the MCG every second week for one of the oldest sporting clubs in the world.

The only thing missing is on-field performance.

If you play for the club you get to directly influence that.

There's 18 teams in the competition, at any given time there are 10 teams who are not performing as well as they'd like i.e. not finals bound. We are one of those clubs, which puts us at a disadvantage when recruiting. But you look at those points above, and it's up to the coaches, recruiters and other staff to sell those positives and convince potential recruits and their managers that we are on track to improve and that they can be a part of that.

• Like 1

Money obviously plays an important role, but most players need another incentive especially when there are other clubs willing to pay the same price, what else is there that we can use?

I'll play.

Dave Misson has an impeccable record at the Swans (2001 - 2007) and Saints (2008 - 2011) of conditioning players to play tough hard footy and to keep running from the first bounce to the final siren.

A player who comes to the Dees knows that if they are prepared to do the work Misson will ensure they are in the best possible physical condition possible. And that s a pretty important box to tick for a player looking to get the best out of themselves.

Misson ranks with Buttifant at the Pies for sustained excellence in preparing players to elite levels of fitness.

As a contrast imagine Essendon trying to sell a player on the merits of 'The Weapon'...

Edited by demoniac
  • Like 2

Not a question of why or who but how - how does Melbourne attract players to join?

First step? Put Mitch Clark front and centre.

For two reasons - if you are trying to recruit good players you should get them to talk with a player who obviously loves the club, is very talented, and is a leader.

And the second reason for why to get Clark involved with the 'seemingly (from a few in this thread) impossible' task of recruiting good players is that he is a good player that we recruited.

(cough)

Edited by rpfc

For two reasons - if you are trying to recruit good players you should get them to talk with a player who obviously loves the club, is very talented, and is a leader.

And the second reason for why to get Clark involved with the 'seemingly (from a few in this thread) impossible' task of recruiting good players is that he is a good player that we recruited.

(cough)

Hate to get all "old dee" on you, but when Clark was recruited the alure factor of the new coaching group would have been far greater than it is now. Clark would have been sold the "we got 10 wins with no key forward, you can make us into a finals contender" speech. This year it would be "we're at rock bottom, help us to get of the canvas!"

Not to mention lastyear we had a midfield built around a bloke who had polled in the top 12 in the brownlow, and a seemingly potent forward line that was just missing a key forward. .

I could excuse players from other clubs who thought the MFC were a sinking ship from the outside looking in.

• Like 1

Hate to get all "old dee" on you, but when Clark was recruited the alure factor of the new coaching group would have been far greater than it is now. Clark would have been sold the "we got 10 wins with no key forward, you can make us into a finals contender" speech. This year it would be "we're at rock bottom, help us to get of the canvas!"

Not to mention lastyear we had a midfield built around a bloke who had polled in the top 12 in the brownlow, and a seemingly potent forward line that was just missing a key forward. .

I could excuse players from other clubs who thought the MFC were a sinking ship from the outside looking in.

Get as "old Dee" as you like DemonWA

• Like 1

Heyy.... What's wrong with the blazer!? :huh: .... Actually....just ignore that. Could be a mighty long response! :lol:

Well RN were would you like me to start.

Yes I know you don't have 4 hours.

It is a relic from 100 years ago

And represents every thing about the MFC that is anchored in a long gone era.

To everyone outside the MFC it represents our lack of relevance in 2012.

Hows that for a three line starter.

As you have no doubt guessed I hate the thing with a vengeance.

Cash whores and those who like the challenge of dragging a club out of the dust.

What we seriously lack are players that other players will want to play with. Even the Dogs have the likes of Boyd, Murphy, Cooney...big names from whom they can learn and develop their own game.

I think the dogs are in a lot of trouble.

I'll play.

Dave Misson has an impeccable record at the Swans (2001 - 2007) and Saints (2008 - 2011) of conditioning players to play tough hard footy and to keep running from the first bounce to the final siren.

A player who comes to the Dees knows that if they are prepared to do the work Misson will ensure they are in the best possible physical condition possible. And that s a pretty important box to tick for a player looking to get the best out of themselves.

Misson ranks with Buttifant at the Pies for sustained excellence in preparing players to elite levels of fitness.

As a contrast imagine Essendon trying to sell a player on the merits of 'The Weapon'...

The Geelong players were fans of the weapon. They seemed to go alright with his training program.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/05/21/327641_gfc.html

Yes what indeed is enticing at Melbourne right now apart from Mitch Clark?

Nathan jones, jeremy howe, tom mcdonald, viney(?), the 2 captains efforts, Neeldy and the coaches, the war chest.. (and great people, best facilities - thanks BB)

People shouldnt forget we had about the biggest injury list, for most of the year..

Maybe it was clear early on, that we'd never make top 8, so lets go for bottom 4?? (not tanking, of course..)

..Like the WCE did 2010 - 2011.

Once organised, we should rise up the ladder quickly, hopefully something like in 1998.. and hopefully its next season.

• Like 1