• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

DEATH BY A THOUSAND KICKS

Demonland

Hawthorn DID NOT have their full strength team in......notably minus the best player in the AFL, Sam Mitchell, and Shaun Burgoyne, who would have had a picnic last night. Any suggestion the Nab cup is not meaningful is just desperate thinking to cover disappointment. We are light years from the standard required to be a top 8 side, and it is inconceivable to imagine us being remotely competitive against a top 4 side. A frank absence of skill, and the ability to protect the ball getter/carrier the greatest disappointments. Hawthorn's use of the shepherd is just beautiful to watch, and their physicality to create opportunity for the runners, coupled with their sharp disposal and vastly superior marking ability is inspiring.

It will be interesting to see how our team develops this year, but at the moment, and as far into the future as can be seen with this list, I'm afraid we may as well be playing in a different league. Far from taking consolation in the 'just the NAB cup' refrain, I think last night's game was the most revealing for this club since the Geelong game last year.

• Like 7

I wish we had a Howe for each part of the ground.

Fair comment. It annoys me when he's compared to Russell Robertson. Sure he takes a big mark and he's from Tassie, the comparison ends there. Howe's bag of tricks is however much bigger than Robbo's ever was and he could even now play any part of the ground if required. And he's only going to get better. We all loved Robbo but he did have his drawbacks. With Howe I don't see any. Edited by CHAMP

I try not to get worked up with the nab cup but im getting tired of sticking up for our team. When we are thinking they are starting to look good and doing all the right things its a new year we can only get better and the club says get on board we have done this and that. But then we have a lose like this again and all my passion and effort i put into the club feels like here we go again and i feel like s%%t. Melbourne have got to stop games like this we cant just say were young its o.k to go down by 120 points then win by 80 points we look like we are so weak to other clubs and i hate it because i dont stop loving this club i keep going and cheering and helping as much as i can. But this crap has got to stop you cant keep doing this to all your loyal fans i feel our team thinks its fine and has been breed like a bunch of women under bailey. Im sure neeld will save the younger guys but the old so called leaders will never change they dont even remember what winning is all about. Sorry guys i have had a few drinks and had my say and my cry but one thing is for sure we need to move some big names on to trade for some real mids and right now other then Clark.Watts,trengrove and frawley all names should be up for trade to get the job done god im drunk goodnight. P.S Thanks scully you little pr%%k

BIG JIM, good morning and I hope your head is okay - If you want to trade a big name and count your losses, it's time to look at Watts.

Ned and DemonAndrew have hit the nail on the head with "we lack class". It gets back to T20DP. It's widely known that the MFC decided to rebuild the club through the draft in order to give ourselves the best shot at a flag since '64. But for that to be successful we needed to recruit well. We were never going to make every post a winner and we didn't need to, but the last 5 drafts have been crucial for this footy club.

For varying reasons, either injury, form, or money, the following top 20 draft picks from the last 5 drafts didn't suit up last night: Morton, Grimes, Scully, Gysberts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Cook and you could nearly say 9 with Addam Maric, who was pick 21. Nine early picks weren't running around last night. It's terribly disappointing. I'm not going to delve deeply into why they weren't running around, because in the main we know why, I'm just highlighting that through either bad luck, i.e. injury, bad player development, or bad picks, we have so much potential gold sitting on the sidelines.

Yes, the players need to learn a new plan and it's going to take time, I'm merely pointing out the lack of class in all areas of the ground last night. There's no doubt we looked slow, which in part is decision making. The good news is that most of the players I listed are still at the club and have an opportunity to forge strong careers. We need to develop those players as quickly and as well as we can.

Btw, I get sick and tired of reading "it's just a NAB Cup match". Firstly, you're pointing out the bleeding obvious and secondly, we're two weeks from the season proper and are taking these games seriously. There's a reason that the coaches will analyse the video of this game with a fine tooth comb. The coaching panel will get a lot of good stuff from this game and the players will be better for it.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 4

If any have watched Neeld's press conference it is blatantly obvious how much he hates losing and hated last nights performance. If that was his attitude to the press the boys would have been left in no uncertain terms where they went wrong with their attitude and application of game plan behind closed doors.

It was a poor showing but give it some context. We started our best player from last week as a sub, subbed off our best player of the NAB cup with a dislocated finger, played Davis on Hale all game whilst our best backmen rested the second half. Neeld could have gone man on man to minimise the damage but stuck with the pressing zone as that is what will be our plan A and it needs to be learnt.

I expect we will show consistency this year in beating the sides around our level however we do lack the polish required to challenge the better ones.

• Like 3

Anyone who says the result of this practice game is not important, has no understanding whatsoever, of AFL footy.

Great clubs have pride in EVERY game they participate in , we still seem to accept not playing well in all practice games, using tired old excuses like.... we had so and so out, it's only a pre season game, we were experimenting, etc etc. CRAP!

Only fools will accept yesterdays performance by most of our players. Most of our players were intimidated...totally.

The MFC is still 2-3 years away from competing with the power clubs. The disposal issue has returned with a vengeance.

Hawthorn are now the yardstick and they simply toyed with us in body and in mind. We have a very long way to go !!!!!

• Like 2

As I understand it, Hawthorn's short-kicking gameplan is intended to break through the press. Shouldn't it stand to reason, then, that the way to beat them is to just go one on one? Continuing to play a press against a gamestyle specifically tailored to beat your own is just idiocy, and I'm surprised we didn't at least try a more one on one style today, especially when Hawthorn were really laying on the chip-chip-chips. We still may have lost, not only on the scoreboard, but also in the press practice under match-conditions, but we would have gained some valuable lessons in skill and hardness by playing right on the Hawks tails.

Exactly what i was yelling at the tv most of the game

you only ned to do it for five minutes to break their hold on the ball

Our team has learned very little in how to play Hawks since last year

Watched last years game played out exactly the same A little dissapointing. You have to admire the kicking skills of Hawthorn though!

• Like 1

I am still confident that the current coaching staff can get the best out of this group in time. The question remains though, will the best from this group be enough? Probably not, so we will need to inject some more class via the drafting and/or trading in the next couple of years to have any hope of having a crack at a premiership. Right now, we are light years away.

While I agree that NAB cup games cannot be ignored, I am still more concerned with seeing how the season unfolds for the club. I certainly do not expect us to beat teams like Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Geelong, but we need to be more competitive.

Edited by Samsara
  • Like 1

Exactly what i was yelling at the tv most of the game

you only ned to do it for five minutes to break their hold on the ball

Our team has learned very little in how to play Hawks since last year

Watched last years game played out exactly the same A little dissapointing. You have to admire the kicking skills of Hawthorn though!

To be honest they were under zero pressure they would have felt more intimidated by a row of witches hats. There were so many time our players sat back and watched them play kick to kick, I'm sure they were grateful for our turning up and saving them the trouble of re arranging the hats every now and then.

Anyone who says the result of this practice game is not important, has no understanding whatsoever, of AFL footy.

Great clubs have pride in EVERY game they participate in ,

NAB Cup results this round

Adelaide 138 vs Collingwood 61

Richmond 108 vs Geelong 49

Brisbane 104 vs Carlton 40

Yep that logic stands up well. Not saying our performance was acceptable, Neeld made that clear in his press conference but give it some context. Neeld also made it clear that he chose to stick with the zone because that is how we want to play. Do you seriously think that if that was mid season he would not have changed to man on man?

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 1

oh dear...oh my...the old MFCfccff or whatever it is is already setting in for some. Bloody hell , its NAB nothingness. All anyone is really trying to dois get their machinery happening and working out the problems, or indeed finding out what some are as they will only appear in REAL match conditions, not mock drills etc..

Hawthorn are the goods. Will probably start fav for the flag this year. Us.. ?? still a creation in the making. Anyone who suggests there's no distraction is kidding themselves.

We are learning as we go. . Strange to win the contested possession count and lose a game but thats another lesson learnt. Its not always what youhave,but how you use it. Hawthorn obviously had a better run with 'uncontested " possessions and I have no doubt Neeld will be at work with his coaches to remedy this.

There is a big difference now at MFC..whre theres failure and something lacking...these will be addressed and in no short measure.

Neeld will have been ajudicating the efforts and dedication to roles. He wont be judging by the scoreboard ( yet )

Also keep in mind.. Neeld KNOWS we are still shy 2-3 players and these wont appear on our list anytine this year. . This is a work in progress. Dont paninc

The decision to leave Davis on Hale was a mystery to me. From the first minute of the game I was puzzled as to why Sellar wasn't playing on Hale. Wasn't that why we recruited him? Didn't he play on Dawes last week? It can only be that Neeld saw it as an important part of Davis' education. I do think that Davis shows a lot, but last night those two were out of position in my opinion. I estimate that that decision cost us three goals (in spoils on Hale). We have to get some speed in the middle. I would persevere with Blease, Bail and Nicholson... in fact, in the current rotations, one of the trio has to be in the square at all times because the others are pedestrian. Blease's time has arrived IMO. Watts isn't doing well in one on one's but, JC, he is a classy finisher... Get the ball in his hands inside 40... He is so much better at this than Dunn, Martin, and Davey. Clarke and Watts should never be near to going for the same ball. For me, the Bennell experiment down back is over. We didn't have a crumming forward last night (another glaringly obvious deficiency as the players took up their positions for the first bounce). I have been a Davey fan throughout his career, love him, but the leg injury has the better of him. Bennell should be used to add ocassional bursts in the square and he should be taught to arrive, front and centre, to every Mitch Clarke contest. We will be better for the inclusion of Petterd, Tapscott Green and Grimes.

• Like 2

For all those hand wringers out wrist slashers out there how about you just take a breath.

Yes it was a poor performance. But it IS just a glorified practice match. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get a reality check.

For those talking about a change to game plan mid match etc- have a listen to Neeld's press conference and he sums it up perfectly- what is the point in throwing what they've spent 5 months working on out the window in the 3rd practice match of the year. How will the players learn?

Neeld would have been disappointed with the effort and result however we have a team trying to learn a new game plan under a completely different coaching structure and approach up against the (arguably) best team in the comp playing their seasoned game plan with hardened mature bodies.

Of course we were going to get done easily.

It is the reversal of last week when many posters got ahead of themselves on the back of beating Collingwood.

These games are all about testing out different players in different positions, teaching them game plans and positional tactics and what is expected.

See Davis being left on Hale as a prime example- wouldn't happen if there were 4 Premiership points on the line.

And we also need to play when the ridiculous last touch OOB rule is gone to get a greatr appreciation for how the game plan is working.

I think it is great that we have played against both Collingwood and Hawthorn.

The boys have played against two of the best teams in the competition. They will learn massive amounts out of the pre-season so far. The coaching staff will too.

For those who say we are a long way off- guess what, you are stating the bleating obvious and if you expected different then you don't have a full appreciation of where we are at. We need another 2 or 3 pre-seasons in the gym. We need a good 18 months under the Neeld coaching staff to properly learn the game plan and style and then the plan B when plan A isn't working. It will be another up and down year but it is not all doom and gloom and some posters just need to take a step back and analyse the sitatuion more logically.

• Like 3

Getting smashed in a 'glorified practice match' does mean something when you field a near full strength team.

I do agree that playing the Pies and Hawks can only be a good thing. Hopefully we account for Port over in Adelaide and start the H&A season on a positive note.

Did anyone think that we would improve out of sight over 6 months with a new coaching staff. I know it's footy talk bout it will take time . 2013-2016 is our time to shine for i am hoping to build up to that and see improvement. I know I sound like a footy player talking to the media but I think it's the truth but it doesn't mean I am not frustrated either.

• Like 1

I am so relieved we managed to land Mitch Clark. Without him, and Neeld's other new hard, mature-age recruits (not to forget Neeld himself and his new assistants), we would definitely be looking at another 2011 this year.

And the Hawks' Matt Suckling, a low end rookie draft pick, is the type of player I think we have been hoping Jamie Bennell would/will become.

Buddy Franklin is also the arsiest player I have ever watched play the game.

• Like 1

Great clubs have pride in EVERY game they participate in , we still seem to accept not playing well in all practice games, using tired old excuses like.... we had so and so out, it's only a pre season game, we were experimenting, etc etc. CRAP!

Only fools will accept yesterdays performance by most of our players. Most of our players were intimidated...totally.

The MFC is still 2-3 years away from competing with the power clubs. The disposal issue has returned with a vengeance.

Hawthorn are now the yardstick and they simply toyed with us in body and in mind. We have a very long way to go !!!!!

If great clubs have pride in EVERY game they participate i'm guessing Geelong are having a meltdown too?? What about Collingwood?? What about Carlton???

Fair comment. It annoys me when he's compared to Russell Robertson. Sure he takes a big mark and he's from Tassie, the comparison ends there. Howe's bag of tricks is however much bigger than Robbo's ever was and he could even now play any part of the ground if required. And he's only going to get better. We all loved Robbo but he did have his drawbacks. With Howe I don't see any.

With you on that one, he has much more upside that Robbo.

Fair comment. It annoys me when he's compared to Russell Robertson. Sure he takes a big mark and he's from Tassie, the comparison ends there. Howe's bag of tricks is however much bigger than Robbo's ever was and he could even now play any part of the ground if required. And he's only going to get better. We all loved Robbo but he did have his drawbacks. With Howe I don't see any.

With you on that one, he has much more upside that Robbo.

While Howe looks a good talent, it's insulting to put him above Robbo. I'd say it's a safe bet he'll never kick as many goals as Robbo ever did. He was a great servant for our club, is near the top of our club goal kickers list, and literally won us games off his own boot and helped us into finals series'. At this stage, Howe is a kid who has done nothing, so to even compare him to Robbo is insulting.

It really irks me when supporters talk up current players and put down past players like Robbo, Yze, Bruce and the Daniher era etc. Those players took us to our best period of football in decades. The current batch have taken us to nearly our worst. While some of them look to be good talents, that's all they are at this point until they prove otherwise. It's been too long without finals, and it's getting tiresome supporting a weak on-field club. I'll always stick by them, but it's hard to get excited by them at present.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 4