• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Liam Jurrah: charged, on bail and discussion closed for now

dee-luded

My point is that it is so simple to be negative on people trying to make a difference in the world.

There are always going to be problems to solve wherever you go, wherever you look.

Our culture is so cynical and to have a negative attitude towards charities that are aiming to make a difference in the world serves no purpose.

If you plan on being negative towards a good cause, back it up by doing something yourself, or take it over to make it better.

Its the equivalent of criticising the US people for donating to our Flood Appeal last year, when they have people devastated by cyclone Yasi.

I don't think it is the point of this thread and probably a discussion for another day, but I don't think people (or at least I'm not) are saying that kony2012 shouldn't happen (although there have been concerns raised about the charity organising it).

I think the point being made is that people are very quick and eager to commit to issues that do not have to be dealt with face to face, perhaps in order not to have to face up to the fact that they, themselves may have or still are contributing to the situation.

Or at the very least turining somewhat of a blind eye.

Anyway happy to discuss further on another thread - a good discussion to have.

Edited by timmy

Do his bail conditions allow him to leave the City or the Territory? Does he have to report in regularly?

If he can get back here, and wants to train and play, we should give him full encouragement - no "special consideration" re selection issues, but full encouragement.

Not sure about that one. From what is being reported, he was drinking alcohol, has brought the club into disrepute, etc. 100% support him in terms of ensuring he is mentally right with everything outside of footy, but when it comes to the employment side of things, there's going to be a bit more to it. I can't see him playing 1's for a while. Its going to be a very tough management issue for the club in so many respects. I don't envy them, thats for sure.

Well, I'm certainly NOT going to label them and be prejudiced towards them. What I AM going to do is make sure that people I know are aware of the issues going on in Central Australia, in the hope that they put some of their goodwill into the third world country sitting smack bang in the centre of the luckiest country there is.

I've had a lot of interaction with Indigenous people during my life, and I know enough to know that I don't know what they're all like. But if they're anything like me, they don't want people interfering unnecessarily in their lives. They want support, freedom, protection, happiness and all the other things which you want. Liam Jurrah needs our support, just as everyone does through difficult times in their lives.

Also, the Kony charity is not about raising money, it's about raising awareness for a bad man and the bad things he's getting people to do for him. Likewise, more good can be done in Australia for the Indigenous community by raising public awareness and political pressure than simply donating money to existing and ultimately flawed State and Federal government schemes.

Chook, whilst a lot of people don't understand the problems of indigenous australians or don't care, there are a lot of people who do, a lot of people who help and a lot of money available to assist.

The issue is probably more about finding solutions that make a difference, as it is about recognising problems

A lot of good people are trying to find solutions. Its just not that easy, but try we must

Just a slightly different perspective

• Like 1

Liam may also avoid conviction and gaol time by being innocent of the charges

.....and just wouldn't that be the best outcome for all concerned.

But the wheels of justice turn so slowly.

Oh dear...

I was just trying to provide a concrete example of the kinship felt between people from that kind of background. You can say "oh dear" if you want, but hopefully the meaning of the message is conveyed. You needn't talk down to me for sharing a part of my life that I thought was relevant to the discussion.

• Like 1

A friend of mine will be getting back to me today. He's a detective in the Alice Springs police.

He also assured me there are quite a few Demon supporters in the force there.

Hopefully he only gets the reckless charge and not the other two.

Mate if this is the case do us and your friend a favor by keeping it off public forums FCS

From Herald sun

Liam Jurrah has been bailed on a $3000 surety after appearing in Alice Springs Magistrates' Court.

The case was adjourned until May 17. Jurrah's bail conditions are:

1. Reside at an address in Victoria.

2. Not to contact relatives or any person nominated as a witness by the Prosecution in these proceedings.

3. To leave the Northern Territory and return to Victoria on the next available flight and not return to the Northern Territory except to attend court.

4. Report to the Officer in Charge of Police in Victoria

Also reported he was at airport and on way back to Melb...

Not sure about that one. From what is being reported, he was drinking alcohol, has brought the club into disrepute, etc. 100% support him in terms of ensuring he is mentally right with everything outside of footy, but when it comes to the employment side of things, there's going to be a bit more to it. I can't see him playing 1's for a while. Its going to be a very tough management issue for the club in so many respects. I don't envy them, thats for sure.

Where has it been reported he was drinking? I certainly haven't seen anything at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/released-on-bail-liam-jurrah-returns-to-melbourne-20120309-1uosr.html

It's now being reported in the press that he is on a flight to Melbourne and due to arrive later this afternoon:

To lighten the mood here a bit...

Perhaps this is the ultimate act of team mate sacfrifice by LJ to deflect attention away from one Mr. Watts?!

If so..well played, but a nudey run would have surficed!

:P

Too soon?

Edited by timmy
  • Like 2

My point is that it is so simple to be negative on people trying to make a difference in the world.

There are always going to be problems to solve wherever you go, wherever you look.

Our culture is so cynical and to have a negative attitude towards charities that are aiming to make a difference in the world serves no purpose.

If you plan on being negative towards a good cause, back it up by doing something yourself, or take it over to make it better.

Its the equivalent of criticising the US people for donating to our Flood Appeal last year, when they have people devastated by cyclone Yasi.

OK - thanks for clarifying. I didn't get the connection to Chook's comments re other charities.

Naive? He is a mass investment for the club. He has had more articles written about 10 fold than any other player on the list, his marketing ability was great due to freakish abilities. The club should be doing anything they can to protect from this civil war, wether Jurrah takes his advice is another thing all together, at least the club could say we done all we could it was just unavoidable.

I wish you'd stop thinking so selfishly.

This has so many more important issues about this than just the law & embarrassment.

If the club walked away from this, washing their hands of it, I would think poorly of it.

Here is a chance for the club to stand for something really meaningful, and something thats Not Black & White, but rather like a brotherhood.

Understnding & Empathy = Humanity.

• Like 1

Hopefully he is allowed to, and more importantly wants to, come back to Melbourne.

We need to get him out of danger ASAP and away from a very toxic situation.

But Jaded it is not just getting him away from it for now, the issue has been going on for a couple of years and is escalating not subsiding (potentially escalating again if tribal justice is to be satified again after this incident). In one of the articles it mentiones Liam has spent "less" time at home since this all started up BUT it is still his home, his family, his everything. The toxic situation and his home will still be there even if he is in Melbourne.

I have no answers but the whole situation needs to be settled before the entire community can get out of the toxic situation, it is greater than Liam and needs a resolution that from reports seems impossible outside of the tribal law.

As others have said it is such a horrible situation for one and all to find themselves in. Kudos the MFC, Rudeboy and I'm sure many many many others for supporting Liam and hopefully the entire communtiy does not get lost with our thoughts on Liam.

should be careful about what gets written here. prosecutor lawyers are probably all over this thread already.

on a side note what are peoples impressions on how the club would handle this?

do you think they will throw him into the team as soon as he is fit? or do you think he may be put back to casey until it is sorted?

thoughts?

OK so it sounds like he was drinking (not good, and deserves punishment from the club, as you do not go out and get drunk during pre-season), and when he felt he was under attack he picked up a weapon to protect himself.

It doesn't sound like he rocked up somewhere with a weapon looking to pick a fight and hurt somebody.

Whether it was him or the other man who actually caused the injury to the third party, remains the question.

An incredibly sad situation. Just thinking how many other talented, promising young men and women live up there who never get any real life opportunity, is devestating.

At least Jurrah has his talent and his career to hold onto if he so chooses.

• Like 1

The grey area...and I mean really grey, is as a club, what stance does the club take?

On one hand, you have the humanity side of things.

Is it the clubs responsibility to make a moral/ethical stance of what is right/wrong here? If yes, then it gets greyer, with the fact of: what stance should they take?

Continuing to make it harder: once they decide what stance to take, what actions do they take? How do they handle the media? How do they handle the players? How do they handle Jurrah?

Whatever Jurrah has or hasn't done, should there be any difference stance compared to how they handle the situation of Moloney urinating in a pub? Should Jurrah be sanctioned? Allegedly being a drunken fight with weapons vs urinating in a pub? Punishment/no punishment?

In a strict black and white world, the club could simply say: we're a football club, these actions are not what we want, and cut their ties with Jurrah (this won't happen and shouldn't happen in my opinion).

With every decision made or not made, it sets a precedent. Should Nathan Jones have sought some sort of redemption on his father's attackers a few years ago, would this be the same situation? I think not...but once again, it's grey.

should be careful about what gets written here. prosecutor lawyers are probably all over this thread already.

on a side note what are peoples impressions on how the club would handle this?

do you think they will throw him into the team as soon as he is fit? or do you think he may be put back to casey until it is sorted?

thoughts?

Again to little facts to judge Oli but the alleged drinking is not something Neeld believes is part of an elite culture when representing MFC and precedence has been set with Col.

Edited by Cards13

Oh dear...

Oh dear, what? The story resonated with me.

:wacko:

I would like to see him play in the seniors as quick as he is fit to do so...i know it is wrong to drink during preseason, he shouldn't have done it...but bereavement can do that.

The Best way Liam can repay the Faith of the MFC is on the ground.

That said...it is the coaches call...

• Like 1

What has happened will play out over the next 4 months, you can see from the terms of Bail the judge wants Liam out of Alice Springs, this is for his own safety. The clubs role now is to support Liam and protect him whether he plays footy or not.

Football is a game, what is going on is bigger than any game and fortunately for most people we will never be exposed to the conflict that is effected Liam.

I would like to see him play in the seniors as quick as he is fit to do so...i know it is wrong to drink during preseason, he shouldn't have done it...but bereavement can do that.

The Best way Liam can repay the Faith of the MFC is on the ground.

That said...it is the coaches call...

Don't forget to consider the other players however. A player like Ricky Petterd who has worked hard all pre-season and behaved himself missing out on playing for the firsts as his spot is taken by Liam would not be fair i think.