Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Liam Jurrah: charged, on bail and discussion closed for now

dee-luded

Olisik and Benny you've had your say. Others have had a chance to respond. Please leave the personal stuff out of it. There is enough stuff on this issue that it needs no further comment. Use the "Like This" button if you want to add your support for a view.

As Whispering Jack has said this is a very sensitive issue and the mods will take a very hard line both to keep the discussion civil and avoid any legal implications.

Anyone stepping too far off course will be banned with a no tolerance policy.

Please respect the situation guys.

Fan

Well stated -I genuinely feel we even should consider no further comments on this delicate issue,especially at this time.

Guest fitness

Hard to express the sadness I feel at the prospect of losing Jurrah from the club and our game, then the realisation at how absurd that is when in comparison to the other challenges Jurrah faces are so much greater.

Either way, I feel pretty damn empty.

I think this comment sums it up absolutely perfectly for me as well.

Guest deedeedee

Defitniley think you need to listen to this deedeedee: http://chirb.it/O1z82v

I've listen to it and there is no doubt Jurrah could of done the same thing with a mentor there, but at least the club could say done everything we could to stop this from happening.

I feel that they have done nothing to stop this from happening. Interesting to see that Schwab baulked the last part of question 3 in the press conference.

Seems the other person facing the charges is the same person also charged in relation to the the murder of the man stabbed in the leg a few years ago.

Although originally charged with murder those charges were dropped and he pleaded guilty to the assualt of another indiviadual during the fight.

Very messy, ongoing stuff.

Can only hope that the situation calms down for all involved. Must be hell living with contastnt fear and conflict on all sides.

Forget Kony2012 etc, why don't we start in outr own backyard?!

Edited by timmy
  • Like 2

According to the NT Court website. He is up at 10:00 NT time or 11am EDST (now)

http://www.nt.gov.au...y/crim/ras.html

Thanks for that. Some of the issues the communities in central Australia face is eloquently described in the range of charges listed in that doc ( all of them. not just Liams). Tragedy piled on tragedy.

One potential positive out of this awful situation is that it might open eyes (including mine) to the scale of the problem in remote Indigenous communities and provide some real insight into the barriers Indigenous Australians face.

• Like 2

I've listen to it and there is no doubt Jurrah could of done the same thing with a mentor there, but at least the club could say done everything we could to stop this from happening.

I feel that they have done nothing to stop this from happening. Interesting to see that Schwab baulked the last part of question 3 in the press conference.

You are being very naive if you think that a white fella from the MFC had any place interfering (or could interfere) with his obligations to his family. Is Liam meant to have a minder with him 24/7 any time he returns to NT? That's ridiculous.

We are all upset at the prospect he may never play for the MFC again, but this story is much bigger than that. CS acted very professionally in his responses from what I read.

• Like 3

If this happened to ANY of my employees - yes I would dismiss them summarily, and would be justified (both legally and morally) in doing so. MFC is a business, not a charity or social awareness vehicle, and for the most part the problems you mention can and must be taken up in other avenues.

I am unsure of your legeal grounds for this action as it depends, as do all things, on all the circumstances.

Summary dismissal can be related directly to a contract condition but any dismissal must be not harsh unjust or unreasonable.

This is decided by presentation of all the facts and consideration of all the circumstances.

Courts often impose fines as a person is employed and able to pay that fine so summary action of dismissing can be seen as harsh unjust and unreasonable.

I do prefer those comments that are aligned with the "wait and see" "innocent until proven" "support" style

than those that condemn and jump to conclusion with little knowledge of the facts

I am happy to support the comments of the club released so far.

• Like 1

While most of the media has been sensitive about the cultural background to all this, an article in the HUN has really annoyed me and my mate.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/is-the-dream-over-for-liam-jurrah/story-fn8libkp-1226294181174

The article nastily implies Jurrah wasn't working hard under the new regime without citing any evidence at all. My mate posted a polite response to the HUN saying the author should make such 'allegations' without presenting evidence, particularly at this time. But of course the HUn hasn't put it up, just a post from someone mouthing the same line as the article. Typical Murdoch press.

While I'm only speculating, not having the intent charge shows this could've been self defence

Unless you have a working knoweldge of NT statute, then yes you speculating.

And no other person on the list has been charged with this offence either. There are a number of possible explanations for this but all are speculation and at this stage it is a pointless excercise.

I'm inclined to agree with JCB and I can't see the value in these threads continuing until new information emerges.

One potential positive out of this awful situation is that it might open eyes (including mine) to the scale of the problem in remote Indigenous communities and provide some real insight into the barriers Indigenous Australians face.

I think many of us already have the insight into those barriers but the problem is one of understanding life within the communities themselves. Of course, this is not meant to excuse violent acts against others nor am I suggesting that Liam is guilty of anything of the sort. I do feel however, that even if all of the facts come to light, we are going to have to stretch the boundaries of our understanding of a culture with which we're not familiar.

• Like 1

While I'm only speculating, not having the intent charge shows this could've been self defence

Speculating is the only thing we can do at this time.Please guys let' s not judge the book by it's cover. Don't get suspended over a matter that we don't know about.

Thanks for that. Some of the issues the communities in central Australia face is eloquently described in the range of charges listed in that doc ( all of them. not just Liams). Tragedy piled on tragedy.

yes. Australian cities honestly have no similarities with remote outback towns apart from currency.

It is very hard to contemplate that unless you have spent time up there.

Sending a "minder" up there with Liam would have made little differerence. This was family berevement and "business" he had to attend sadly. This feud was always going to Blow. Must have been so hard for Liam down here in the smoke while this has simmered.

Where do propose we draw the line then?

In the sand against Hawthorn .

Otherwise ,leave it to the courts .

The only people I want to hear from are those with a knowledge of the main charge and what it means. It seems to me that the charge equates with the "Intentionally Cause Serious Injury" down here?