• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld on ABC Radio Sunday Inquisition

dees189227

I'm now thinking that this is a very astute appointment. Geeze, he's been impressive in every interview I've heard. Translate that attitude into the playing group and things are looking up. Time will tell of course but he looks/sounds like a breathe of fresh air with a hard-nosed attitude. Good luck to Mark and I can't wait to see the assistants that support him as senior coach.

At the same time I reckon that CS might have saved his bacon with his role in Mark's appointment and that Todd Viney will continue in the best role he's suited to especially with a strong-minded coach who won't be intimidated by past players of the club. The others, including Connolly, are vulnerable.

Told the club he won't accept not having a good coaching group. Has people he wants to bring in, and that is well down the track in happening.

Heaps I have liked about what I've heard and read so far, but this is probably what pricked my ears up the most. I've come to think that being surrounded by absolute quality is just as critical as having quality at the top. I hope the club spares no expense in this regard.

and dont we all want to know what positions he left without a name !!! :)

Speaks very very well.. Has got a good belief in his self and thats very VERY important. How are you going to get anyone to buy your influence if yo dont believe it yourself..

Cant wait to see the team transform...interesting to see who steps up ..now.

I like his idea that tthe players wont need to tell him, hell know by watching.

Well team...your now well and truly under the microscope, nowhere to hide. Some wont need to , they'll blossom... some might be getting a tad edgy right about now :rolleyes:

This bloke sounds ok. Lets see what he can do :)

I like his idea that tthe players wont need to tell him, hell know by watching.

This line IMO summed Neeld up beautifully in the interview and the understated way he said as a fact. You can run but you can't hide and talk is cheap is my take.

Someone else said here that many will flourish now under this attitude.

End of a fantatsitc few days, with the best coverage we could hope for across the weekend.

Roll on Footy Classified - and I'll bet he's on the footy show this week - maybe?

He's very articulate and seems to have the ability to convey a strong message in a polite manner. That's a very impressive combination. I'm not sure who mentioned it above, but I liked their notion that it sounded like Mick saw Neeld as his natural successor. If true, that would be very high raps indeed.

The club has recovered the situation pretty well, enough to engender a lot of enthusiasm on what we'll see next year.

i dont respect anyone more in the AFL world than Gerard Whateley

Whateley's thoughts on Neeld have made me very confident in the club's choice

"a more impressive interview you will not hear"

he's going to change some of the assisstants too, which is good because some have to go.

I missed the interview because I was at a swimming carnival but from what I have read he has said there are two things that stand out.

1- He said we wont play bruise free football again and we will be hard on the field to play against.

2- I demand the best coaching assistants around me. So I guess he wants the best available and maybe Neil Craig is one of them.

Anyway im not going to the b&f but im interested to hear more about what he says when he will actually speak to a few hundred fans.

So far he sounds impressive

Very impressive indeed. He seems very level headed and also confident in his abilities. We need someone tough and ruthless, hope he can bring this to our club, its certainly needed.

When it was first announced I honestly didn't feel too much at all. It felt a bit similar to Bailey's appointment; a low key appointment with little hoo-haa. Having listened to the interview I have changed direction on this 180 degrees. Ned from above wrote that Neeld is articualte enough to convey a tough message in a polite manner, and this is exactly what I sensed in the interview. I am genuinely excited about the prospect of Neeld but having been a Dees follower for enough years I can't get carried away - I have been burnt too many times.

But I am enthused by the following:

He sees places in our starting 22 that our currnet list can't fill (small crumbing forward, key position forward, the "quarterback" play maker?)

He has made demands about the coaching setup. We need a strong, demanding personality after Daniher and Bailey.

He wants us to be the hardest team to play. I almost had a sportgasm when he said this!!!

Major two influences are Blight and Malthouse

He has some absolute values that his players cannot compromise.

I live down near Casey and am gonna love visiting pre-season training this year. Can't wait for 2012.

When it was first announced I honestly didn't feel too much at all. It felt a bit similar to Bailey's appointment; a low key appointment with little hoo-haa. Having listened to the interview I have changed direction on this 180 degrees. Ned from above wrote that Neeld is articualte enough to convey a tough message in a polite manner, and this is exactly what I sensed in the interview. I am genuinely excited about the prospect of Neeld but having been a Dees follower for enough years I can't get carried away - I have been burnt too many times.

But I am enthused by the following:

He sees places in our starting 22 that our currnet list can't fill (small crumbing forward, key position forward, the "quarterback" play maker?)

He has made demands about the coaching setup. We need a strong, demanding personality after Daniher and Bailey.

He wants us to be the hardest team to play. I almost had a sportgasm when he said this!!!

Major two influences are Blight and Malthouse

He has some absolute values that his players cannot compromise.

I live down near Casey and am gonna love visiting pre-season training this year. Can't wait for 2012.

Agree with your thoughts- can't wait for your reports as well.

I'm loving his direct no BS approach. He obviously demands and expects the best. Be interested in how many names he left off that best 22. We've been guilty of overrating our list and I'm sure he's come in and pointed out exactly why we are not where we need to be.

Yes, considering there are those that think Warnock is worth a second round draft pick...

I also wonder the ages of those on the board.

I doubt there would be many older than 24 on there.

Sounds like there might be a bit of interest in trade week for once...

Really impressed by Neeld. It sounds as though he's been preparing for this role since his playing days under Malcom Blight. I love that he has a vision for playing and coaching groups and that he's demanded the club support that vision.

It's impossible for me to be even slightly cynical about this bloke - Everything I've heard and watched is ultra impressive - And like many others on this site I'd rather be feeling nice and positive for the next 6 months - before our 1st game of 2012 - and I'm not even concerned about our draw - On the contrary , I'd rather see our team tested early against some decent opposition . Ideal first 5 games would be Hawks , Saints , Swans , North then GWS at the G !

I'm not sure who mentioned it above, but I liked their notion that it sounded like Mick saw Neeld as his natural successor.

Not just MM - there has been the odd murmuring here and there that at least some of the players feel the same way, that they'd prefer Neeld over Buckley.

Of course, could be the normal web goss., but from what Collingwood fans are saying as well, I don't know that there'd be too many complaints if it was Neeld taking over the Pies.

I'm like the rest looking forward to 2012 and beyond, however lets remember he as he has said will change things and game plans etc. I just hope we don't have the usual people from this site starting sack Neeld threads just because things haven't clicked straight away

Of course, could be the normal web goss., but from what Collingwood fans are saying as well, I don't know that there'd be too many complaints if it was Neeld taking over the Pies.

Certainly wouldn't have been any complaints from Swan and Pendlebury who have both been interviewed regarding Neeld's appointment. They're absolutely wrapped for Neeld and have recognised his input into the work done on their midfield at Collingwood.

I'm happy he put it back on the committee in asking for support in a strong quality diverse coaching group and it's importance.

The line coaches that the FD put together will be interesting. As Neeld has been a defensive and a midfield coach himself, I am probably being naive in thinking he'll be headhunting a proven forward line coach.

As much as others are bagging the choice, Craig in the apparent Sport Science role would be fantastic. I think he's well respected in the coaching ranks for his knowledge of all that is the 'Science meets performance' approach to coaching.

Come to think of it, I wonder where he'll look for conditioning coach. I think it would be great if all the Filth assistants jumped ship at the end of 2011 with MM no longer in charge.

Also, one last thing, I think MM has been great the way he's dealt with all of this. Kudos for releasing Neeld immediately, I think he may end up being quite the envious little mentor in a year or 2.

After the events at the start of last week, where we looked like returning to the bad old habits which have plagued us for nearly 50 years, it appears the vision of people,like Jimmy, Don McClardy, Garry Lyon et-al were above us mere mortals - the supporters.

It also looks as if, Cam Schwab has redeemed himself. Also it might just be,his (apparent) agitating for someone to replace Bailey was on the money. Bailey did a good job in bringing them together - now it is time to move from there.

That some/many of the players were threatening to revolt, was perhaps no more than the kindergarten kid who doesn't want to move out of the comfort zone, into primary class?

If so, they have so much to learn.

And,from Mark Neeld's media foray of the last couple of days, it looks promising, we might have found, the right teacher to do it.

After such a year, let's move on.

Go Dees!

It also looks as if, Cam Schwab has redeemed himself. Also it might just be,his (apparent) agitating for someone to replace Bailey was on the money. Bailey did a good job in bringing them together - now it is time to move from there.

Agreed. With the benefit of hindsight, perhaps Schwab's interference in the FD - if that what it was - was warranted, and came out of a frustration that things weren't where they should be. He (Schwab) has certainly looked the goods over the past week (Scully, Neeld etc.).

Also agree with your comment re Bailey. Now that we're into the next season with a new coach, I don't even know that Bailey's appointment was the wrong one ... at the time. Certainly, Neeld already inspires a lot more confidence going forward, and perhaps we have Bailey to thank for not burning a great coach, putting them through 3 years of what was always going to be a miserable few years.

In MFC I trust... and its been a long long time since I really meant it.

Rome wasnt built in a day. it took time , plannng and committment.

Rome like all great achievements took vision.

I believe now there are those that CAN see.

When you can see what your doing its a lot easier.

I'm particularly interested in what leadership philosophy he has, especially with the playing group.

Given that MFC runs with the Leading Teams program, and the Filth did not (MM absolutley loathed it) that I wonder if it will be a call that Neeld will have the authority to undertake?

But gee, a really engaging interview with him.

2012 cannot arrive quick enough!

Let's play like DEMONS!