WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BILLY STRETCH

e25

I hate myself for getting sucked into this, but the case is just so open-and-shut that I can't let go of the hope that even Picket Fence will get his addled mind around it on day.

You'd think so. But we all know deep, deep down inside that we aren't really trying to convince him to think, but rather to remind others that he can't.

• Like 5

You've said it before and been pulled apart about it before. How many times will it take?

Let's try a few more, this time from the last couple of drafts. Because apparently Hill, Pendlebury, Gibbs et al just isn't convincing.

Josh Kelly.184cm 74kg

James Aish 184cm 74kg

Jack Billings 185cm 76kg

Lachie Whitfield 187cm 75kg

Troy Menzel 187cm 78kg

Will Hoskin-Elliot 186cm 75kg

Luke Dahlhaus 189cm 76kg

Nobody is saying that every kid under 80kg is going to magically be a star, but it is completely NOT a basis for writing a player off.

I hate myself for getting sucked into this, but the case is just so open-and-shut that I can't let go of the hope that even Picket Fence will get his addled mind around it on day.

As I have said, would hate to see the fall out if taken as a second rounder proves to be found wanting!

Hence my rationale by all means draft with a third rounder but not a second rounder!

This means we still may get him, but would rather our choice be made on others WHO ARE JUDGED AS BETTER PLAYERS AVAILABLE!

And there are better players out there!

Adled mind ?? maybe! but have been bitten far too many times in the past by dismal recruiting to not be sceptical.

Answer me this if his name wasn't Billy Stretch would we still be promoting this Kid with as much fervour JUST BECAUSE OF BLOODLINES??

Hnmm!

There's no guarantee there's better players out there.

Stretch was adjudged one of the best 22 in the country at the under 18 champs.

Personally I can definitely see Port nominating him with their first round pick, around about 14-15.

Recent picks we've had there are Dunn, Bate, Bell and Smith.

Two of who cracked 100 games, one of which remains on our list and has become one of our better players after, what, 9 years in the system?

There's no guarantee there's better players out there.

Stretch was adjudged one of the best 22 in the country at the under 18 champs.

Personally I can definitely see Port nominating him with their first round pick, around about 14-15.

Recent picks we've had there are Dunn, Bate, Bell and Smith.

Two of who cracked 100 games, one of which remains on our list and has become one of our better players after, what, 9 years in the system?

So that being the case then if we were interested then we need to outlay a 1st round draft pick??

Nup not a hope in hell of that happening!

• 2 weeks later...

It means we're committed to taking him and we're reasonably certain that we'll pick him up for our second rounder. He's an All Australian Under 18 and has been regularly picking up more than 20 disposals for Glenelg seniors in the SANFL. The father/sons are determined at the beginning of the trade and free agency period so he'll be available for a full pre season come what may.

• Like 5

Forgot about this kid...
This is how Geelong began their full resurgence; through the acquisition (luck) of some good father/sons, good drafting/recrutiing (which i feel we finally are doing) and a culture overhaul (which i feel we are starting to do). Just saying.

Heard this Lovett kid aint too bad aswell.

Forgot about this kid...

This is how Geelong began their full resurgence; through the acquisition (luck) of some good father/sons, good drafting/recrutiing (which i feel we finally are doing) and a culture overhaul (which i feel we are starting to do). Just saying.

Heard this Lovett kid aint too bad aswell.

Talking of this, is there any reports on young Lovett?

It means we're committed to taking him and we're reasonably certain that we'll pick him up for our second rounder. He's an All Australian Under 18 and has been regularly picking up more than 20 disposals for Glenelg seniors in the SANFL. The father/sons are determined at the beginning of the trade and free agency period so he'll be available for a full pre season come what may.

It only means we have put him into the bidding system. We haven't committed to him at all. We may decided the pick a club bids for him is too high and let him go to that club.

• Like 3

I am about 98% certain we will get Stretch as third rounder, there is a big possibility of players sliding in this draft, no one will bid a first round pick just in case a Hugh Goddard slips down to around the pick 20 mark

• Like 1

I am about 98% certain we will get Stretch as third rounder, there is a big possibility of players sliding in this draft, no one will bid a first round pick just in case a Hugh Goddard slips down to around the pick 20 mark

I agree with SPR on this. St. Kilda are the only one ahead of us in Round One and they are not going to committ their No. 1 pick. Similarly, it would bne risky for Port Adelaide to commit their Round One pick, meaning he is likely to blow out to the Third Round as St. Kilda is the only one ahead of us in the second round. It is a no-brainer committing to him now under the FS rule.

I am about 98% certain 3rd rounder, there is a big possibility of players sliding in this draft, no one will bid a first round pick just in case a Hugh Goddard slips down to around the pick 20 mark

Interesting observation. Certainly all the draft reports from the likes of Emma Quayle describe this as a very open draft.

Picks in the teens would seem to be disproportionately valuable this year.

Meanwhile, I'm going to declare the 2001 draft as the official 'bony-4rse bonanza' draft.

Luke Ball

Leigh Montangna

Nick Dal Santo

Sam Mitchell

Brent Reilly

James Kelly

Gary Ablett Jr

Adam Schneider

Campbell Brown

So, that's 9 out of the total of 16 players from the 2001 draft who made it 200 games.

Plus 'rangy medium forward' Jarrad Waite, assuming he plays 14 more games, would make it ten out of 17.

Welsh, Medhurst and Rodan were also handy contributors for their 150+ games.

The second best draft ever was a draft packed with short, skinny types who shouldn't be taken before the third round. :blink:

Interesting observation. Certainly all the draft reports from the likes of Emma Quayle describe this as a very open draft.

Meanwhile, I'm going to declare the 2001 draft as the official 'bony-4rse bonanza' draft.

Luke Ball

Leigh Montangna

Nick Dal Santo

Sam Mitchell

Brent Reilly

James Kelly

Gary Ablett Jr

Adam Schneider

Campbell Brown

So, that's 9 out of the total of 16 players from the 2001 draft who made it 200 games.

Plus 'rangy medium forward' Jarrad Waite, assuming he plays 14 more games, would make it ten out of 17.

The second best draft ever was a draft packed with short, skinny types who shouldn't be taken before the third round. :blink:

Remind me who we picked in that draft LG :wub:

• Like 1

Talking of this, is there any reports on young Lovett?

19 touches for the Stingrays win over the Falcons. He looks well built for a bottom age midfielder, wins his own ball and follows up the contest well. Was generally neat with his preferred left foot. It seemed like he didn’t get as much game time as some of the draft age kids, which might also be because he hasn’t played as much TAC Cup this year with his school commitments.

He’ll have another crack at it against Calder on Saturday morning. Should be a good one, but won’t be able to get to the game unforts.

• Like 4

Luke Ball

Leigh Montangna

Nick Dal Santo

Sam Mitchell

Brent Reilly

James Kelly

Gary Ablett Jr

Adam Schneider

Campbell Brown

Have a look at 1997. Travis, Brad Otten, Croad, Bolton, Power, Tarrant, Cornes, O'Bree, Stevens, Simon Black, Adam Goodes, Matthew Scarlett, Andrew Kellaway, Nathan Thompson and in the rookie draft you can add Chad Fletcher and Lockyer.

Not a bad list for one year.

• Like 1

Agreed. The only way we will have to use our 2nd round pick on Billy is if a club other than St.Kilda nominate Billy with their first rounder. That would have to be unlikely.

Can see Stretch as our Wellingham type player

Why? Because he looks like Wellingham? Wellingham was a decently skilled tagger at the Pies, I don't know what he is now at the Eagles.

Sydney is our model. I'd suggest if young Billy could hopefully follow his development like Jake Lloyd and Harry Cunningham have been with the swans that would be great. Start at half forward or as the sub and progress to playing time on the wing. Learn to be defensive and win contested ball as well as using his strengths as a good runner and outside link up player. 2 way running and solid decision making are the vital characteristics.

Presuming no one bids top 20 he's ours for a 3rd round pick and you'd be mad to bid top 20 on a guy unless you had him in your top 12-15 names incase someone slides like Jack Darling or even Lewis Taylor or Dunstan last year.

In that regard with Brisbane and Sydney maybe needing second round picks for their own academy types and Dogs for father son stranger things could happen than Billy falling to our forth round pick.

If you want to take a player via the FS rule you need to nominate them. The only time this could obligate you to actually take that player is if no other club puts in a bid, in which case you can use any pick you like on them. If another club does bid, we then have the option of using our next pick not including FA compo, priority picks and trades, or passing in which case the club that bid have to take him with the pick they nominated. We won't have to use anything earlier than our second round pick on him regardless (unless you think the Saints will bid pick 1), and that only if someone throws a top 20 pick at him. He would be rated as somewhere between 15-30 in this draft judging by the commentary so far, so it's a bit of a 50-50 whether we get him with our second or third round selection.

It's also worth reiterating that FS selections and bidding occur before the trade and FA periods, so we can't trade off our second round pick and use the third round pick on him instead. Once we have taken him that pick is out of play entirely.

I'm not sure what this means.

Melbourne to nominate Billy Stretch as father/son draftee

Are we committed? Why would we declare our intentions? Full preseason?

If we are committed we must be confident of where he will be picked.

• Like 1