Teams: Round 18

Old Gregg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

disgrace that maric has been dropped (feel sorry for the kid) - played really well last week but having said that great to see the skippa back!

Disgrace is far too firm a language. Maric played well but at the end of the day McDonald, Moloney and Trengove were always going to demand a game and some unlucky players miss out.

I want Fev in..and I want us to niggle him no end Tarrant-style !!

Didn't Warnock give Brown or Fev a bath last time we played them? Would have thought that he would be thrown in to take on one of those big lads. Chip will get Brown I think, leaving Garland to handle Fev.

Maric was solid, but Macca is too good to leave out when fit.

disgrace that maric has been dropped (feel sorry for the kid) - played really well last week but having said that great to see the skippa back!

Not a disgrace. The unfortunate reality of having a bit of depth in that area. If we are gonna be a top team these tough calls need to be made.

Nooooooo! Absolutley disgusted in Maric being ommitted.

As above.

So, then its not a "disgrace" - is it?? Of course Maric is very stiff (he did play quite well & did the job he was asked to do). But, someone had to make way for a more senior player. Maric will get his chance. All he has to do is go back to Casey & play the best he can (putting the seniors under pressure) & when he next gets call up - take the opportunity with both hands (like he did against the Swans).

It is bloody great to have Junior back in the side :).

Correct Skipper.

Bottom line is that Maric played OK in a team where we didn't have a bad player.

The captain is coming back and someone had to make way.

They don't want to rest Scully this week. McKenzie provides so much grunt in the midfield they have decided to keep him and other blokes thrown up like Jones were better than Maric.

He is stiff but that is life in the big time.

If the rumours on Watts are true then he may well still play with Trengove to return through the two's.

Don't think Warnock will get a guernsey unless one of the other tall defenders withdraws.

Anyone who played last week would have been stiff to miss out, and personally I would have dropped Bennell ahead of Maric, just for the sake of giving Maric a bit more game time in the seniors, but come on, our captain was not going to spend another week in the reserves!

For mine the only late change I can see is Warnock. He's probably going to be the "traveling" emergency.

Was REALLY looking forward to seeing Maric back up his solid effort from last week!!! :(

I think it's very poor form to simply drop a guy who hasn't had much exposure to AFL football! Addam was starring for Casey, got the call-up he so deserved and then is dropped just like that after a solid 17-possession performance for the Dees and who showed the class we've all been looking for in him!!

Of course, it is true that on last week's performance, no one deserved to be dropped - I guess someone has to be the unlucky one to make room for the Captain. But wouldn't Bail, a guy who has had about 5 more games than Maric this season, be a 'better' omission to ensure Maric catches up with the pack? It's all part of development.

Just a thought...

the captain doesn't sit in the 2's if he's fit.

maric should count himself lucky that that the skip and trengrove and maloney were out and he got to have a crack in the first place.

That's football though! Injuries inevitably occur (especially with Melbourne!!) which will allow a youngster to have a crack! Bail and McKenzie are two fantastic examples from this year alone!

Maric's VFL form warranted AFL selection and he did his future no harm with the performance he put in vs Sydney. God knows we LOVE his aggression and pressure up forward!! I hope he gets another shot and that he isn't too deflated from being dropped.

I hope he gets another shot and that he isn't too deflated from being dropped.

With Moloney, Trengove, then Grimes and Gysberts to come back in, and Tapscott starting to knock at the door, it's going to be hard enough staying in the 22, yet alone getting into it.

And with the whiff of a place in the finals in the air ...

I was convinced Bailey had a policy of not dropping Casey regulars after 1 game. He kept Strauss, Hughes, PJ and Cheney after average to poor games.

Still, it wouldn't be a week go by without a late change.

Addam would have known before the Swan's game that it was most likely to be a 'one game' opportunity, given the forced omissions we had, and the liklihood that at least one would be returning this week. If he is the professional that he should be as an AFL footballer, he will take it on the chin, and continue to work his backside off at Casey.

I think it's very poor form to simply drop a guy who hasn't had much exposure to AFL football!

Q E D

I was convinced Bailey had a policy of not dropping Casey regulars after 1 game. He kept Strauss, Hughes, PJ and Cheney after average to poor games.

Means there wasnt a policy at all. Just a misperception.

Maric didn't take his opportunity well enough. Simple as that. Aussie Wonaeamirri did it better and got the reward.

Honestly, the way people are going on about how he 'showed his class' and gave us 'aggression' and 'pressure'... Spare me. Some serious revisionist history going on, he had 1 tackle and the worst disposal efficiency in the team for christ's sakes.

He played a mediocre game that was outshone by a teammate that plays the same role and was replaced in the side by our captain. There are better players than Maric at the top clubs seriously tearing games apart at VFL level and not getting games. If he wants a regular spot in our team, he has to earn it. The only thing he's done to deserve all this carrying-on is be a young, high draft pick.

Edited by Inner Demon

Maric didn't take his opportunity well enough. Simple as that. Aussie Wonaeamirri did it better and got the reward.

Honestly, the way people are going on about how he 'showed his class' and gave us 'aggression' and 'pressure'... Spare me. Some serious revisionist history going on, he had 1 tackle and the worst disposal efficiency in the team for christ's sakes.

He played a mediocre game that was outshone by a teammate that plays the same role and was replaced in the side by our captain. There are better players than Maric at the top clubs seriously tearing games apart at VFL level and not getting games. If he wants a regular spot in our team, he has to earn it. The only thing he's done to deserve all this carrying-on is be a young, high draft pick.

I think you're selling him short - as usual it's not all about stats - he was good and there's a massive step up from VFL to AFL that he was negotiating - those making a case for retaining him see continuity important in making the transition. Someone had to be unlucky because Junior had to come in - it's unfortunately Maric.

But in those cases we didn't have our captain ready to return.

FWIW neither Cheney nor Hughes were any better in their first game than Maric was, but Maric had pressure on his spot whereas the others didn't.

If there's going to be a late change it will be Warnock for Watts I'm thinking. Last minute panic from the FD with regards to Fevola.

I would suggest you re-watch the game. Maric won most of his contests, was ferocious at getting the ball, and helped set it up early, getting the ball to guys like Wonaeamirri. he did fade a bit towards the end.

His form by all reports has been good at Casey as well.

As for his disposal, compared to guys like MacDonald, Bruce when he was coming off half back, his disposal is a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, One game a year to prove yourself should do it ??? The kid played well and deserved another game and I think has been dealt with harshly (without knowing what the FD said to him of course).