Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson

Billy

Give us some credit! (Media reaction merged thread)

Recommended Posts

I find it funny that the media have said we haven't beaten anyone (despite beating last year's grand finalist).

Last time I checked we beat 5th placed North Melbourne (6-4) who the same media are absolutely fawning over.

You can't have it both ways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I find it funny that the media have said we haven't beaten anyone (despite beating last year's grand finalist).

Last time I checked we beat 5th placed North Melbourne (6-4) who the same media are absolutely fawning over.

You can't have it both ways.

yes they can, and they will... its all ok though, credibility will come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

Kane Cornes sucks dogs balls.  Only 2 players chosen from a team that beat 4th placed crows by 91 points?  Should have just cut and pasted the team sheet.  After watching some of the other matches, he honestly has no idea.

Actually, I can understand where he's coming from. Our wins in the last few weeks have come from dominant team performances rather than from the efforts of a few individuals. On the other hand, the players he's selected from other teams showed out because their teams did not. It's the nature of what he's doing - he's looking at individuals. There's already another mechanism which measures teams - that's called the AFL Premiership Ladder.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to add here - the media are quite happy to rant and rave about the Pies and their credentials as a premiership contender... after rolling an injury ravaged Fremantle on their home deck.  The same goes for North - they roll the Lions at Etihad who ended up with barely anyone on the bench and they can't stop patting them on the back.

When we rolled Carlton and had won 4 on the trot all we got was 'they haven't beaten anyone yet'.  Now, even after 6 wins, the media are still questioning us because Lever has gone down and clearly they feel as though we are no chance of covering it.

Just goes to show how happy they are to jump on one bandwagon but not another, even though the trajectory of the teams and who they have beaten are very similar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who gives a [censored] what the media thinks, I’m surprised so many actually care. Let the wins do the talking 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Who gives a [censored] what the media thinks, I’m surprised so many actually care. Let the wins do the talking 

Didn't necessarily say I care, just that I find it interesting how people in the media perceive certain performances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Didn't necessarily say I care, just that I find it interesting how people in the media perceive certain performances.

I wasn’t replying to you, just the whole thread in general, hence “so many care”

Edited by SFebey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SFebey said:

Who gives a [censored] what the media thinks, I’m surprised so many actually care. Let the wins do the talking 

Spot on SF.  They will always look to stereotype and lay the boots in no matter what we do.  The only time the cringeworthy ones like Brayshaw /Eddie will finally go silent would be after a flag. 

Even then they would be out there making excuses ..."got lucky with timing", "its a one off", "no snow this year" blah blah blah.

However, the arrogance of most within the media has blinded them into thinking this is the same old Demons post 64. Apart from Luffy, who has a great analytical brain and can see whats developing ahead, most of the rest have their heads in the sand.

Having kicked us while we were down for so many decades, they are also struggling to come to terms accepting that we are no longer the easy beats of old and cant handle the fact, as well as the pain of their own teams getting walloped by us.

The media princesses won't even see it coming till after it's happened.  The bullied has just become the bully.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think trust is the issue with the media. We’ve had the reputation of being satisfied with a good win for it to come unstuck the next week. I think that reputation within media circles still exists and it may take a while for that to be wiped from peoples minds. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Just want to add here - the media are quite happy to rant and rave about the Pies and their credentials as a premiership contender... after rolling an injury ravaged Fremantle on their home deck.  The same goes for North - they roll the Lions at Etihad who ended up with barely anyone on the bench and they can't stop patting them on the back.

When we rolled Carlton and had won 4 on the trot all we got was 'they haven't beaten anyone yet'.  Now, even after 6 wins, the media are still questioning us because Lever has gone down and clearly they feel as though we are no chance of covering it.

Just goes to show how happy they are to jump on one bandwagon but not another, even though the trajectory of the teams and who they have beaten are very similar.

‘It was pointed out to Buckley after the game that the only top team Collingwood had beaten in that stretch had been Adelaide, with its four losses coming at the hands of Hawthorn, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond and Geelong.‘

Selective reporting by someone accusing people of.....selective reporting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Melb16 said:

‘It was pointed out to Buckley after the game that the only top team Collingwood had beaten in that stretch had been Adelaide, with its four losses coming at the hands of Hawthorn, Greater Western Sydney, Richmond and Geelong.‘

Selective reporting by someone accusing people of.....selective reporting.

I like how you made it big to get your point across.

Mine still stands.  That's one person.  The rest are foaming at the mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wiseblood said:

I like how you made it big to get your point across.

Mine still stands.  That's one person.  The rest are foaming at the mouth.

Haha just some phone issues there.

So a lot of media are claiming Collingwood are premiership contenders but none are claiming Melbourne are? 

Any proof of this? 

I just find it fascinating why people are so obsessed by what people in the media think about how we might go this year. The same people that most on here whinge about having no idea.

It just comes across as being really needy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Melb16 said:

Haha just some phone issues there.

So a lot of media are claiming Collingwood are premiership contenders but none are claiming Melbourne are? 

Any proof of this? 

I just find it fascinating why people are so obsessed by what people in the media think about how we might go this year. The same people that most on here whinge about having no idea.

It just comes across as being really needy.

Does it?  Couldn't care less.

The Pies aren't the only ones I mentioned as North are well and truly in there as well.  I just brought it up as I found it interesting.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Does it?  Couldn't care less.

The Pies aren't the only ones I mentioned as North are well and truly in there as well.  I just brought it up as I found it interesting.  Nothing more, nothing less.

So the general consensus in the media is that Collingwood and North are bigger premiership contenders than Melbourne?

I haven’t got this vibe or seen it anywhere. Do you have any examples?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 10:46 AM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Actually, I can understand where he's coming from. Our wins in the last few weeks have come from dominant team performances rather than from the efforts of a few individuals. On the other hand, the players he's selected from other teams showed out because their teams did not. It's the nature of what he's doing - he's looking at individuals. There's already another mechanism which measures teams - that's called the AFL Premiership Ladder.

Give him a break.  Kane Cornes tips Dees for the premiership and re-confirmed last Friday again before the dogs game on his SEN show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Melb16 said:

So the general consensus in the media is that Collingwood and North are bigger premiership contenders than Melbourne?

I haven’t got this vibe or seen it anywhere. Do you have any examples?

I don't give a rat's tossbag about who they think has a better chance of win the flag, my concern is the relentless use of the ski jokes, it's like the media are trapped in the 70's and can't get it out of their head that we've heard the same [censored] for 40 years.

I'd like to ring some of these clowns and congratulate them on their originality, but it wouldn't sink in even of I did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who's never been to the snow, I bloody hate ski jokes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With premierships comes recognition and credibility. After 53 years of disappointments it’s no wonder we don’t have any. 

And who cares anyway? Credibility doesn’t help us win games. And continuing to win games is all we should be worrying about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

With premierships comes recognition and credibility. After 53 years of disappointments it’s no wonder we don’t have any. 

And who cares anyway? Credibility doesn’t help us win games. And continuing to win games is all we should be worrying about. 

"Fugazi. It's a whazy. It's a woozie...."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danielE288 said:

As someone who's never been to the snow, I bloody hate ski jokes.

I’ve told multiple people a variation of this over the years

“that there is no shame in being able to afford to go to the snow, maybe if you save for a few years you can go too!”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, danielE288 said:

As someone who's never been to the snow, I bloody hate ski jokes.

It could be worse.

If you were a Collingwood supporter you would be identified as someone who is not too bright, unemployed and illiterate. Someone with questionable dental hygiene and whose family all have intimate and practical knowledge of the criminal legal system in Victoria. 

As a Melbourne supporter you get to drive a Range Rover, eat cheese with all your teeth and you have a winter holiday home. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

It could be worse.

If you were a Collingwood supporter you would be identified as someone who is not too bright, unemployed and illiterate. Someone with questionable dental hygiene and whose family all have intimate and practical knowledge of the criminal legal system in Victoria. 

As a Melbourne supporter you get to drive a Range Rover, eat cheese with all your teeth and you have a winter holiday home. 

Reminds me of a joke i heard once from an Asian American about the difficulty of dealing with the stereotype that people from Chinese backgrounds are incredibly hard working, industrious, disciplined and excel academically, particularly at maths and science

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, danielE288 said:

As someone who's never been to the snow, I bloody hate ski jokes.

You are being a bit precious, snowflake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

Reminds me of a joke i heard once from an Asian American about the difficulty of dealing with the stereotype that people from Chinese backgrounds are incredibly hard working, industrious, disciplined and excel academically, particularly at maths and science

what was the joke?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×