Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Fremantle



Darkhorse72

Millionaire Ex-Demon

Recommended Posts

I'm jealous. But well done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole thing is a bit of a fluke but good on him for starting a business and getting lucky.

Strauss and Bail were also involved, hopefully they kept their shares.

Also it's not real money if you can't sell your shares, so it might be a little premature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few players have got lucky, I’m pretty sure andrew welsh from bombers bought a heap of land in deer park and is now cleaning up developing it, he would be a millionaire now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The whole thing is a bit of a fluke but good on him for starting a business and getting lucky.

Strauss and Bail were also involved, hopefully they kept their shares.

Also it's not real money if you can't sell your shares, so it might be a little premature.

Really? How does a person "fluke" a business valued at about $200 mill? 

Wouldn't have anything to do with his hard work, IT nous, intelligence and business skills by chance?

Pretty successful bloke at the age of 33. The company is picking up good contracts overseas, so the next 12 months will be interesting to watch.

Good on him.

 

  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Really? How does a person "fluke" a business valued at about $200 mill? 

Wouldn't have anything to do with his hard work, IT nous, intelligence and business skills by chance?

Pretty successful bloke at the age of 33. The company is picking up good contracts overseas, so the next 12 months will be interesting to watch.

Good on him.

 

The business started as liquor run - they delivered alcohol on scooters and Joel even drove the grog himself. A good idea but low margin and I'm sure with regulations it wouldn't have been easy to turn profits. I think even Joel would admit there was a huge amount of luck in hiring the right IT guys to set up the software which became incredibly valuable at the right time and is now the business. Full credit to him for recognising that and growing the business, especially with the way he's gone overseas and really taken it on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shares in his company are up over 700% since listing on the ASX: wish word had got around I would have bought into the IPO for sure!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No slight on him at all and I wish him the best of luck, but using the word "star" to describe Joel Macdonald absolutely confirms to me that the word has lost all meaning in the mainstream.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The whole thing is a bit of a fluke but good on him for starting a business and getting lucky.

Strauss and Bail were also involved, hopefully they kept their shares.

Also it's not real money if you can't sell your shares, so it might be a little premature.

All business need luck or "fluke" to in the right place at the right time, and this does happen to many people, but the success comes from the hard work to build that opportunity into wealth.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, fluke, luck and opportunity  generally happen with hard work. Luck can give you a generous shortcut though. Should have bought bitcoins when they were about 2 cents each. Was given the opportunity to buy thousands of them by a geek associate who used to fix my computers. 

Edited by america de cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The business started as liquor run - they delivered alcohol on scooters and Joel even drove the grog himself. A good idea but low margin and I'm sure with regulations it wouldn't have been easy to turn profits. I think even Joel would admit there was a huge amount of luck in hiring the right IT guys to set up the software which became incredibly valuable at the right time and is now the business. Full credit to him for recognising that and growing the business, especially with the way he's gone overseas and really taken it on.

And he had the intelligence and wherewithal to spot that opportunity and ability to develop it.

Thats not "fluke", that's acumen.

Fluke is tripping up on a tattslotto ticket laying on the ground ( one worth something )

Good management/Engineering practice IS to surround yourself with capable people. Successful people dont do that accidentally or by fluke.

You made a bad call DS. That's fine. We all do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every footballer who plays a longish career these days should be a "millionaire" at the end of it. Provided they've made some good investments with their income and not wasted it.

You're a millionaire these days if you own a reasonable house. ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're doing ok though when $1m is chump change ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he could help us buy a flag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mauriesy said:

Every footballer who plays a longish career these days should be a "millionaire" at the end of it. Provided they've made some good investments with their income and not wasted it.

You're a millionaire these days if you own a reasonable house. ^_^

Emphasis on OWN... mortgages dont count ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Emphasis on OWN... mortgages dont count ;)

 

9 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Emphasis on OWN... mortgages dont count ;)

Depends on your equity Bub. That's from the worst financial manager in the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hemingway said:

 

Depends on your equity Bub. That's from the worst financial manager in the world. 

The suggestion MrH was you're a millionaire if you own a reasonable house. As the av price in say Melb is around 850k, but certainly a lot of housing is over the 1m mark, then if you own it... you're a millionaire. However few owner/occupiers actually own their houses outright. 

You are right though..its about equity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

And he had the intelligence and wherewithal to spot that opportunity and ability to develop it.

Thats not "fluke", that's acumen.

Fluke is tripping up on a tattslotto ticket laying on the ground ( one worth something )

Good management/Engineering practice IS to surround yourself with capable people. Successful people dont do that accidentally or by fluke.

You made a bad call DS. That's fine. We all do.

The world can be a confusing place.  I consistently find that those who work the hardest for success humbly claim they were lucky, whereas those whose success was just due to dumb luck try to argue that they actually worked very hard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The business started as liquor run - they delivered alcohol on scooters and Joel even drove the grog himself. A good idea but low margin and I'm sure with regulations it wouldn't have been easy to turn profits. I think even Joel would admit there was a huge amount of luck in hiring the right IT guys to set up the software which became incredibly valuable at the right time and is now the business. Full credit to him for recognising that and growing the business, especially with the way he's gone overseas and really taken it on.

Nearly 400,000 deliveries per month through his software in something like 60 countries with massive growth predicted in next year. He's created a thriving business worth $200mill through hard work and the right IT development. All entrepreneurs start small, often with low margins. But i beg to differ that it is based on fluke and luck, or that they are the why he got to this point. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, brendan said:

Few players have got lucky, I’m pretty sure andrew welsh from bombers bought a heap of land in deer park and is now cleaning up developing it, he would be a millionaire now 

I grew up next to Deer park. It was mainly a land used to test ordinance and chemicals. That's why there has never been a great anybody from Deer park.

Albion, where I was raised, now that's a different story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, P-man said:

No slight on him at all and I wish him the best of luck, but using the word "star" to describe Joel Macdonald absolutely confirms to me that the word has lost all meaning in the mainstream.

He was a reliable, dedicated and consistent performer. Give him his dues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be awesome to see company GetSwift sponsor the MFC. The 'GetSwift Demons'.

I think it would be a great thing for Joel, GetSwift, the MFC, the AFL community and Australia.

He is an inspiration! 

Joel could buy the MFC and could rename them the 'Macbourne Swifty Demons'.

He could almost buy the AFL... Lol

This guy is a Legend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dee tention said:

It would be awesome to see company GetSwift sponsor the MFC. The 'GetSwift Demons'.

I think it would be a great thing for Joel, GetSwift, the MFC, the AFL community and Australia.

He is an inspiration! 

Joel could buy the MFC and could rename them the 'Macbourne Swifty Demons'.

He could almost buy the AFL... Lol

This guy is a Legend!

Joel........? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×