Jump to content

Demonland

2017 Player Reviews: # 5 Christian Petracca

Recommended Posts

He is already the highest rated mid/fwd in the comp by champion data in his second year. And also the second highest rated dee (behind Jones). 

We (dees supporters) talk him down a lot - anyone who follows footy closely marvel at his talent. He is the real deal and has the attitude to fulfil the talent. Even now we are demonstrably better side with him out there (as with Oliver and Hunt). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thrice said:

He is already the highest rated mid/fwd in the comp by champion data in his second year. And also the second highest rated dee (behind Jones). 

We (dees supporters) talk him down a lot - anyone who follows footy closely marvel at his talent. He is the real deal and has the attitude to fulfil the talent. Even now we are demonstrably better side with him out there (as with Oliver and Hunt). 

I may be bias, but I think Oliver, Hunt and Petracca are 3 of the best 5 kids in the comp. The others would be Kelly and McGrath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jnrmac said:

He's a tease

I agree. I thought his second half of the season was disappointing, but there again, if we hadn't had the serious run of injuries, perhaps he could have been rested for a week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petracca was on Triple mmm yesterday.

Some footy items:

  • His Exit meeting:  To bring his 2017 disappointment and hunger for next year into pre season and is expected to play more in the midfield next year.

  • Weight not an issue.  Endurance and consistent running need to improve for more midfield. 

  • Will tag along with Oliver to improve after being asked who he will follow around to get his conditioning right.  I reckon that is a good choice given how Oliver's professionalism and preparation have received great praise from the coahces.
  • Mentioned Jones, Viney and Oliver have been invited to the Brownlow.  Love that Oliver is invited. 

On a lighter note:

  • Will be a barrista at Lavazza marquee @ Melbourne Cup.

  • Off to Byron with some mates - get out of Melb for the GF.

  • Then off to the US with Harmes and Tyson and someone else (non football but seemingly well known).

  • Then to the Maldives with his girlfriend. 

A very engaging young man.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Farmer said:

I agree. I thought his second half of the season was disappointing, but there again, if we hadn't had the serious run of injuries, perhaps he could have been rested for a week

We were running out of rotation options in some games. We ended up running some into the ground.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Nah... I want a player that every supporter of every club knows about......... Not sure I could put up with Bruce calling him "speccccccccial" though

Petracca could be the one

uh god - don't remind me - how long is it since we had an undisputed champion like that at our club? Who was the last? RDB? We're cursed. My bloody (but much loved, sorry dad) father, making me barrack for this club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Petracca was on Triple mmm yesterday.

Some footy items:

 

  • His Exit meeting:  To bring his 2017 disappointment and hunger for next year into pre season and is expected to play more in the midfield next year.

     

  • Weight not an issue.  Endurance and consistent running need to improve for more midfield. 

     

  • Will tag along with Oliver to improve after being asked who he will follow around to get his conditioning right.  I reckon that is a good choice given how Oliver's professionalism and preparation have received great praise from the coahces.
  •  

    Mentioned Jones, Viney and Oliver have been invited to the Brownlow.  Love that Oliver is invited. 

On a lighter note:

  • Will be a barrista at Lavazza marquee @ Melbourne Cup.

     

  • Off to Byron with some mates - get out of Melb for the GF.

     

  • Then off to the US with Harmes and Tyson and someone else (non football but seemingly well known).

     

  • Then to the Maldives with his girlfriend. 

 

A very engaging young man.

Harmes is already in Bali. He must really be enjoying his off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Another 2 to 3 years and he will be in the elite category.

Yup. He is the type who will be able to stand in a tackle clear the hands and always get the ball out to advantage like one G Ablett. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a lot of young Dusty in Petracca, both powerful young kids who show glimpses of pure class. Remember how poor Dusty was at running out games too, it's probably only been the last few years that Dusty has started running out full games, I think Petracca will be the same, a few pre seasons needed to get his tank up. 👍🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Petracca was on Triple mmm yesterday.

Some footy items:

 

  • His Exit meeting:  To bring his 2017 disappointment and hunger for next year into pre season and is expected to play more in the midfield next year.

     

  • Weight not an issue.  Endurance and consistent running need to improve for more midfield. 

     

  • Will tag along with Oliver to improve after being asked who he will follow around to get his conditioning right.  I reckon that is a good choice given how Oliver's professionalism and preparation have received great praise from the coahces.
  •  

    Mentioned Jones, Viney and Oliver have been invited to the Brownlow.  Love that Oliver is invited. 

On a lighter note:

  • Will be a barrista at Lavazza marquee @ Melbourne Cup.

     

  • Off to Byron with some mates - get out of Melb for the GF.

     

  • Then off to the US with Harmes and Tyson and someone else (non football but seemingly well known).

     

  • Then to the Maldives with his girlfriend. 

 

A very engaging young man.

I was going to ask if anyone sat through the whole duration of the footy show last night and if Trac touched on anything interesting MFC-wise. However I suspect the above is far more than anything he would've elaborated on last night. I'll track down the pod cast - cheers Lucifer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Petracca was on Triple mmm yesterday.

Some footy items:

 

  • His Exit meeting:  To bring his 2017 disappointment and hunger for next year into pre season and is expected to play more in the midfield next year.

     

  • Weight not an issue.  Endurance and consistent running need to improve for more midfield. 

     

  • Will tag along with Oliver to improve after being asked who he will follow around to get his conditioning right.  I reckon that is a good choice given how Oliver's professionalism and preparation have received great praise from the coahces.
  •  

    Mentioned Jones, Viney and Oliver have been invited to the Brownlow.  Love that Oliver is invited. 

On a lighter note:

  • Will be a barrista at Lavazza marquee @ Melbourne Cup.

     

  • Off to Byron with some mates - get out of Melb for the GF.

     

  • Then off to the US with Harmes and Tyson and someone else (non football but seemingly well known).

     

  • Then to the Maldives with his girlfriend. 

 

A very engaging young man.

Love to see him more in the midfield. Hopefully he has a break out season like Oliver did this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, the rolling fog said:

I was going to ask if anyone sat through the whole duration of the footy show last night and if Trac touched on anything interesting MFC-wise. However I suspect the above is far more than anything he would've elaborated on last night. I'll track down the pod cast - cheers Lucifer.

It was during 'The Rush Hour', if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Play him more in the mid field

this will fast track his tank development and breakout game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came 7th in the Bluey in his 2nd season (well, third if you count his rookie season written off with an ACL).

This kid is special. The game where I knew he was going to be the real deal was the win over Essendon, where he was playing as a key forward on the second best key defender in the game, Michael Hurley, and kicked 4 goals on him.  

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we've had a talent like him since Schwartz. He should get better and better. 

Ps, he is brilliant to watch!

Edited by red&blue1982
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, DeezNuts said:

Less of his mums pasta and more endurance training and none will be able to stop him! (I really loved this year how when he's in congested traffic, the opponents just get-out-of-his-way) bring on 2018!

 

On 9/14/2017 at 12:35 PM, small but forward said:

I'm not one for overstatement but I believe he could be the greatest player the AFL has ever seen.

For him to be the Greatest! as you say, you will have to convince his Mum to stop him from eating the rich Italian food.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs to improve his tank but what I like is that he stands up when others around him don't, and he loves the big games. I'm not sure we'll ever see a "breakout" season, maybe just general progression and improvement. Make no mistake though, him, Oliver, and a full fit Brayshaw in the team play at their full capacity makes us a top 4 team. They are the difference right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the potential to be anything as does Oliver and to a lesser extent, Hunt.  The only issue with the future development of these young guys is keeping their ego in check. I have noticed flashes of self indulgence in all three of them (and more than a dash of it in big Maxy).  Interestingly, no sign of that at all in GWS’s young star Kelly. Maybe his father knocked that out of him?

That is one of the reasons that Jordan Lewis’ role is so important.  He will knock the tickets off of anyone very quickly. I think young Jack Viney is in that mold too.

Don’t get me wrong, self confidence is very important in all facets of life but more than one potential sports star has crashed and burned after taking one too many sips of their own bath water. It’s something less likely to occur within a team environment but still important to monitor and address early if detected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the way he tackles like a manic baboon and shakes the ball carrier like a Moe dad trying to get his crack pipe back off a child.

Hate the way he goes missing when we need a hero.

Edited by Biffen
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other clubs will be all over him like a nasty rash. Priority to re sign. If we hear waiting to consider all options at the end of the year, we are in trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×