Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 21st January, 2013 @ Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

Just got back. There were a few people down there today, enjoying the great weather.

While I remember too, there was a bloke from the Casey area letting people know there will be a BBQ and some kids activities (not sure what) at training on Friday at Casey. So get on down.

Training today started with some running at the Athletics Track near the ground.

Sylvia, Clisby, Gawn, Hogan and Toumpas did their own training which involved running and then skill drills with heaps of running. Toumpas' kicking skills are immaculate, as are Sylvia's kicking, on both feet.

The following players did not do the sprints ; Grimes, Dawes, Magner, N. Jones, Dunn, Garland, Joel Mac, Tapscott, Fitzy, and the 5 named above. These guys are all coming back from slight niggles and were not asked to do the hard sprints.

The others did 5 x 300m sprints, all at full pace.

They were in groups, I think they were in groups from fittest to not so fit. I may miss some names, as I did not write it all down.

The first group had Howe, Nicho, T Mac, Couch, Viney, Evans, McKenzie

The second group was M. Jones, Pederson, Davis, Frawley, Watts, Tynan, Strauss, Byrnes, Rodan, Barry

The third group was Blease, Spencer, Gillies, Jamar, Davey, Kent, Terlich, Sellar, Jetta, Taggert

The guys who were the most consistent and at the front are underlined.

Howe dropped out after 4 good runs and looked ill and both Jones and Barry dropped out after 2 or 2, not looking too well.

The battlers were Davey (but he did it all and you could see he was trying), Rodan (not his style of running really) and the younger blokes on occasions.

What must be said, is that some individuals battled on 1 run but then pushed hard through the next one. From what I can see there has been a great overall improvement, and they worked bloody hard.

After the running they went back to the ground to do drills. Almost everyone joined in these drills, except for Clarke, Trengove, Sylvia, Gawn, Toumpas, M Jones and Howe.

The first few drills were in close hands, quick movement and protcection. The voice and skills were really good.

Next they did a drill which was based on the defenders trying to get the ball out of the backline and carry it down the field while the forwards were putting pressure on. In this, the forwards were trying to keep their zone up, work on forward pressure and hold their lines while the defenders had to move the ball quickly and hit targets. At the same time there were guys on the bench and players had to continually rotate. It is great practice to see how well the zone holds up with player coming on and off the ground.

The pressure and voice was most impressive in this drill. The decision making has still got room for improvement. You can see the style of game thogh in this drill. They are trying to move the ball quickly and always had 1 or 2 forwards up forward to be a target.

The next part of training they split into groups where some players were working on their kicks under pressure while the rest were doing a 6 on 6 drill trying to work their way though under pressure.

I left after this, as it was already 12, and they were about to head back into a drill. Maybe someone can fill in anything I missed.

I thought it was a great session, especially working hard under fatigue. Again, all the drills involved the following points (which I think are rapidly improving at the club):

* hard 2 way running

* maximum pressure (to the point where N Jones and Kent had a wrestle after a tackle)

* pressure on decision making as the drill is generally stopped and started again when a mistake is made

* guys on the mark are running up to the mark at full pace and pressuring the kicker

* the voice and guidance is great

* the ball is moving quickly, there is not much stopping and kicking over the mark

The guys who impressed more most in the session today, overall, were Evans (looks really fit), Tynan (can see a real athlet in him), Kent (worked really hard all the time),Gillies (skills look akward, but work, but he looks to be a smart defender), Frawley(looks really fit and ran well and he did well in the defensive drills), Spencer (putting real pressure on Jamar for the #1 ruck, and his kicking skills are vastly improved). I can see the pressure on all players now as the depth is better than it has been in a while, and players are going to have to work hard for a spot in the team (finally).

If you have any questions, happy to answer them.

Cheers.

• Like 43

Yokozuna has got it all covered, good report.

If anyone is thinking about heading down to Casey this Friday for the BBQ and watch training. I suggest they CHECK the MFC website for confirmation!

I too was informed by the same guy about this Fridays BBQ etc. Later I was chatting to someone else from the club, and was told he thought it was the Friday after, and the other guy has got it confused. He then suggested to check the website before trekking out there. So now I am confused.

Trenners is expecting to begin running next week or the following week. I overheard Sylvia saying his back is still giving him some minor problems.

Thats about all I can add.No point me repeating what has been posted. Apart from the hard slog in the inclose clearance drills, some of the players were more than happy to have photos taken,and sign autographs, as their mates were sweating it out on the ground. Neil Craig was the main man to oversee most of the drills. There were approx 80 supporters there, so a good turnout.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reports, Fella's.

Can you detail what running Mitch Clark was actually doing. I'm keen to know how comfortable he looks or does it appear he's still favouring his foot?

Thanks.

For those that have been regulars at training, are we starting to use the whole ground in end to end drills or are we still looking to hugging the boundary?

Last week, they had cones either side of the ground, effectively marking the corridor and we were doing drills down the ground remaining in the corridor

I haven't been to a lot of training but it appears we are doing much more match simulations at a high intensity than we have in previous years. I seem to recall we hardly picked up a footy until mid to late January...

Can anyone confirm that at all??

If true I'd have to say I am stoked. We always seem to enter a season with no momentum, poor skills and lack of fitness. Going by the reports its a significant improvement from years gone by...

Hopefully its all about to change..

• Like 2

Last I heard in regards to Clark, he feels really good in the foot. Recovery is ahead of schedule, but they dare not rush him back sooner than planned as they are not wanting to risk it at all.

I remember even reading in one of the members training reports, he was bouncing around the training group keen as mustard to join in. So he must be feeling close to 100%, but is only held back for safety reasons.

And yes, this time last year, we still had Misson running them raggered , building up endurance fitness.

For those that have been regulars at training, are we starting to use the whole ground in end to end drills or are we still looking to hugging the boundary?

All the training sessions I have been to, they havent been going thru the middle of the ground, but down the flanks, switching across to the opposite flank,really selecting their best option out of defence. They havent been right on the boundray line,but midway from the centre to the boundary.

Thats been the main focus on match sims,that I have seen. Some drills have included practising thru the middle to the forward line. My take is they are taking the safe option,thats keeping it out wide.My gut feeling, is they are working them into getting it correct out of defence,and when they are happy with that,hopefully we'll see them go straight for goal once its cleared out of the backline. It may all fall apart in a real game. We'll have to see what pans out. I hate going down the flanks,its the long way home,and one miskick, its back in faster than it just came out. So far I am happy with what I have seen, their kicking to position, sometimes a player doesnt hit the target. Its work in progress.

Quick note regarding the BBQ. One of the guys said later that it wasn't this Friday after all, and would probably happen next month around the 15th or so. Best to check before you show up expecting to be fed this week.

Regarding the report above, I can add a couple of things.

The group who didn't go to the running track (Grimes, Dawes, Magner, N. Jones, Dunn, Garland, Joel Mac, Fitzy) were doing what looked a lot like 300's on the oval instead. I don't think it was quite full pace, but they were feeling it by the end.

I'm not sure if the rookie with the rehabbers was Clisby or Stark. I heard them call him Mitch at one point and Starky at another and they look quite similar (see the links). Agree with the notes above on the kicking skills from Toumpas and Sylvia.

In the full ground drill, Watts made some great passes from the last line of defence. I also managed to be right nearby when Davey nailed Seller in one of the contested ball drills. Great to see him drag someone that big down.

Sylvia finished early and was doing photo shoots with the kids by the stand.

Not a huge amount to add really. The intensity and focus are far greater than they were when I saw them train under Bailey. Much less tolerance for mistakes. When it went wrong, they stopped and did the whole thing again. Great to see.

• Like 1

I haven't been to a lot of training but it appears we are doing much more match simulations at a high intensity than we have in previous years. I seem to recall we hardly picked up a footy until mid to late January...

Can anyone confirm that at all??

If true I'd have to say I am stoked. We always seem to enter a season with no momentum, poor skills and lack of fitness. Going by the reports its a significant improvement from years gone by...

Hopefully its all about to change..

You can be happier, I wouldnt go cracking too many cans open just yet. But they are now under full match sims, putting the backs and forwards under intense pressure,handballing, if thats the best option, or a kick. Something I rarely seen pre Neeld & Co. Its not perfect and I see a big improvment, add in they are heaps fitter,and also not getting away with sloppy handballs or kicks, they get pulled up for those. There is no better way to improve in those areas,than in a real game. Hopefully they wont crack when they have real opposition , then continue to build on their skills and confidence during a game. I cant wait to see how they go in the NAB cup, that will give a much better guide to where they are at.

Just something i did notice. I am still on the fence in regards to Lynden Dunn, probably a bit lucky to still be on the list. But good luck to him for surviving.I hope he has a great year. He walked past me, close enough to almost high 5 him. He is a monster. Solid as a brick outhouse.

I'm not sure if the rookie with the rehabbers was Clisby or Stark. I heard them call him Mitch at one point and Starky at another and they look quite similar (see the links).

Christ, they could be brothers. I hereby reserve the right to just refer to them both as "Stisby" (or "Clark", if I feel like being extra confusing).

• Like 1