The Dan Houston Thread

53 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Two players in contracts that want to switch to each others state. 

If Petty left we would expect a pick 10-15. Presently, our pick this year will also be pick 10-15. 

Giving up Petty and R1  is essentially asking would you pay 2 x pick 10-15 for Dan Houston at prime whilst you are a finals contender.   

We paid a similar cost for Jake Lever.  It's not far off really.  Houston is older ofc but we are much further in the window. 

Houston is 27 isn’t he ?  
Yes I thought if our 2 picks for Rick and he was 24 I think and that extra 3 years makes a difference I feel. I also believe that we have a number of half backs already other than Salo who are very promising already and younger. 

But get your point re exchange with Petty possibly. 
thanks 

53 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Two players in contracts that want to switch to each others state. 

If Petty left we would expect a pick 10-15. Presently, our pick this year will also be pick 10-15. 

Giving up Petty and R1  is essentially asking would you pay 2 x pick 10-15 for Dan Houston at prime whilst you are a finals contender.   

We paid a similar cost for Jake Lever.  It's not far off really.  Houston is older ofc but we are much further in the window. 

Houston is 27 isn’t he ?  
Yes I thought if our 2 picks for Rick and he was 24 I think and that extra 3 years makes a difference I feel. I also believe that we have a number of half backs already other than Salo who are very promising already and younger. 

But get your point re exchange with Petty possibly. 
thanks 

Demonland Exclusive (Embargo till 1500, 19/07/2024)

The Melbourne Football Club has made the following first and final offer to the Port Adelaide Football Club through an intermediary, former Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes:-

Melbourne receives: Dan Houston and Port Adelaide’s first pick in the 2024 AFL National Draft.

Port Adelaide receives: Salary cap relief.

Cornes exclusively told me that, as a fan of the Power, he thinks “it’s a good deal and Port should grab it.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 12
  • Clap 2

42 minutes ago, Deeman said:

Demonland Exclusive (Embargo till 1500, 19/07/2024)

The Melbourne Football Club has made the following first and final offer to the Port Adelaide Football Club through an intermediary, former Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes:-

Melbourne receives: Dan Houston and Port Adelaide’s first pick in the 2024 AFL National Draft.

Port Adelaide receives: Salary cap relief.

Cornes exclusively told me that, as a fan of the Power, he thinks “it’s a good deal and Port should grab it.”

In the NHL it's called 'Future Considerations'

36 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

I'd be ok with Salem and a future 3rd ( maybe 2nd) round pick. Love salo but hasn't been anywhere near it since 21 and IMHO is just hanging on at AFL level based on previous performance not current 

Salem would have no trade value. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

35 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Paywall. Can you post a summary of what the article says?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

“There is an increasing belief that the 27-year-old will request a trade once the Power’s campaign ends, but he is yet to relay that to the club and is focused on completing the season, according to two sources.

The rumblings about Houston’s future, and in particular his links to the Demons, started early last month. Industry sources who wanted to remain anonymous when discussing Houston’s future confirmed Melbourne were monitoring the situation.”

Also says he’s actually contracted to 2028, not 2027, and that Port will be up for a trade to get picks in so they can try to get Perryman. Suggests we’d have to part with a first rounder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Houston is actually contracted until the end of 2028, not 2027 as readily reported. Melbourne (the only named suitor), would be required to depart with a minimum of one first round draft pick to obtain Houston services and two insiders have confirmed Melbourne is monitoring the situation. There is increasing belief he will request a trade at seasons end and Port Adelaide will likely consider in an effort to increase their draft hand. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 16:34, Fat Tony said:

Salem would have no trade value. 

cooked?

• Sad 1

Wherever we finish this year, we'd back ourselves next year with a fully fit list and some additions like Houston, to make that 1st a late pick in the teens. Therefore a Future 1st for Houston? 

I don't watch any Port/Neutral footy lately to know if he's worth it, but it seems better than the likelihood that we will currently end up with a pick 8-10 or so, if missing finals. And putting that on the table.

But make an elimination or semi then I guess we'd trade that Pick 11-14?

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

Perryman is an unrestricted free agent so why would Port need picks to get him. Doubt they’d be after a future first off us considering they don’t have a first rounder this year and it’s a very good draft, they’d want to get back in. If we could bring Houston in and still have a first round pick somehow through trades or whatever that would be a great result. Considering it’s such an even draft at the top end, you’d think Jason Taylor would be able to snuff out a gem even if it’s past the top 10.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Wherever we finish this year, we'd back ourselves next year with a fully fit list and some additions like Houston, to make that 1st a late pick in the teens. Therefore a Future 1st for Houston? 

I don't watch any Port/Neutral footy lately to know if he's worth it, but it seems better than the likelihood that we will currently end up with a pick 8-10 or so, if missing finals. And putting that on the table.

But make an elimination or semi then I guess we'd trade that Pick 11-14?

Another option would be to trade our first round pick for Houston but then try to trade back into the first round by putting our 2025 first rounder on the table - potentially ending up with Houston and pick 16-20 in a deep draft 

Edited by demoncat
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I like Houston as a player, but I imagine his departure may depend on whether Josh Carr takes over as coach.

Future 1st would be ideal but given this is Port Adelaide they will be a pain in the neck they will want something this year.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1

He would add another dimension to our game from the back half.

Can distribute the ball with laser like precision with his prodigious right leg, can win his own ball comfortably and mark above his head soundly.

I wouldn't be offering anything more than a future 1st 2025 as we need to us our picks this year.

• Like 2

port will want to maximise their draft hand, as they've not got much there...

has the afl confirmed as yet as to whether or not you can trade up to two years out, i.e. 2026 picks are up for grabs this year?

the longer they expand it the more 'open' trading will be 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kent said:

cooked?

It's not that he might not provide the MFC with good service going forward, but it's more that other clubs would rightly not trust his body. 

We've years of IP on how to handle his thyroid issue and we understand his body better than outsiders.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

It's not that he might not provide the MFC with good service going forward, but it's more that other clubs would rightly not trust his body. 

We've years of IP on how to handle his thyroid issue and we understand his body better than outsiders.

I think Salem is 'cooked'.

He has lost pace and penetration in his kicking. He cannot kick more than 45 metres anymore and the speed of his kicks is also much slower. He is still a smart player, but his loss of strength and pace also means he is not as good as he was in the contest. Plus he is getting more soft tissue injuries.

• Like 4

Just now, Fat Tony said:

He has lost pace and penetration in his kicking. He cannot kick more than 45 metres anymore and the speed of his kicks is also much slower. He is still a smart player, but his loss of strength and pace also means he is not as good as he was in the contest. Plus he is getting more soft tissue injuries.

I don't recall Salo ever kicking much more than 45m. Most of his passes have always been in that 15-30m region.

I think we'll see some more good footy from Salem. And for what we'd get ina trade and what he adds culturally, Ibe no idea what we'd be trying to do there.

• Like 1

Had a glance at the bigfooty Port forum and they're beside themselves at the prospect of losing Houston. Throwing up all sorts of outlandish trade demands and that "we'd want more than just a straight swap with Pickett". 

Which, while being insane, goes to show how highly they rate him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

Had a glance at the bigfooty Port forum and they're beside themselves at the prospect of losing Houston. Throwing up all sorts of outlandish trade demands and that "we'd want more than just a straight swap with Pickett". 

He's a good player, but i wouldn't consider him a super star, i'd suspect the deal would if he requested a trade consist of our first round pick, and perhaps some other swap of picks/players. 

Not sure i'd be willing to give up 2 first rounders for Dan Houston, maybe a first and a future second or something like that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

my cousin is a pear supporter and he doesn't think there's any chance they'll let him go

he's vital to them as he sets up all their play behind the ball

12 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

It's a fair summation, IMO. For mine the biggest noticeable drop-off has been the impact around the defensive contest. I wouldn't say it's for a lack of trying, but as you pointed it seems more to do with a lack of strength and power, with reference to his historical ability around contests. Obviously, this would also link into the drop-off in a kicks penetration. 

I still think he has value to us as a club, but he's likely to be of nominal value to another club. 

• Like 2