Allen Jakovich’s 30th Anniversary

41 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

Quite possibly my favourite player of all time. 

I still recall seeing him win a game at muddy Moorabbin pretty much all by himself. Freakish talent.

• Like 4

One of the most skilled entertainers I have ever seen. Such a shame he only played 54 games.

• Like 2

I was at the footy with my dad when he kicked 11.8 against North. He was a freak.

Credit to the @demonland crew for securing the interview with the great man a few years back too. It was a brilliant listen.

• Like 8

An absolute superstar.  On his day - and there were a few of them - he was unbeatable. His 1991 season was remarkable. 14 games - played round 1, then round 10, then round 14 through to the semi final. 0 goals in round 1, 1 in round 10, the proceeded to kick 70 goals in 12 games for the remainder of the season. Finished the season with 71.57. It was simply brilliant.

• Like 9

Freak.  All-time favourite of mine and any Demon fan who saw him in his pomp.

He burned out quickly but he burned very brightly to the point of incandescence.

Coincidentally, it's also the 35th anniversary of people spelling Jakovich incorrectly.  :D

• Haha 4

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Allen Jakovich’s 30th Anniversary
1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

I still recall seeing him win a game at muddy Moorabbin pretty much all by himself. Freakish talent.

He kicked 8.7 before 3/4 time then went quiet. Game was already done and dusted by then. He gave Danny Frawley a bath and upstaged Tony Lockett. Saints fans were shocked because it was an early game for Jako and still a relatively unknown. If only he was as disciplined and committed like his brother. He could have been an all time great. Burned too many bridges with his chaotic nomad lifestyle.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Most talented Demon ever! Talent was largely untapped. For the effort given he was simply sensational.  With any dedication and fitness he could have been one of the greatest AFL players. I was fortunate enough to witness most of his games.

• Like 1

For such a brief time he was a freak ,a superstar, and a very very powerful footballer. You couldn't look away when he was playing. And he was a real old fashioned player who liked a cig and a beer, it made us fans love him even more. 

It still irritates me that in 1994, we had Lyon, Shwartz, Neitz and Jakovich on our list and we couldn't win a flag. We played the final series without most of them due to injury (if my memory is correct). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Swooper1987 said:

An absolute superstar.  On his day - and there were a few of them - he was unbeatable. His 1991 season was remarkable. 14 games - played round 1, then round 10, then round 14 through to the semi final. 0 goals in round 1, 1 in round 10, the proceeded to kick 70 goals in 12 games for the remainder of the season. Finished the season with 71.57. It was simply brilliant.

And he snagged 60 or so in the reserves that same year for a 130+ goal season, if I recall correctly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Crow Batty said:

He kicked 8.7 before 3/4 time then went quiet. Game was already done and dusted by then. He gave Danny Frawley a bath and upstaged Tony Lockett. Saints fans were shocked because it was an early game for Jako and still a relatively unknown. If only he was as disciplined and committed like his brother. He could have been an all time great. Burned too many bridges with his chaotic nomad lifestyle.

You have a great memory.

I mostly remember the my saints mate being very quiet apart from asking me questions about Jacko.

I also remember having to wait about 30 mins to take a leak at that ground.

But yea people came expecting to see the big Plugger show but saw the opposite in AJ.

Worth the cost of a ticket.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

For such a brief time he was a freak ,a superstar, and a very very powerful footballer. You couldn't look away when he was playing. And he was a real old fashioned player who liked a cig and a beer, it made us fans love him even more. 

It still irritates me that in 1994, we had Lyon, Shwartz, Neitz and Jakovich on our list and we couldn't win a flag. We played the final series without most of them due to injury (if my memory is correct). 

Our defence in the Balme days was terrible The archetypical Swiss Cheese defence.

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I was at the footy with my dad when he kicked 11.8 against North. He was a freak.

Credit to the @demonland crew for securing the interview with the great man a few years back too. It was a brilliant listen.

Magic performer.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges

He always had a bad back, even in the Summer of 1990 when he came across, he was doing back exercises at Training each Session. By Late ‘94 he couldn’t move 

Such a Shame’94 went begging 

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

The final series in '94 was ok. We made the preliminary and the AFL in its discretionary basis sent us to play the Eagles in Perth. The decision was made the Monday before. Unbelievable.  The real tragedy though was the events prior and leading into the 1995 season. This was a team with a blend of youth and experience that could have formed a dynasty but career destroying injuries ruined all of that. Schwarz did his knee, Tingay (a superstar) fell through a pane of glass and severed his hamstring.  Lyon's back was a mess. Paul Prymke similar. Glenn Lovett, having finished 7th in the Brownlow, had his career destroyed by multiple hamstring injuries. Sean Charles hand was badly hurt and he was never the same. Jakovich injured during the season. Martin Pike left the club. No doubt I'm missing some. The era was ruined. It still irks me to this day.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

First game of footy I saw live was Dees v Eagles in '93. We were down by 4 goals to the reigning premiers in the third. Up steps a hitherto unsighted Jako to kick 6 in a half (and plant a kiss on Glen's cheek after one of them) to help the Demons storm home to win. Hooked on the Dees ever since.

Extraordinary that he kicked 8.1 in his last game for the Dees before his back put him out for the season and our finals tilt. Off the list by seasons end. 

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Deelectable said:

The final series in '94 was ok. We made the preliminary and the AFL in its discretionary basis sent us to play the Eagles in Perth. The decision was made the Monday before. Unbelievable.  The real tragedy though was the events prior and leading into the 1995 season. This was a team with a blend of youth and experience that could have formed a dynasty but career destroying injuries ruined all of that. Schwarz did his knee, Tingay (a superstar) fell through a pane of glass and severed his hamstring.  Lyon's back was a mess. Paul Prymke similar. Glenn Lovett, having finished 7th in the Brownlow, had his career destroyed by multiple hamstring injuries. Sean Charles hand was badly hurt and he was never the same. Jakovich injured during the season. Martin Pike left the club. No doubt I'm missing some. The era was ruined. It still irks me to this day.

1994 was the year that got away - I've  always thought so. Balme wanted them to "share" the footy - ie handball far too much, and as a result we lost a lot of games before he wised up, and finished in the lower half of the draw for the finals. If we had played to our ability, we would have finished at the top or very close, and not had to go to Perth. Schwarz was injured taking a speccy in the second final we played. Jako was already gone with his back problem. In the two finals we won we showed that we were the best team in the comp. Anyone who can get hold of a replay of the final vs Carlton should watch it - and weep.

The 1994 team was magnificent in its personnel - dare I say it, better than 2021. Wasted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ollie fan said:

1994 was the year that got away - I've  always thought so. Balme wanted them to "share" the footy - ie handball far too much, and as a result we lost a lot of games before he wised up, and finished in the lower half of the draw for the finals. If we had played to our ability, we would have finished at the top or very close, and not had to go to Perth. Schwarz was injured taking a speccy in the second final we played. Jako was already gone with his back problem. In the two finals we won we showed that we were the best team in the comp. Anyone who can get hold of a replay of the final vs Carlton should watch it - and weep.

The 1994 team was magnificent in its personnel - dare I say it, better than 2021. Wasted.

It wasn't wasted, still gave you great times and the those disappointments were all part of the story that made it so sweet when we did win 🙂

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, RedBlueandTrue said:

It wasn't wasted, still gave you great times and the those disappointments were all part of the story that made it so sweet when we did win 🙂

'94 may not have been wasted but the subsequent years certainly were. Not sure wasted is the correct term. If not for a plethora of long term injuries to a multitude of stars I feel confident this group could have won a couple of flags. Yep, 2021 was great but personally I would much preferred to have witnessed 3 premierships in my life as opposed to one.

After 1994, the opportunity was lost. Jako was finished, and in the 1995 preseason Schwarz did his knee and Lyon did his back - I think it might even have been in the one training session😭

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

We didn't have to go to Perth. The rule dictating the higher placed team got home ground advantage was not in place back then. I remember it vividly. The AFL hadn't made up its mind until late on the Monday preceding the game. Of course we we're screwed.  Having said that, I'm not sure the squad of '94 was quite ready. A lot of young superstars emerging. Can't agree that it was wasted. It's the subsequent years that fate totally conspired against us. It was a footballing tragedy.