Trade Targets 2025

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Tom Morris just reported that North is targeting Jack Viney to “reunite” him with his father. 

Demonland implosion incoming…

Don’t blame the Roos for asking. 

Would definitely be strange watching JV in other colours. Is he still untradable, heart and soul? 

Going on 31, might get 2nd rounder. Although 7 and JV for Pick 2 ain’t too bad. We can then split with Freos 8 and 13.

13 to PA for Houston. 8 to the draft. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Tom Morris just reported that North is targeting Jack Viney to “reunite” him with his father. 

Demonland implosion incoming…

Would be akin to the treatment of James MacDonald. 

The club ain’t that dumb and club would not risk that once more. We have evolved too much. 

• Like 3

If Houston is going to happen then i doubt we will make a play for another major player. Too risky.

So I think if we get Houston we will settle for a Peter Wright even Membrey type to fill a need and still keep a reasonable draft hand. 

Either that or we go crazy and trade all sorts in the 2024 MEGA TRADE

• Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Zero chance of this happening next year. Maybe down the line when he's 34-35 in his twilight years and he's getting pushed out for younger/fitter mids.

He's the most competitive footballer I've ever seen. If you think he's going to agree to a trade to a bottom-four development side, you're dreaming.

Some of the rumors flying around are just laughable. 

I would say that JV is currently in his twilight years and I will be surprised if he’s still physically able to play at 34/35. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Would be akin to the treatment of James MacDonald. 

The club ain’t that dumb and club would not risk that once more. We have evolved too much. 

yeah I still wonder about what they were thinking in those days. Heart and soul player.

Mind you I personally felt the same about Harmesy. He was no superstar but he was heart and soul, and never gave up.

33 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Don’t blame the Roos for asking. 

Would definitely be strange watching JV in other colours. Is he still untradable, heart and soul? 

Going on 31, might get 2nd rounder. Although 7 and JV for Pick 2 ain’t too bad. We can then split with Freos 8 and 13.

13 to PA for Houston. 8 to the draft. 

I'd start this by saying there are very few circumstances where i'd even consider trading jack viney because it would be a culture killing disaster. 

But hypothetically, he's contracted and our vice captain, i'd be saying to North Melbourne if you want him it'll cost pick 2. if they don't like that deal they can find another veteran to try and pry out of a club. 

If we’re serious about regenerating our midfield, Viney to North makes a lot of sense. We need a completely different look if we’re going to challenge over the next year or two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ANG13 said:

I would say that JV is currently in his twilight years and I will be surprised if he’s still physically able to play at 34/35. 

Considering the lack of support he's had this year in the middle (Clayton unfit, losing gus, Trac going down round 13 and an array of new players trialled through the middle) I think he's had a really solid season all things considered. He's coming off arguably his best two seasons and this year still performed well while clearly carrying some injuries.

Currently:

9th in the comp for tackles

13th for inside 50s

24th for contested possessions

No doubt he's fallen away as the seasons progressed (as the whole team has)

If he can have a clear run at preseason I don't see why he can't contribute the same next season with a fitter, better cast of midfielders around him.

Perhaps I was stretching it a bit but I feel he has two more strong years in him before we start talking about the twilight years for Jack.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Dusty was in a very similar position and Richmond signed him to a long term deal.

His off field challenges didn't seem to have a major impact on team culture between 2021-2023.

Comparing a 3 x Norm Smith, Brownlow player with Clarry is not equivalence 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Comparing a 3 x Norm Smith, Brownlow player with Clarry is not equivalence 

No, you're right. Dusty hadn't achieved any of that yet when they signed him to his mega deal. Clarry had...

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

No, you're right. Dusty hadn't achieved any of that yet when they signed him to his mega deal. Clarry had...

And how's the outcome looking so far?

If you think Clarry = Dusty you have rocks in your head

Take off your superglued rose coloured glasses, Adam 

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

And how's the outcome looking so far?

If you think Clarry = Dusty you have rocks in your head

Take off your superglued rose coloured glasses, Adam 

Where did I say Clarry = Dusty...?

17 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Where did I say Clarry = Dusty...?

You compared Dusty to Clarry. They are not in the same ball park. Surely even you can see this? Or maybe not... 🫤

13 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

You compared Dusty to Clarry. They are not in the same ball park. Surely even you can see this? Or maybe not... 🫤

I was comparing long term contracts.

When Dusty signed his and when Clarry signed his, Clarry had achieved far more. That's the only comparison.

Indisputable, but you seem to be in wrist slash mode, so away we go.

Edited by Binmans PA

Just now, Binmans PA said:

I was comparing long term contracts.

When Dusty signed his and when Clarry signed his, Clarry had a achieved far more.

Indisputable, but you seem to be in wrist slash mode, so away we go.

Not really, but if you think Dusty and Clarry are comparable, good for you, mate!

If Clarry wins 3 x NS and a Brownlow after his contract extention I'll declare Adam Farr the king of the world and bare my rrrse in Bourke St.

How's that for a comparison?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Viney is one of my favourites. He was just what we needed at the time and helped turn the culture around. But I wouldn't be worried if he left based on future output. I would be worried about why he is leaving.

If it's Jack that instigated the trade it means there is something very rotten going on at the club.

Edited by BAMF
Seeing as it's Tom Morris I'll be taking it with a grain of salt

On 07/08/2024 at 19:17, Demons11 said:

Peter Wright is weak as [censored].  That’s why he couldn’t get a game at Suns and now at Essendon. 

So is Ben Brown but he helped us to a flag

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

If we’re serious about regenerating our midfield, Viney to North makes a lot of sense. We need a completely different look if we’re going to challenge over the next year or two.

Agree we need a completely different approach and look. That’s why Goody is under the hammer because he won’t. Change his philosophy. As one poster said in another topic Goody will cost us prime time and dollars with our dour brand of footy. 

The amazing thing about this is our 21 Flag ended up being any thing but really dour once we broke free.  Bang Bang Bang is as far way if we keep playing the same style.  

• Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 21:01, Gawndy the Great said:

Yes it is suspected to be Quaynor. 

On the ruck situation:

Kalani White at this stage is a pipe dream and if we do manage to get him next year, it will take another 2-3 years of development to potentially be a senior ruckman. THat is 2028 best case, 2030 before he starts to have an impact. We cannot wait.

Is Verrall the answer for now? if not when? 2026? 2027? 

Tim English is 26 years old is someone that will demand big coin to leave the kennell and we will again face the Gawn, Grundy dilemma - i doubt he would come. We need an understudy ruckman, not too good that would demand the #1 list spot, but somebody that is serviceable and can pinch hit for Gawn when he's injured or rested i.e anywhere between 5-8 games per year.

Gawn will go for at least 2025 to try and get 250 games notched up and chase a 7th or 8th AA.  Possibly even 2026 to beat Stynes record. I seriously doubt he would be playing beyond that, however his body does seem to recover well and if he did try and play in 2027, hed get close to 300 - assuming he plays every game and we have a few finals games in those years. 

Gawny you are way out of line with the Kalani comment.

Have you ever seen him play? Is he an arch type ruck or he could be as indicated a CHB or even a forward. I am thinking Sam Darcy in development and readiness. You can’t BTW suddenly get an 18 yo to play as a 24/5 year old but some players are ready for AFL more than others. I have the impression that Kalani  is a Sam Darcy big kid type with huge natural ability. 

No waiting till 2028/30 for his maturity to affect our team. H

If we're considering trading Jack Viney then we're in rebuild mode. Given Tassy team entering the comp soon reloading through the draft now makes sense.

This should only happen if this is right for Jack and his family. We should not force him out. if he wants to stay then he stays.