Trade Targets 2025

Luke Parker would be a good get. He was the 61st ranked player in the AFL in 2023 on Wheelo Ratings. He is not in the midfield this year only due to Heeney taking his role (and injury/suspension).

Dylan Shiel is another veteran who we could us for a year or two and would cost little in draft picks or salary.

Ash Johnson could use a change of scenery and has AFL level talent. I don't think he is the answer to our forward woes but he could be part of the solution.

I am not against Rory Lobb if the Dogs contribute to his salary. He fills the back up ruck role better than what we currently have and we are in deep trouble if Max gets injured.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Luke Parker would be a good get. He was the 61st ranked player in the AFL in 2023 on Wheelo Ratings. He is not in the midfield this year only due to Heeney taking his role (and injury/suspension).

Dylan Shiel is another veteran who we could us for a year or two and would cost little in draft picks or salary.

Ash Johnson could use a change of scenery and has AFL level talent. I don't think he is the answer to our forward woes but he could be part of the solution.

I am not against Rory Lobb if the Dogs contribute to his salary. He fills the back up ruck role better than what we currently have and we are in deep trouble if Max gets injured.

parker yes

• Like 4

Purely as a back up and maybe get a couple of years out of him untill White comes on(if the AFL dont screw us).

But O'Brien is clearly on the outer at Adelaide and is a solid AFL ruck, think he would be very handy, he probably wouldn't leave to be a second ruck but who knows

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

Thoughts on Neil Erasmus @Pennant St Dee? Can't crack into freos midfield and contracted until 2025. Haven't seen him much since his draft year but remember he was quite highly rated.

He’s one of our Sorrento Duncraig boys, he’s a similar to what we have in terms of big bodied mid who isn’t quick. He can play forward and rotate through but obviously behind the Freo mids.

Pace is his weakness and I’m not sure he’s that quick running explosive mid we need

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, Demon 16 said:

Sounds like Tyson Stengel will be available for a big contract.

Free agent I think too.

he is clearly looking for a big, big pay packet back for a team based in the city of melbourne

peptides should be throwing significant coin at him; they need a small forward

• Like 2

On 17/06/2024 at 08:22, seventyfour said:

We can all dream about getting some superstar, but the reality is that elite players rarely move while already in their prime.

• 2023: None
  • 2022: Taranto
  • 2021: None
  • 2020: Treloar, Cameron, Daniher
  • 2019: Kelly
  • 2018: Lynch, Neale, Hogan, May

Slim pickings.

2023: Ben McKay, X Duursma, Taylor Adams, Brody Grundy

2022: Brody Grundy, Izak Rankine, Jason Horne Francis, Luke Jackson, Josh Dunkley, Tom Mitchell, Jacob Hopper, Taranto

2021: Adam Cerra, Jordan Dawson

2020: Adam Saad, Peter Wright, Treloar, Cameron, Daniher

Whether these guys are 'elite' or not is always up for debate

Some were involved in MFC trades, some were going home to other states, some have only come good after moving clubs, some have had setbacks, some are yet to fulfill their potential

The but the bigger question is would they have improved our list significantly? Even if we landed 2 or 3 of them? 

I think so.

Putting the mess of Brody Grundy aside, we've been poor at trading in since Steven May came on board 6 years ago.

Are we on the nose?

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

2023: Ben McKay, X Duursma, Taylor Adams, Brody Grundy

2022: Brody Grundy, Izak Rankine, Jason Horne Francis, Luke Jackson, Josh Dunkley, Tom Mitchell, Jacob Hopper, Taranto

2021: Adam Cerra, Jordan Dawson

2020: Adam Saad, Peter Wright, Treloar, Cameron, Daniher

Whether these guys are 'elite' or not is always up for debate

Some were involved in MFC trades, some have only come good after moving clubs, some have had setbacks, some are yet to fulfill their potential

The but the bigger question is would they have improved our list significantly? Even if we landed 2 or 3 of them? 

I think so.

Putting the mess of Brody Grundy aside, we've been poor at trading in since Steven May came on board 6 years ago.

Are we on the nose?

langdon came in after may, i think?

we got grundy, and it failed, and as everyone knows, we threw everything at cerra...except for dog jackson

our trade focus since the lever and may acquisitions has been getting up the order in the draft, which has worked out well - pickett, tholstrup, etc.

since hibberd, melksham, lever, may, langdon where we have added experienced players coming in it seems to have been about adding depth to the list (with the exception of grundy, who was expected - and failed - to be a part of our best 23)

how successful adding the likes of hunter, billings, and mcadam has been is up for debate; it hasn't worked out well as, with the exception of hunter, they've not offered much and aren't part of our best current side due to form and / or injury

• Like 2

I'd be interested in looking at Stengle if he's gettable. Would be nice to have a small forward that can actually crumb, and is disciplined enough to sit front and square. What we'd give to have Toby Bedford back right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparrowsfart said:

I'd be interested in looking at Stengle if he's gettable. Would be nice to have a small forward that can actually crumb, and is disciplined enough to sit front and square. What we'd give to have Toby Bedford back right now.

Definitely gettable if the $$ are right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparrowsfart said:

Stengle would be a massive steal. He is close to the best small forward in the league. But we are stacked in the SF department (Chandler, Kozzy, McAdam, Spargo) to name a few. Will he solve any problems that we currently have? Maybe a little, but our focus should be squarely on securing a midfielder as a FA. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BW511 said:

In my opinion, there’s very few names that any other club would actively be seeking out.

Trac, Koz, JVR and maybe Judd.

You wouldn’t want to give up any of them voluntarily but Judd is probably the one that could shake loose given he’d be getting paid minimally coming in as a rookie. Currency wise, it would be interesting to see what he could command.

All untradeable from where I sit. Hunter and Smith need to be gone and Clarry remains the interesting one. However with Viney ageing I think we need him. There's clearly some embers smouldering at the club, who, why, how and what I've no idea but whatever it is it needs to get finished with ASAP. Oh and I want some pace and class through the middle. Is Petty staying or going? 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Stengle would be a massive steal. He is close to the best small forward in the league. But we are stacked in the SF department (Chandler, Kozzy, McAdam, Spargo) to name a few. Will he solve any problems that we currently have? Maybe a little, but our focus should be squarely on securing a midfielder as a FA. 

Not much by way of midfielders in this years FA pool though. Think the draft will be where we can add mf quality.

Adding Stengle would allow us to release Koz for longer stints there, so maybe he’d help us in 2 areas of the ground. He’s certainly got Chin & Spargs covered for goal scoring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

he is clearly looking for a big, big pay packet back for a team based in the city of melbourne

peptides should be throwing significant coin at him; they need a small forward

I reckon another small forward who can hit the scoreboard wouldn’t hurt us at all either.

Definitely not interested in Stengel for $800k for 5 years though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I don’t know that we are stacked in the small forward department. We have a number of them on the list, but outside of Pickett (who we want spending more time in the midfield), our small forwards don’t have a lot of score board impact.

• Like 3

Kozzy is the only natural crumbing goal sneak we have on our list. Chandler is fringe IMO, Spargo is a half forward and McAdam plays mid sized.

If Stengle is available, I'd be throwing our hat in the ring strongly.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Travy14 said:

Purely as a back up and maybe get a couple of years out of him untill White comes on(if the AFL dont screw us).

But O'Brien is clearly on the outer at Adelaide and is a solid AFL ruck, think he would be very handy, he probably wouldn't leave to be a second ruck but who knows

Assuming Geelong stick with Conway who's very promising and English signs at the Dogs I can't see a Victorian team where big ROB would be the starting ruck. Maybe the Hawks but they'll stick with Meek/Reeves I'd imagine given they suit their timeline. 

So if the rumour is true that he's keen to come back to Victoria to continue his medical degree he'd be signing as a back up somewhere. If he costs nothing in a trade and takes genuine back up ruck money he'd certainly be the easiest solution, but the question is do we invest in a younger option who can take over from Max seamlessly, that's obviously the better solution if possible.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sparrowsfart said:

Bedford has a good high pressure game but has a grand total of 7 goals for the year so one every second game. Chandler has kicked more. Not exactly the answer to our small forward woes. I feel like the cost for Stengle will be too high to land him and coin would be better saved/served for a 2025 midfield warchest (assuming we cant jag an LDU or Callaghan end of year in contract). If you are willing to pay up it would need to be because we have confidence Koz can more fully sustain a impactful midfield role to close the gap next year.  

• Like 5

Dees should target young Angus Sheldrick from the Swans. Had good games in 2023 including a rising star nomination.  Showed form as good as Gulden and Warner etc.  but then a few injury ended his year.  This year again unable to crack into Swans line up this year due to injuries (finger and now ankle injury)  the fact they are overloaded with mids. Had 4/5 games in VFL and starred each week  

He is contracted to end 2025 but I’d definitely get in the phone to his manager.  Like to see Dees consider him. 

He’s only 21, drafted pick 18 in 2021 draft.  Strong with good pace and very good left foot disposal.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 2