PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Michael Voss Presser

On returning players being match fit: 

"I think what our high-performance team, our environment and our training provide is that they’re ready to go. Anyone we put out there, we feel like they’ve done enough of the work and the planning is very precise and we’re able to expose them to a game-like environment that gets them ready.

"If we feel they’re ready to go for the AFL, it’s because we feel like they’ve got adequate preparation to get out there and get the job done."

On their approach to the Melbourne defence: 

"Probably having first and foremost the same attitude the other way. That’s the game that they provide for you: you have to work your way through that, you have to be patient and also seek your opportunities when you need to.

"Clearly, their defensive structures are very strong. They’ve shown that not just over the short term, but over a long period of time. I think what I admire about Melbourne is their discipline to get their role done.

"They know who they are, what they bring and they stay true to it. For us, we need to make sure we understand that and that’s the environment we’re walking into but we’ve got to bring a similar approach and take our opportunities to get them."

On the contest battle: 

"Mentally we have to be prepared for a really tight game: that’s the way their games have panned out, but we don’t expect anything. We have to earn the right to go out there and play the way we want to play and Melbourne provides some real constraints to that but there are certain things we need to make sure we provide.

"We fell short on some of those last week, we lost some ascendency around the ball last week. When you look at Melbourne’s strengths, they’ve got a real strength around that part of the game with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver and all the names that sit around that part of the ground.

"It will be a pretty good contest around there, they’ve got some big bulls around there and so do we, so it’ll be a strong contest."

On Charlie Curnow and Melbourne's defenders: 

"Every week, we spend time on how the opposition might play. What are the nuances they provide that are slightly different to another team? We have to give that some attention.

"I think the strength is in our collective. I think [Charlie] buys into that extremely well. I’ve been nothing but impressed with how he’s approached that and he knows as well as anyone that our success is off the back of being able to get our forward line cohesion and connection right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

After reading that, I quite like Voss... a similar humility (from a coaching perspective) to Goodwin.

Good on him... he was probably one game off getting the chop 2 years ago.

and....

"Do you smell what we're cooking" 😁

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, No. 31 said:

If McGovern & Kemp are in, that will stabilise the Blues defence somewhat. If Martin comes in, that is a big 'in' IMO, he adds a lot to Carlton's offense, a genuine 3rd threat along with McKay & Curnow.

I suspect Marchbank needs a VFL match to sharpen up before coming back in. 

My thoughts are that the Blues will tire more than the Demons. You’ve had a gruelling 4 matches and you’ll be doing well not to be a tad physically and emotionally spent. I think that’s the opposite of what many feel is our 5 day break disadvantage.

21 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

My thoughts are that the Blues will tire more than the Demons. You’ve had a gruelling 4 matches and you’ll be doing well not to be a tad physically and emotionally spent. I think that’s the opposite of what many feel is our 5 day break disadvantage.

They have played more matched than us in the same period.  So hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, darkhorse72 said:

They have played more matched than us in the same period.  So hopefully. 

Also coming off a very hot game which they disappointingly lost at the death. They will be feeling the pressure, whereas we will be feeling confident after our win against Geelong. 

This is another genuine 50/50 contest. Carlton have had the better of us the last two times we met, especially in and around the ball. I hope our mids rise to the occasion and have a really strong game against Carlton's formidable midfield, as there is no doubt that winning contest is their game plan. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Also coming off a very hot game which they disappointingly lost at the death. They will be feeling the pressure, whereas we will be feeling confident after our win against Geelong. 

Stop being so measured! 😀

Isn't this the time, where sections of DL say that they'll come out "fired up" and we're drinking our own bathwater and "better not be complacent"??

• Haha 1

Sorry if mentioned in here and missed, crowd prediction?

Always hard to tell for these Thursday Night games

Fair bit riding on this one with some recent shaky form for the Blues, i reckon they'll come out breathing fire and throw everything at us. they'll have a HUGE, feral following as well 

Dees by 187

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6

A few mentions of us only having a 5-day break vs the Blues' 6-day break. 

Maybe, but this will be the 3rd game in 13 days for the Blues - kind of where we were at vs the Lions, although we had travel to take into account. While we came off a pretty gruelling game against the Cats, they are also coming off tough games against the Cats and the Pies.

With our recent byes, I think we have the edge, fitness-wise. 

If we can get Petty with another similar game (plus another goal?), better games from Trac and Viney (super important to match their midfield) - plus our usual backline fortress (+ Bowza, big in), high pressure and confidence from the Cats game, we should get the job done. We just need to be switched on all game, as McKay and Curnow can do a lot of damage in little time. And we definitely need to take our chances and kick straighter. 

It won't be an easy game. The Blues will be desperate as they have another tough game after this (Sydney over there) and will be looking to nab a win and stay in touch with the 8. 

I reckon we've got this, though.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

This is another genuine 50/50 contest. Carlton have had the better of us the last two times we met, especially in and around the ball. I hope our mids rise to the occasion and have a really strong game against Carlton's formidable midfield, as there is no doubt that winning contest is their game plan. 

Yep, it was great to see Clarry on the up last week. But it's so important that we see better games from Viney and Trac. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

If we played on Saturday night and our next game is Thursday night, isn’t that a four day break? Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. 

It's all in the way its counted. After all, Easter Sunday is the third day after Good Friday, yet there's only one day between them.

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

It's all in the way its counted. After all, Easter Sunday is the third day after Good Friday, yet there's only one day between them.

Effectively there are 5 days between 7 pm Sat and 7 pm Thurs 

9 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

What sort of crowd are we expecting @FearTheBeard?

High 50's given it's a Thursday night not in school holidays?

They're not yet selling mid or back row AFL members top level which would suggest it's not going to be a crowd for the ages.

GA areas are near identical (5% less reserved seat areas this year) to the game in round 22 last year which drew 68.5K.

Differences are the AFL is about 5% ahead on level 4 and the MCC is about 10% behind on level 4.

Personally, Im expecting 61K with my range of 58-65, given its a Thursday and they are coming off a loss where their reserved seat holders all showed up so am expecting a small drop off their.

If it were a Friday Night (thanks afl) and had they have won last week I would have said 75K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roy11 said:

Being a Thursday night, I would guess around 60K.

6 hours ago, Demonland said:

In: Bowey

Out: ?

Can we ban any links that could see Tom Morris profit in any way? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roy11 said:

MCC predicting 60,000.

Against the Cats they estimated 51,400 and we got 51,795.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

MCC predicting 60,000.

Against the Cats they estimated 51,400 and we got 51,795.

miss the days where they used to put the estimated crowd on their website.

Do you have a source in the MCC?

6 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Why did they stop doing that FTB? 

No source, a former manager left us to work at the G. Hardly see her since she left but if I do I might ask the question. 

20 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Yeh this was handy when they used to do it, esp trying to work out arrival times for Balcony seats in the MCC.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

If it were a Friday Night (thanks afl) and had they have won last week I would have said 75K.

Thanks FTB.

They could've easily put Geelong V Port on Thursday night and us on the Friday night. Port haven't had a 5 day break yet and we've obviously already had one. (Geelong have already had one, but the AFL wouldn't dare inconvenience them any more than possible)

I was under the impression Friday night takes priority over Thursday night, and by any measure our game is far more high profile than the Geelong/Port game.

12 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Why did they stop doing that FTB? 

No source, a former manager left us to work at the G. Hardly see her since she left but if I do I might ask the question. 

Stopped after Covid, 2019 was the last year they did it. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Its at the bottom of the AFL website 'Match Report' page for each game.

eg Port vs Crows round 8 https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/5958#match-report

Dees vs Geelong round 8 https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/5959#match-report

Edited by Lucifers Hero