The Drums are starting to beat for North

Interesting article in the The Age this week about a certain team from Royal Park way attracting a bus-load of sponsers, certain teams in this competion have unfair advantage due to AFL pandering of "blockbusters" and timeslot preference that make them very profitable,  unfortunately for the Roos, Bulldogs, Saints and lesser extent The Dees it's a catch 22, uncompetitive teams don't get Thurs, Friday night exposure for the sponser market (unless of course you are a certain team from Royal Park). So the rich get richer and the rest are left to derision from the "Have-alls" like Maguire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Perfect expression that everyone can agree with.

It can be read positively, meaning that GWS and GCS are certain to remain, or it can be read negatively, meaning GWS and GCS are hopeless and not making any headway.

I noticed that when I re read after I had sent it, couldn't be bothered amending it.

GWS and the Suns will be around as long as there is a comp. the AFL will make certain of that as they have already done so.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

Interesting article in the The Age this week about a certain team from Royal Park way attracting a bus-load of sponsers, certain teams in this competion have unfair advantage due to AFL pandering of "blockbusters" and timeslot preference that make them very profitable,  unfortunately for the Roos, Bulldogs, Saints and lesser extent The Dees it's a catch 22, uncompetitive teams don't get Thurs, Friday night exposure for the sponser market (unless of course you are a certain team from Royal Park). So the rich get richer and the rest are left to derision from the "Have-alls" like Maguire. 

I have no doubt the Demons can be in that Top Bracket as long as we keep nailing the good young recruits. But we do have to keep getting them right. There is no room for failure in the next 4-5 years 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have no doubt the Demons can be in that Top Bracket as long as we keep nailing the good young recruits. But we do have to keep getting them right. There is no room for failure in the next 4-5 years 

The next few years are crucial for our long term success, just shows how much pressure is on the recruiting staff, thank goodness for JT

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

The next few years are crucial for our long term success, just shows how much pressure is on the recruiting staff, thank goodness for JT

Absolutely. They are under pressure, but the rewards for getting it right are huge. 
Recruiters should be on similar money to Senior Coaches, with incentive clauses. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demon_spurs said:

Nah it’s easy

just go the WA kid every time 😂

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

18 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

https://apple.news/A0lAM3pr4RJeGYO9gqQeZFA

I don’t think North are going to survive the Map of Tassie Expansion….

They. already have a Tasmanian presence, and they have a coach who is said to support a Tasmanian presence.   Nobody wants an uneven number of teams.  Logic suggests that North relocate.

18 hours ago, Chook said:

Until we're worried about the AFL going broke, why are we talking about killing teams? This is a sport with nearing 200 years of history. You don't rip that up in search of a dollar.

Chook - AFL may well be heading for broke if the rumoured concussion class action succeeds.

15 minutes ago, monoccular said:

They. already have a Tasmanian presence, and they have a coach who is said to support a Tasmanian presence.   Nobody wants an uneven number of teams.  Logic suggests that North relocate.

Chook - AFL may well be heading for broke if the rumoured concussion class action succeeds.

Yes nobody wants to discuss Concussion litigation so far. It’s brewing 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jibroni said:

They should have moved to Gold Coast when they had the chance.

James Brayshaw chose to stay and now their stuck in the mud, this situation is on them.

Not sure it is as black and white as this. The North members voted to stay and James along with Angus' dad, Mark were on a board that had to implement the wishes of the members. They did this pretty well to be fair and reached finals in most years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Not sure it is as black and white as this. The North members voted to stay and James along with Angus' dad, Mark were on a board that had to implement the wishes of the members. They did this pretty well to be fair and reached finals in most years.

But what was the long term plan, JB said he had a Grand Plan (White Knights as i recall) but nothing happened…except that the situation is now far worse and very complicated 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

North have been down for 7 years and before that made finals 4 out of the previous 5 years. 

The Demons missed finals for 10 years and had some horrific years.

North have Sheezel, Wardlaw, Durrsma, Scott, LDU, McKercher, McDonald, Larkey, Curtis, Powell, etc.  Heaps of great youth.

North are better placed that the teams dropping now, like the Tigers who wont get many draft picks. They just need to get games into the youth. Once they start winning, players will stay

Alright I'll bite.

It's time we made an offer to Norf... not a merger but a takeover.

I'm from the corporate world and Norf is ripe for the taking.

Add a white strip down the side of the jumper & we'll call ourselves the kanga demons for two years 

Sheezel & Durrsma in the midfield & Larkey at FF

A. Clarkson - new coach

Three more Grannies.

I'll see myself out...

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

Historically, North Melbourne was always squeezed in geographically between Carlton to the East and Essendon to the North and never made inroads into the West as Footscray was there. They were always limited by their traditional geography in Melbourne. They really should have pursued interstate options when you can do it on your own terms and have some bargaining power ratger than circumstances forcing you into it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

Historically, North Melbourne was always squeezed in geographically between Carlton to the East and Essendon to the North and never made inroads into the West as Footscray was there. They were always limited by their traditional geography in Melbourne. They really should have pursued interstate options when you can do it on your own terms and have some bargaining power ratger than circumstances forcing you into it.

i hear ya, but carlton as a suburb is even smaller and hemmed in too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

i hear ya, but carlton as a suburb is even smaller and hemmed in too

But was one of the main immigrant hubs in late 19th and early 20th centuries which saw waves of different ethnic groups come through the suburb and eventually disperse to other suburbs ... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

But was one of the main immigrant hubs in late 19th and early 20th centuries which saw waves of different ethnic groups come through the suburb and eventually disperse to other suburbs ... 

that a more pertinent point

and to add to that, melb uni is technically not in carlton but most student would spend their leisure time in carlton and no doubt develop an association with carlton. and over the years that's a lot of people

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hardley Benial said:

Alright I'll bite.

Add a white strip down the side of the jumper & we'll call ourselves the kanga demons for two years 

A. Clarkson - new coach

Three more Grannies.

I'll see myself out...

I agree

NM just drop the North and we become the Melbourne Demons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, demosaw said:

Melbourne needs fewer AFL teams and Adelaide needs more. The North Adelaide Kangaroosters?

The Kangaroo Island Kangaroos. In time, and after tens of thousands of dollars are expended on marketing consultants, they will be rebranded 'The Islanders'. Leading to a law suit coming from Tasmania. The out-of-court settlement helping to pay for the new stadium in Hobart.

This may seem silly. But AFL HQ can make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I agree

NM just drop the North and we become the Melbourne Demons

And have an instant inner city training facility right in the heart of the new Arden precinct. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hardley Benial said:

Alright I'll bite.

A. Clarkson - new coach

Three more Grannies.

I'll see myself out...

And a home base at Arden St

🤮

Used to live in North Melbourne in the early 80s. Great place. Used to drown a few at Gary Dempseys pub in Abbortsford street. Great bloke he was but I still hated the local footy side.