PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

@Roost it far, that's great sentiment and feels accurate 😃

Context was that we had injuries, (and got injured - see Brayshaw) and the correlation/causation between how healthy a list is/in game injuries, and where you finish on the ladder, is well undeniable... and not very oft' spoken about in the public domain.

Hence we get language like 'wasted opportunities' whereby it's more about opportunistically injured....but maybe we're saying the same thing and I am being a pedant.

• Clap 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Context was that we had injuries, (and got injured - see Brayshaw) and the correlation/causation between how healthy a list is/in game injuries, and where you finish on the ladder, is well undeniable... and not very oft' spoken about in the public domain.

Hence we get language like 'wasted opportunities' whereby it's more about opportunistically injured....but maybe we're saying the same thing and I am being a pedant.

I’ve watched that game several times. We had them on toast. Fritsch and TMac kick very gettable shots and we’re in the Prelim. Wasted opportunity, we’ve now got GWS, Geelong and Carlton pushing hard to be better than us. The next 2 weeks will give us a guide but this year above others we can’t afford injuries and we have to go top 4 and get a QF at the G.

Saturday night feels like a massive opportunity to get a very important 4 points and show the comp who’s still the boss.

I will say that we’re performing far better than I thought we would 8 weeks ago. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 5

Watching David King on AFL360 analysing Cameron's game. Reckons Nathan Broad last year played him perfectly.
Half suggested McVee as a match up. Obviously far too short and light.
Trent Rivers not too dissimilar to Broad in physique (4cm shorter and 1 kg heavier).
I don't mind it. With May on Hawkins I'm not sure who TMac takes (Blicavs?).
I still reckon Lever takes O Henry and zones off at every opportunity. Howes on Close.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

The MFC premierships are not evenly distributed though are they. 

They’re a bit more of a normal distribution centred around the 40s/50s?

So for me the question is - are you happy with 1 in the last 60?

I’m not happy with 1 since 1978 when I was born. 

What all of us have in common is waiting a long time coming for our last flag.  My kids born in the 1980’s are not dissimilar to you. They literally had to wait a lifetime, be it 30 to 40 odd years

Me, I was alive for our flag in 1964, so it had not been a lifetime waiting. But it was over half a bloody century waiting! That is a very long time. I was resigned to think I may never see us get one while I was still alive. 

As a footnote, I have never enjoyed going to the footy as much as  have in the last few years. Dream of perhaps seeing us snag a few more. 🤞GO DEES !!

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

We know how often people play their best games against us. Just recently Cam Rayner was the perfect example.

I expect Hawkins to break his goal drought against us.

I am well aware of his past deeds. Our Defense is in for a busy night. But i back them in to get the job done 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M_9 said:

Watching David King on AFL360 analysing Cameron's game. Reckons Nathan Broad last year played him perfectly.
Trent Rivers not too dissimilar to Broad in physique (4cm shorter and 1 kg heavier).
I still reckon Lever takes O Henry and zones off at every opportunity. Howes on Close.

I'd be staggered if Rivers plays on Cameron. We lose a lot of drive from our slingshot game if Rivers is playing on someone rather than playing +1 interceptor, which he often is. 

• Like 4

The focus for us should be playing our game and getting our midfield running well. 

obviously look after Cameron etc but if we get our guns rolling, we make the Cats react to us. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

I despise Geelong

• Like 9

Maybe my recollection is hazy but Cameron moves high up the ground to try and drag lever up the ground and disrupt or defensive structure. He's only kicked 3g twice against us. Hardly bothered us at all really. 

Not to dismiss him but the more important factor is not allowing the Cats to move the ball with speed into their i50

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Maybe my recollection is hazy but Cameron moves high up the ground to try and drag lever up the ground and disrupt or defensive structure. He's only kicked 3g twice against us. Hardly bothered us at all really. 

Not to dismiss him but the more important factor is not allowing the Cats to move the ball with speed into their i50

A bloke I coach with who is a Geelong supporter was bragging today about how they'd smash us this weekend and said Cameron is playing a decoy role. And I said Cameron and Hawkins are playing decoy roles? Wowee. What a forwardline.

The smalls and mid sized forwards are the ones that tend to trouble us. Let's see how we go. I'm looking forward to when I see him next week after a Melbourne win.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Nicko said:

and for reference our biggest ever home and away crowd against the cats is 58,208 so hopefully the nine of us push us past that

No it we've had much higher crowds...

Round 21 2000 = 76,059 ( I was there)

Round 8 1963 = 83,518

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

The focus for us should be playing our game and getting our midfield running well. 

obviously look after Cameron etc but if we get our guns rolling, we make the Cats react to us. 

Yes, be proactive. I like it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Round 8 1963 = 83,518

Me too. It was driven by the fact that the Olympic Torch went around the MCG that day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

Whilst Hunter has moments of brilliance, I'm not sure he really offers anything more than what we have in the side at the moment. His underground handballs are frequently intercepted, and he doesn't exactly offer speed in the spread out of the contest or around the ground. I commend his ability to kick the miraculous goal, but he doesn't hit the scoreboard enough IMO to justify inclusion on that ground. 

I'd much rather give the game time to Windsor; his skills are far superior and he can also kick a classy goal (though I wouldn't depend on him week in week out for a Joe the Goose). 

Hunter wouldn’t be replacing Windsor. It either Laurie or woe. Can’t imaging Laurie being dropped after 2 goals which leaves woe. Not sure woe has offered too much since coming in 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd be staggered if Rivers plays on Cameron. We lose a lot of drive from our slingshot game if Rivers is playing on someone rather than playing +1 interceptor, which he often is. 

If he were to quell his output he may save us 5-6 goals though?

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Round 8 1963 = 83,518

You are absolutely right - no idea where I got my numbers from 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I thoroughly believe had Gus stayed in the game or been replaced by an equal sub ( not Laurie) we would have won that game.

Or with Melksham not injured the game prior or Bbb injured too or Petty. It was a nightmare of fwd injuries.

So it's hard to say that our makeshift fwd line did well with the poor inside 50 entries or not. And yea the entries were not great. As mentioned earlier some easy shots were missed.

But we were very unlucky. Not that you can really call Maynard's act a luck element.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, M_9 said:

Would rather see Petty down back again and keep Disco up forward TBH.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Would rather see Petty down back again and keep Disco up forward TBH.

Disco certainly stays as a forward. TMac playing his role well. No place for Petty as a back (even as good as he is as a back man) with Howes and Hore coming along ok. If Petty doesn’t deliver this week then I think he’s Casey bound.

16 hours ago, M_9 said:

Match-ups are going to be crucial this week. I say that because it seems that numerous Cats are extremely versatile.

There's the givens: TMac on Cameron and May on Hawkins. I'd be thinking Judd and Howes on Miers and Stengle. Lever on O.Henry.

Tuohy was named at HBv the Blues but booted 3.0. He may well be named HB again but there's no match up there for him there other than ANB or Disco.

I know I'm stating the bleeding obvious but Petty needs to step up. I think he'll get Kolodjashnij and, at his best, he is a much better player. Stewart to Fritta (break even) and SdK to JvR (break even).

Hopefully Clarry can have the impact he's yet to have this year.

My tip: Cats by 3 goals.

I really wish O. Henry played for us. Just so Demonland could call him by his real name of William Sydney Porter.

50 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Disco certainly stays as a forward. TMac playing his role well. No place for Petty as a back (even as good as he is as a back man) with Howes and Hore coming along ok. If Petty doesn’t deliver this week then I think he’s Casey bound.

Petty won’t be playing VFL, say it after me PETTY WONT PLAY VFL. How did that feel?

• Like 1

Little stat file for @binman & his burner account @Binmans PA

All of this goo’ing over Cameron by the media and your mate David King.

Cameron has kicked 4 goals for geelong from 4 starts against Melbourne.

He has 18 from the remaining games he played for GWS against Melbourne. I reckon we know how to handle him.

Our biggest issue has always been Hawkins.

Posted (edited)

The closer a game gets the more confident I get. Geelong and the media think the Cats are better than they really are. The Blues should’ve beaten them even with a poor defensive effort. Now replace that defence with ours……feels good doesn’t it? On top of that Dangermouse was responsible for 5 of their goals. He’ll be sitting in the stands wishing the nightmare unfolding in front of him would end. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

Little stat file for @binman & his burner account @Binmans PA

All of this goo’ing over Cameron by the media and your mate David King.

Cameron has kicked 4 goals for geelong from 4 starts against Melbourne.

He has 18 from the remaining games he played for GWS against Melbourne. I reckon we know how to handle him.

Our biggest issue has always been Hawkins.

@binman has alluded to this on the podders, but usually when we play Geelong down at the Cattery, it's much later in the season, where we are struggling to kick straight, not necessarily struggling to generate scoring shots mind you. For example, last season we each had 23 scoring shots, we kicked 8.15 and they kicked 11.12, but the last time we played them at the MCG, early in the season was 2021, where we beat them comfortably. Again, no Dangerfield that day either.

So I think it'll be a different game to what we've seen since 2021. I don't think we'll struggle to score, but what's interesting for me is whether they can get through our defensive system.

• Like 5
  • Love 1