• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Matthew Lloyd Worried About the Dees in 2024

Demonland

On 20/02/2024 at 10:46, In Harmes Way said:

Injuries, form, game style in Feb/March doesn't really matter a stuff. Let's start to take notice and get worried if need be in late July.

This season I think those first few games really do matter. If we get off to a 0-3 or 0-4 start, along with all the other issues currently plaguing the club, the players' morale could be at rock bottom. And with our lack of forward depth I wouldn't want to be playing catch-up all season to reach the top four.

That's not a Doomsday prediction. The opposite is also true. A good start would do wonders to get us clear of the toxic atmosphere the media have built up around the club.

If Oliver wins the Brownlow and the Dees take the flag, nothing that happens off the field can touch us.

• Like 4

I think Lloyd is right in a few instances.

- have we been playing too safely? Yep, fair call. Couple of questionable calls last year and there seemed to be a reluctance to change any strategy part way through games. For example I think we all felt the frustrations at the continuous and predictable kick outs.

- have we relied too much on Gawn? No. We drafted for this need with Fullerton, and last year we drafted Grundy and mixed up our forward rucking. Sure he is aging, but unfair to say we’re relying on him when we’ve actively drafted against that.

- uncertain on how we’ll perform this year? Yep, ok I can see that. My personal view is that we will finish top 4 and win the granny, but I can see how others see our injuries (particularly forward injuries) as a continuation of last year and that it’s been a few years since our last finals win.

I wouldn’t say this is ground breaking journalism, and nothing for us to get our knickers in a knot about.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, TheWiz said:

I think Lloyd is right in a few instances.

- have we been playing too safely? Yep, fair call. Couple of questionable calls last year and there seemed to be a reluctance to change any strategy part way through games. For example I think we all felt the frustrations at the continuous and predictable kick outs.

- have we relied too much on Gawn? No. We drafted for this need with Fullerton, and last year we drafted Grundy and mixed up our forward rucking. Sure he is aging, but unfair to say we’re relying on him when we’ve actively drafted against that.

- uncertain on how we’ll perform this year? Yep, ok I can see that. My personal view is that we will finish top 4 and win the granny, but I can see how others see our injuries (particularly forward injuries) as a continuation of last year and that it’s been a few years since our last finals win.

I wouldn’t say this is ground breaking journalism, and nothing for us to get our knickers in a knot about.

Whether or not we drafted to cover Gawn we still have a massive over reliance on him. The Pies beat us without Daicos. Had Gawn not played that night it might of got ugly

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Whether or not we drafted to cover Gawn we still have a massive over reliance on him. The Pies beat us without Daicos. Had Gawn not played that night it might of got ugly

Im struggling to understand your point. You’re saying it’s irrelevant of our drafting to cover Gawn, then you use an example where if Gawn didn’t play we would have had Grundy - which from the other rounds he covered - we would have been fine?

On 20/02/2024 at 20:26, fr_ap said:

... the bottom has fallen out of the list depth-wise

Dunstan, Jordon, Harmes, Grundy and Hibberd.

I respect each of those players but it is hardly the bottom falling out.

47 minutes ago, demosaw said:

Lloyd in his prime in our forward line - 🏆 

Weideman in his prime and we have a premiership! Though it was indeed a very, very brief prime.

Edited by Little Goffy
  • Haha 1

On 20/02/2024 at 13:48, DeeZee said:

The only thing that worries me , in basic terms, is that we have had a disconnect or lack of fluidity in our forward line for two seasons now , which cost us two finals series while deep in the premiership window ,and it’s yet to be seen if this issue will be resolved.

Our forward line was functioning really well in the past few rounds up until Melksham did his ACL vs Sydney. IMO losing Melksham cost us significantly during finals as he made us so dangerous forward of centre which would have made a significant difference in both finals.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, chookrat said:

Our forward line was functioning really well in the past few rounds up until Melksham did his ACL vs Sydney. IMO losing Melksham cost us significantly during finals as he made us so dangerous forward of centre which would have made a significant difference in both finals.

100%.

The impact of losing melk was underrated I reckon.

On addition to his forward craft he would have negated the intercept marking of say Moore and weitering (or whichever defender he went to).

• Like 3

Recent off field shenanigans with more potent revelations (likely) to come, would suggest that all is not well behind the scenes and it that we do not have a strong enough culture, from end-to-end, that is essential to winning a flag let alone making it to top four.

Our window was 2021, 2022 and 2023. 

It's going to be a long cold winter, thankfully I live in the Northern Hemisphere 

Im genuinely interested to see where any and all of this situation sits after round 6.

Atm i have us finishing out of the 8.  I may reassess at that point.

Thats not being pessimistic...in fact quite the opposite.  If a wheel falls off it wont be alone.  Ive never seen us coached to success when the better cards of the deck aren't available.

As to some of the virtuous posturing of some here...  true comedy.

The problen with footy is it's invariably fluid.  Many teams will improve this season. It was fairly even last....  if we are same same...  well...just wave as others go past.

Footy 24... bring it...be at it.

Fwiw...   thought Lloydy was pretty fair in assessing us.

39 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Im genuinely interested to see where any and all of this situation sits after round 6.

problem is we start with sydney and both adelaide teams away, as well as brisbane. dogs and hawks are no pushovers either but we should be beating them if we are to make finals. honestly if we are 3-3 i think thatll be a pretty good start. 4-2 and ill be pumped. the fixture does get a touch easier from there in terms of travel etc but its a long way home....

• Like 2

I think there is a good possibility the wheels fall off this year 

Lack of F50 firepower and a lot of young blokes and injuries could mean we lose constancy.

I think you're naive in thinking all will be fine, but it will be an interesting watch how the boys respond throughout the year.

All that being said I'm looking forward to the footy this year.

Will that change in 4 weeks?

Just a reminder to the football world; at present we have 15 Premiership players fit and in good early season form. That's not counting Oliver or Petty, who will join soon. We also have a gun recruit ready to go on one wing, an x factor mid-forward from Adelaide, as well as Billings. We have a maturing young group; JVR, McVee, Bowey and Woewodin. This doesn't ensure four points every game, but it does mean we have a list that can beat any other AFL team when in form.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Just a reminder to the football world; at present we have 15 Premiership players fit and in good early season form. That's not counting Oliver or Petty, who will join soon. We also have a gun recruit ready to go on one wing, an x factor mid-forward from Adelaide, as well as Billings. We have a maturing young group; JVR, McVee, Bowey and Woewodin. This doesn't ensure four points every game, but it does mean we have a list that can beat any other AFL team when in form.

I agree. I think we do have the cattle. its how we use them that is significant.

Resting and loading so peak performance when required is the key.

Old bodies need recovery while young bodies need to be tuned, Im sure the coaches know know whos at what stage.

I would like to see an improvement in our forward structures however with concentration on separation and surging. It seemed to me that we often surge with brilliant passages of play but then would drop off all aspects particularly pressure on opposition. Kossie provides pressure in the forward line and I prefer him there rather than in the centre where we have plenty of options.

the coaching needs to recognise when players are "off" and needs strategies to have them refocus. The game is played in the head when physical aspects are so tightly monitored and controlled. Im hoping for an improved mental approach. 

How the players handle all the preseason distractions is a good indicator and i look forward to the real season.

I hope the players and coaches realise how much we all crave winning and how much we invest in them emotionally, and how fleeting and difficult is success. they have a great opportunity let em rip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biggestred said:

problem is we start with sydney and both adelaide teams away, as well as brisbane. dogs and hawks are no pushovers either but we should be beating them if we are to make finals. honestly if we are 3-3 i think thatll be a pretty good start. 4-2 and ill be pumped. the fixture does get a touch easier from there in terms of travel etc but its a long way home....

This is why im  interested/intrigued/concerned.   We supposedly play ok in Churchville...but...  Our seasons early fixture will hammer us if we aren't up and about.....and then it's catch up footy at best.

Our resilience has waned. If we are faring poorly after 6.....it aint getting any better imho.

I can only hope the hinted at new plan A into the 50 might work with correct and fit personnel.  If not...plan b hail Mary's....we're stuffed  :(

On 20/02/2024 at 11:02, Demonland said:

The ‘big questions’ Matthew Lloyd has about one club ahead of 2024 season

Matthew Lloyd says he’s unsure where Melbourne is at heading into the new season.

The Demons are coming off a second straight sets exit from the finals, having now lost four consecutive matches in September.

With the new campaign less than three weeks away, Lloyd says there’s “big questions” about the club’s recent game style.

“I’m not sure about Melbourne,” he told 3AW Football’s pre-season preview podcast.

“(There’s) big questions about Simon Goodwin, I think he’s played too safe.”

Thanks for your concern Matthew, but [censored] off

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/02/2024 at 08:43, Ethan Tremblay said:

I think he made some good points and agree with most of what he said. 

Everything apart from 'they were found out in the finals'.

Our inaccurate kicking caught up with us. I don't think out game style failed us. Maybe it's semantics to some, but I think there's an argument to say we let ourselves down, more so than got found out by opposing teams in those 2 finals. 

I agree with the instability and the question mark about whether our gamestyle will hold up again. 

• Like 1