The Dees Incredibly Frustrating to Watch

Demonland

The media love for Collingwood is sickening. I also feel we are all being softened up for a Pies Blues GF this year. #sportsentertainment

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

The lack of bounce from half back, the lack of speed and class through the midfield and the ordinary forward line have all been issues the last 2 years.

We slipped from hard nose defending with a dynamic attacking game to something more like Ross Lyon ball the last 2 years.

It's certainly something that has to change.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

It was back pre-premiership when I had to listen to a few games through online radio that I began noticing a pattern; when the Demons were up and about during a game, the commentators had to lift their own pace to keep up. The ball moved from player to player and even when the opposition had it the intensity of pressure meant that there was a continuous bobbing around and urgency to play. It was tempo football done brilliantly and culminated in the 2021 premiership. That game went almost to a coaching panel's timetable. 'Set your watches, gentlemen.'

We all know the trouble - it is hard to sustain that for long and if the result is too many behinds it saps the energy and doesn't give us the buffer we need while absorbing the counter punch.

A 1 in 8 improvement in our scoring accuracy and we'd be both exciting to watch and would have had just two losses in 2023.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

39 minutes ago, sisso said:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching us win the majority of games I’ve attended in the last 4 seasons so not sure what these click chasers are on about…

Very much agree.    The Win Loss record for this period  last 6 or 7 games 2020 until now is the best period I have watched the Demons    If you cannot go to the footy and enjoy this time   you are nuts.

I go expecting to win,    not looking for something that some player does to feel good about   or a 5 goal loss was not too bad.     It will be the same this year   we WILL win more games than we lose.    GO DEES

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

We were poetry in motion during our finals campaign in 2021. A joy to behold.

Last year we were hard to watch most of the time. Stodgy ball movement, patchy forward connection and of course injuries stymied us.

I'm hopeful McQualter can help us click again. And i have my fingers crossed we can keep our KPF fit.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

The media love for Collingwood is sickening. I also feel we are all being softened up for a Pies Blues GF this year. #sportsentertainment

You can feel it wafting in the air.

• Thanks 1

Even as a huge fan i found it very hard to enjoy watching us last season even when we were winning. some of the first halves of games it was staggering how few goals we scored. 

Hopefully we find a way to open up our attacking play and move the ball quicker and more accurately this year 

• Like 4

Personally, I love tight defensive footy. Goalfests bore me. Collingwood are ok to watch but mostly because so many games are close, come-from-behind matches - which makes you ask: Why do they get behind?

Melbourne plays a hard, defensive game with the capacity to  score very quickly at times. I love it unless we lose!

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, drdrake said:

I liked watching GWS in the last part of the season,  they had dare and skills.  We played a boring predictable game style the last 2 years.  

I'll take Boring and Predictable if it means we get at least 2 Finals again. Sheeeet I'll take One Finals Game.  Better than a game being done before Half time...... I've seen enough of those. It's great knowing that a games there to be won than going in hoping we might put up a decent effort. I want a more Hardened Defensive effort and Less Zone Defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

I liked watching GWS in the last part of the season,  they had dare and skills.  We played a boring predictable game style the last 2 years.  

They played EXACLTLY like us. Their game plan was completely based on ours.

Come finals EVERY team pretty much adopted our game plan, in particular the blues, giants and Pies. 

Forward half (ie get it inside 50 as quickly and directly as possible and keep it there - hence the hated long bomb), transition, brutal football with insane pressure and huge tackle numbers is now the template for modern finals football.

Basically the tigers template with a dees tweak.

It is the model that has won EVERY since 2017, bar the 2018 Eagles win (after the raging favorites the Tigers got rolled by the Pies in the prelim)   

The eyes say this is true. And the stats and data back it up completely. 

Clubs now employ game two styles a season.

The finals (and any high stakes, high pressure games during the season like our last blues game) method as above. 

And the home and away method - there is more variation between clubs with this method, but come finals last year they all reverted to our game plan. 

The home and away model is faster and more attractive. The goal is to win games obviously. But the secondary goal is to make it the finals not too banged up. 

I haven't listened to the audio clip, but i'm guessing the pies are rated the most attractive team to watch. 

In their 3 finals the Pies averaged 69 points.

In the blues three finals they averaged 69 points.

On the back of easy kills against the Saints and Port (both defenses were woeful) the giants averaged 83, but  could only score 57 against the Pies in a brutal smackdown game. 

We averaged 62 point in our two losses 

The lions were the outlier averaging just over 100, but again thta was padded by smashing the defensively woeful Port.

The Lions averaged 82  in their other two finals (for what its worth, i think the Lions have the most attractive style). 

So only the Lions averaged more that 100 points in the finals - the total that is the benchmark for a decent score in the home and away season, particularly in the first half of the season. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 640MD said:

Very much agree.    The Win Loss record for this period  last 6 or 7 games 2020 until now is the best period I have watched the Demons    If you cannot go to the footy and enjoy this time   you are nuts.

I go expecting to win,    not looking for something that some player does to feel good about   or a 5 goal loss was not too bad.     It will be the same this year   we WILL win more games than we lose.    GO DEES

We are dynamic and highly talented yet suffer greatly from injured players - so we must add still more depth as coverage in the team - plus train consistently with our young talent pool to enable a range of 'ready' swaps at short notice (not just game-day try-outs punctuated with our combined, enormous hopes that corners will be turned). The public entertainment rules raffle from the umpires has also hamstrung our team considerably for several seasons, as if we were walking scapegoats for intended games outcomes. Perhaps, there also seems to be an issue with our club leaders, officials and their donned associates who need to be more forthright, more challenging and more consistently aggressive about the snots' decisions that glaringly hinder, hamper and handicap our performances in games and the related implementation standards of rules in a game, not selective applications to force a certain result.

• Like 2

Of course it’s frustrating kicking 7.20, dominating the inside 50s and losing. But, we are incredibly hard to beat the last three years and I hope it continues for a few more years. 
I’m enjoying this team and frustration is just part of the ride.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

As much as I hate this type of commentary, they’re right - we’re incredibly frustrating to watch. We are so much better than some of our results, which for a number of reasons (injuries, inside 50s, sub decisions etc) was what it was last year.

The only way to silence everyone is to win games. I really hope we take that step forward this year and win it again. I honestly believe we can.

Go dees.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, binman said:

They played EXACLTLY like us. Their game plan was completely based on ours.

Come finals EVERY team pretty much adopted our game plan, in particular the blues, giants and Pies. 

Forward half, transition football, brutal football with insane pressure and huge tackle numbers is now the template for modern finals football. Basically the tigers template.  

The eyes say this is true. And the stats and data back it up completely. 

Clubs now employ game two styles a season.

The finals (and any high stakes, high pressure games during the season like our last blues game) method as above. 

And the home and away method - there is more variation between clubs with this method, but come finals last year they all reverted to our game plan. 

The home and away model is faster and more attractive. The goal is to win games obviously. But the secondary goal is to make it the finals not too banged up. 

I haven't listened to the audio clip, but i'm guessing the pies are rated the most attractive team to watch. 

In their 3 finals the Pies averaged 69 points.

In the blues three finals they averaged 69 points.

On the back of easy kills against the Saints and Port (both defenses were woeful) the giants averaged 83, but  could only score 57 against the Pies in a brutal smackdown game. 

We averaged 62 point in our two losses 

The lions were the outlier averaging just over 100, but again thta was padded by smashing the defensively woeful Port.

The Lions averaged 82  in their other two finals (for what its worth, i think the Lions have the most attractive style). 

So only the Lions averaged more that 100 points in the finals - the total that is the benchmark for a decent score in the home and away season, particularly in the first half of the season. 

The big difference between Gws and us they have better skills with ball in hand.  Yes the introduced being harder at the contest, but there ball movement was much better then ours especially late in the season.

• Like 2