Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome Back to Demonland Marty Hore

dazzledavey36

If he was drafted he would have to be a pretty unique journey wouldn't he?

- VFL best and fairest in 2017 and 2018.

- Drafted 2018 as a mature age recruit (22 years old).

- Played 14 AFL games in 2019.

- No games in 2020 or 2021 (injured most of 2021 I think).

- Delisted and went back to the VFL:

--2022: playing for North Melbourne (3rd in their best and fairest, behind winner Dom Tyson for trivia buffs) and named in the VFL team of the year

--2023: playing for Williamstown, won their best and fairest and named in the VFL team of the year.

- Back on AFL list in 2024, age 28?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 7

He’s one of those players who’s too good for the VFL, but the issue I have is his best footy comes as an intercepting 3rd tall and we already have Lever as well as developing Disco Turner for that role.

He’s not going to keep up with nippy smalls in a back pocket. He’s not going to man good key forwards one on one deep. And he doesn’t provide the run we need as a back flanker. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

I’d imagine they’d look at him predominantly as a Casey player - a bit like Dunstan was. I actually like the strategy of putting 2 or 3 quality senior guys with good habits at Casey, to bring through our new recruits. It means that the young guns get a good role model on their line, to learn from, whilst keeping Casey strong.

• Like 12

I thought it was a harsh decision to delist Hore at the start. He's been in absolutely terrific form at VFL and his numbers are through the roof.

In saying that, I would have thought a mature age ruckman would be the biggest need ahead of another half back flanker/tall defender.

I hope Will Varrell is ready next year.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

If he's taken as a rookie, it would add to the list of ridiculous recent acquisitions of mature aged players. Dunstan, Schache and maybe Hore. Dunstan and Schache were acquired as depth, but were never played when we had injuries.

I thought we traded picks 14, 27, 35 for pick 11, because we didn't intend to use the latter picks. Surely there's top 40 youngsters with a higher ceiling than a 28yo Marty Hore. 

As DD said, if it was a mature aged ruck, I'd understand. But we are not lacking in mid sized backmen.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, mo64 said:

If he's taken as a rookie, it would add to the list of ridiculous recent acquisitions of mature aged players. Dunstan, Schache and maybe Hore. Dunstan and Schache were acquired as depth, but were never played when we had injuries.

I thought we traded picks 14, 27, 35 for pick 11, because we didn't intend to use the latter picks. Surely there's top 40 youngsters with a higher ceiling than a 28yo Marty Hore. 

As DD said, if it was a mature aged ruck, I'd understand. But we are not lacking in mid sized backmen.

Not every recruit needs to play in the 1s and have 30 mate. We're not assembling a fantasy team on FIFA.

Dunstan was a crucial contributor to Casey winning a flag, which benefited all of Chandler, Woewodin, JVR, Turner and Bedford (benefiting GWS), most of whom are now regulars in the 1s. 

Schache likewise - takes the best defender and kicks bags in the VFL

Casey's success is crucial to our fortunes in so many ways. A lot of people don't understand this but there is a clear correlation of the strongest VFL teams with the strongest AFL teams. 

Bit chicken or egg - but either way, seasoned experience that helps Casey is valuable. 

Not saying I love this acquisition btw as I never really thought he had the athleticism against AFL forwards. I'd rather someone who was depth but a greater capacity to impact at the top level and carve out a spot - someone like Mannagh. But appreciate he will likely go in the ND.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

I’d imagine they’d look at him predominantly as a Casey player - a bit like Dunstan was. I actually like the strategy of putting 2 or 3 quality senior guys with good habits at Casey, to bring through our new recruits. It means that the young guns get a good role model on their line, to learn from, whilst keeping Casey strong.

Spot on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He’s one of those players who’s too good for the VFL, but the issue I have is his best footy comes as an intercepting 3rd tall and we already have Lever as well as developing Disco Turner for that role.

He’s not going to keep up with nippy smalls in a back pocket. He’s not going to man good key forwards one on one deep. And he doesn’t provide the run we need as a back flanker. 

THREE strikes Picket and he’s out. Well summarised.

Seriously the whole world knows we are dysfunctional UP FORWARD and Marty was notsuitable in our team in 2021 and previously so why waste a rookie spot on a 28 year old. 

Seems as though he would be a replacement for Kye Turner on our list. Of all possible positions for rookies we don’t need half back flankers. He would be a poor man’s replacement for Hibbo also. 

FGS get Disco into the Seniors (AFL) and get games into him and stop dreaming up ways to stall his career. If I was Disco reading this …. I would ask for an open clearance to the Crows pronto to further my career. (And we would still ask for Fogarty or Tilthorpe or Walker in return. ) just to annoy them like we were peskily chastened by their Peter Bell like trash talk. 

18 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Not every recruit needs to play in the 1s and have 30 mate. We're not assembling a fantasy team on FIFA.

Dunstan was a crucial contributor to Casey winning a flag, which benefited all of Chandler, Woewodin, JVR, Turner and Bedford (benefiting GWS), most of whom are now regulars in the 1s. 

Schache likewise - takes the best defender and kicks bags in the VFL

Casey's success is crucial to our fortunes in so many ways. A lot of people don't understand this but there is a clear correlation of the strongest VFL teams with the strongest AFL teams. 

Bit chicken or egg - but either way, seasoned experience that helps Casey is valuable. 

Not saying I love this acquisition btw as I never really thought he had the athleticism against AFL forwards. I'd rather someone who was depth but a greater capacity to impact at the top level and carve out a spot - someone like Mannagh. But appreciate he will likely go in the ND.

Bizarre, yes but not HALF as rerecruiting a previously hard to define role player at half back who had 3/4 years to grab his spot when we were developing, not consolidating or wasting a valuable rookie spot

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 58er said:

THREE strikes Picket and he’s out. Well summarised.

Seriously the whole world knows we are dysfunctional UP FORWARD and Marty was notsuitable in our team in 2021 and previously so why waste a rookie spot on a 28 year old. 

Seems as though he would be a replacement for Kye Turner on our list. Of all possible positions for rookies we don’t need half back flankers. He would be a poor man’s replacement for Hibbo also. 

FGS get Disco into the Seniors (AFL) and get games into him and stop dreaming up ways to stall his career. If I was Disco reading this …. I would ask for an open clearance to the Crows pronto to further my career. (And we would still ask for Fogarty or Tilthorpe or Walker in return. ) just to annoy them like we were peskily chastened by their Peter Bell like trash talk. 

Last para mine got mixed up somehow. 

From Bizarre on….

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Nice goal he kicked to put is in front to win by 1 point against Sun's

Exactly. 
We would’ve had a very embarrassing loss to GC in 2019 had Hore not nailed that goal from 50 with 30 seconds left.

No issues  if he’s a direct replacement for Hibberd who barely played 10-12 game last year.

• Like 1