Jump to content

Welcome Back to Demonland Marty Hore


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

If he was drafted he would have to be a pretty unique journey wouldn't he?

- VFL best and fairest in 2017 and 2018.

- Drafted 2018 as a mature age recruit (22 years old).

- Played 14 AFL games in 2019.

- No games in 2020 or 2021 (injured most of 2021 I think).

- Delisted and went back to the VFL:

--2022: playing for North Melbourne (3rd in their best and fairest, behind winner Dom Tyson for trivia buffs) and named in the VFL team of the year

--2023: playing for Williamstown, won their best and fairest and named in the VFL team of the year.

- Back on AFL list in 2024, age 28?

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


He’s one of those players who’s too good for the VFL, but the issue I have is his best footy comes as an intercepting 3rd tall and we already have Lever as well as developing Disco Turner for that role.

He’s not going to keep up with nippy smalls in a back pocket. He’s not going to man good key forwards one on one deep. And he doesn’t provide the run we need as a back flanker. 

 

  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d imagine they’d look at him predominantly as a Casey player - a bit like Dunstan was. I actually like the strategy of putting 2 or 3 quality senior guys with good habits at Casey, to bring through our new recruits. It means that the young guns get a good role model on their line, to learn from, whilst keeping Casey strong.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought it was a harsh decision to delist Hore at the start. He's been in absolutely terrific form at VFL and his numbers are through the roof.

In saying that, I would have thought a mature age ruckman would be the biggest need ahead of another half back flanker/tall defender.

I hope Will Varrell is ready next year.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he's taken as a rookie, it would add to the list of ridiculous recent acquisitions of mature aged players. Dunstan, Schache and maybe Hore. Dunstan and Schache were acquired as depth, but were never played when we had injuries.

I thought we traded picks 14, 27, 35 for pick 11, because we didn't intend to use the latter picks. Surely there's top 40 youngsters with a higher ceiling than a 28yo Marty Hore. 

As DD said, if it was a mature aged ruck, I'd understand. But we are not lacking in mid sized backmen.

  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mo64 said:

If he's taken as a rookie, it would add to the list of ridiculous recent acquisitions of mature aged players. Dunstan, Schache and maybe Hore. Dunstan and Schache were acquired as depth, but were never played when we had injuries.

I thought we traded picks 14, 27, 35 for pick 11, because we didn't intend to use the latter picks. Surely there's top 40 youngsters with a higher ceiling than a 28yo Marty Hore. 

As DD said, if it was a mature aged ruck, I'd understand. But we are not lacking in mid sized backmen.

Not every recruit needs to play in the 1s and have 30 mate. We're not assembling a fantasy team on FIFA.

Dunstan was a crucial contributor to Casey winning a flag, which benefited all of Chandler, Woewodin, JVR, Turner and Bedford (benefiting GWS), most of whom are now regulars in the 1s. 

Schache likewise - takes the best defender and kicks bags in the VFL

Casey's success is crucial to our fortunes in so many ways. A lot of people don't understand this but there is a clear correlation of the strongest VFL teams with the strongest AFL teams. 

Bit chicken or egg - but either way, seasoned experience that helps Casey is valuable. 

Not saying I love this acquisition btw as I never really thought he had the athleticism against AFL forwards. I'd rather someone who was depth but a greater capacity to impact at the top level and carve out a spot - someone like Mannagh. But appreciate he will likely go in the ND.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

I’d imagine they’d look at him predominantly as a Casey player - a bit like Dunstan was. I actually like the strategy of putting 2 or 3 quality senior guys with good habits at Casey, to bring through our new recruits. It means that the young guns get a good role model on their line, to learn from, whilst keeping Casey strong.

Spot on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


19 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He’s one of those players who’s too good for the VFL, but the issue I have is his best footy comes as an intercepting 3rd tall and we already have Lever as well as developing Disco Turner for that role.

He’s not going to keep up with nippy smalls in a back pocket. He’s not going to man good key forwards one on one deep. And he doesn’t provide the run we need as a back flanker. 

 

THREE strikes Picket and he’s out. Well summarised.

Seriously the whole world knows we are dysfunctional UP FORWARD and Marty was notsuitable in our team in 2021 and previously so why waste a rookie spot on a 28 year old. 

Seems as though he would be a replacement for Kye Turner on our list. Of all possible positions for rookies we don’t need half back flankers. He would be a poor man’s replacement for Hibbo also. 

FGS get Disco into the Seniors (AFL) and get games into him and stop dreaming up ways to stall his career. If I was Disco reading this …. I would ask for an open clearance to the Crows pronto to further my career. (And we would still ask for Fogarty or Tilthorpe or Walker in return. ) just to annoy them like we were peskily chastened by their Peter Bell like trash talk. 

18 hours ago, fr_ap said:

Not every recruit needs to play in the 1s and have 30 mate. We're not assembling a fantasy team on FIFA.

Dunstan was a crucial contributor to Casey winning a flag, which benefited all of Chandler, Woewodin, JVR, Turner and Bedford (benefiting GWS), most of whom are now regulars in the 1s. 

Schache likewise - takes the best defender and kicks bags in the VFL

Casey's success is crucial to our fortunes in so many ways. A lot of people don't understand this but there is a clear correlation of the strongest VFL teams with the strongest AFL teams. 

Bit chicken or egg - but either way, seasoned experience that helps Casey is valuable. 

Not saying I love this acquisition btw as I never really thought he had the athleticism against AFL forwards. I'd rather someone who was depth but a greater capacity to impact at the top level and carve out a spot - someone like Mannagh. But appreciate he will likely go in the ND.

Bizarre, yes but not HALF as rerecruiting a previously hard to define role player at half back who had 3/4 years to grab his spot when we were developing, not consolidating or wasting a valuable rookie spot

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 58er said:

THREE strikes Picket and he’s out. Well summarised.

Seriously the whole world knows we are dysfunctional UP FORWARD and Marty was notsuitable in our team in 2021 and previously so why waste a rookie spot on a 28 year old. 

Seems as though he would be a replacement for Kye Turner on our list. Of all possible positions for rookies we don’t need half back flankers. He would be a poor man’s replacement for Hibbo also. 

FGS get Disco into the Seniors (AFL) and get games into him and stop dreaming up ways to stall his career. If I was Disco reading this …. I would ask for an open clearance to the Crows pronto to further my career. (And we would still ask for Fogarty or Tilthorpe or Walker in return. ) just to annoy them like we were peskily chastened by their Peter Bell like trash talk. 

Last para mine got mixed up somehow. 

From Bizarre on….

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Nice goal he kicked to put is in front to win by 1 point against Sun's

 

Exactly. 
We would’ve had a very embarrassing loss to GC in 2019 had Hore not nailed that goal from 50 with 30 seconds left.

No issues  if he’s a direct replacement for Hibberd who barely played 10-12 game last year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

    The Demons head back on the road for their fifth interstate trip this season when they head up to Brisbane to take on the Lions under lights on Friday night at the Gabba. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 77

    PODCAST: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 25th June @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Kangaroos in the Round 15. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Alex Neal-Bullen, Steven May, & Jack Viney make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Kangaroos. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

    The Demons almost blew a six goal lead and ultimately hung on to win by three points over the North Melbourne Kangaroos at the MCG and have temporarily jumped back into the Top 8.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 513

    GAMEDAY: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

    It's Game Day and it very well could be the last roll of the dice for the Demon's finals aspirations in 2024. A loss to the bottom side would be another embarrassing moment in a cursed year for the Dees whilst a win could be the spark they need to reignite the fire in the belly.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 709

    THE HUNTER by The Oracle

    Something struck me as I sat on the couch watching the tragedy of North Melbourne’s attempt to beat Collingwood unfold on Sunday afternoon at the MCG.    It was three quarter time, the scoreboard had the Pies on 12.7.79, a respectable 63.16% in terms of goal kicking ratio. Meanwhile, the Roos’ 18.2.110 was off the charts at 90.00% shooting accuracy. I was thinking at the same time of Melbourne’s final score only six days before, a woeful 6.15.51 or 28.57% against Collingwood’s 14.5.89

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 8

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Who would have thought?    Collingwood had a depleted side with several star players out injured, Max Gawn was in stellar form, Christian Petracca at the top of his game and Simon Goodwin was about to pull off a masterstroke in setting Alex Neal-Bullen onto him to do a fantastic job in subduing the Magpies' best player. Goody had his charges primed to respond robustly to the challenge of turning around their disappointing performance against Fremantle in Alice Springs. And if not that, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 7

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons won their first game at home this year in the traditional King’s Birthday Weekend clash with Collingwood VFL on Sunday in a dramatic turnaround on recent form that breathed new life into the beleaguered club’s season. The Demons led from the start to record a 52-point victory. It was their highest score and biggest winning margin by far for the 2024 season. Under cloudy but calm conditions for Casey Fields, the home side, wearing the old Springvale guernsey as a mark of res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

    After two disappointing back to back losses the Demons have the bye in Round 14 and then face perennial cellar dweller North Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday night in Round 15. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 509
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...