Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome Back to Demonland Marty Hore

dazzledavey36

I'm surprised by this. Would have thought there were some more urgent areas for depth firstly rucks and then midfield which has lost some important depth. Just shows you how focused our gameplan and list management is on the backline. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I'm sure he would be happy just to have a contract at this point.

I wouldn’t be sure of that. Rookie minimum pay is still pretty good but Marty’s had plenty of time grinding it in the VFL and was reportedly due to head back to the farm.

I think we’d have to make a case to why he’d be in line to play. With Petty forward and potentially Riv or Salem in the midfield mix that certainly opens up opportunities. Our backline depth is Turner, Howes and then nothing. The selling point for Hore would be he’s either best 22 or really close. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SthSea22 said:

Don't think he is AFL material tbh

Is he happy to play at Casey? 

I think he now has 3 VFL best and fairest awards, and a third place finish, in his last 4 seasons at VFL level.

So he'd be a welcome addition to Casey in terms of quality and he would - at the least - threaten AFL selection. With the departure of Hibberd, Jordan, Dunstan and Harmes, we have lost some of the depth that drives standards and potentially fills gaps.

40 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I wouldn’t be sure of that. Rookie minimum pay is still pretty good but Marty’s had plenty of time grinding it in the VFL and was reportedly due to head back to the farm.

I think we’d have to make a case to why he’d be in line to play. With Petty forward and potentially Riv or Salem in the midfield mix that certainly opens up opportunities. Our backline depth is Turner, Howes and then nothing. The selling point for Hore would be he’s either best 22 or really close. 

I agree we need to make the case. But I suspect the case is pretty easy. $90k plus match payments is better than VFL payments. Plus a second life line to for an AFL career at a probable finalist is one last change to roll the dice on the dream, that was taken away by an ACL, a broken collarbone and a quad the first time.

He played 14 games in his first AFL season. Combined with consistently being the best player in his VFL team I reckon he would back himself in to be AFL capable and live that dream. And if he didn't, we wouldn't really want him on the list anyway.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think that's right, our backline depth is Turner and Howes but Hore is a similar type to them.

• Like 2

So that's our list sorted then? 2 first round picks, Kynan Brown last pick and Hore rookie or sup list.

This is the perfect opportunity to do a best 44.

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, Bowey

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Salem, Sparrow, McAdam, Billings

SUB: Chandler

Casey

B: Hore, D.Turner, Adams

HB: Howes, Schache, Leake (possible pick 11)

C: Woewodin, Laurie, Chandler

HF: Spargo, McDonald, Melksham

F: Smith, B. Brown, Jefferson

FOLL: Fullerton, Sanders (possible pick 6), K.Brown

IC: Verrall, Farris-White, Moniz-Wakefield, Sestan 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

So that's our list sorted then? 2 first round picks, Kynan Brown last pick and Hore rookie or sup list.

This is the perfect opportunity to do a best 44.

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, Bowey

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Salem, Sparrow, McAdam, Billings

SUB: Chandler

Casey

B: Hore, D.Turner, Adams

HB: Howes, Schache, Leake (possible pick 11)

C: Woewodin, Laurie, Chandler

HF: Spargo, McDonald, Melksham

F: Smith, B. Brown, Jefferson

FOLL: Fullerton, Sanders (possible pick 6), K.Brown

IC: Verrall, Farris-White, Moniz-Wakefield, Sestan 

Sincerely hope our #6 pick is in our best 22.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Exactly. 
We would’ve had a very embarrassing loss to GC in 2019 had Hore not nailed that goal from 50 with 30 seconds left.

No issues  if he’s a direct replacement for Hibberd who barely played 10-12 game last year.

I repeat how if you were Disco Turner would you feel with another person 5/6 years older and preventing your career from progressing. I would feel rather disheartened and wonder what in the hell the Club is playing at. 

We need skilful and classy forwards to win games not a 28 yo has been back flanker who was never up yo it 3/4 years ago.

Waste of a list spot and regressive move with no real thought of how valuable a player who can win us games is to our chances. Be surprised if he plays more than 3 games and if he does we are in trouble down back. 

Let’s bring back other failures who never made it like Kent, Peter Johnson and that back pocket No 3 who I can’t even think of his name. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Classic example Werridee of Hore keeping out Moniz Wakefield of getting game time and improving his senior chances. 

Disgraceful negative regressive decision. If he was a forward I could understand but a half back? Really!!! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Not everyone on your list improves it but you need coverage 

How much coverage for half back ? and if it doesn’t make your list better and you could choose another more skilful player it’s not improving your chances of winning a flag. 

Perhaps we should be going after Wingard he knows how to kick a goal or two. Oh and he is available for about 5/6 games this year after recovery from his ACL injury.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

13 minutes ago, 58er said:

I repeat how if you were Disco Turner would you feel with another person 5/6 years older and preventing your career from progressing. I would feel rather disheartened and wonder what in the hell the Club is playing at. 

We need skilful and classy forwards to win games not a 28 yo has been back flanker who was never up yo it 3/4 years ago.

Waste of a list spot and regressive move with no real thought of how valuable a player who can win us games is to our chances. Be surprised if he plays more than 3 games and if he does we are in trouble down back. 

Let’s bring back other failures who never made it like Kent, Peter Johnson and that back pocket No 3 who I can’t even think of his name. 

If I was Disco Turner and my spot was taken by a 28 year old mature age recruit from the VFL I'd probably have a good hard look at myself and wonder whether I had what it took to make it at AFL level.

We aren't recruiting Darcy Moore to take his spot..we are adding Marty Hire to the list.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, deanox said:

If I was Disco Turner and my spot was taken by a 28 year old mature age recruit from the VFL I'd probably have a good hard look at myself and wonder whether I had what it took to make it at AFL level.

We aren't recruiting Darcy Moore to take his spot..we are adding Marty Hire to the list.

Yes. It the thinking is warped in recruiting Marty as Disco is 5 years younger and we have enough HB flankers already. Disco is an interceptor in the same mould and already has been vastly underplayed by Goody. Tommo is more valuable on the bigger beasts but Disco can handle IMO the evidence of the Swans game mids and perhaps smalls and use his marking and skills to compete on the ground. 

Marty Hore never displayed that versatility and at 28 won’t gain it now Evidence of form in the VFL at Willie is no proof to me he has improved for the AFL opportunity. A waste of a player on our list as was Kye Turner. Again their list spot is a possible and unnecessary distraction and prevention of Disco’s development, and of the teams depth in defence. 

Of course Hore could be another Dunstan and not be played in the AFL. Such an irony surely won’t be practiced again? 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I've got nothing against Marty Hore, but we rookie listed an unsung Judd McVee 2 years ago, and now he's best 22. It makes no sense bringing back a 28yo to bolster our Casey team. Why aren't we trying to unearth the next Judd McVee, are even better, Mitch Lewis or Nick Larkey, who were both drafted very late?

So far we've traded for McAdam (28), Billings (27) and Fullarton (24). We don't need depth players like Hore in that age bracket. Where's the next crop of young talent coming from? 

The age profile of our list has gone from near perfect in 2021, to totally imbalanced in 2024. And that's on the List Management, with our constant topping up of NQR mature aged players over the past 2 years.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I've got nothing against Marty Hore, but we rookie listed an unsung Judd McVee 2 years ago, and now he's best 22. It makes no sense bringing back a 28yo to bolster our Casey team. Why aren't we trying to unearth the next Judd McVee, are even better, Mitch Lewis or Nick Larkey, who were both drafted very late?

So far we've traded for McAdam (28), Billings (27) and Fullarton (24). We don't need depth players like Hore in that age bracket. Where's the next crop of young talent coming from? 

The age profile of our list has gone from near perfect in 2021, to totally imbalanced in 2024. And that's on the List Management, with our constant topping up of NQR mature aged players over the past 2 years.

I am happy with our 3 trades but Hore does  not have their potential nor in Fullarton’s case 24 yo potential as a ruck/ forward option, 

• Like 1

Just now, 58er said:

I am happy with our 3 trades but Hore does  not have their potential nor in Fullarton’s case 24 yo potential as a ruck/ forward option, 

Potential should be listed as experience in Shane and Jack Billing’s case. 

• Like 1

I don't mind Hore coming back to the fold we have no experienced depth in the backline and that's what he is. His form at VFL level has been outstanding.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, 58er said:

I've got no issue with McAdam and Fullarton because they address a need. My feelings on Billings is the same as I had for Hunter. Both are extremely talented at their peak, but both players were discarded by their former clubs for a reason.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Classic example Werridee of Hore keeping out Moniz Wakefield of getting game time and improving his senior chances. 

Disgraceful negative regressive decision. If he was a forward I could understand but a half back? Really!!! 

Moniz-Wakefield will get game time due to Melksham being injured don't see a problem with recruiting Hore.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 14:21, Diamond_Jim said:

Another salary cap play as far as I read it. Assume it is just a one year deal but with Brown, McDonald and Melksham all likely to leave at the end of 2024 we certainly have a lot of spare salary cap for something

My guess? Darcy.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

I thought we were past the days of drafting saviours?

Yes, yes, I know it’s not what you said, but I wouldn’t view it a fail if a pick 6 isn’t a lock for the 22 of a perennial finals side in his first year.

• Like 3