Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Welcome Back to Demonland Marty Hore


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

I'm surprised by this. Would have thought there were some more urgent areas for depth firstly rucks and then midfield which has lost some important depth. Just shows you how focused our gameplan and list management is on the backline. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I'm sure he would be happy just to have a contract at this point.

I wouldn’t be sure of that. Rookie minimum pay is still pretty good but Marty’s had plenty of time grinding it in the VFL and was reportedly due to head back to the farm.

I think we’d have to make a case to why he’d be in line to play. With Petty forward and potentially Riv or Salem in the midfield mix that certainly opens up opportunities. Our backline depth is Turner, Howes and then nothing. The selling point for Hore would be he’s either best 22 or really close. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SthSea22 said:

Don't think he is AFL material tbh

Is he happy to play at Casey? 

I think he now has 3 VFL best and fairest awards, and a third place finish, in his last 4 seasons at VFL level.

So he'd be a welcome addition to Casey in terms of quality and he would - at the least - threaten AFL selection. With the departure of Hibberd, Jordan, Dunstan and Harmes, we have lost some of the depth that drives standards and potentially fills gaps.

 

40 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I wouldn’t be sure of that. Rookie minimum pay is still pretty good but Marty’s had plenty of time grinding it in the VFL and was reportedly due to head back to the farm.

I think we’d have to make a case to why he’d be in line to play. With Petty forward and potentially Riv or Salem in the midfield mix that certainly opens up opportunities. Our backline depth is Turner, Howes and then nothing. The selling point for Hore would be he’s either best 22 or really close. 

 

I agree we need to make the case. But I suspect the case is pretty easy. $90k plus match payments is better than VFL payments. Plus a second life line to for an AFL career at a probable finalist is one last change to roll the dice on the dream, that was taken away by an ACL, a broken collarbone and a quad the first time.

He played 14 games in his first AFL season. Combined with consistently being the best player in his VFL team I reckon he would back himself in to be AFL capable and live that dream. And if he didn't, we wouldn't really want him on the list anyway.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I wouldn’t be sure of that. Rookie minimum pay is still pretty good but Marty’s had plenty of time grinding it in the VFL and was reportedly due to head back to the farm.

I think we’d have to make a case to why he’d be in line to play. With Petty forward and potentially Riv or Salem in the midfield mix that certainly opens up opportunities. Our backline depth is Turner, Howes and then nothing. The selling point for Hore would be he’s either best 22 or really close. 

I think that's right, our backline depth is Turner and Howes but Hore is a similar type to them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


So that's our list sorted then? 2 first round picks, Kynan Brown last pick and Hore rookie or sup list.

This is the perfect opportunity to do a best 44.

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, Bowey

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Salem, Sparrow, McAdam, Billings

SUB: Chandler

 

Casey

B: Hore, D.Turner, Adams

HB: Howes, Schache, Leake (possible pick 11)

C: Woewodin, Laurie, Chandler

HF: Spargo, McDonald, Melksham

F: Smith, B. Brown, Jefferson

FOLL: Fullerton, Sanders (possible pick 6), K.Brown

IC: Verrall, Farris-White, Moniz-Wakefield, Sestan 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

So that's our list sorted then? 2 first round picks, Kynan Brown last pick and Hore rookie or sup list.

This is the perfect opportunity to do a best 44.

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, Tomlinson, Bowey

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Salem, Sparrow, McAdam, Billings

SUB: Chandler

 

Casey

B: Hore, D.Turner, Adams

HB: Howes, Schache, Leake (possible pick 11)

C: Woewodin, Laurie, Chandler

HF: Spargo, McDonald, Melksham

F: Smith, B. Brown, Jefferson

FOLL: Fullerton, Sanders (possible pick 6), K.Brown

IC: Verrall, Farris-White, Moniz-Wakefield, Sestan 

Sincerely hope our #6 pick is in our best 22.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Exactly. 
We would’ve had a very embarrassing loss to GC in 2019 had Hore not nailed that goal from 50 with 30 seconds left.

No issues  if he’s a direct replacement for Hibberd who barely played 10-12 game last year.

I repeat how if you were Disco Turner would you feel with another person 5/6 years older and preventing your career from progressing. I would feel rather disheartened and wonder what in the hell the Club is playing at. 

We need skilful and classy forwards to win games not a 28 yo has been back flanker who was never up yo it 3/4 years ago.

Waste of a list spot and regressive move with no real thought of how valuable a player who can win us games is to our chances. Be surprised if he plays more than 3 games and if he does we are in trouble down back. 

Let’s bring back other failures who never made it like Kent, Peter Johnson and that back pocket No 3 who I can’t even think of his name. 

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Sincerely hope our #6 pick is in our best 22.

Classic example Werridee of Hore keeping out Moniz Wakefield of getting game time and improving his senior chances. 

Disgraceful negative regressive decision. If he was a forward I could understand but a half back? Really!!! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Not everyone on your list improves it but you need coverage 

How much coverage for half back ? and if it doesn’t make your list better and you could choose another more skilful player it’s not improving your chances of winning a flag. 

Perhaps we should be going after Wingard he knows how to kick a goal or two. Oh and he is available for about 5/6 games this year after recovery from his ACL injury.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 58er said:

I repeat how if you were Disco Turner would you feel with another person 5/6 years older and preventing your career from progressing. I would feel rather disheartened and wonder what in the hell the Club is playing at. 

We need skilful and classy forwards to win games not a 28 yo has been back flanker who was never up yo it 3/4 years ago.

Waste of a list spot and regressive move with no real thought of how valuable a player who can win us games is to our chances. Be surprised if he plays more than 3 games and if he does we are in trouble down back. 

Let’s bring back other failures who never made it like Kent, Peter Johnson and that back pocket No 3 who I can’t even think of his name. 

If I was Disco Turner and my spot was taken by a 28 year old mature age recruit from the VFL I'd probably have a good hard look at myself and wonder whether I had what it took to make it at AFL level.

We aren't recruiting Darcy Moore to take his spot..we are adding Marty Hire to the list.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, deanox said:

If I was Disco Turner and my spot was taken by a 28 year old mature age recruit from the VFL I'd probably have a good hard look at myself and wonder whether I had what it took to make it at AFL level.

We aren't recruiting Darcy Moore to take his spot..we are adding Marty Hire to the list.

Yes. It the thinking is warped in recruiting Marty as Disco is 5 years younger and we have enough HB flankers already. Disco is an interceptor in the same mould and already has been vastly underplayed by Goody. Tommo is more valuable on the bigger beasts but Disco can handle IMO the evidence of the Swans game mids and perhaps smalls and use his marking and skills to compete on the ground. 

Marty Hore never displayed that versatility and at 28 won’t gain it now Evidence of form in the VFL at Willie is no proof to me he has improved for the AFL opportunity. A waste of a player on our list as was Kye Turner. Again their list spot is a possible and unnecessary distraction and prevention of Disco’s development, and of the teams depth in defence. 

Of course Hore could be another Dunstan and not be played in the AFL. Such an irony surely won’t be practiced again? 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got nothing against Marty Hore, but we rookie listed an unsung Judd McVee 2 years ago, and now he's best 22. It makes no sense bringing back a 28yo to bolster our Casey team. Why aren't we trying to unearth the next Judd McVee, are even better, Mitch Lewis or Nick Larkey, who were both drafted very late?

So far we've traded for McAdam (28), Billings (27) and Fullarton (24). We don't need depth players like Hore in that age bracket. Where's the next crop of young talent coming from? 

The age profile of our list has gone from near perfect in 2021, to totally imbalanced in 2024. And that's on the List Management, with our constant topping up of NQR mature aged players over the past 2 years.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I've got nothing against Marty Hore, but we rookie listed an unsung Judd McVee 2 years ago, and now he's best 22. It makes no sense bringing back a 28yo to bolster our Casey team. Why aren't we trying to unearth the next Judd McVee, are even better, Mitch Lewis or Nick Larkey, who were both drafted very late?

So far we've traded for McAdam (28), Billings (27) and Fullarton (24). We don't need depth players like Hore in that age bracket. Where's the next crop of young talent coming from? 

The age profile of our list has gone from near perfect in 2021, to totally imbalanced in 2024. And that's on the List Management, with our constant topping up of NQR mature aged players over the past 2 years.

 

 

I am happy with our 3 trades but Hore does  not have their potential nor in Fullarton’s case 24 yo potential as a ruck/ forward option, 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 58er said:

I am happy with our 3 trades but Hore does  not have their potential nor in Fullarton’s case 24 yo potential as a ruck/ forward option, 

Potential should be listed as experience in Shane and Jack Billing’s case. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind Hore coming back to the fold we have no experienced depth in the backline and that's what he is. His form at VFL level has been outstanding.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, 58er said:

I am happy with our 3 trades but Hore does  not have their potential nor in Fullarton’s case 24 yo potential as a ruck/ forward option, 

I've got no issue with McAdam and Fullarton because they address a need. My feelings on Billings is the same as I had for Hunter. Both are extremely talented at their peak, but both players were discarded by their former clubs for a reason.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Classic example Werridee of Hore keeping out Moniz Wakefield of getting game time and improving his senior chances. 

Disgraceful negative regressive decision. If he was a forward I could understand but a half back? Really!!! 

Moniz-Wakefield will get game time due to Melksham being injured don't see a problem with recruiting Hore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/11/2023 at 14:21, Diamond_Jim said:

Another salary cap play as far as I read it. Assume it is just a one year deal but with Brown, McDonald and Melksham all likely to leave at the end of 2024 we certainly have a lot of spare salary cap for something


My guess? Darcy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

Sincerely hope our #6 pick is in our best 22.


I thought we were past the days of drafting saviours?

Yes, yes, I know it’s not what you said, but I wouldn’t view it a fail if a pick 6 isn’t a lock for the 22 of a perennial finals side in his first year.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Opening Round vs Sydney

    The Demons head up to Sydney to open the 2024 AFL Season against the Swans at the SCG. Who will debut for the Dees? Will Clarry be recalled to the team?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 158

    PODCAST: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Thursday, 29th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Practice Match victory over the Blues at Ikon Park. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 66

    POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demons had total control of the practice match against the Blues taking out the honours and running out victors by 38 points at Ikon Park.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 270

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 308

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...