Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.



dee-tox

Recommended Posts

On 9/18/2023 at 12:09 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

 

It’s a bit bleeding obvious. I’m not too worried given what Geelong managed to achieve with their list of 34+ old players.

Well lose Gawn and May first in 2-3 years time, but our core group will be in place for at least another 5 years. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

The same experts that have now lost four consecutive winnable finals and didn't park the bus when leading with 3 minutes to go.

Unforgivable.

We can't get over the Pies when they have a small lead from 5 to 10 minutes out at the end of our matches against them lately.

They park the bus early and defend to the death.

I have a suggestion... why don't you go coach them next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2023 at 11:15 AM, Neil Crompton said:

2 days a week, for 6 months of extra field and goal kicking practice for everyone.

We talk about having generational players in our team, but i'm sorry, you cannot be generational if you cannot hit a target. 

 

With a wet ball!!!! 
be way easier when it’s dry then!….and easier when it’s wet or dew covered as it’s normal 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2023 at 2:19 PM, Binmans PA said:

Somehow O'Sullivan, Watson and Naughton or Lynch.

Forwardline then looks like:

ANB Naughton/Lynch Fritta

Kozzy Petty Watson

With JVR, McAdam, Spargo, Chandler and Trac resting.

Backline looks like:

McVee May (Tomlinson lockdown role) Lever 

Salem O'Sullivan Bowey

With stints from Rivers when not running through the midfield and Howes.

We need more elite talent in the forward half that turn half chances into goals and can convert the contest wins from further up the ground and players like Petty who can draw the ball on the lead.

An elite ball user in the midfield will be nice, but not a priority. We need better forward half players and a defensive tall that will allow Lever and May to play to their strengths. We have the 1st or 2nd best contest team in the league in the midfield, so it's about being able to maximise our midfield dominance inside 50.

100%. Papley. Naughton. Hawkins even. Anyone. Time is now. Get it done. Dreamin

  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My positive thinking and hopes for season 2024:

(clearly not all possible but what I'd love to see) 

Experienced assistant midfield and forwards coach. As good as Stafford and Yze have been, I think it's time for evolution/change. Everyone can see it. I think Goodwin needs to be seriously challenged about aspects of our game and if we got some stronger personalities around the club I think it would also lift the playing group and breathe new life into the group. 

I think Ratten and Dew could be targets. I'm not sure on the status of Don Pyke, but he transformed the swans attacking game and I think we need someone of that ilk to come in and add some layers to Goodwin's defence and contest based borefest. I think the players would benefit from that as much as our game-plan would. Can you imagine going into another gruelling pre-season hearing Goodwin drive home the same message he has for three years? It would be so uninspiring and it just can't happen. Our players were bored enough in season during games, switching off for periods only to 'get going' when the game was on the line. Our method and game-plan message and implementation is so much more than what people think. God, even our supporters switch off at games because of the robotic and boring nature we play. It's time for change. It has a flow-on effect. I know the 'pro-Goodwin borefest' posters on here will think I don't take enough of a 'nuanced view' to really understand how 'rock solid' out game plan is. But when you have past players like Jordan Lewis come out and criticise our forward-half game, you know it's not only supporters that believe change is needed. 

Now I agree that a lot of our game is in great working order. But the area that is broken has lost us so many games that we 'should have won' of the last few years it's genuinely nauseating. 

Over the off-season, I'd like to see one Salem trialled at half-forward or wing. I want Salem to have a pre-season like Petracca and Oliver and lose some kg's so that he at least has the same running capacity as Trac. 

I want us to do everything in our power to draft McKertcher and give him a Nick Daicos quarter back role in his first year. He has already has a better tank than Salem and has better vision, ball use and speed than both of them. 

Our second pick should be on Nick Watson who plays a specialist forward pocket role in his first year with Kosi getting more midfield time. Simply put, with the sheer amount of inside 50's we get a game, we need more opportunistic, classy and great finishing forwards. Watson ticks every box. His height is irrelevant. He brings crazy energy, is a finisher and uses the ball unbelievably well. 

A mature forward who can take tuck contests is a must in my view and we have the money to throw at a player. I like the Tom Lynch call although I'd do anything to get Naughton. Regardless of his kicking. The amount of contests he hits tht result in spill ball is of value enough. There's no one like him in that regard and given our inside 50 effeciency will never be perfect, we need forwards who will consistently bring ball to ground and/or mark the ball when they have no right to. Naughton is that to a T. 

I'd also bring in a mature ruck and start managing Max throughout the year. Take your pick of Fullarton or Flynn. And I'd trial both over pre-season with Max playing behind the ball rather than going forward at times his on the ground. 

Watson       Naughton      Fritsch 

 ANB              Petty            McAdam

Salem            Oliver          Langdon

McKertcher    Lever         Rivers

Turner            May           McVee

 

Gawn            Petracca       Kosi

 

Interchange:  Fullarton  Viney  Bowey  Sparrow

 

*Brayshaw in the wings when ready to return. 

 

That side to me already looks more balanced. I think JVR still needs time to develop. He wasn't playing anywhere near the level required for the last quarter of the season. It breathes new life all over the ground. I think the Kosi, McKertcher and Salem positions will be a boost as far as ball movement goes and that's without the instructional change that will come over pre-season. 

Someone like Naughton in our forwardline would be game changing and with Watson we only gain another kosi but with more consistency imv. He has runs on the board. 

Edited by JimmyGadson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

My positive thinking and hopes for season 2024:

(clearly not all possible but what I'd love to see) 

Experienced assistant midfield and forwards coach. As good as Stafford and Yze have been, I think it's time for evolution/change. Everyone can see it. I think Goodwin needs to be seriously challenged about aspects of our game and if we got some stronger personalities around the club I think it would also lift the playing group and breathe new life into the group. 

I think Ratten and Dew could be targets. I'm not sure on the status of Don Pyke, but he transformed the swans attacking game and I think we need someone of that ilk to come in and add some layers to Goodwin's defence and contest based borefest. I think the players would benefit from that as much as our game-plan would. Can you imagine going into another gruelling pre-season hearing Goodwin drive home the same message he has for three years? It would be so uninspiring and it just can't happen. Our players were bored enough in season during games, switching off for periods only to 'get going' when the game was on the line. Our method and game-plan message and implementation is so much more than what people think. God, even our supporters switch off at games because of the robotic and boring nature we play. It's time for change. It has a flow-on effect. I know the 'pro-Goodwin borefest' posters on here will think I don't take enough of a 'nuanced view' to really understand how 'rock solid' out game plan is. But when you have past players like Jordan Lewis come out and criticise our forward-half game, you know it's not only supporters that believe change is needed. 

Now I agree that a lot of our game is in great working order. But the area that is broken has lost us so many games that we 'should have won' of the last few years it's genuinely nauseating. 

Over the off-season, I'd like to see one Salem trialled at half-forward or wing. I want Salem to have a pre-season like Petracca and Oliver and lose some kg's so that he at least has the same running capacity as Trac. 

I want us to do everything in our power to draft McKertcher and give him a Nick Daicos quarter back role in his first year. He has already has a better tank than Salem and has better vision, ball use and speed than both of them. 

Our second pick should be on Nick Watson who plays a specialist forward pocket role in his first year with Kosi getting more midfield time. Simply put, with the sheer amount of inside 50's we get a game, we need more opportunistic, classy and great finishing forwards. Watson ticks every box. His height is irrelevant. He brings crazy energy, is a finisher and uses the ball unbelievably well. 

A mature forward who can take tuck contests is a must in my view and we have the money to throw at a player. I like the Tom Lynch call although I'd do anything to get Naughton. Regardless of his kicking. The amount of contests he hits tht result in spill ball is of value enough. There's no one like him in that regard and given our inside 50 effeciency will never be perfect, we need forwards who will consistently bring ball to ground and/or mark the ball when they have no right to. Naughton is that to a T. 

I'd also bring in a mature ruck and start managing Max throughout the year. Take your pick of Fullarton or Flynn. And I'd trial both over pre-season with Max playing behind the ball rather than going forward at times his on the ground. 

Watson       Naughton      Fritsch 

 ANB              Petty            McAdam

Salem            Oliver          Langdon

McKertcher    Lever         Rivers

Tomlinson       May           McVee

 

Gawn            Petracca       Kosi

 

Interchange:  Fullarton  Viney  Bowey  Sparrow

 

That side to me already looks more balanced. I think JVR still needs time to develop. He wasn't playing anywhere near the level required for the last quarter of the season. It breathes new life all over the ground. I think the Kosi, McKertcher and Salem positions will be a boost as far as ball movement goes and that's without the instructional change that will come over pre-season. 

Someone like Naughton in our forwardline would be game changing and with Watson we only gain another kosi but with more consistency imv. He has runs on the board. 


Even if you could shake him out of Footscray, Naughton would cost our pick 5 at a minimum so there’s any chance to draft McKercher gone. 

Nick Watson also won’t then be available at our next pick - 13. 

This is the drawback of ‘Godfather’ offers for contracted gun 23 - 27 yo key forwards. You compromise the future by burning early draft picks. 

Edited by BaliDemon
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:


Even if you could shake him out of Footscray, Naughton would cost our pick 5 at a minimum so there’s any chance to draft McKercher gone. 

True. Well, I'd be willing to give up a player to get some more draft capital. I think we're at that point. 

It'll be interesting to see how far we can move up the order given our hand but also what we'll receive from Harmes, Jordan, Grundy. 

I get the sense we'll be hitting the top 10 hard but also trying to lure a mature key forward out.

Its not out of the realm to offer next year's first and say pick 10 and a swap of later picks for Naughton is it? 

 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


26 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

True. Well, I'd be willing to give up a player to get some more draft capital. I think we're at that point. 

It'll be interesting to see how far we can move up the order given our hand but also what we'll receive from Harmes, Jordan, Grundy. 

I get the sense we'll be hitting the top 10 hard but also trying to lure a mature key forward out.

Its not out of the realm to offer next year's first and say pick 10 and a swap of later picks for Naughton is it? 

 


Possibly. I think a lot of us are on the same page about having a crack at a mature age key forward. It’s just a matter of who’s available and how much we’re prepared to compromise adding quality kids to the list. We likely won’t get a draft hand like this again for quite a few years so it’s critical we get the balance right. Personally I’d like to see us bring in two mature agers (McAdam & say Tom Lynch) and two kids from the top 10 in the draft, plus a back up ruckman. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BaliDemon said:


Possibly. I think a lot of us are on the same page about having a crack at a mature age key forward. It’s just a matter of who’s available and how much we’re prepared to compromise adding quality kids to the list. We likely won’t get a draft hand like this again for quite a few years so it’s critical we get the balance right. Personally I’d like to see us bring in two mature agers (McAdam & say Tom Lynch) and two kids from the top 10 in the draft, plus a back up ruckman. 

All this  should have happened last year and we chose Grundy

Hmmmmmmmm??

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

All this  should have happened last year and we chose Grundy

Hmmmmmmmm??

Is it even possible to get a Lynch or Naughton and maintain two top 10 draft picks?

I know it sounds like a dream scenario, but I have a feeling that the moment we try to take a player of that calibre...bye bye at least one of our top 10 draft picks.

Best case scenario, we give pick 4 or 5 from this year plus a future first. Then we take Lynch/Naughton and pick 4 or 5 to the draft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

My positive thinking and hopes for season 2024:

(clearly not all possible but what I'd love to see) 

Experienced assistant midfield and forwards coach. As good as Stafford and Yze have been, I think it's time for evolution/change. Everyone can see it. I think Goodwin needs to be seriously challenged about aspects of our game and if we got some stronger personalities around the club I think it would also lift the playing group and breathe new life into the group. 

I think Ratten and Dew could be targets. I'm not sure on the status of Don Pyke, but he transformed the swans attacking game and I think we need someone of that ilk to come in and add some layers to Goodwin's defence and contest based borefest. I think the players would benefit from that as much as our game-plan would. Can you imagine going into another gruelling pre-season hearing Goodwin drive home the same message he has for three years? It would be so uninspiring and it just can't happen. Our players were bored enough in season during games, switching off for periods only to 'get going' when the game was on the line. Our method and game-plan message and implementation is so much more than what people think. God, even our supporters switch off at games because of the robotic and boring nature we play. It's time for change. It has a flow-on effect. I know the 'pro-Goodwin borefest' posters on here will think I don't take enough of a 'nuanced view' to really understand how 'rock solid' out game plan is. But when you have past players like Jordan Lewis come out and criticise our forward-half game, you know it's not only supporters that believe change is needed. 

Now I agree that a lot of our game is in great working order. But the area that is broken has lost us so many games that we 'should have won' of the last few years it's genuinely nauseating. 

Over the off-season, I'd like to see one Salem trialled at half-forward or wing. I want Salem to have a pre-season like Petracca and Oliver and lose some kg's so that he at least has the same running capacity as Trac. 

I want us to do everything in our power to draft McKertcher and give him a Nick Daicos quarter back role in his first year. He has already has a better tank than Salem and has better vision, ball use and speed than both of them. 

Our second pick should be on Nick Watson who plays a specialist forward pocket role in his first year with Kosi getting more midfield time. Simply put, with the sheer amount of inside 50's we get a game, we need more opportunistic, classy and great finishing forwards. Watson ticks every box. His height is irrelevant. He brings crazy energy, is a finisher and uses the ball unbelievably well. 

A mature forward who can take tuck contests is a must in my view and we have the money to throw at a player. I like the Tom Lynch call although I'd do anything to get Naughton. Regardless of his kicking. The amount of contests he hits tht result in spill ball is of value enough. There's no one like him in that regard and given our inside 50 effeciency will never be perfect, we need forwards who will consistently bring ball to ground and/or mark the ball when they have no right to. Naughton is that to a T. 

I'd also bring in a mature ruck and start managing Max throughout the year. Take your pick of Fullarton or Flynn. And I'd trial both over pre-season with Max playing behind the ball rather than going forward at times his on the ground. 

Watson       Naughton      Fritsch 

 ANB              Petty            McAdam

Salem            Oliver          Langdon

McKertcher    Lever         Rivers

Turner            May           McVee

 

Gawn            Petracca       Kosi

 

Interchange:  Fullarton  Viney  Bowey  Sparrow

 

*Brayshaw in the wings when ready to return. 

 

That side to me already looks more balanced. I think JVR still needs time to develop. He wasn't playing anywhere near the level required for the last quarter of the season. It breathes new life all over the ground. I think the Kosi, McKertcher and Salem positions will be a boost as far as ball movement goes and that's without the instructional change that will come over pre-season. 

Someone like Naughton in our forwardline would be game changing and with Watson we only gain another kosi but with more consistency imv. He has runs on the board. 

We're almost on the same page finally, but I'd prefer O'Sullivan as the second tall as opposed to an undesized Turner, who should be the understudy to Lever with his intercept play.

Our forward half, which I believe needs the biggest improvement, we're pretty much in agreement on.

I'd be looking to do something different with the 7th defender. So instead of playing B7-M8-F7, I'd be trying to play a third winger (B6-W1-M8-F7). So probably Hunter, Langdon and ANB from W1 and M8. Which means abandoning the loose intercepting / attacking half back that Gus played last year (less attacking) and Rivers played this year (more attacking).

But instead, I'd be allowing two of our running backs more licence up the ground to run and carry (say Rivers and Bowey or maybe even McVee), use two of the wingers as defensive wing backs to slot in behind them and cover space or their men (and play as interceptors or 1v1s, ensuring the ball comes to ground), and give the attacking players more licence to try and hit central kicks through the corridor to higher mids or forwards in Trac, Fritta and McAdam pushing higher up the ground. This is with the knowledge we'd have extras behind the ball (at least two wingers) to repel a turnover attack.

It's basically utilising a similar set up to Klopp at Liverpool, but with more players. It would take great coaching and discipline from our players, but I think so much football/soccer strategy has been adopted by the AFL in the last decade, that it's only going to continue. 

Goody has also been an innovator over the journey with the inside slider, the diamond defence, the extras at the stoppage, then the deficit at the stoppage, the focus on post stoppage pressure and so on.

We have to find intricate ways to maintain our defensive positioning and impregnability, whilst being able to play fast and contested. This is one way.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bing181 said:

We weren't to know that BBB and Tommy Mac would be permanently injured/fall off a cliff in terms of form, but we also put time into Smith as a forward. And we did bring in Schache. But then what KPF's were available? 

Didn't Larkey sign during this year?

We just had the wrong plan unfortunately. Petty was training with the Forwards during pre season if my memory serves me correctly.

So i think the brains trust didn't think it was a requirement, but looking back in hindsight it was exactly what we needed.

The Gawndy combo was a bust but we're just lucky we might get a high pick than the one we outlayed initially in pick 27.

 

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this stage it seems we have:

  • complete control of the draft
  • a new rule to have 25 players on the ground
  • a millions $ for Lynch (who is more than mature)
  • Naughton who is suddenly going to consistently take marks AND is going to 100% cure his goal kicking  plus would cost the Southern Stand if we were silly enough to take him.
  • that Van Royen is a spud and Petty has retired

 The simple solution is ...........

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, dimmy said:

At this stage it seems we have:

  • complete control of the draft
  • a new rule to have 25 players on the ground
  • a millions $ for Lynch (who is more than mature)
  • Naughton who is suddenly going to consistently take marks AND is going to 100% cure his goal kicking  plus would cost the Southern Stand if we were silly enough to take him.
  • that Van Royen is a spud and Petty has retired

 The simple solution is ...........

It’s not that bad Dimmy but I understand where you are coming from, I’m sure the feelers are out to try and improve our list but you have player and club to deal with. Soon as you show interest the price goes up and the spoilers go to town. I have my thoughts but am happy for JT, TL and the coaching group to work on filling the gaps that opened up in our ranks over the past 6 months. Grundy was a bust, we have contracted players that I would like to see retire but can you blame them for staying. Harmes may Become a required player now that Hibbo, Dunstan and JJ are out the door. Me, I am enjoying the uncertainty of the next two months, I think we have more exits to tick off and looking forward to who comes in.❤️💙👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

We're almost on the same page finally, but I'd prefer O'Sullivan as the second tall as opposed to an undesized Turner, who should be the understudy to Lever with his intercept play.

Our forward half, which I believe needs the biggest improvement, we're pretty much in agreement on.

I'd be looking to do something different with the 7th defender. So instead of playing B7-M8-F7, I'd be trying to play a third winger (B6-W1-M8-F7). So probably Hunter, Langdon and ANB from W1 and M8. Which means abandoning the loose intercepting / attacking half back that Gus played last year (less attacking) and Rivers played this year (more attacking).

But instead, I'd be allowing two of our running backs more licence up the ground to run and carry (say Rivers and Bowey or maybe even McVee), use two of the wingers as defensive wing backs to slot in behind them and cover space or their men (and play as interceptors or 1v1s, ensuring the ball comes to ground), and give the attacking players more licence to try and hit central kicks through the corridor to higher mids or forwards in Trac, Fritta and McAdam pushing higher up the ground. This is with the knowledge we'd have extras behind the ball (at least two wingers) to repel a turnover attack.

It's basically utilising a similar set up to Klopp at Liverpool, but with more players. It would take great coaching and discipline from our players, but I think so much football/soccer strategy has been adopted by the AFL in the last decade, that it's only going to continue. 

Goody has also been an innovator over the journey with the inside slider, the diamond defence, the extras at the stoppage, then the deficit at the stoppage, the focus on post stoppage pressure and so on.

We have to find intricate ways to maintain our defensive positioning and impregnability, whilst being able to play fast and contested. This is one way.

Interesting analysis. Not even sure Goody thinks that deeply about things! 

With you on O’Sullivan. I’m as keen and as sold on that kid as I was on Curnow in the 2015 draft. Obviously he plays other end of the ground but he’s got star quality, insane athleticism. 198cm and probably growing, will fill out into a brute. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Is it even possible to get a Lynch or Naughton and maintain two top 10 draft picks?

I know it sounds like a dream scenario, but I have a feeling that the moment we try to take a player of that calibre...bye bye at least one of our top 10 draft picks.

Best case scenario, we give pick 4 or 5 from this year plus a future first. Then we take Lynch/Naughton and pick 4 or 5 to the draft.

In a hypothetical scenario if we were to trade for Lynch I would be disappointed if the club deemed it wise to give up a top 10 draft pick and more for someone who is over 30 and has injury issues. I could get on board for Naughton, but Lynch I would expect to give up less just based on the fact he might not have much footy left and he is on a rumoured $1M plus a year, it seems like too much risk to me. 

We would be better off taking those picks to the draft building for the long term and going for someone less high profile who can play a steady role as a KPF than going for Lynch if that was the price. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

 

Over the off-season, I'd like to see one Salem trialled at half-forward or wing. I want Salem to have a pre-season like Petracca and Oliver and lose some kg's so that he at least has the same running capacity as Trac. 

I want us to do everything in our power to draft McKertcher and give him a Nick Daicos quarter back role in his first year. He has already has a better tank than Salem and has better vision, ball use and speed than both of them. 

That side to me already looks more balanced. I think JVR still needs time to develop. He wasn't playing anywhere near the level required for the last quarter of the season. It breathes new life all over the ground. I think the Kosi, McKertcher and Salem positions will be a boost as far as ball movement goes and that's without the instructional change that will come over pre-season. 

Someone like Naughton in our forwardline would be game changing and with Watson we only gain another kosi but with more consistency imv. He has runs on the board. 

Salem is not quick enough and does not have good enough endurance to play wing. If he could run, we would not have recruited Langdon, Tomlinson and Hunter.

Salem needs to get back some power/drive in order to be able to break lines and kick further or he will playing half back flank for Casey.

Your solution to our problems (Salem's lack of drive off half back and our wingers being ordinary kicks) comes up with a worse outcome because we will breakdown defensively due to Salem not being a good enough runner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

In a hypothetical scenario if we were to trade for Lynch I would be disappointed if the club deemed it wise to give up a top 10 draft pick and more for someone who is over 30 and has injury issues. I could get on board for Naughton, but Lynch I would expect to give up less just based on the fact he might not have much footy left and he is on a rumoured $1M plus a year, it seems like too much risk to me. 

We would be better off taking those picks to the draft building for the long term and going for someone less high profile who can play a steady role as a KPF than going for Lynch if that was the price. 


Lynch isn’t costing a top ten pick or even pick 13. Not At 31yo. It’s more the salary issue - he’s on pretty big coin. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

We're almost on the same page finally, but I'd prefer O'Sullivan as the second tall as opposed to an undesized Turner, who should be the understudy to Lever with his intercept play.

Our forward half, which I believe needs the biggest improvement, we're pretty much in agreement on.

I'd be looking to do something different with the 7th defender. So instead of playing B7-M8-F7, I'd be trying to play a third winger (B6-W1-M8-F7). So probably Hunter, Langdon and ANB from W1 and M8. Which means abandoning the loose intercepting / attacking half back that Gus played last year (less attacking) and Rivers played this year (more attacking).

But instead, I'd be allowing two of our running backs more licence up the ground to run and carry (say Rivers and Bowey or maybe even McVee), use two of the wingers as defensive wing backs to slot in behind them and cover space or their men (and play as interceptors or 1v1s, ensuring the ball comes to ground), and give the attacking players more licence to try and hit central kicks through the corridor to higher mids or forwards in Trac, Fritta and McAdam pushing higher up the ground. This is with the knowledge we'd have extras behind the ball (at least two wingers) to repel a turnover attack.

It's basically utilising a similar set up to Klopp at Liverpool, but with more players. It would take great coaching and discipline from our players, but I think so much football/soccer strategy has been adopted by the AFL in the last decade, that it's only going to continue. 

Goody has also been an innovator over the journey with the inside slider, the diamond defence, the extras at the stoppage, then the deficit at the stoppage, the focus on post stoppage pressure and so on.

We have to find intricate ways to maintain our defensive positioning and impregnability, whilst being able to play fast and contested. This is one way.

I'd argue either one or both of our wingers need to be challenged. Both finals I think that Langdon was not overly effective, Sidebottom easily won the battle in the QF and Langdon also missed an absolute sitter from an advantage free kick which was a momentum killer. For the match winning goal in the SF Acres was left alone, I presume he was Langdon's direct opponent as he was playing right side of the ground? Langdon was a key part of us winning in 21 but I am seeing that maybe his time could be coming. Hunter is an accumulator but doesn't do much damage with the ball either. I think we could look at being more dynamic in both of those positions. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I'd argue either one or both of our wingers need to be challenged. Both finals I think that Langdon was not overly effective, Sidebottom easily won the battle in the QF and Langdon also missed an absolute sitter from an advantage free kick which was a momentum killer. For the match winning goal in the SF Acres was left alone, I presume he was Langdon's direct opponent as he was playing right side of the ground? Langdon was a key part of us winning in 21 but I am seeing that maybe his time could be coming. Hunter is an accumulator but doesn't do much damage with the ball either. I think we could look at being more dynamic in both of those positions. 

100% agree. Wings have become a weakness for us. Hunter in particular provides no dash, run and carry or drive forward. Would love a John Noble type from Collingwood on the opposing wing to Langdon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

My positive thinking and hopes for season 2024:

(clearly not all possible but what I'd love to see) 

Experienced assistant midfield and forwards coach. As good as Stafford and Yze have been, I think it's time for evolution/change. Everyone can see it. I think Goodwin needs to be seriously challenged about aspects of our game and if we got some stronger personalities around the club I think it would also lift the playing group and breathe new life into the group. 

I think Ratten and Dew could be targets. I'm not sure on the status of Don Pyke, but he transformed the swans attacking game and I think we need someone of that ilk to come in and add some layers to Goodwin's defence and contest based borefest. I think the players would benefit from that as much as our game-plan would. Can you imagine going into another gruelling pre-season hearing Goodwin drive home the same message he has for three years? It would be so uninspiring and it just can't happen. Our players were bored enough in season during games, switching off for periods only to 'get going' when the game was on the line. Our method and game-plan message and implementation is so much more than what people think. God, even our supporters switch off at games because of the robotic and boring nature we play. It's time for change. It has a flow-on effect. I know the 'pro-Goodwin borefest' posters on here will think I don't take enough of a 'nuanced view' to really understand how 'rock solid' out game plan is. But when you have past players like Jordan Lewis come out and criticise our forward-half game, you know it's not only supporters that believe change is needed. 

Now I agree that a lot of our game is in great working order. But the area that is broken has lost us so many games that we 'should have won' of the last few years it's genuinely nauseating. 

Over the off-season, I'd like to see one Salem trialled at half-forward or wing. I want Salem to have a pre-season like Petracca and Oliver and lose some kg's so that he at least has the same running capacity as Trac. 

I want us to do everything in our power to draft McKertcher and give him a Nick Daicos quarter back role in his first year. He has already has a better tank than Salem and has better vision, ball use and speed than both of them. 

Our second pick should be on Nick Watson who plays a specialist forward pocket role in his first year with Kosi getting more midfield time. Simply put, with the sheer amount of inside 50's we get a game, we need more opportunistic, classy and great finishing forwards. Watson ticks every box. His height is irrelevant. He brings crazy energy, is a finisher and uses the ball unbelievably well. 

A mature forward who can take tuck contests is a must in my view and we have the money to throw at a player. I like the Tom Lynch call although I'd do anything to get Naughton. Regardless of his kicking. The amount of contests he hits tht result in spill ball is of value enough. There's no one like him in that regard and given our inside 50 effeciency will never be perfect, we need forwards who will consistently bring ball to ground and/or mark the ball when they have no right to. Naughton is that to a T. 

I'd also bring in a mature ruck and start managing Max throughout the year. Take your pick of Fullarton or Flynn. And I'd trial both over pre-season with Max playing behind the ball rather than going forward at times his on the ground. 

Watson       Naughton      Fritsch 

 ANB              Petty            McAdam

Salem            Oliver          Langdon

McKertcher    Lever         Rivers

Turner            May           McVee

 

Gawn            Petracca       Kosi

 

Interchange:  Fullarton  Viney  Bowey  Sparrow

 

*Brayshaw in the wings when ready to return. 

 

That side to me already looks more balanced. I think JVR still needs time to develop. He wasn't playing anywhere near the level required for the last quarter of the season. It breathes new life all over the ground. I think the Kosi, McKertcher and Salem positions will be a boost as far as ball movement goes and that's without the instructional change that will come over pre-season. 

Someone like Naughton in our forwardline would be game changing and with Watson we only gain another kosi but with more consistency imv. He has runs on the board. 

“…Our players were bored enough in season during games, switching off for periods only to 'get going' when the game was on the line. …”

Mostly valid comments but I must say the suggestion that our players were bored and switched off is “interesting”!  Seriously, professional players bored during a game?? 

Edited by monoccular
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

100% agree. Wings have become a weakness for us. Hunter in particular provides no dash, run and carry or drive forward. Would love a John Noble type from Collingwood on the opposing wing to Langdon. 

Collingwood definitely played through Sidebottom a lot because he made Langdon look stupid.

He’s a shadow of himself after being KO’d

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 382

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 80

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 286

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...