Goody - Genius or insane?

Deespicable

4 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

He does seem to rely on analytics too much

This year his favourite phrase was "score takes care of itself".

Well, in the end it didn't. For all of our statistical dominance we were sent home in straight sets yet again.

But only if the players are up to it. We did not lack opportunity ElDiablo we kicked 28 points and 9 out on the full in the two finals game. Game set and match to our opponents.😢

I was sitting up in the bleachers last night MCC L4 the only benefit is that you can see the whole game, match ups, ball movement, strengths and weaknesses. The thing that stood out to me was our ability to close down a side and change the way they play, we were very dominant in in so much of the play whereas the stark difference was their ability to make something out of an error their finishing skills were superior to ours as were the Pies. This is the area that Goodwin and his team must rectify in the off season, you absolutely have to be able to take advantage of all the hard work done up the ground which we are really good at.!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

But only if the players are up to it. We did not lack opportunity ElDiablo we kicked 28 points and 9 out on the full in the two finals game. Game set and match to our opponents.😢

That's what I am trying to convey, coaches need desperately to work on the teams skills and decision making under pressure.

It is still the responsibility of the coaching group to improve our list skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Simon Goodwin continues to coach Melbourne we won’t win another flag. He is insipid, a deadset monotone bore, he never makes changes that work, McDonald should not have even played last night but to give him 4 quarters was agonising. Schache sat there all night, McDonald ran around like a kindergarten pupil playing against men.The driviling [censored] the forward line gave us last night was the camel, that’s it for me, if Goodwin is coach next year I’m out, I’ll save a couple grand on membership fees and I’ll put it towards much healthier pursuits like golf.  
Probably have PTSD so counseling is gonna cost me.

Edited by Dave1711
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4
  • Sad 2

• Dave1711 changed the title to We won’t win another flag with this coach

27 minutes ago, Dave1711 said:

If Simon Goodwin continues to coach Melbourne we won’t win another flag. He is insipid, a deadset monotone bore, he never makes changes that work, McDonald should not have even played last night but to give him 4 quarters was agonising. Schache sat there all night, McDonald ran around like a kindergarten pupil playing against men.The driviling [censored] the forward line gave us last night was the camel, that’s it for me, if Goodwin is coach next year I’m out, I’ll save a couple grand on membership fees and I’ll put it towards much healthier pursuits like golf.  

yep, Schache not playing was the difference. Difference being we would have lost by more 

You prefer someone like Bevo that wins a flag with a great young list and then misses finals the next two years?

Or Bucks that took over an unbelievable list to never win a flag.  

don’t underestimate how hard this caper is. not saying he is perfect but to finish top 4 without a fwd line or even one decent fwd that played the year out was a decent/good performance 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dave1711 said:

The going gets tough and the tough get going? 
I gather by the amount you pay for membership fees that you had reserved seats and finals and grand final guarantee? 
If that is the case that will free up that seat and I sincerely hope that whoever buys it actually goes to the home and away games during the season (not saying you didn’t go, I have no idea).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, COOLX said:

Are we the only team to go out in straight sets two years running ? If not what happen to the side the year after . Any takers please !!!!

I'm guessing not many teams have finished in the top 4 three years successively and given themselves the chance to crash out in straight sets twice in a row

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave1711 said:

Goodwins message isn’t getting through. We should part ways amicably and give someone else a shot at it.

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I was impressed with his season as he dealt with key injuries and made positional changes, while finishing top 4.

He had a woeful finals series though. 

The blokes who couldn’t hit the side of the barn were our issue not the coach.  If we kick straight in any of the finals games, we win by 5+.   The reason we lost is nothing to do with Goody.  His move to put Kozzie out of the square showed how creative he can be 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave1711 said:

Schache was a sub to back up for Gawn if injured .. Goodwin said this at the presser, comical whilst Grundy sat in the stands he rather have Schache who played 2 senior games with 2 possessions.. something has gone pair shape with grundy & Goodwin 

• Like 1

We had some rotten luck this year.

Injuries and the failed trade of trying to make Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy work together as two elite ruckmen in the same side. I am quite disappointed that it didn't work as I had high hopes.

I also think Simon Goodwin was out-coached in this year's finals series. Something that he will have to reflect upon and do some of his own "learnings". He definitely needs some fresh faces to assist him amongst the Demons coaching team in my opinion.

Overall, whether we like it or not, the media scrutiny and outside pressure will be massive on Simon Goodwin (and Ken Hinkley) next year.

Season 2024 will be Premiership or bust for the Melbourne Demons in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't think Simon Goodwin is insane, but losing 2 finals series in straight sets is certainly driving all us Melbourne supporters insane with MFCSS! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Love 1

…… But according to Sheahan – a long-time Demons fan – Goodwin had full faith in his team’s flag prospects from all the way back in the pre-season.

“We were in the pub in Sorrento in March. Simon said to me ‘are you playing golf?’ I said ‘yeah, you’ll be playing soon when you get the [censored].’ He said ‘Nah, I’m too busy… if we don’t have any serious injuries this year, we’ll win it (the premiership),’” Sheahan revealed.

“I said ‘are you serious?’ He said ‘I’m dead serious.’ So his view at that time was we’re ready and they’ve played accordingly.”

Based on the story from Fox Footy, I must say Goodwin was, at least, a one-year genius for the year 2021. Yes, Goodwin was a dual Premiership player, but he had never coached a team to win a Premiership before that. He had made that declaration, and he delivered.

Goodwin secured a two-year contract extension last month, which means he'll be coaching for three more seasons. I hope he can bring us one more flag during this period.

• Thanks 1