• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

3 minutes ago, BoBo said:

But that’s sweet yeah? As you and others are doing the same thing,  so if they do it, you can do it. 

Definitely not how hypocrisy works. 

Yeah because I’ve been on here wishing Collingwood players and their families permanent brain damage.
You’re right. It’s exactly the same thing as venting frustration and wanting Collingwood players to hurt their arm or leg 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

If you want some unfathomable inconsistency look at Gleeson’s comments when suspending Lachie Hunter;

AFL Tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson said he and his fellow panellists upheld the ban because Hunter "was not contesting the ball", either via attempting to trap it or pick it up.

"Even if we were to have concluded Hunter was contesting the ball, we would've found it was not reasonable for him to contest the ball in that way," Gleeson said at the end of the hearing.

Rozee was coming towards him at speed.

"He was reaching for the ball, he was low and as a result of reaching for the ball his head was exposed ... he could and should've positioned himself in a way so as to minimise impact to Rozee."

Gleeson said Hunter could've "greatly minimised the risk of injury to Rozee", while also presenting "no real risk of injury to Hunter".

"He could've remained front-on and adopted an arms out position to try to trap the ball while absorbing and minimising the impact to Rozee," Gleeson said.“

Now compared to Maynard:

As to the second basis of the rough conduct ger provision, we accept the evidence of Professor that he did not believe that Maynard's body position at the time of impact can be considered part of any conscious decision.

It is asking a lot of a player to decide in a fraction of a second which various ways to land, a high speed collision, and which of those ways of landing might result in which type of reportable offence.

We find that Mr. Maynard was not careless in either his decision to smother or the way in which his body formed.

Ihle on behalf of Maynard says the evidence demonstrates he had no time to make such a decision and that Maynard did no more than brace for contact.

• Like 3
  • Clap 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 3
  • Vomit 3

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

"Maynard himself said in evidence that he didn’t see Brayshaw coming until the last moment.

“I turned my head to land thought ‘[censored], he is there’,” Maynard said."

Sorry if I make a mistake as I am laughing hysterically. Player runs forward and jumps up to smother nothing, as he actually didn't see anyone with the ball, until he was coming down to land.

FMD is this serious?

Did the AFL's counsel even question Maynard on this implausible rubbish? Seems like he didn't. 

• Angry 2

Testimony

Maynard has gone through the incident.

"I saw Angus Brayshaw come out of the front of the stoppage and running towards me.

"I decided to come forward, but as you can see, I jumped straight in the air.

"I do recall making contact with the ball to smother it.

"I had to jump in the air to try and touch the ball. I jumped off two feet, straight in the air.

"When I jumped, I was looking at the football the whole time.

"When I was in the air and smothering the ball, I looked at the football, felt like I made connection, then turned my head to land and "[censored], he was there".

"It was a surprise he had come into my way.

"It was almost like a flinch reaction. I seized up.

"Next thing I know he was on the floor and I was a bit rattled myself."

Maynard is being cross-examined by AFL counsel Andrew Woods.

He asks about Maynard's decision-making process while he's in the air.

Woods: You could have outstretched your hands and arms and cushioned some of the impact with Brayshaw?

Maynard: No

Woods: You could have opened your arms and collected Brayshaw. Do you accept that's something you could have done?

Maynard: No.

AFL

AFL counsel Andrew Woods is continuing to explain why it was unreasonable to smother in this instance.

"It's the speed at which the leap forward occurs and the fact there is no attempt to slow or make that trajectory higher rather than more forward.

"A player in this situation who wants to smother, it might just be too unsafe to do so, because of the forward trajectory.

"Other options that were available were he could have made a more upright jump … that's an obvious example where you could lessen impact.

"Had his hands come down and braced … it would have logically cushioned the blow."

Woods says Maynard does not simply flinch, as he said earlier, but it was a conscious decision to turn his body to impact.

He then says even if it isn't a bump, it's a careless offence.

biomechanics 

Woods (AFL): "Is it possible once the ball passed Maynard's hands that he had time to position his body in a different way to that which he did. Is it possible?"

Cole: "Very limited chance. It's possible. Individuals have different levels of mental fatigue … but I can't speculate. 

"All I'm suggesting, based on the numbers and based on the research, it's difficult to conclusively say Mr Maynard would have been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.

"It's more an innate reflexive response.

Professor Cole being asked about the reaction time for Maynard.

He says the average reaction time for the general population in a controlled setting – like, hitting a button when you see a light – is 200-250 milliseconds, but is confident that would be impossible to achieve in a competitive arena.

He says Maynard would have had no more than 400 milliseconds to respond.

"His primary focus was on the ball."

PIES

is now looking at still images to determine whether Brayshaw moved into Maynard's path after he kicked the ball.

He says Maynard's centre of mass goes straight up with just his arms going to the right to attempt to smother.

He says when Brayshaw kicks, it is not inevitable, in fact it's "not even likely" a collision would occur if both players continued in a straight line.

"It changed because of what Mr Brayshaw did," Ihle said.

"I'm not critical of him. It's important to acknowledge Mr Maynard followed the ball and was surprised to see Brayshaw in the position he was in."

———————————————

Chairman Jeff Gleeson said he made no apologies for the length of time it took considering a player was left concussed and another one stood to miss a couple of pretty important games.

————————————-

the panel said Maynard's decision to smother was reasonable and agreed he made no conscious decision to bump Brayshaw.

In giving his verdict, chairman Jeff Gleeson said Maynard was "not careless in either his decision to smother or the way in which his body formed after the smother".

——————————————————-

A key part of Maynard's evidence centre around Brayshaw deviating to the right - and right into his path - after he kicked the ball. Collingwood's counsel even presented some coloured 'lanes' from behind the goals vision to show how Maynard ran in a straight line and Melbourne's midfielder had drifted significantly to the right.

"When I was in the air and smothering the ball, I looked at the football, felt like I made connection, then turned my head to land and thought 'sh*t, he's there'," Maynard said. "It was a surprise he had come into my way."It was almost like a flinch reaction. I seized up."Next thing I know he was on the floor, and I was a bit rattled myself."

Collingwood counsel Ben Ihle said players who kick the ball at full tilt with their right foot go off to their left, rather than their right, as Brayshaw did.

AFL counsel Andrew Woods contended Maynard could have changed his landing by either outstretching his arms or opening them up to embrace Brayshaw.

However, with evidence from Professor Michael Cole, Collingwood argued Maynard had no time – less than 400 milliseconds from the kick, and even less once it passed his fingertips – to make a conscious decision on a change of landing."Once airborne, Mr Maynard had no opportunity to avoid the collision," Cole said. Based on the numbers and based on the research, it's difficult to conclusively say Mr Maynard would have been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.

"It's more an innate reflexive response."

He added: "Once he's in flight, he's essentially a projectile. Like a frisbee with arms and legs."

• Thanks 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Mate this thread is off it’s head. The things people are saying in here will haunt them for a very long time. 

I feel sympathetic embarrassment honestly. 

The comments and this thread will be a thing of the past soon enough.  Maybe even in a day or so after everyone vents

Gone and forgotten and there will be no regrets

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BoBo said:

But that’s sweet yeah? As you and others are doing the same thing,  so if they do it, you can do it. 

Definitely not how hypocrisy works. 

Heh, heh, I'm the resident "holier than thou" poster on here.

• Like 1

Pies player is knocked out hitting the fence at the “G”

Fence gets death threats and a 4 week suspension.

Loath the AFL and it’s double standards and poor leadership.

❤️💙 the Dee’s, always will.

Get well Gus. There is no justice for you.

And especially so for the many players that have had to retire due to multiple concussions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoBo said:

Ok cool.

@WalkingCivilWar @gregdemon

The next time we play the pies and some Collingwood player ‘tests’ out JVR’s jaw with their elbow, then I trust you’ll be all there saying whatever injury that happens is fair retribution and supporting Collingwood supporters pointing to his suspension is as why he deserves it. 

I don’t agree with this call, I don’t like that Cox did that to Maxy, but maintain a bit of dignity and be better than dog Collingwood supporters? 

Jadeds post was wishing (its implicit in the statement ‘test out that mangled arm’) Howe physical harm, that’s not on. 

What part of “LET PEOPLE VENT” do you not understand? Did you even read my post??? People need to let off some steam. Get off your holier-than-thou high horse and quit judging fellow Dees fans who may or may not be having trouble accepting this [censored]. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Yeah because I’ve been on here wishing Collingwood players and their families permanent brain damage.
You’re right. It’s exactly the same thing as venting frustration and wanting Collingwood players to hurt their arm or leg 🙄

Didn’t say you were wishing Collingwood players and their families permanent brain damage, but that’s a nice straw man you’ve got there. 

‘Go on Toby, test out that mangled arm of his’

Has now turned into:

’wanting a player to hurt their arm or leg’

These two comments are perfectly analogous and you’re really representing what you actually said correctly. 

• Facepalm 2

I reckon the AFL felt they needed to let this go “as a football act” because the next cab off the rank will be a player getting knocked out when an opponent takes a hanger on him and knees him in the head. Then the hanger is outlawed based on this precedent, and then it’s a slippery slope to killing the game entirely.

• Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

The comments and this thread will be a thing of the past soon enough.  Maybe even in a day or so after everyone vents

Gone and forgotten and there will be no regrets

But there’s people in need of being offended too, Macca. 

We should entertain it so they also have a voice. 

• Haha 4

the findings.

- Brayshaw could’ve executed his kick in a different direction or in a different manner, landed in a different manner or in a slightly different location.

In giving his verdict, chairman Jeff Gleeson said Maynard was "not careless in either his decision to smother or the way in which his body formed after the smother".

-the panel said Maynard's decision to smother was reasonable and agreed he made no conscious decision to bump Brayshaw.

THIS MAKES ME SICK

I AM ANGRY. SO ANGRY.

Maynard is a thug.  Careless. High. Severe. 

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

9 minutes ago, Deevout said:

Pies player is knocked out hitting the fence at the “G”

Fence gets death threats and a 4 week suspension.

Loath the AFL and it’s double standards and poor leadership.

❤️💙 the Dee’s, always will.

Get well Gus. There is no justice for you.

And especially so for the many players that have had to retire due to multiple concussions. 

Why have you dragged Picket into this?

Edited by dworship
Spellin
  • Haha 1

the findings.

- Brayshaw could’ve executed his kick in a different direction or in a different manner, landed in a different manner or in a slightly different location.

- In giving his verdict, chairman Jeff Gleeson said Maynard was "not careless in either his decision to smother or the way in which his body formed after the smother".

-the panel said Maynard's decision to smother was reasonable and agreed he made no conscious decision to bump Brayshaw.

THIS MAKES ME SICK

I AM ANGRY. SO ANGRY.

Maynard is a thug.  Careless. High. Severe. 

• Like 1

We've now got bigger fish to fry

We need to get on with it as we've got a game to win on Friday.  There'll be no dirty tactics ... just hard at the footy and secure the win

Unless there's an appeal but what are the chances?

I've vented enough and am moving on

We need to get back to talking about the make-up of our forward line.  And whether Grundy plays

Go Demons!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, In Harmes Way said:

I reckon the AFL felt they needed to let this go “as a football act” because the next cab off the rank will be a player getting knocked out when an opponent takes a hanger on him and knees him in the head. Then the hanger is outlawed based on this precedent, and then it’s a slippery slope to killing the game entirely.

I’ve never seen a smother end in concussion. Have you? 
Nor have I ever seen a hanger result in one. 

Miller accidentally damaged an opponent’s kidney taking a mark. Never has the mark been outlawed. Nor were marks outlawed when Greene was penalized for his studs up action. 

It is not a slippery slope at all. Just like tackling isn’t outlawed. Only sling tackling that results in concussions are banned. 

Smothering doesn’t need to be done in flight at full speed and result in a sideways shoulder to the head. Plenty other ways to do it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Cool, so it will be really easy to explain how any point I’ve made is wrong yeah? 

Look forward to reading it Dworship. 

Oh, hit a nerve did I? For your info I was being SERIOUS. You are obviously new here, ask any of the longer term people. Start with Binman, you are encroaching on my soapbox and I won't stand for it!!

Edited by dworship
  • Haha 1

Just now, At the break of Gawn said:

https://x.com/incrediblybozza/status/1701547203700179389?s=46&t=PgGGBVtPGxmKYqlW0SqdRw

How much does this video of Eddie celebrating make your blood boil?

For fear of being hit down by the purity police, it makes me so angry I would love to throw that glass of wine in the face of that smug racist [censored] canoe.

Can’t wait to watch him and his nepotistic boys cry again when Collingwood lose the grand final. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

What part of “LET PEOPLE VENT” do you not understand? Did you even read my post??? People need to let off some steam. Get off your holier-than-thou high horse and quit judging fellow Dees fans who may or may not be having trouble accepting this [censored]. 

Hey steam away, no problem with that. 

People seem to be real mad at me for criticising a person for wishing injury upon Jeremy Howe which I think is a bad thing to do. Not a big fan of wishing injuries upon random players. 

if you’re cool with that, just say so? Pretty easy thing to do don’t you think? 

Would be wonderful if someone could point out why I’m wrong about that being a bad and hypocritical thing to do, but apparently that’s an extremely hard thing for anybody to do. 

It’s not my fault people cannot directly  address the very, VERY, easy to understanding criticism I have made. 

But whatevs, carry on venting. 

• Facepalm 1