• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

16 minutes ago, BoBo said:

How could you leave out the most obvious choice? 

Im a local council politician. Geez. 

That would explain the patronising posting style. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

17 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Oh people definitely care, that’s why they’ve been avoiding actually addressing my point an waffling on for decades worth of posts. 

Bobo,

You’ve got to let people here be angry for a couple of hours.

There aren’t too many sympathetic ears out there. Social media is a disastrous place to engage as a Dees supporter right now. People just want to metaphorically break a few TV sets and say things that will likely not be repeated after a decent night’s sleep. 

This is the room you’re having trouble reading. You might not like it, but nobody’s forcing you to engage. Go and watch an episode of “To The Manor Born” or something. Normal* transmission will resume tomorrow, promise. 

*ish

ps. I believe local councils are the most corrupt government bodies in this country and I firmly believe that they should be abolished bye

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

the afl were happy to be seen to be prosecuting the case without actually, y'know, prosecuting the case

thanks…it’s really astounding. I’m genuinely disgusted by this. This whole thing is pretty much everything I hate about our game. The hit, the concussion, the feral pie crowd chanting, the journos all joining together to push an outcome, a fake outcome and the bending over by the AFL to please the pies. 

I know the dees are still very much alive but my interest in this season just dropped by 50%. joy factor missing. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Bobo,

You’ve got to let people here be angry for a couple of hours.

There aren’t too many sympathetic ears out there. Social media is a disastrous place to engage as a Dees supporter right now. People just want to metaphorically break a few TV sets and say things that will likely not be repeated after a decent night’s sleep. 

This is the room you’re having trouble reading. You might not like it, but nobody’s forcing you to engage. Go and watch an episode of “To The Manor Born” or something. Normal* transmission will resume tomorrow, promise. 

*ish

ps. I believe local councils are the most corrupt government bodies in this country and I firmly believe that they should be abolished bye

Fair call. 

I’m also not a local council politician and agree local councils are very corrupt and should be abolished FWIW. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Gee, all this stuff from posters that we are going to get tough and hurt players because Maynard got off is laughable. Who in the hell from our team other than Viney will show any aggression. Fritta maybe ? Your joking. He doesn't even spoil Quaynor or block a player in the goal line when a goal was imminent. We haven't a hard nosed player in this team other than Viney and even he can't come up against the likes of Maynard. Maybe we can turn to Langdon, Chandler, Laurie, Spargo, BBB and the likes. Wouldn't worry me and I'm 70 odd.

Let's all just get back to reality and hope in hell we can bring our A game on Friday and live another day. Just maybe a win then another against the Lions and get the Pies in the GF and the just play the ball and win. Wouldn't that be nice!. Firstly we have the Blues to get over.

Viney, May, Sparrow, Kozzie wouldn't take a backwards step. I reckon Rivers would go alright too, hell if Melksham can stand without falling over suit him up, tell him to run amok for 10 minutes then sub him out. That way he still gets his premiership medal too 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Viney, May, Sparrow, Kozzie wouldn't take a backwards step. I reckon Rivers would go alright too, hell if Melksham can stand without falling over suit him up, tell him to run amok for 10 minutes then sub him out. That way he still gets his premiership medal too 😉

Lever is very handy with the gloves.
Don't let the moustache fool you.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's sickening

The AFL can get stuffed, I'm over feeling like I'm pushing [censored] uphill supporting one of the minnow clubs they don't give a stuff about.

Yes, that's it Gonzo. Always the bum steer, always getting the [censored] left over when it comes to fixturing, always getting outmuscled by these fat cats who think they run the place. Can you believe 3 of my nump Collingwood friends have said this is not only a good result for them but for the AFL? I've got a Carlton friend who said Brayshaw had a duty of care to himself knowing that his "next concussion could be his last" those words verbatim. This is the level of idiotness we're dealing with from the general public and now they've lapped up some crud that Gus would have kicked the ball in a safer way too. 

I've had it, don't feel too sorry for other clubs when it happens to them. They sure as well aren't sorry for us.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

There is one thing that would really have the AFL thinking. That is  withdrawal of services just before the bounce of Friday Nights Game by the players, citing that their safety cannot be guaranteed....etc etc etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Jjrogan said:

Yessss!!! Growing up, I'd love to watch the wrestling and in Royal Rumbles every wrestler would come in at spaced intervals. Just when you thought it was quiet a new entrant emerged.  :) 

Keep the mob entertained.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BoBo said:

Did you read back what you wrote?

Seriously, did you read that comment and get to the end of it and think ‘yes, I’m happy with this sentiment, it accurately represents what I think and I’m happy to post it on the internet for other people to see.’

Is that the thought process that happened? Or will you read this in 24 hours and regret it do you think? 

If you don’t regret then that’s all good and I’ll just say these are the words of an absolute meat head. 

How long have you been watching footy? Are you happy for us to consistently be the ones being bullied with no recourse? It's happened time and again most notably in the 2000 GF but on other occasions as well. There comes a time where you have to decide you're not going to put up with it anymore.

If it comes to it and we meet them in the GF (which I doubt will happen either way) but if it does then we need to have the mindset that we must win by any means necessary.

Viney went to the coaches before the 2021 GF wanting to take out a Dog's player at the first bounce which they shutdown. I guess he's just another meathead too though.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Yessss!!! Growing up, I'd love to watch the wrestling and in Royal Rumbles every wrestler would come in at spaced intervals. Just when you thought it was quiet a new entrant emerged.  :) 

Was a bit of a flaccid entrance, though. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

"Police stand by, as looters take what they want."

Layz you’re running three minutes over your quality whinge time. It’s fish-frying time for you now m’ boy. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deebauched said:

Melbourne player suspended.

Collingwood?  No worries.

100% corruption in all major sports around the world but for different reasons.

We all new this was the likely outcome.

The media will back the AFL 100%.

Theyre all corporate people .

This marathon tribunal will be forgotten very quickly.

Finals start again in 4 days.

Brace for impact.

Stupid post

JVR was always getting a week,that hit has been suspended all year,you not seen many games this year???

Maynard did nothing wrong

Leave the ground to spoil-tick

Brace for contact-tick

It's not outside the AFL rules,so he can't be suspended

If one of our players did that to a Carlton player Friday night,you'd say it's a football action

Move on

• Facepalm 3
  • Vomit 2

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Testimony

Maynard has gone through the incident.

"I saw Angus Brayshaw come out of the front of the stoppage and running towards me.

"I decided to come forward, but as you can see, I jumped straight in the air.

"I do recall making contact with the ball to smother it.

"I had to jump in the air to try and touch the ball. I jumped off two feet, straight in the air.

"When I jumped, I was looking at the football the whole time.

"When I was in the air and smothering the ball, I looked at the football, felt like I made connection, then turned my head to land and "[censored], he was there".

"It was a surprise he had come into my way.

"It was almost like a flinch reaction. I seized up.

"Next thing I know he was on the floor and I was a bit rattled myself."

Maynard is being cross-examined by AFL counsel Andrew Woods.

He asks about Maynard's decision-making process while he's in the air.

Woods: You could have outstretched your hands and arms and cushioned some of the impact with Brayshaw?

Maynard: No

Woods: You could have opened your arms and collected Brayshaw. Do you accept that's something you could have done?

Maynard: No.

AFL

AFL counsel Andrew Woods is continuing to explain why it was unreasonable to smother in this instance.

"It's the speed at which the leap forward occurs and the fact there is no attempt to slow or make that trajectory higher rather than more forward.

"A player in this situation who wants to smother, it might just be too unsafe to do so, because of the forward trajectory.

"Other options that were available were he could have made a more upright jump … that's an obvious example where you could lessen impact.

"Had his hands come down and braced … it would have logically cushioned the blow."

Woods says Maynard does not simply flinch, as he said earlier, but it was a conscious decision to turn his body to impact.

He then says even if it isn't a bump, it's a careless offence.

biomechanics 

Woods (AFL): "Is it possible once the ball passed Maynard's hands that he had time to position his body in a different way to that which he did. Is it possible?"

Cole: "Very limited chance. It's possible. Individuals have different levels of mental fatigue … but I can't speculate. 

"All I'm suggesting, based on the numbers and based on the research, it's difficult to conclusively say Mr Maynard would have been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.

"It's more an innate reflexive response.

Professor Cole being asked about the reaction time for Maynard.

He says the average reaction time for the general population in a controlled setting – like, hitting a button when you see a light – is 200-250 milliseconds, but is confident that would be impossible to achieve in a competitive arena.

He says Maynard would have had no more than 400 milliseconds to respond.

"His primary focus was on the ball."

PIES

is now looking at still images to determine whether Brayshaw moved into Maynard's path after he kicked the ball.

He says Maynard's centre of mass goes straight up with just his arms going to the right to attempt to smother.

He says when Brayshaw kicks, it is not inevitable, in fact it's "not even likely" a collision would occur if both players continued in a straight line.

"It changed because of what Mr Brayshaw did," Ihle said.

"I'm not critical of him. It's important to acknowledge Mr Maynard followed the ball and was surprised to see Brayshaw in the position he was in."

———————————————

Chairman Jeff Gleeson said he made no apologies for the length of time it took considering a player was left concussed and another one stood to miss a couple of pretty important games.

————————————-

the panel said Maynard's decision to smother was reasonable and agreed he made no conscious decision to bump Brayshaw.

In giving his verdict, chairman Jeff Gleeson said Maynard was "not careless in either his decision to smother or the way in which his body formed after the smother".

——————————————————-

A key part of Maynard's evidence centre around Brayshaw deviating to the right - and right into his path - after he kicked the ball. Collingwood's counsel even presented some coloured 'lanes' from behind the goals vision to show how Maynard ran in a straight line and Melbourne's midfielder had drifted significantly to the right.

"When I was in the air and smothering the ball, I looked at the football, felt like I made connection, then turned my head to land and thought 'sh*t, he's there'," Maynard said. "It was a surprise he had come into my way."It was almost like a flinch reaction. I seized up."Next thing I know he was on the floor, and I was a bit rattled myself."

Collingwood counsel Ben Ihle said players who kick the ball at full tilt with their right foot go off to their left, rather than their right, as Brayshaw did.

AFL counsel Andrew Woods contended Maynard could have changed his landing by either outstretching his arms or opening them up to embrace Brayshaw.

However, with evidence from Professor Michael Cole, Collingwood argued Maynard had no time – less than 400 milliseconds from the kick, and even less once it passed his fingertips – to make a conscious decision on a change of landing."Once airborne, Mr Maynard had no opportunity to avoid the collision," Cole said. Based on the numbers and based on the research, it's difficult to conclusively say Mr Maynard would have been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.

"It's more an innate reflexive response."

He added: "Once he's in flight, he's essentially a projectile. Like a frisbee with arms and legs."

What a bunch of waffle

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Yeah but it really is in the end. We lost a ley player and in many ways it cost us the game. Most likely lose the guy for the rest of the season but its all down to a big accident and hey Gus could have kicked it differently to avoid contact. Our club and player were made to look weak and stupid while the good bloke verdict came through and Bruz gets to play.

Hard to see how we don't lose in this, another case of getting the bum steer thanks to big shot club mentality. 

I can see that perspective but I'm not buying into it. It's a weak loser mentality and I've got no interest in it.

1 hour ago, layzie said:

I'm getting a bit sick of people I know thinking that's all bunk and that they sign up for this stuff when they could be a plumber or electrician or postal worker.

The AFL could have a chance if they can show they haven't acted negligently.

Unfortunately results like this and instances like Port not putting players into concussion protocols (and the AFL not having independent doctors to force them to do so) shows they're not taking their duty of care seriously and opens them up to litigation. It's a ticking time bomb for the AFL.

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

He says when Brayshaw kicks, it is not inevitable, in fact it's "not even likely" a collision would occur if both players continued in a straight line.

"It changed because of what Mr Brayshaw did," Ihle said.

"I'm not critical of him. It's important to acknowledge Mr Maynard followed the ball and was surprised to see Brayshaw in the position he was in."

A key part of Maynard's evidence centre around Brayshaw deviating to the right - and right into his path - after he kicked the ball. Collingwood's counsel even presented some coloured 'lanes' from behind the goals vision to show how Maynard ran in a straight line and Melbourne's midfielder had drifted significantly to the right.

"When I was in the air and smothering the ball, I looked at the football, felt like I made connection, then turned my head to land and thought 'sh*t, he's there'," Maynard said. "It was a surprise he had come into my way."It was almost like a flinch reaction. I seized up."Next thing I know he was on the floor, and I was a bit rattled myself."

Collingwood counsel Ben Ihle said players who kick the ball at full tilt with their right foot go off to their left, rather than their right, as Brayshaw did.

This is the lamest piece of rubbish ever. Brayshaw's right foot touches the ground after he has kicked the ball with it, and his left foot is still up in the air when Maynard hits him. How can it be said that Brayshaw deviated to the right? Or moved any distance at all in any direction after the kick? And why is the Collingwood lawyer allowed to introduce statements like this without any relevant expertise or any justification for this "evidence"? This [censored] would get chucked out of a kangaroo court ...

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

Just watched tonight’s 360 (on delay obvs). Did I miss something with Howe? Sure he defended his teammate (against what most of us feel is indefensible, I get it) and said he felt bad for what he’s been dealing with (which I think any of our team would do for a teammate in similar circumstances), but I also saw him more than almost anyone who’s fronted up to the media about it stating over and over his concern was for Gus and what he’s going through. I thought that was genuine. 

Incidentally I also noticed he posted a pretty heartfelt message to Melk when he did his knee. 

I hate what’s happened this week and I feel sick for Gus and the team. The tribunal result is not only unfair but defies all logic, but I dunno about the pile on on literally anyone who’s not in the red and blue and doesn’t unequivocally say Maynard should be taken out and shot. 

(6pm here in Germany, no I’m not thinking about this at 2am. Though I have).

• Like 7