• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

22 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Interesting stats in Carlton v Sydney

1st Half - Sydney played on 11% of the time.  Kicked 2.6.

2nd Half - Sydney played on 37% of the time.  Kicked 7.8

It will be very disappointing if we stick to our stodgy method.  Surely not.  If we take the game on and attack we win this.

I think we will come out and play fast in the first quarter. We need to get some pace on the ball and have the ball in transition a lot more. And we need a quarter time lead which will help the game not becoming a low scoring arm wrestle.

The first quarter against the Pies was that sort transition game, its just that we didn't have out head in the game and couldn't create enough chances or take enough risks. The Pies did both and deserved their match winning lead.

In a funny way it would have been better if weren't so dominant after that becuase they couldn't get it out of our half and it turned into a grind. If the they were able to play their normal transition game a bit more it would have put some speed on the ball. They would have scored more, but so would have we. 

All that said, as the Swans proved, if we kicked as inaccurately as we did last Thursday night it wouldn't have changed the result playing a faster, transition game (that would have meant less inside 50s and therefore les shots at goal). 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Ch 7 going with Tomlinson over Hibberd.

Listed a range of other players to come in but Grundy wasn’t one of them.

Mitch Cleary has had an inside word all year. Can almost guarantee you he will release a spoiler tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Ive spent the afternoon swilling cider in the sun and the optimism is BACK!!!

I actually have no idea what motivates this team, all the things that I think should motivate them doesnt seem to, but I reckon afetr the last week, theyll be motivates as [censored]!!.

The reaqsons why I think we will win the 2023 premiership

our forward line has been shizen, and now with multiople injuries/ suspensions, we have to be un[censored]predictable.

We need to score about 80 points to beat those [censored] from....well, wherever there from. so the mids, wingers and backs are all going to have to share the ice cream so everyone can have a lick. Last week we bombed it inot the forward 50 on 38 occasions. This week they will bomb it in on 6 occasions, meaning we are hitting up targets, lowering the eyes and being patient with forward entries.

I reckon Grundy will play and i reckon he should play sole ruck. What to do with Gawn? He will have more intercerpt marks this game than may and Lever combined for the year! They just wont be able to get it past him, not only that, but he will kick a coiuple of snags too. 

Riv and Koz should play load more in the middle, those boys will hold their own which will free up the trackanator to kick a bag.

Defenece has been great all year, that other team will be lucky to kick more than 60 points, even with that guy thatwon that medal for kicking loads of goals against the roos. 

Dees by 20 points.

because of all those reasons, we will beat those bears up the [censored] tough guy sadium, and why not beat them by a point, again. [censored] it, why not.

We are not going to lose to the thug team in the GF, cos there is no way on gods given earth that we lose to them again this season. Not only that, but GWS will beat them anyway

#GODEES

• Love 1
  • Clap 1

Just realised last time we played Carlton in a final was the 2000 QF, one of the best days ever. Would give anything for the same Friday night.

image.jpeg.03a4cb3ecdcfd6b34e0ae319cebe871b.jpeg

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 8
  • Love 3

Just now, Jibroni said:

Just realised we played Carlton in a final was the 2000 QF, one of the best days ever. Would give anything for the same Friday night.

image.jpeg.03a4cb3ecdcfd6b34e0ae319cebe871b.jpeg

Can we have the same players ?? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, binman said:

I think we will come out and play fast in the first quarter. We need to get some pace on the ball and have the ball in transition a lot more. And we need a quarter time lead which will help the game not becoming a low scoring arm wrestle.

The first quarter against the Pies was that sort transition game, its just that we didn't have out head in the game and couldn't create enough chances or take enough risks. The Pies did both and deserved their match winning lead.

In a funny way it would have been better if weren't so dominant after that becuase they couldn't get it out of our half and it turned into a grind. If the they were able to play their normal transition game a bit more it would have put some speed on the ball. They would have scored more, but so would have we. 

All that said, as the Swans proved, if we kicked as inaccurately as we did last Thursday night it wouldn't have changed the result playing a faster, transition game (that would have meant less inside 50s and therefore les shots at goal). 

Makes sense.  However, I wonder whether we're more likely to be on the ropes in the first quarter as we were against Carlton in the first quarter a few weeks ago.  It is possible they are better at the contested stuff right at the start.

But they seem to be a team that doesn't have the fitness (or maybe their game style is so exhausting) that they run out of dash / legs in the second half.  

As much as I'd love to come out breathing fire, it wouldn't surprise me if we have a bit of a rope-a-dope strategy to without their early power. 

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Can we have the same players ?? 

What I would pay to see Ox and Neita in our forward line.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Just now, Jibroni said:

Slot those two in ( at least) .. be a record dynasty of flags..   be untouchable 

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

But isn't the idea that Carlton will have a resting ruck most of the time so that is the matchup.  May will get Curnow.  Who else gets the resting ruck?  Lever?  Hibberd?  Smith?

Ins:  Tomo, Turner, JJ, Spargo

Outs:  Salem (omitted), JVR (susp), Gus (conc) & Chandler (omitted)

Tomo comes in for Salem to cover their resting ruck.

Allows Lever to play in his preferred role.

May to Curnow no brainer.

Hibbo to stay in playing a defensive role on Owies.

Turner for JVR

JJ for Gus.  Hard tag on Crippa.  Don't care if he only gets 5 possies.  Keep Crippa to 16 or so and a goal (max) and we should win.

Spargo for Chandler

Sub:  AMW or Woe

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

It’s also Mitch Cleary’s understanding that the club felt they went in too small last week in defence.

This is interesting because we abandoned the 2 tall defender set up after the bad Freo loss. We then played the 3 tall defender set up and proceeded  to go 10-3 for the rest of the H&A season. We then abandoned the 3 tall defender in favour of a smaller defence against Collingwood and we ended up back on the losers board.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

It’s also Mitch Cleary’s understanding that the club felt they went in too small last week in defence.

This is interesting because we abandoned the 2 tall defender set up after the bad Freo loss. We then played the 3 tall defender set up and proceeded  to go 10-3 for the rest of the H&A season. We then abandoned the 3 tall defender in favour of a smaller defence against Collingwood and we ended up back on the losers board.

It's interesting because even though I felt we were a bit small - we didn't get beaten in the air in their forward line often - I thought it was more the pace that got us?

Having said that I'm sure we will go taller this weekend.

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

discussion point - it seems the vast majority want Grundy in for Friday. 

i would prefer a fwd line of T Mac, Fritsch and Smith. so to not diminish Gawns immense influence in the ruck. After months of Grundy and Gawn not working together and not impacting the score board can people please explain why Grundy should come in?

Cheers 🙂

I do acknowledge if Gawn is properly injured that is a reason but assuming he is fine

Who do you suggests is the second ruck ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We kept Colli wood to 60 points. Defence wasn’t our issue 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, deelusions from afar said:

It's interesting because even though I felt we were a bit small - we didn't get beaten in the air in their forward line often - I thought it was more the pace that got us?

Having said that I'm sure we will go taller this weekend.

Our defence was excellent last week to keep Collingwood to 60 points.

But I guess the point is we have a far better record when we play a tall defence.

Tomlinson will be a good match up for the resting De Koning or Pittonet. Then Lever can take Silvagni if selected

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

As much as I'd love to come out breathing fire, it wouldn't surprise me if we have a bit of a rope-a-dope strategy to without their early power. 

Of course we don't plan to be down at quarter time but my feeling is that is how we have approached our last 5 or six games. Let the oppo take their shot, work out what they doing, respond and run over them with superior fitness.

But i don't think we can risk another slow start this week. And i don't think they will. Go hard and fast early and get a break on them. And take the crowd out of the equation. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Wow..

Was just actually confirmation or just a guess from their end?

34 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Brad Green would be handy too. Could actually kick straight!

29 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

22 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

We kept Colli wood to 60 points. Defence wasn’t our issue 

This is exactly right. We abandoned the 3 tall defense set up which we know works really well, yet we were really good defensively against the Pies. Perhaps they felt that going shorter left too much one on one work for Lever to do, which reduced our ability to intercept. It was also one of Rivers' quietest games in a while. 

3 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

Who do you suggests is the second ruck ?

I would go with T Mac. He’s done it before, a little

Not ideal but we have a first year kid doing it usually. 

Id personally rather we take a hit on an average 2nd ruck over carrying two first rucks

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Our defence was excellent last week to keep Collingwood to 60 points.

But I guess the point is we have a far better record when we play a tall defence.

Tomlinson will be a good match up for the resting De Koning or Pittonet. Then Lever can take Silvagni if selected

Hibberd did a pretty excellent job on Elliott 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Didn't see the list but interesting if true about Tomlinson over Hibberd.

Lever and May play best with a third tall so I'm happy. Tomlinson probably gets the nod due to experience over Turner.

Conditions probably factored in as well. Slow wet slog is easier to defend and to kill the ball. Dry quick game will require greater aerial presence and intercepts in defence, Tomlinson will help May and Lever do this.

10 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Need May & Lever at their peak playmaking on Friday to improve forward thrust. Tommo in to play on Curnow. DEES

Agree with the first part, however Curnow will absolutely destroy Tomlinson with his athleticism. Surely plays on a resting ruck like Pittonet or TDK.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

Didn't see the list but interesting if true about Tomlinson over Hibberd.

Lever and May play best with a third tall so I'm happy. Tomlinson probably gets the nod due to experience over Turner.

Conditions probably factored in as well. Slow wet slog is easier to defend and to kill the ball. Dry quick game will require greater aerial presence and intercepts in defence, Tomlinson will help May and Lever do this.

Jordon, Spargo, Turner and Tomlinson all in the mix.

• Thanks 1