PODCAST: QF Preview vs Collingwood

Demonland

Excellent podcast again last week fellas. Can't wait to get stuck into this one like we'll get stuck into the Pies on Thursday.

One thing that worries me about the Pies is their forward line.

Jaime Elliot always gives us trouble as does Brody Mihocek. Let's not even mention Big Cox as he too can cause headaches when drifting forward. Also Dan McStay didn't play the last time we met and if I recall correctly he went down with an injury very early in our Qualifying Final against the Lions so we did not have to contend with him that night.

It's no secret that one of our biggest weakness down back is when the ball hits the deck and they have a couple of crafty small forwards that can be very damaging in Hill and Ginivan.

What are the key matchups down back and will we go the 3rd tall? Disco or Tommo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a huge game it will be - buzzing with anticipation of yet another insightful and stimulating podcast.

Questions have mostly been asked already:  the biggest ones are of course forward line up (TMcD's possible return, Smith's role, Spargo v Laurie etc), the ruck (+/- Brundy), defence (Turner vs Tomlinson).

GO DEMONS.

• Thanks 1

Couple of discussions points for me this week:

Firstly I need Binman to provide me with some confidence going into Thursdays game. I was extremely confident that we’d win this week right up until I checked the weather forecast. We have been horrible in wet conditions all year so I’m just hoping the rain also has a negative effect on the pies.

Secondly re team selection. Grundy can’t possibly come in if it wet so Tmac comes in for Melksham. (Also whilst on Grundy, what’s the panels view on Grundy talking to other clubs whilst Dees are still in contention for the flag?) Smith to play the negating role on Moore and sounds like Bowey was training at full pace so just the one change for me. What are your thoughts on the sub? Laurie, Spargo or Hibbert? 

Can’t wait to listen in tonight boys, see you at the G on Thursday Go Dees! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to leave the questions here. I've already submitted the running sheet to my cohosts. I will shoehorn the last two from @monoccular & @Roo Beauty

The questions and comments from our listeners are an integral part of the format of our podcast so thank you to you all. You will of course get your shoutouts in the show and tomorrow in this thread.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m so filthy.. I hair wanna make that clear!!! I’m physically manifesting decades of media wrongdoing and solicitousness to absolutely fundamentally undermine all we do! Barrett, King (sometimes), Russell, Taylor, Hutchy, Sellers, Carey, Wilson, Thomas, Robinson, Connolly, G Healy (pre flag) the list goes on and on.. they undermine all we do and any other club making top (bar Saints maybe) 3yrs running would be glorified beyond all realms but we can’t even get 2 in the AA team, what a crock!!!

Thanks the LORD for smart footy peeps like Whelo, Swamp & Hoyne (and even Cornes this year) for seeing our team for what it is, peaking strategically at right time! 

Have a great time tonight gents, if I’m still filthy later I’ll call in perhaps but can’t wait to on hear your thoughts, you guys have become the new beacon of our demons-week here at home where me and the 3 kids listen religiously! Well done again. I’ve been here at Demonland board since the early days and never imagined the podcast would become this good.. I nearly started my own just cus I used to think there was nothing out there and now here we are, whereby it’s now the definitive podcast for all of footy imho 👏🏻 

Edited by Nudge
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 9:10 PM, Wells 11 said:

It’s not strictly about the game but about the grundy trade talk. Let him walk.. or try to keep him? 

Win the flag and see if he changes his mind!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nudge said:

Which show did he call it a fluke? That’s pretty disrespectful if true. We’re the only team with 3 consecutive top 4 finishes at the moment. We’re nothing like the 2016 dogs.

Edited by george_on_the_outer

3 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Which show did he call it a fluke? That’s pretty disrespectful if true. We’re the only team with 3 consecutive top 4 finishes at the moment. We’re nothing like the 2016 dogs.

I think it was todays episode (Monday 4th) of Access all areas? Barrett got the “doom and gloom, what if?” question for the Dees/Pies.

If I recall, he stated something along the lines that if the Dees lose, questions might start to be asked if we were lucky to win the flag in 2021, did we just hit form in a Covid year in the bubble? Taking into account our poor finals in 2022.

For the Pies, along the lines of, They can’t lose, with how they dominated the year.

To be honest, I sort of agree. The pressure is on the Pies, the Media and their supporters have pumped them up all year. If they go out in straight sets, Vic Park will be burned down. 😂  As for the Dees, if we don’t win the flag this year, I would 100% expect people, including supporters, to question if we got lucky in 2021 like the Bulldogs in 2016? With the Cats, Hawks and Tigers all getting on a roll and winning multiple flags, people forget how hard it is to win a GF. I’m ecstatic that we won one in my lifetime, but I would be a little disappointed if we don’t get at least 1 more within the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Males said:

I think it was todays episode (Monday 4th) of Access all areas? Barrett got the “doom and gloom, what if?” question for the Dees/Pies.

If I recall, he stated something along the lines that if the Dees lose, questions might start to be asked if we were lucky to win the flag in 2021, did we just hit form in a Covid year in the bubble? Taking into account our poor finals in 2022.

For the Pies, along the lines of, They can’t lose, with how they dominated the year.

To be honest, I sort of agree. The pressure is on the Pies, the Media and their supporters have pumped them up all year. If they go out in straight sets, Vic Park will be burned down. 😂  As for the Dees, if we don’t win the flag this year, I would 100% expect people, including supporters, to question if we got lucky in 2021 like the Bulldogs in 2016? With the Cats, Hawks and Tigers all getting on a roll and winning multiple flags, people forget how hard it is to win a GF. I’m ecstatic that we won one in my lifetime, but I would be a little disappointed if we don’t get at least 1 more within the next 2-3 years.

It's superb logic

The AFL sanctioned media and the ex players bang on about how ruthless the sport is, how lucky you need to be , and that it's incredibly tough to win a flag.

And then you're 'lucky' if you win just the one...

The media's propensity to deliver two contrasting narratives about the same subject, as we see in the AFL, is not an arbitrary act but a clever tactic rooted in our evolutionary biology and psychological inclinations. From an evolutionary standpoint, humans are wired to respond to stimuli that provoke strong emotions, be it fear, joy, anger, or surprise. Such emotions historically helped our ancestors navigate threats and opportunities in their environment, ensuring their survival.

In the modern context, media capitalizes on this by presenting polarized views, aiming to evoke the strongest reactions and ensuring higher engagement with their content.

This is also supported by schema therapy, which suggests that individuals develop schemas or cognitive structures based on their past experiences. When the media makes a hyperbolic statement that challenges an individual's deeply held schema about their club or any other beloved subject, the individual is naturally inclined to react.

If the media claims that the sport is ruthlessly challenging, yet simultaneously undermines the effort it takes to win a premiership by suggesting it's just "luck", it taps into fans' emotions, compelling them to engage, discuss, and ultimately, stay invested in the AFL 'product'.

You are the product, you pay their wages.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

It's superb logic

The AFL sanctioned media and the ex players bang on about how ruthless the sport is, how lucky you need to be , and that it's incredibly tough to win a flag.

And then you're 'lucky' if you win just the one...

The media's propensity to deliver two contrasting narratives about the same subject, as we see in the AFL, is not an arbitrary act but a clever tactic rooted in our evolutionary biology and psychological inclinations. From an evolutionary standpoint, humans are wired to respond to stimuli that provoke strong emotions, be it fear, joy, anger, or surprise. Such emotions historically helped our ancestors navigate threats and opportunities in their environment, ensuring their survival.

In the modern context, media capitalizes on this by presenting polarized views, aiming to evoke the strongest reactions and ensuring higher engagement with their content.

This is also supported by schema therapy, which suggests that individuals develop schemas or cognitive structures based on their past experiences. When the media makes a hyperbolic statement that challenges an individual's deeply held schema about their club or any other beloved subject, the individual is naturally inclined to react.

If the media claims that the sport is ruthlessly challenging, yet simultaneously undermines the effort it takes to win a premiership by suggesting it's just "luck", it taps into fans' emotions, compelling them to engage, discuss, and ultimately, stay invested in the AFL 'product'.

You are the product, you pay their wages.

Edited by binman

Your questions and comments form a large part of our podcast.

So thanks to these posters this week that posted questions/comments.

@ElDiablo14 @smurf @OhMyDees @whatwhat say what @Roost it far @Wadda We Sing @DemonWA @At the break of Gawn @Roo Beauty @Supreme_Demon @rpfc @MrFreeze @Lefty @Red and Bluebeard @Bigfoot @defuture15 @Deeoldfart @Skrull @leave it to deever @monoccular @Pipefitter @Travy14 @layzie @Wells 11 @Flower Magic

Don't forget to leave us a 5 Star Review on Apple Podcasts and write a review and we'll read it out on the show.

And also if you have an account on YouTube we'd love it if you can Like our videos and Subscribe to our Channel

Demonland YouTube Channel

Last night's Podcast will be up on YouTube later today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I just dropped our preview on our podcast on YouTube and I made sure to look the last five weeks, not the entire year form line. Outside of the Carlton loss (win) we have been awesome over this period where they have only been chugging along.  

Check it out (only eight minutes total) and if you like it, give a subscribe (they're free)!

• Thanks 1

Another outstanding Pod Guys.  Thank you!    
You canvassed all key points relating to our up-coming encounter in the QF, and dispelled any lingering symptoms of MFCSS that I had before tuning in.  Gee, even Andy was ‘slightly nervously confident’  🙃 😀!   
Thanks also for your excellent summary of our great win in the AFLW.
As an ‘interstater’, and very long term Redlegs Member of the MFC, I value the Pods enormously.  Keep up the great work guys, and Go Demons! 

Edited by Deeoldfart
Typo
  • Thanks 2

On 9/3/2023 at 11:39 AM, rpfc said:

One exercise might be helpful as the masses on here are convincing themselves of our superiority - if we were to lose, why would that happen?

What I see; we may struggle to take advantage of periods of dominance if Fritsch or CP5 aren’t firing, we may be cut through with the Pies ball movement and because of high press they may get 4 great looks in a hurry, we might fall back into some bad habits around slow ball movement out of the backline and tied with losing stoppages it would just invite pressure…

Anyway, exploration of those scenarios would be helpful - because you will talk plenty about the reverse.

Bump.

perry cox scrubs GIF

• Like 1