Phantom Drafts 2023

Whispering_Jack

6 hours ago, Nascent said:

Great work @spirit of norm smith

If I could add some names to the mix for potential 2nd round-rookie prospects.

- Lachie Charleson

- Kobe Shipp

- Matt Carroll

- Bodie Ryan

- Will Lorenz

- Will Patton

- Vigo Visentini

- Joe Fonti

- Jack Callinan

- Cam Nyko

- Ben Hopkins

- Mahmoud Taha

And of course Kynan Brown.

Adelaide and St Kilda have interest in Joe Fonti, seriously fast player with unbelievable lateral movement. Biggest problem I have seen with him is defensive accountability and just trying to do everything at 100mph. Plays a lot like Jayden Hunt, in terms of his run, probably nowhere near as good as Jayden defensively.  Can take a decent contested grab 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, The end is nigh said:

It seems most phantoms have north passing on curtin and hawks grabbing him. Given they have McCabe coming in as a f/s, Im holding onto a little hope that he slides to us (although I see this as a major hole for north and them needing him more than anyone)  

The only one that matters in the Twombstone seems confident on

1. Reid, 2/3. McKercher/Duursma, 4. Watson. 5. Sanders

With talk that Curtin might fall further than that.

Perhaps:

6. Melb. Leake
7. GWS. Caddy
8. Geel (?trade) Curtin 
9. Ess. Wilson 
10. Adel. O’Sullivan 
11 Melb ???

Plenty to play out but Twomey usually gets it right at the top

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The only one that matters in the Twombstone seems confident on

1. Reid, 2/3. McKercher/Duursma, 4. Watson. 5. Sanders

With talk that Curtin might fall further than that.

Perhaps:

6. Melb. Leake
7. GWS. Caddy
8. Geel (?trade) Curtin 
9. Ess. Wilson 
10. Adel. O’Sullivan 
11 Melb ???

Plenty to play out but Twomey usually gets it right at the top

I know on Gettable, Cal said every club had talked to Leake, but has Cal specifically mentioned MFC anywhere?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2021 said:

I know on Gettable, Cal said every club had talked to Leake, but has Cal specifically mentioned MFC anywhere?

Cal’s had Caddy and Curtin to us but I don’t think either have been definitive, both seem to be based on his order. He’s been stronger on the top 5 than any link to us.

The link to Leake comes from the HS.

He’s been strong on Windsor as a top 10/top 12 pick. Which means us, GWS, Geel, Adel or Ess. That surprises me a bit.  

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Put together a 1st round mock without trades, will attempt one later with trade guesses which will be laughably inaccurate.

I've tried to be a little different, combining my rankings with media speculation and guessing club needs to a degree. I've started out with WC bidding on Walter as he would combine perfectly with Allen to be a dominant key forward pair, GC will obviously match but will be paying full price.

With apologies to SA and WA prospects who I just don't see enough of throughout the year outside of champs.

1. GC - Walter (NGA)

2. WC - Reid

3. NM - Duursma

4. NM - McKercher

5. HW - Watson

6. WB - Sanders

7. MELB - Leake

8. GC - Read (NGA)

9. GWS - Curtin

10. GEEL - Caddy

11. ESS - Windsor

12. GC - Rogers (NGA)

13. ADE - Wilson

14. MELB - O'Sullivan

15. SYD - Murphy

16. WB - Croft (f/s)

17. StK - Simpson

18. ADE - M Edwards

19. NM - Collard

20. GWS - Tholstrup

21. NM - Morris

22. HAW - McCabe (f/s) 

23. NM - Schoenmaker

24. COLL - Hastie

25. ADE - DeMattia 

26. StK - Hardeman

27. CAR - Jiath

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Nascent Cooper Simpson at 17.  He’s a hard one to consider where he will get drafted. I think around mid 2nd round but could be a surprise late first rounder given his strong 2022, overall midfield package (pace,skill,tenacity) and his leadership. Injuries didn’t help his 2023. He apparently impressed the Dees with his training apprenticeship last year at the club. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

@Nascent Cooper Simpson at 17.  He’s a hard one to consider where he will get drafted. I think around mid 2nd round but could be a surprise late first rounder given his strong 2022, overall midfield package (pace,skill,tenacity) and his leadership. Injuries didn’t help his 2023. He apparently impressed the Dees with his training apprenticeship last year at the club. 

Think he’ll be a steal for whoever picks him up 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

The phantom drafts are dependent on the recruiters giving information to the journalist who the club is interested in, at one stage WB was sold on Watson now its Sanders because Hawthorn saw something in Watson.

If Curtain is there when we have a pick his upside is tremendous plays Forward, Back and Midfield.

• Like 4

Honestly James Leake looks like a better forward than Nate Caddy. re-watching his highlights i'd definitely take him 6, he looks like he could be a really good player in any area of the ground. reminds me of Shaun Burgoyne in that way

• Like 5

6 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yep, difficult year for him due to injuries. With a draft fairly devoid of genuine midfielders I feel he may appeal to a club looking to add to their stocks. I like he's game and those traits you mentioned I think are AFL quality. I don't really rate St Kildas midfield and they traded for Dow in the hope he will provide some burst from stoppage. Think Simpson will provide that for them with a couple years development.

• Like 1

Q for experts - do any feel that there may be some degree of reluctance to take Tasmanians “all things being equal” (which of course they never are) given the presumed concessions for the Tasmanian franchise in the next year or two - maybe??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Q for experts - do any feel that there may be some degree of reluctance to take Tasmanians “all things being equal” (which of course they never are) given the presumed concessions for the Tasmanian franchise in the next year or two - maybe??

Gonna be pretty hard for Tassie to meet their milestones before fielding team. 

A not-yet-funded stadium, possible change in state govt at the next election (current opposition against the stadium), not a shovel of soil turned yet, some local protests and resentment, sponsorships to be found.....

I believe Whispering Jack made reference to this a couple of weeks ago after a recent conversation he had with an former Tassie premier

A lot to happen before a team gets going down there. I wonder if Gil made it just a touch too difficult for this to get off the ground

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, monoccular said:

No expert but the AFL are so hoorendously unpredictable you could get massive compensation for Tassie players returning home.

We've just got to take best available regardless of where they are from

• Like 2