• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

23 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

I don't think Gold Coast are getting enough advantages 🙄

Their next 5 years of Academy players are all the best too, Dimma knows what he's doing, go to a club where the AFL wants them to win and will do anything they can. I wonder when they restrict the zoning they get, probably after their 2nd three peat I imagine

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:30 PM, samcantstandya said:

We won't have more than 3 picks in the draft when you factor Daniel Turner upgrade to the senior list in 2024. One of them will probably be K Brown as a senior/rookie pick. So I understand why we want to package them and dry for one. However, it's looking like West Coast are in the box seat over Adelaide. So North will finish last. No Reid deal unfortunately. So let's get 2 top ten players from Duursma, McKercher, Watson or O'Connor and go from there. 

I think this all changed today with the season and maybe career ending g injuries to Melksham & Dunstan. Spots open up

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, layzie said:

Imagine if the list manager came here for ideas..

Imagine that.. trade period 2023, post T. Lamb reading Demonland.. 

Lamb: We’ve offered pick 4, 18 and a future first for West Coasts pick 1 and a future second, we actually have an “in-principal” deal with them. We’d then like to split pick 1 with North for picks 2 and 3 and we’re also going to throw in our future second. We’ll then split pick 3 and trade that to Adelaide their first round this year and their first next year with a third rounder also going their way. Pick 3 we may retain but may also float it for the right price. 

• Haha 2

In all honesty, I can’t stop thinking that a version of the following will eventuate...

I steadfastly believe we are in the box seat for the flag. Even if we only come close to a flag, as the trade period approaches the questions will be asked by some predictable media bozos like Robbo (ignoring the mechanics of how it came about) of “how is it that the premier (or close to it) can possibly end up with the number 1 pick? What happened to equalisation? It’s not working”

Following this, the AFL will made a private edict to North Melb that they may have access to assistance only on the proviso that any early pick be traded to Westcoast for pick 1, enabling:

- the number 1 pick to go to a team seen by the general footy public as “deserving”;

- North to get the assistance they desperately crave and improve considerably;

- Westcoast to get paid over the odds for pick 1, providing an engineered result where they are able to rebuild quicker than normal with multiple early picks they have not “earned”, somewhat avoiding a situation where the turgid performances roll on with no end in sight;

- (Momentarily) rid the AFL of ghastly teams that turn out putrid performances on repeat & create effectively a number of bye rounds;

- the right look and feel, as far as the AFL are concerned; and

- ultimately probably the best outcome for MFC, saving us from ourselves and we end up using goldcoasts pick to snare us a combo like Duursma & O’Sullivan.

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

The issue I see here is that I think WC could take Curtin at 1 and Nth will snap up Harley 

Nah the draft media are overwhelmingly saying Reid is the number 1. If North get gifted a dream draft hand they’ll at least make an offer to switch from 2 to 1. 

There’s 3 big obstacles against us getting Reid.

1. The Eagles don’t get cute with go home factor or trying to get multiple picks and just take him straight up

2. North might have a monster draft hand and are massively incentivised to use it 

3. The eagles might be willing to trade back to get Curtin but he could go at picks 2-5 and we’ll have at best pick 6, or even the Suns pick 4 is likely 5-6 when it gets used. With Curtin moving up draft boards it’s hard to see how far back the eagles would go. 

All 3 are potential dangers 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Nah the draft media are overwhelmingly saying Reid is the number 1. If North get gifted a dream draft hand they’ll at least make an offer to switch from 2 to 1. 

There’s 3 big obstacles against us getting Reid.

1. The Eagles don’t get cute with go home factor or trying to get multiple picks and just take him straight up

2. North might have a monster draft hand and are massively incentivised to use it 

3. The eagles might be willing to trade back to get Curtin but he could go at picks 2-5 and we’ll have at best pick 6, or even the Suns pick 4 is likely 5-6 when it gets used. With Curtin moving up draft boards it’s hard to see how far back the eagles would go. 

All 3 are potential dangers 

I think the biggest obstacle is Curtain, you'd assume the reason that WCE trade out is to get Curtain and another, but there is no guarantee curtain will be there at 4-5, he is the best KPD in the draft and something any bottom team needs. Why would WCE risk giving up Reid and then not getting what I can assume is their guy in Curtain in a trade.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If North get Pick 3 for McKay, I expect they'll trade Pick 2 & 3 to West Coast for Pick 1 and steak knives (maybe Gaff after all).

This gives North access to Reid, West Coast will take Curtain at 2 and use 3 on another mid. Will leave us in the cold, but I'd be happy if we got Watson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

If North get Pick 3 for McKay, I expect they'll trade Pick 2 & 3 to West Coast for Pick 1 and steak knives (maybe Gaff after all).

This gives North access to Reid, West Coast will take Curtain at 2 and use 3 on another mid. Will leave us in the cold, but I'd be happy if we got Watson.

If WCE weren't so keen on Curtin we could get pick 1 Reid, suppose we won't know till draft night who North & Hawks will pick as Gold Coast will go for their man. Hopefully North & Dorks go for midfielders then it can work eg McKercher or  Duursma, or a forward like Watson. Otherwise we trade up and get 2 top 10 picks and choose from these 3 and a tall like O'Connor. Then we go for father/son Brown as a late pick/rookie. So we have 3 picks or more if we delist Dunstan, Melks(harsh) ??? /trade Harmes ?, Tomlinson?? Jordon FA, /buy out contracted players like B Brown, McDonald?? etc 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

This would be a stunning trade if you're right. At face value, pick 2 and 3 is equal to pick 1 and 6.  Even if you adjust for the belief Reid is better than your average no. 1 draft pick, North would be expecting at least a 1st rounder back. 

But even more stunning if Clarkson would be on board. He's already mentioned during the weekend only 3 number 1 picks have played in premierships. During his time at Hawthorn he was a big believer of older seasoned players over draft capital. (Having said that he had Hodge, Lewis , Franklin, Roughhead in the sheds already). Sure, it's slightly different here at North, but I just don't think he's into shiny new toys at that price. Also, they really need some older players in since Cunnington, McKay, Ziebel all are gone.     

• Like 1

Just now, Jjrogan said:

This would be a stunning trade if you're right. At face value, pick 2 and 3 is equal to pick 1 and 6.  Even if you adjust for the belief Reid is better than your average no. 1 draft pick, North would be expecting at least a 1st rounder back. 

But even more stunning if Clarkson would be on board. He's already mentioned during the weekend only 3 number 1 picks have played in premierships. During his time at Hawthorn he was a big believer of older seasoned players over draft capital. (Having said that he had Hodge, Lewis , Franklin, Roughhead in the sheds already). Sure, it's slightly different here at North, but I just don't think he's into shiny new toys at that price. Also, they really need some older players in since Cunnington, McKay, Ziebel all are gone.     

In saying that, one of those in Hodge won 4 flags and he was coach so I’m sure he rates the pick higher than he is stating.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

fwiw, good source tells me we're 'odds on' to get pick 4 from gc17

pick 1 is 'up for discussion' if the above happens - i assume cos we're looking at bundling 4 and 5 for 1

i'm all for it

I’m all for it depending on what comes with pick 1.

4&5 is a lot to give up. Harley would want to be even better than I already I think he is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jjrogan said:

Clarko won 4 flags building via the draft (which some vital top ups) and got fired building via trades. He was right to pump his side up after the win and say they’d get a good player at pick 2. But I expect they’ll make a compelling offer for Reid. I know he’s had Dusty comparisons but to me the player he mosts reminds me of with his left foot, physical style and country background is Luke Hodge.

I still hold out hope they don’t get pick 3 but even if they do I think they’d look to deal 2, their own future first and Port’s first rather than 2 and 3. That’s still an amazing deal for the Eagles if they are cold on Reid.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

I think the biggest obstacle is Curtain, you'd assume the reason that WCE trade out is to get Curtain and another, but there is no guarantee curtain will be there at 4-5, he is the best KPD in the draft and something any bottom team needs. Why would WCE risk giving up Reid and then not getting what I can assume is their guy in Curtain in a trade.

I don’t think he’s the best key defender in the draft, but he could be the 2nd best midfielder in the draft 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

fwiw, good source tells me we're 'odds on' to get pick 4 from gc17

pick 1 is 'up for discussion' if the above happens - i assume cos we're looking at bundling 4 and 5 for 1

i'm all for it

How do we end up getting pick 4 and keeping pick 5?

2 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I reckon footy fans and the media are talking themselves into believing Curtin is more prominent around that 1 position than he actually is…

Cal had him at 6 in his latest draft