• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

On 7/23/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jaded No More said:

I’d consider him, especially if Tommo leaves or we are still keen on Petty forward. 
May will be on the wrong side of 30 next year. 

May will turn 32 in January next year. Probably has two years left, maybe three. Key defenders of his quality don't come along very often.

• Like 1

I'm no expert on recruiting junior talent, but I have taken notice of what Brisbane have managed to do by adding a top tier junior player 

Brisbane were a contender, but needed to find another gear. They added Ashcroft, and also Fletcher and dunkley and now have arguably one of the best lists, if not the best list in the AFL.

It's the Ashcroft pick that lifted that side immediately. Reid would have that impact for us.

Our premiership window is open now, and may close in 2-3 years. Get Reid, chase another flag.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Dee-monic said:

May will turn 32 in January next year. Probably has two years left, maybe three. Key defenders of his quality don't come along very often.

I’d think McKay would be very happy to be assessed as being the same quality as May.

Reports of McKay’s competency are a gross misconception.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Seems to be a general vibe in here that we're either paying overs or it's a foregone conclusion that west coast will gladly take pick 4 and what will probably be Pick 15-18x2. Not a chance in hell. We need to trade up and accrue another top 10 pick, or we need to do a deal with our 3 firsts with the Kangas pick 2 and hope that West Coast will swap 1 and 2 in good faith, rather than take Reid and then trust that this Curtin lad will request a trade in 2 years .

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

MELBOURNE

Draft picks: 4, 15, 23, 34

List chasm: The Demons could do with a connector to help their forward-half efficiency issues. Simon Goodwin’s side this season is ranked 12th for scores per inside 50 and 13th for kicks inside 50 retention rate. There’s been some improvement in this area in recent weeks, but the footy world probably needs a greater sample size before declaring the Demons’ issue has been fixed. It’s clearly a team problem to an extent, but could also be helped by personnel via the draft.

Ideal draft prospects: Melbourne has an absolutely stacked draft hand to work with. In an ideal world, either Launceston star Colby McKercher — a Zach Merrett-like midfielder with great inside-outside balance, composure, burst from stoppage, terrific workrate, agility and an excellent left-foot kick — slips to their pick, or fellow Tassie ball magnet Ryley Sanders — an ultra-consistent midfielder who’s clean by hand and foot and explosive out of stoppage that, ultimately, could be pre-listed by North Melbourne — ends up in the open draft. Another option could be Eastern Ranges’ Nick Watson, who’s a superstar goalsneak yet an astute and clean ball user up the field that could appeal to the Demons. Other options later in the draft could be Eastern Ranges’ Caleb Windsor, Tasmania’s Arie Schoenmaker, GWV Rebels’ Joel Freijah and Sandringham Dragons’ Archie Roberts.

Taken from Fox Footy Article. No mention of Reid. As previously mentioned I hope we go down this path. We are in a premiership window now and connectors or quality outside players are currently the missing piece of the puzzle. Get 2 quality ball users for the now and the future. Looking ahead we need to think about losing May, BBB and TMac. We also need to figure out is a Petty a forward or defender so consider trading in a ready made Key position player. to fill a void there while Jefferson develops.Beyond that it’s Viney and Trac which we can draft for there are plenty of mids in every draft and I back this current recruiting team to find some quality. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

MELBOURNE

List chasm: The Demons could do with a connector to help their forward-half efficiency issues. Simon Goodwin’s side this season is ranked 12th for scores per inside 50 and 13th for kicks inside 50 retention rate. There’s been some improvement in this area in recent weeks, but the footy world probably needs a greater sample size before declaring the Demons’ issue has been fixed. It’s clearly a team problem to an extent, but could also be helped by personnel via the draft.

Ideal draft prospects: Melbourne has an absolutely stacked draft hand to work with. In an ideal world, either Launceston star Colby McKercher — a Zach Merrett-like midfielder with great inside-outside balance, composure, burst from stoppage, terrific workrate, agility and an excellent left-foot kick — slips to their pick, or fellow Tassie ball magnet Ryley Sanders — an ultra-consistent midfielder who’s clean by hand and foot and explosive out of stoppage that, ultimately, could be pre-listed by North Melbourne — ends up in the open draft. Another option could be Eastern Ranges’ Nick Watson, who’s a superstar goalsneak yet an astute and clean ball user up the field that could appeal to the Demons. Other options later in the draft could be Eastern Ranges’ Caleb Windsor, Tasmania’s Arie Schoenmaker, GWV Rebels’ Joel Freijah and Sandringham Dragons’ Archie Roberts.

Taken from Fox Footy Article. No mention of Reid. As previously mentioned I hope we go down this path. We are in a premiership window now and connectors or quality outside players are currently the missing piece of the puzzle. Get 2 quality ball users for the now and the future. Looking ahead we need to think about losing May, BBB and TMac. We also need to figure out is a Petty a forward or defender so consider trading in a ready made Key position player. to fill a void there while Jefferson develops.Beyond that it’s Viney and Trac which we can draft for there are plenty of mids in every draft and I back this current recruiting team to find some quality. 

The issue is I have heard rumours that the AFL plan to give North a band 1 compo for losing McKay and may also give them academy access to Sanders.

If this happens, North will likely be taking Watson, McKercher and Sanders.

• Like 2
  • Vomit 1

8 hours ago, Dee-monic said:

100%

Would be great having a replacement key pillar for another decade. 

• Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

The issue is I have heard rumours that the AFL plan to give North a band 1 compo for losing McKay and may also give them academy access to Sanders.

I’d be surprised if the AFL gave them both access to Sanders and pick 3. Would be a massive hand out. It does seem like they are going to give them something though so maybe access to Sanders and end of first round compo?!

Regardless of what picks they end up with, would they take two more midfielders? They already have Sheezel, Wardlaw, LDU and Powell as mids who went in the top 5. Simpkin was another first round pick. 
If they get Sanders I’m not so sure they will take another mid with a high end pick as they could do with another key forward along side Larkey and another key defender with McKay going.  Even if they bring in someone like Tommo they need more young talent coming through in key positions. 
Im wondering if Mckercher is the one we should target. Trade up for Norths pick. 

• Like 5

I’ve always been against the idea of going all in on 1 kid but I’m coming round to the idea.

He can play anywhere and influence games which is very, very rare.

Using Gus as an example, he is recognised for his versatility. Reid would likely be an upgrade on him across the entire ground. More damaging than Gus from the middle, more damaging from HB and certainly more damaging up forward. Not to mention foot skills and athleticism that Gus could only dream of - I realise Gus is a very good footballer but he’s not Harley Reid.

In short, go all in for Reid

Edited by BW511
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Colm said:

I’d be surprised if the AFL gave them both access to Sanders and pick 3. Would be a massive hand out. It does seem like they are going to give them something though so maybe access to Sanders and end of first round compo?!

Regardless of what picks they end up with, would they take two more midfielders? They already have Sheezel, Wardlaw, LDU and Powell as mids who went in the top 5. Simpkin was another first round pick. 
If they get Sanders I’m not so sure they will take another mid with a high end pick as they could do with another key forward along side Larkey and another key defender with McKay going.  Even if they bring in someone like Tommo they need more young talent coming through in key positions. 
Im wondering if Mckercher is the one we should target. Trade up for Norths pick. 

Agree with everything you’ve said. Would also be pretty Ballsy to take two Tasmanians. Sanders the safer bet for them as he is boarding at Melbourne Grammar and part of their Next Generation Academy so may be less of a flight risk. Having said that I do hope we target McKercher as he fills a need and hope we back in our culture and development to retain him if / when a Tasmanian team enters the AFL.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

You can only hope common sense prevails because that is massive overs and a huge leg up for Norf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

I 100% agree, Reid will have the instant impact and will be able to play 50:50 forward mid with Trac or 70:30 depending on the game, but those two tassie boys excite me heaps for their inside outside mix and speed and kicking skills and i'd prefer what they've shown so far compared to a Duursma/Caddy/Curtain type

• Like 4

On 7/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, fr_ap said:

Agree with this entirely.

Duursma has some slightly concerning traits for a player projected to become a top end mid. Not sure he has (or can develop) the physicality required - he's not a natural 'contact' player to me. At his height, he'll always be a bit of a tweener and coaches will be tempted to play him forward which will hamper his development. Think Nik Cox - all the talent in the world, but a little soft, and between body types means hes never developed as a wing, ruck or forward properly. 

any love for Caddy for the exact opposite reasons above.

Small tall fwd/tall mid, but has the physicality that maybe Duursma lacks?????

2 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Totally agree.... but just preparing everyone in the event it does happen.

I've been flip flopping on whether it is worth trading picks up for Reid.

But if North do get the double gift, leaning more in favour of doing it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Adzman said:

I'm no expert on recruiting junior talent, but I have taken notice of what Brisbane have managed to do by adding a top tier junior player 

Brisbane were a contender, but needed to find another gear. They added Ashcroft, and also Fletcher and dunkley and now have arguably one of the best lists, if not the best list in the AFL.

It's the Ashcroft pick that lifted that side immediately. Reid would have that impact for us.

Our premiership window is open now, and may close in 2-3 years. Get Reid, chase another flag.

I disagree. The one player that has had the biggest impact at Brisbane is Dunkley. He is the best defensive midfielder in the business and runs both ways. Dont need his skills they are elite ball users all over the park. Their biggest weakness was their defensive side . 

Not saying Fletcher / Ashcroft havent had their value, but Dunkley was the key acquisition which has made them a far better team. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I disagree. The one player that has had the biggest impact at Brisbane is Dunkley. He is the best defensive midfielder in the business and runs both ways. Dont need his skills they are elite ball users all over the park. Their biggest weakness was their defensive side . 

Not saying Fletcher / Ashcroft havent had their value, but Dunkley was the key acquisition which has made them a far better team. 

This and the development of Jack Payne into a very solid defender allowing Harris Andrews more freedom, Ashcroft is just part of this. With him being done for the year I don't think the Lions odds of winning have changed much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

This and the development of Jack Payne into a very solid defender allowing Harris Andrews more freedom, Ashcroft is just part of this. With him being done for the year I don't think the Lions odds of winning have changed much.

Let's not forget Keidean Coleman who is basically Daniel Rich with pace! 

6 hours ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

MELBOURNE

The potential for Reid to Melbourne comes up in West Coast's write up:

Ideal draft prospects: If the Eagles hold Pick 1 and Harley Reid is genuinely happy to go anywhere in the country to start his AFL career, the Eagles have to take him. A versatile 185cm star Reid is considered a generational talent – one experienced recruiter told foxfooty.com.auearlier this year Reid was the best prospect they’d ever seen – and would be hard to pass up if there was a genuine chance you could get him. He’s drawn comparisons to Dustin Martin and plays with an infectious attitude, yet he can play across any line — and win games from any line — with his power at stoppages, overhead marking ability, penetrating kick and knack for hitting the scoreboard consistently. Regardless of Reid’s preference, the Eagles still face a significant call on whether to hold their first pick or trade it away to acquire multiple selections and help accelerate their rebuild. Multiple clubs suggested to foxfooty.com.au last week the Eagles would be prepared to slide down the order if they could ‘guarantee’ they could still draft Daniel Curtin – WA’s top prospect who West Coast has strong interest in, according to rival clubs. For example, a deal with Melbourne (who currently have Pick 4, via Fremantle, plus 15 and 23) could work. The fact there’s a decent WA-based crop in this year’s draft pool makes splitting Pick 1 a more enticing option for the Eagles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

MFC can definitely pick up Reid if the Eagles want to recruit local players in the ND. 

But we cannot give them our top three  picks. Thats ridiculous.

Give them 4, 23  and a quality fringe player  ie. JJ 

I disagree. If we can land Reid with those picks and still keep our first rounder for next year then that's a win in my view.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

MFC can definitely pick up Reid if the Eagles want to recruit local players in the ND. 

Yep. If we were to give them all 3 I'd be expecting a quality pick back like an early second. 

4 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

While you're at it why not see if they will chuck in Allen. 

Clubs will offer much better than you are suggesting. You are acting as if they are having a firesale.

FYI. JJ is a FA so you can't include him in your trade dealings.

Your understanding of the word ridiculous is quite humorous.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Hahahaha in what world is that going to get you pick 1? 

• Like 1