POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

32 minutes ago, Beetle said:

If Collingwood won that game against GC like we did tonight, everyone out there would be continuing to marvel at how they manage to grind games out. 

I’m happy with the win. Gold Coast are no joke. 

I don't agree. It's Collingwood coming from behind that captures those reactions.  We never trailed, which is actually more impressive 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Almost lost it at selection. As soon as Dew named Casboult it was clear we would have to make a late change to bring in another tall. The most obvious choice was probably bringing back Schache or BBB and send Petty back, but instead Goody has the bright idea of bringing in a second gamer who was overwhelmed. Petty ain’t a forward. He has no forward craft and when he does mark up the ground, he’s not a good enough kick inside fifty. At least Schache has a good leg on him in that regard. 

I actually didn’t think May was that bad. He kept King basically statless but he did let Chol take a couple of grabs when he was on him. My biggest take out from the game is that Petty needs to go back. The experiment is over. It should just be Schache, BBB and Tmac competing for that one spot. Also, the Suns are a good side. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make finals.

For those saying we were lucky with the umps in the last qtr, maybe so, but geez we blew some chances. Fritsch missed two regulation shots and Trac completely burnt Grundy in the last few mins.

Nope, they play a couple of games like this a year and then slide downhill. 

I like the no stress games like last week despite how boring they are.

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Our tall forward problem is our big weakness.

I agree and I think that's why it's been musical chairs in those positions this season. 

I think BBB and JVR will be the best combo. Petty goes down back. 

16 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Some people will never be happy. We're top of the ladder with a 6-2 record. 

I prefer the look of this year than last tbh. We’re having a look into the squad depth and still getting the wins on the board. Winning ugly is fine by me

I hope and in fact I’m sure the club isn’t happy to get smashed in contested possessions when we are a contest first team. Just because you’re winning doesn’t mean you can’t improve. This is a very soft part of our draw. We took an easy kill against Norf and we will have an easy kill most likely next week. But get smashed in the contest like we did tonight against Port, Carlton, Pies, GWS or Geelong and we will likely lose. 
There is a lot to like about this season, but there is a lot to work on as well. Every team is in the same boat luckily. There isn’t one side that is miles ahead of us. But what is clear is that so far, fast ball movement thru the corridor and extreme pressure in the contest is the way to beat us, so we have to get better at it, because unfortunately our biggest threats this season play exactly this way. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I've been switching between this thread and the coronation.

I'm getting some great costuming ideas for The Manor's domestic staff!

From birthday suits to bearskin caps!

Outstanding Uncle

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I hope and in fact I’m sure the club isn’t happy to get smashed in contested possessions when we are a contest first team. Just because you’re winning doesn’t mean you can’t improve.  

We're wired up differently. After a decade or longer of being a weak team I enjoy every MFC win that I get to watch. I'd love to see another flag but I don't let myself get stressed about our form and whether we're the best team on the comp in round 8. 

Edited by DemonWA
Typo
  • Like 7

Just now, DemonWA said:

We're wired up differently. After a decade or longer of being a weak team I enjoy every MFC win that I get to watch. I'd love to see another flag but I don't let myself get stressed about out form and whether we're the best team on the comp in round 8. 

To each their own. 

I’ve waited decades for us to be a legitimate flag contender. These windows are fleeting and they may not come around again for a long long time (especially with yet another new club coming in). I would hate for us to just be happy with home and away wins, because as we saw last year, it meant nothing in the end. 
We have to take advantage of the list that we have. It’s too good to not win another flag. And with Gawn, May, Hibbo all getting closer and closer to the end, and the competition being so even, we need to strike while the iron is hot. 

To only win one flag with this list would be a real underachievement. And to not win one at home in front of those of us who have waited their whole lives, would be heartbreaking. 

• Like 3

Well, where do i start and end. This game was spoiled by the very inconsistent efforts by what the industry calls umpires.

In this game they weren't umpires. They very rarely paid marks. They very rarely paid interference to marks. 

We were not beaten by a good Team. We were nearly beaten by an  extremely fortunate team and  some, as usual bewildering decisions. The difference between last week and this week was rank. To an observer you can tell when the smaller players aren't going to be protected.  Their(umpires) fine art now is to penalize but make it so its not that obvious and by three qtr time they had nearly run out of tricks. The one i did notice though was how the protected one behind the person on the mark definitely only applies to us. Just so sick of such poor performances, both on and off in the media. They don't even bother hiding it anymore. Sad when there is plenty of younger blokes with footy commentating nous, they still manage to regurgitate  old hacks, who should be doing Bingo calling. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

From birthday suits to bearskin caps!

Outstanding Uncle

Did you see the backless waitresses for Charlie 3?

Whilst it was fun to watch, I'm glad Fritsch's goal scoring games streak is over.

Seemed like he was pretty aware of it, particularly in the last when he still hadn't got one and probably tried a bit too hard.

Haven't seen him shank like that for a long time.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I hope and in fact I’m sure the club isn’t happy to get smashed in contested possessions when we are a contest first team. Just because you’re winning doesn’t mean you can’t improve. This is a very soft part of our draw. We took an easy kill against Norf and we will have an easy kill most likely next week. But get smashed in the contest like we did tonight against Port, Carlton, Pies, GWS or Geelong and we will likely lose. 
There is a lot to like about this season, but there is a lot to work on as well. Every team is in the same boat luckily. There isn’t one side that is miles ahead of us. But what is clear is that so far, fast ball movement thru the corridor and extreme pressure in the contest is the way to beat us, so we have to get better at it, because unfortunately our biggest threats this season play exactly this way. 

On the CP point, I'm not sure losing it is as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

Firstly, we are 6-2 despite being currently 7th for CP average differential this season (at +2).

Gold Coast are 3rd on that ranking, so they are a strong CP side. It's no surprise that a midfield of Witts, Rowell and Anderson (normally also Miller) will be strong in that area. We don't need to be better than everyone at it.

Of the sides you've mentioned, Geelong's only marginally better than us (6th at +2.4), GWS are 16th and Port's 14th.

Carlton's 2nd, at +10.1, but if you think Carlton winning CPs = Carlton winning games, you're not watching Carlton in season 2023.

Finally, the line "fast ball movement thru the corridor and extreme pressure in the contest is the way to beat us" is silly - that's the way to beat every side. We're no different to anyone else. Gold Coast brought extreme pressure today. We handled it well enough to never let them take the lead.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SPC said:

Didn’t watch the game due to an event. Should I give the replay a miss? 

No. It was a terrific game.

Hard, fierce contest from go to whoa.

The suns were impressive.

And our accuracy reverted to the mean

But Maxy, tracc (how about thst goal?) Oliver and Viney stood up and won us the game. Worth watching just for that. Generational stars. 

We won another last quarter, meaning we have yet to lose one this season. 

Kozzie did some brilliant things in the first half. And brodie roved Max and snapped a goal.

The last minute was pulsating.

They had a shot to ensure at least a draw.

I won't tell you what happened next (note to self: what was may thinking?).

It would have been no shame to draw (the most likey result if that set shot had been a goal) so to get four points is a fantastic result.

A lot to like.

Or you could watch a couple episodes of MAFS instead.

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

On the umpiring, I get it, that was a free against Gawn to Chol, but all the rage online about us being gifted the win from the umpires seems a touch rich to me given that in the final two minutes alone and before that Chol marking contest:

1. Viney gets shirtfronted after disposing of the ball with no free/50; and
  2. Anderson gets caught stone cold holding the ball on our forward 50 after trying to side step JVR then throwing it out of the tackle
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Its amusing to compare the amount of respect GCS got in the pre match thread with the lack of respect they get in the post match thread.  4 points against a tough contested team away from home, great result. 

• Like 12
  • Clap 1

50 minutes ago, old dee said:

Last week I said the suns would be hard to beat and got canned for being negative. Hmm!

But you’re happy with the result yeah od? When someone is hard to beat and you actually beat them it means it’s a pretty good win.

• Like 3

I think some people are underestimating the Suns. They are a good team, not a top 8 team ATM but they are getting there. How good was Anderson? Almost single handily won them the game. Good win against tough opposition I'd take that any day of the week. If we struggle against the Hawks then I'll be worried about the team's form. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

On the umpiring, I get it, that was a free against Gawn to Chol, but all the rage online about us being gifted the win from the umpires seems a touch rich to me given that in the final two minutes alone and before that Chol marking contest:

2. Anderson gets caught stone cold holding the ball on our forward 50 after trying to side step JVR then throwing it out of the tackle

Ben King gifted two goals in the 3rd, Hunter paid HTB after cleanly habdballing it away, May getting knocked down after a mark and no 50, multiple occasions of paying a free out of a stoppage only for advantage to be paid after players have all stopped to see which way the free kick is going (the umpires are not meant to pay advantage out of a stoppage) etc etc

Plenty more examples if I could be bothered to go back and check.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Hunter’s cooked and Grundy’s a headless chook so there goes our recruits from last year.

Fritsch needs a wake up call.

Chandler’s struggling with his leg, had no explosiveness in the second half. 

I thought Oliver had left behind these shocker games in 2020 but he’s had a few this year now.

May and Lever madness bubbling along. Petty could help but he gives no offensive drive and that’s how the ball gets stuck at the wrong end. Disco was really coming in to the game late in the 3rd with some intercept marks, not sure they subbed the right guy.

When a team turns up the pressure and speed and we can’t get the backline set we’re coughing up goals.

And our ball movement just becomes gimmicky or bombing because too few of our players make quick accurate decisions.

And I thought I gave the Billie a fair crack on the weekends!

Kudos to you sir. 

Edited by McQueen
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, demon3165 said:

The most overrated word in football is disposals yeah he got 28 disposals, half went to the opposition or nowhere if anything it should be effective disposals, Oliver is a great player but has a habit of playing on and rushing it on the boot without looking, as I have said before he needs to slow down a fraction before disposing of it, just like Cripps or the Bont.

Absolute BS. Half of his possessions went to the opposition or nowhere? Pulling words out of your backside and stating them with confidence doesn't make them correct. You're comparing Oliver with Cripps & Bont. Bont is a fantastic player but Oliver is twice the player thay Cripps is on his body of work over his career to date. One Brownlow doesn't make you a star, it means you played well for a year in a reasonable side and had no-one competing with you for votes. 

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

In my opinion we haven’t yet beaten any really good opposition. Sydney and Dogs are just ok. Brisbane killed us and we got very lucky against the Suns. And outside of that we’ve beaten 3 sides destined for a bottom 4-6 finish  

We've lost 2 games and there were extenuating circumstances in both. We beat Sydney when they were pretty much at full strength, unlike others. No side is looking invincible right now. I agree we have 15 to play and some are against some strong opposition but they are will all be as wary of us as we will be of them.  

1 hour ago, jayceebee31 said:

Agree- the coaching panel really need to take a good hard look at themselves,we are terribly  of form ,both Casey and Dees   - we need to settle these sides down.

Rubbish. Casey lost today in Queensland by 20 points to an unbeaten Gold Coast (6 Wins, 173.8%) but admittedly had a poor loss by a couple of goals to Richmond a few weeks back. Still 5-2, and a percentage of 137.1% is not too shabby. Today they were missing key midfielders Jimmy Munro & Luke Dunstan, Disco Turner a late out, TMac out with a sprained ankle.... Neither side need to be settled down. Plenty of time for that.

1 hour ago, Travy14 said:

Oliver went at 79% efficiency tonight

Don't try to influence posters views by citing actual facts. What are you thinking of?

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

I also remember when the Dogs won their premiership that they would win a couple more that was then this is now.

No, from memory in 2016 no-one expected the Bulldogs to win that year or that it would be start of a dynasty. In any case after 2021 Melbourne finished 2nd before Finals. We are hardly showing signs of being a one-hit wonder. I'm not being complacent but maybe people shouldn't be overreacting. 6-2, percentage of 138.3%, travelled to Queensland twice, Adelaide, Perth in the first 8 weeks...

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Suns v Dees 

frustration and then relief in Dees 5 point win 

Suns won 

contested possessions 149-123

clearances 42-36

marks 94-66

Dees won

tackles 66-44

inside 50s 61-45  (but low impact inside 50) 

Dees overhandballing again

Dees kicks 177 handballs 146  

Suns more effective with the footy

Suns 227 kicks 121 handballs 

Thanks for quoting the Inside 50s & Tackles differential. Shows it wasn't all bad. Oh, and I forgot. We won the match.

• Like 4

Just finished the late reply.   We don't like playing up there in the dew...Gold Coast are definitely building a good core to their side.

So that has Broken Fritter's run of a goal a game.  He wasn't there tonight with his kicking. 

Edited by darkhorse72

39 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

We got the better of the umpires in the fourth quarter but the Suns were well favored in the third by getting 4 frees in front of goal for 3 goals 1. The only time the commentators made reference to the umpires in the third was when Fritsch arm slapped the Suns defender to stop him marking (which was probably a free) and Kozzie ran in to goal.

The commentators were openly barracking for the Suns. They're professionalism was pathetic. MFC should complain. They were the main instigators of people saying how lucky we were.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Absolute BS. Half of his possessions went to the opposition or nowhere? Pulling words out of your backside and stating them with confidence doesn't make them correct. You're comparing Oliver with Cripps & Bont. Bont is a fantastic player but Oliver is twice the player thay Cripps is on his body of work over his career to date. One Brownlow doesn't make you a star, it means you played well for a year in a reasonable side and had no-one competing with you for votes. 

We've lost 2 games and there were extenuating circumstances in both. We beat Sydney when they were pretty much at full strength, unlike others. No side is looking invincible right now. I agree we have 15 to play and some are against some strong opposition but they are will all be as wary of us as we will be of them.  

Rubbish. Casey lost today in Queensland by 20 points to an unbeaten Gold Coast (6 Wins, 173.8%) but admittedly had a poor loss by a couple of goals to Richmond a few weeks back. Still 5-2, and a percentage of 137.1% is not too shabby. Today they were missing key midfielders Jimmy Munro & Luke Dunstan, Disco Turner a late out, TMac out with a sprained ankle.... Neither side need to be settled down. Plenty of time for that.

Don't try to influence posters views by citing actual facts. What are you thinking of?

No, from memory in 2016 no-one expected thde Bulldogs to win that year or that it would be start of a dynasty. In any case after 2021 Melbourne finished 2nd before Finals. We are hardly showing signs of being a one-hit wonder. I'm not being complacent but maybe people shouldn't be overreacting. 6-2, percentage of 138.3%, travelled to Queensland twice, Adelaide, Perth in the first 8 weeks...

Thanks for quoting the Inside 50s & Tackles differential. Shows it wasn't all bad. Oh, and I forgot. We won the match.

My my, been on the booze and missed out with a girl or guy tonight, you seem a little angry, settle down junior this is called a forum where one can express an opinion or do you want everyone just to agree with you, night night.

3 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

My my, been on the booze and missed out with a girl or guy tonight, you seem a little angry, settle down junior this is called a forum where one can express an opinion or do you want everyone just to agree with you, night night.

No mate. I'm not the one making comments based on nothing. And I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. I'll stick to responding to views expressed. I won't take the opportunity to insult you personally because I actually don't know anything about you as a person and I'm better than that. It appears you aren't but that's your issue, not mine. Night, night to you as well.

• Like 1