TRAINING: Monday 1st May, 2023

kev martin

54 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but does the "Concussion Protocol" (which sounds like a rejected Jason Bourne movie title) mean that players are not allowed to train until the 12 day minimum period has expired?

I thought that was the case until Spargo trained on the Sunday before the ANZAC eve clash (which he wasn't going to play in as a result of concussion) despite being concussed 8 days earlier against Essendon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I thought that was the case until Spargo trained on the Sunday before the ANZAC eve clash (which he wasn't going to play in as a result of concussion) despite being concussed 8 days earlier against Essendon.

Maybe because it was the captains run it was fine since it's not a competitive hit out? 

I have no idea how these protocols work... well clearly they don't... hence the lawsuits.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Maybe because it was the captains run it was fine since it's not a competitive hit out? 

I have no idea how these protocols work... well clearly they don't... hence the lawsuits.

Certainly the drills he took part in were non contact with just kicking, marking and handballing and some light running. Later when there was slightly more contact drills he did not participate.

However I remember hearing that during concussion protocols they weren't allowed to be at the club let alone train but I could be wrong and probably am. Obviously am because I doubt we would fragrantly break protocol at an Open Session.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 2

Thanks Kev and all posters, was Kozzie on the track and if so any excitement???

• Like 2

Spargo was at Casey running as part of the rehab group 6 days after his concussion in Gather round. Was during our main session before Anzac Eve. Not sure of the protocols either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

Pretty much, there's a bunch of things they have to check off first so 12 days is probably the min really. 

sure, but training is obviously different. i think the doctors do (probably) daily testing various things which determines when they can train and what training activities are allowable

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Certainly the drills he took part in were non contact with just kicking, marking and handballing and some light running. Later when there was slightly more contact drills he did not participate.

However I remember hearing that during concussion protocols they weren't allowed to be at the club let alone train but I could be wrong and probably am. Obviously am because I doubt we would fragrantly break protocol at an Open Session.

You'd think that a player going through concussion protocols would have to present at the club for monitoring and ongoing assessment. 

I'd imagine the protocols would give guidelines as to what level of training a player could undertake,  depending on what symptoms are being displayed.  Some might be told they can run laps. Others sent home and told to stay in a dark room.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

sure, but training is obviously different. i think the doctors do (probably) daily testing various things which determines when they can train and what training activities are allowable

Also depends on how much contact will be involved in a session I guess. 

• Like 1

I posted the community ones last week. The AFL protocol is available here. 

GUIDELINES FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF SPORT-RELATED CONCUSSION - AFL & AFLW

Its:-

• rest 
• daily activities
• light exercise
• moderate exercise
• moderate exercise and skills
• non contact training
• rest 
• limited contact
• rest
• full contact
• rest

If there’s no symptoms it’s 12 days minimum. But they have to match the days which might make today a rest day

A captains run could easily count as moderate exercise and skills more than team training if you limited a player to the warm up and isolated skill drills.

IMG_3203.thumb.jpeg.11adb0ebba43fe20d7e2da5ec7974359.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

29 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Makes sense. Maybe he did an indoor session today or maybe he’s on a rest day. I guess we will wait and see if he is at main training on Wednesday (?). 

Goodwin was very confident he will be back this week as he’s progressing well through the protocol. He was also very clear last week that Spargo is not ready, so clearly those two were having different progressions through the concussion. Spargo must have had it worse. 

• Like 2

I just got home. I can't remember seeing Rivers in with the group today. It could just be that I didn't notice him, and am starting a rumour, or old age is catching up.

The last two to leave the training track were, Viney doing personal training with Goody, and Oliver kicking goals under the supervision of Mark Williams. 

• Thanks 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, kev martin said:

I just got home. I can't remember seeing Rivers in with the group today. It could just be that I didn't notice him, and am starting a rumour, or old age is catching up.

The last two to leave the training track were, Viney doing personal training with Goody, and Oliver kicking goals under the supervision of Mark Williams. 

20 plus a year from Oliver takes his play to another level.

In 2021 he kicked 11. Last year 5 and this year 4 to date

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

I doubt we would fragrantly break protocol at an Open Session.

I know I'm being a smart-erse, but I love that "fragrantly".  "Fragrantly breaking protocol" - somehow this slides all over the place and makes me think of someone pharting at training.  Which actually  I still remember doing myself, in about 1965.

Ok, I've been drinking.  I think I might retire for a few months.  Sorry all - I love reading Demonland.  You are great guys..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thinking 1

The defence in 2021 was impregnable. It seems a lot more porous nowadays. Any thoughts on whether this is right or not and why. Have we been found out since then or are we just not functioning as well or is it a product of our more attacking gameplan. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Its Time for Another said:

The defence in 2021 was impregnable. It seems a lot more porous nowadays. Any thoughts on whether this is right or not and why. Have we been found out since then or are we just not functioning as well or is it a product of our more attacking gameplan. 

Very hard to support this.  In the two games we lost we were without Max and either May/Lever and a wonderful new kid in McVee learning the ropes.

Our lowest score has been 93 pts and our winning margins:

• 50pts (WBD scored 65 pts),
  • 50 points (Syd scored 84 pts),
  • 63 points (WCE scored 63 pts),
  • 18 pts (Tigers scored 78pts) and
  • 90 pts (North scored 49 pts)

Even in our two losses the ops score have been 2 and 4.5 goals.

That doesn't look like a porous defence to me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Very hard to support this.  In the two games we lost we were without Max and either May/Lever and a wonderful new kid in McVee learning the ropes.

Our lowest score has been 93 pts and our winning margins:

• 50pts (WBD scored 65 pts),
  • 50 points (Syd scored 84 pts),
  • 63 points (WCE scored 63 pts),
  • 18 pts (Tigers scored 78pts) and
  • 90 pts (North scored 49 pts)

Even in our two losses the ops score have been 2 and 4.5 goals.

That doesn't look like a porous defence to me. 

Still think we work and our defence works better with the Petty/Lever/May trio. Also because I don’t think Petty is a forward at all. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

Still think we work and our defence works better with the Petty/Lever/May trio. Also because I don’t think Petty is a forward at all. 

Petty provides a competitive strong marking option up forward, who also applies strong defensive pressure.  Unless and until BBB or TMcD show that they are fit / injury-free enough, and hit some form, surely Petty stays.  Maybe Disco can get a run as a third tall defender soon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

IMO it isn’t the best thing for JVR to have Petty and Gawn down there with him. Three blind mice all trying to act like they’re forwards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

Are you implying JVR is not a forward? Interesting. 

I’m implying he’s 19 and played a lot back in his junior days, I give him a lot of time because it is the hardest position on the field but from what I can see (and it is hard on TV) his leading patterns are a bit odd and he sometimes run himself out of position. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kev martin said:

Surely big bad Max is scheduled to do a goal kicking session with Choko sometime this week! (I love the big fella but I must admit I get mighty nervous at times when he is lining up in front of the big sticks).

• Like 3