Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

12 minutes ago, Macca said:

No, he's not that good (yet) ... as a forward, he has a requirement to get to the front position on every occasion

This he doesn't do but that's not to say he won't be a success.  He has a long way to go if the aim is B+ or A grade

Even the A graders are disciplined enough to know that playing in front increases a players chances of getting the ball immeasurably.  For instance, it's damn near impossible to win a free kick playing from behind in a marking contest

We've got the goal sneaks like Kozzie & Fritsch to play the different roles up forward

Key forwards need to be able to cop lots of punishment in order to be successful

It should be noted that the coach nearly dragged him last week

By the way, do you still want to see Brayshaw delisted?  Because that's what you said just 2 weeks ago.

Played another excellent game tonight.  In fact, he's played well all season

29 possessions at 100% disposal efficiency

I never said to delist Brayshaw, that's a bit of a stretch and not what I said. I only expressed my concerns that he looked down on form, not only this season but even late last season. It's good to see him back to his best.

Yes, JVR still needs to improve but he keeps chasing, crashing and bashing around the contest, which is good to see.

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I never said to delist Brayshaw, that's a bit of a stretch and not what I said. I only expressed my concerns that he looked down on form, not only this season but even late last season. It's good to see him back to his best.

Well that's not how I read it on certain threads ... your's and others views on Brayshaw were scathing but your appraisal was wrong anyway.  You intimated that he should be playing 2nds

But his disposal efficiency rating is elite and has been all season

In relation to other team members he's in front of most if not all (Counting the regulars only ... May 86, Brayshaw 84, Lever 83) So he's 2nd in the club

The criticisms look completely out of whack and quite frankly, weird

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Schache isn’t the answer. Petty back in or BB depending on form at Casey (with Petty to go back) 

Schache had an orientation match; agreed, he was quiet (and almost mis-placed in the team) but he will benefit considerably from the run - he really does have the tools, enough to come off the outer and some mongrel would assist him to so do, enormously. A fully fit and ready Petty would have had a field day against North last night, strongly reinforcing a thorough backline performance in which the co-ordination of forward ball movement and preventative remedies to opposition scoring stood out quite clearly. What really was noticeable were the links between players right across the field, right across the game - OK, so it was 'only' a re-building North - but it was a supreme 'team' effort with many variations in both 'expected' and 'innovative' role plays benefitting the outcome. Tremendous performances across the field and I'd suggest we would have annihilated any side in the competition with that profile. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, Dee-monic said:

I know that was little more than a good training run but one very positive point that did emerge is that in keeping Chandler and letting Bedford move on the Melbourne brains trust got it absolutely right. His accurate goal-kicking, constant pressure and excellent ball use stood out all night. And it was great to see Steven May showing his annoyance when North kicked some late goals. That's the kind of ruthless attitude that wins premierships.

On top of his unique, multi-faceted skill set, Chandler's work rate is remarkable, ground coverage unique and opportunist forays are silently outstanding. Nice sense of 'mongrel', as well. 

• Like 12
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Macca said:

No, he's not that good (yet) ... as a forward, he has a requirement to get to the front position whenever applicable

This he doesn't do consistently yet but that's not to say he won't be a success.  He has a long way to go if the aim is B+ or A grade

Even the A graders are disciplined enough to know that playing in front increases a players chances of getting the ball immeasurably.  For instance, it's damn near impossible to win a free kick playing from behind in a marking contest

We've got the goal sneaks like Kozzie & Fritsch to play the different roles up forward

Key forwards need to be able to cop lots of punishment in order to be successful

It should be noted that the coach nearly dragged him last week

By the way, do you still want to see Brayshaw in the 2nds?  Because that's what you intimated just a few weeks ago.

Played another excellent game tonight.  In fact, he's played well all season despite the utterings from the naysayers

29 possessions at 100% disposal efficiency

Mind you, he'll probably get acknowledged with a 'clanger' when the Demon teammate he kicked it to one time during the game fell over in a marking attempt

So the stats are questionable as well

JVR seemed to 'under-run' many of his opportunities against North. Slight misinterpretation of the incoming weaponry but getting to the front is critical and he certainly achieved this, taking a key opposition defender with him, out of the hot zone. 

I was at the game last night and I found the atmosphere very flat and almost eerily quiet for most of the match. I suppose that’s what happens when you nail 5 goals in the first few minutes against a team who is massive underdogs and everyone in the crowd thinks “ok this is going exactly to script”. 

I’m genuinely surprised any North fans stayed after halftime. After being really poor the last two weeks, they were horrible in the opening qtr.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 7

Class act by Goody to commence his post-match presser by wishing Comben and his family well. People in the second row heard the snap it was that nasty. 
Great touch by Gawn and Lever also by going over to Comben when play was halted for a little tap on the shoulder. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1

Absolute disgrace, we were 80 points at half-time and should have been 160 points at full-time, really got a lot to work on during the week if we're going to beat Gold coast by more than 186 points 🤣

But seriously, finally did exactly what we needed to do against a lower team very happy with that win and hope we do it again next week.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I was at the game last night and I found the atmosphere very flat and almost eerily quiet for most of the match. I suppose that’s what happens when you nail 5 goals in the first few minutes against a team who is massive underdogs and everyone in the crowd thinks “ok this is going exactly to script”. 

I’m genuinely surprised any North fans stayed after halftime. After being really poor the last two weeks, they were horrible in the opening qtr.

I remember when we were as poor as north are, certainly never left at half time. When you go to a game knowing you will loose by lots you kinda forget the score and just look for a glimmer of hope. I thought they showed glimmers of hope at times but came up against a side that is simply far superior at this given moment in time.

• Like 6

Just now, demosaw said:

Chandler’s kicking was superb, accurate and has 15m on Spargo. JVR and Schache just ok, participation award .

We are spoilt with Gus, Clarrie and Petracca.

We seemed to get through unscathed. May looked cooked at the end.

May worked very hard all night

Made a statement after a few poor weeks

One of our best Love his fierce attack on the ball and the man

Agree re Brayshaw has ben judged harshly this year such a reliable role player wins his contest and positions beautifully to intercept

• Like 6

Just now, Kent said:

May worked very hard all night

Made a statement after a few poor weeks

One of our best Love his fierce attack on the ball and the man

Agree re Brayshaw has ben judged harshly this year such a reliable role player wins his contest and positions beautifully to intercept

Yes May was great. He was just gassed at the end like a few others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

At least the players showed up, cos the supporters definitely didn’t. Shocking crowd for a club with almost 60k members.

30,000.  Small profit in those numbers. 
Two home games within 5 days.
Plenty showed up on Anzac Eve. 

Very few Kangas fans given their situation, think they’ve zoned out !! 

Me too. It was a pretty flat atmosphere. The thing I found weirdest was the final siren. The siren went and almost every dees player was visibly annoyed at the final passage of play out of defence where lever tried to bite off the wrong kick. I love that they were pointing and saying where it should’ve gone even after the game was iced and over. Clearly everyone was still invested in executing the game plan long after it was over.  Then the song didn’t start for what felt like a minute after the siren, delaying the celebrations from the crowd. It was a weird weird night. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, BDA said:

I love spargs but i think chandler has taken his place in the team.

Yes KC now one of the first names picked.  Has had a very good 2023 so far and do deserved.  Works hard at the pressure and at the contest.  Love his goalkicking.  

Spargo will be back at Casey next week. It might help him to get some midfield time and work on his front of pack crumbing.  It’s tough but the standard is high and there’s competition for spots. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

At least the players showed up, cos the supporters definitely didn’t. Shocking crowd for a club with almost 60k members.

Disappointing for sure. Beautiful night, perfect conditions, no excuses really. 

There's been a lot of commentary the last 12-18 months about our crowd sizes. Most of it I haven't agreed with, but last night was a let-down. 

Come on Dees fans. Get to the games. I'm bringing the kids to the next game v the hawks and its Freo after that. I'll be death riding the Dockers hard let me tell you. Wild horses wouldn't drag me away from that one (And I won't be bringing the kids as I might get a little animated)

• Like 1

Great win.

Came out with intensity and greatly improved our %

Chandler is such a good player.

The usual suspects in the midfield dominated.

Gus played a great 150th.

May back to his best.

Gawny moving well.

Kozzie electrifying.

Fritta a goal machine with uncanny knowledge of where the big sticks are.

Using the wings perfectly. 

Well done Mfc.

Staking our claim to the cup once more.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, deegirl said:

Comben went down right in front of us. What I thought was the sound of the contest wasn’t 😬 not a pretty sight 

This may be hyper critical but it felt like the North staff took ages to recognise how injured he was and call for the stretcher. 

Here’s to his recovery. 

Yeah right in front of me too. He waved in distress to the bench for an eternity holding his lower leg as soon as he hit the ground.

Poor kid has played 7 games in 4 years mostly due to injury.

Umps were oblivious too, played for a good 20 seconds after.

• Like 3

Thanks for going.

Great support. Shame there were not more Dees supporters. 

Glad the Norf fans stayed so they could take some more punishment. 

How good to be on the otherside of those wins for us.

Some weird stuff on here, like ‘if Chandler keeps playing like that, he’s a lock’. He’s been outstanding in every game this year. A remarkable little unit, beautiful skills, gutsy, great mark….who knew?! If he’s not a ‘lock’ now, he never will be. And he is not a Spargo replacement. They played together before Spargs was concussed. Spargo will not be relegated to Casey. He’s best 22. Also the odd concern that JVR and Schache only kicked 2 goals between them. We kicked 22 goals, have the best percentage in the league, and the highest ‘points for’. Great win, particularly off the 5 day break. The team’s beginning to hum I reckon, and who isn’t loving the evolution of Max and Brodie? 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

MFCSS antidote - See first quarter tonight. 

Take 3 viewings of that quarter replay every six hours with or without food.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

I had Chandler as a 'journeyman' type player.  He has very quickly become a key part of our line up.

Very impressive performance last night.  He has had quite a few shots from difficult angles recently and slotted them all.  Has great goal sense.  Reads the play really well giving him good fieldd positions.  Clubs may try and curtail his impact in future but hey they can't stop everyone!!

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, —coach— said:

I remember when we were as poor as north are, certainly never left at half time. When you go to a game knowing you will loose by lots you kinda forget the score and just look for a glimmer of hope. I thought they showed glimmers of hope at times but came up against a side that is simply far superior at this given moment in time.

North have plenty to base some hope on. A very good coach, some very good top end talent and some tough experienced players in Cunnington, Goldy and Ziebell to guide them through this rebuild. They had some very good performances early but have tired badly the last couple of games but they'll be fine longer term. 

• Thinking 1