POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs Brisbane

Demonland

Goodwin in his presser said we didn't handle the conditions well, but also mentioned that the centre square is on a cricket pitch which we don't often play on.

We haven't played on the Gabba this early in a season since 2018, when we beat Brisbane, but they were a bottom 4 side that year. Since then, the earliest we've played on it was Round 15 2019 (June), with all our other games July or August.

I have zero idea whether playing on it 4 months after the cricket season makes any difference as compared to playing on it weeks after cricket, but it sounds like Goodwin thinks it might have. If it did, I have no idea how, but anyway.

I'm not using this as any sort of excuse, by the way. We knew about this fixture since December. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Goodwin in his presser said we didn't handle the conditions well, but also mentioned that the centre square is on a cricket pitch which we don't often play on.

We haven't played on the Gabba this early in a season since 2018, when we beat Brisbane, but they were a bottom 4 side that year. Since then, the earliest we've played on it was Round 15 2019 (June), with all our other games July or August.

I have zero idea whether playing on it 4 months after the cricket season makes any difference as compared to playing on it weeks after cricket, but it sounds like Goodwin thinks it might have. If it did, I have no idea how, but anyway.

I'm not using this as any sort of excuse, by the way. We knew about this fixture since December. 

Interesting!  Thanks for this, have not got the stomach yet to watch Goodwin's presser.  

Could go some way to explaining midfields' performance overall (although of course we basically lost the plot and forgot our basic skills)

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Fagan whinging about last 12 minutes saying we had longer warmup and they had nothing to play for and didn’t want injuries.

Brisbane had plenty of time to speculate about the most obvious scenarios, they came up short and we hammered them. Another 5 minutes?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

They sat off us at the centre clearances consistently. They were always on the outside. I’ve never seen a side capitalise on our mistakes in the centre so often. I wonder if this was part of it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

They sat off us at the centre clearances consistently. They were always on the outside. I’ve never seen a side capitalise on our mistakes in the centre so often. I wonder if this was part of it.

Well thats what good sides do, hurt sides that makes mistakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzy said:

Skills.  Still our greatest weakness and always will be with this group, particularly under pressure.

How do we have so many poor field (and goal) kickers in one midfield, it's diabolical and hurts us every week.

Yuck.

Viney, Sparrow & Harmes all in the same midfield throws us off. Even with Hunter in the mix now, we're still another highly skilled mid away from bringing the balance back to where it should be.

Given two of the three also play heavy minutes up forward, it'd flow on to cause our i50 inefficiency.

2 hours ago, IRW said:

Is it in any way possible for observations or opinions not to include some ridiculous statement about umpiring ?

They have never made a difference....ever.

Some umpiring is better some is worse...some is awful...in the same game...relative to both teams

GTFU!!

We gave away lots of high frees. Some of them seemed questionable. You grow the [censored] up. Complaining about people complaining about the umpires is like complaining about there being oxygen in the atmosphere. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Interesting!  Thanks for this, have not got the stomach yet to watch Goodwin's presser.  

Could go some way to explaining midfields' performance overall (although of course we basically lost the plot and forgot our basic skills)

It's actually a good presser. Helped me come to terms with it all. Worth watching that and tracks interview on the MFC website 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IRW said:

A mistake can have a consequence but to say endlessly that MFC is being disadvantaged suggests that the other teams are being favoured.

It's childish 

Haha nice try

That's not what you said though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

It’s funny he mentioned that because I did think through out the game, players don’t seem interested in planting there feet and pivoting sharply or trying to evade. They probably had no familiarity with the surface, which let’s face it doesn’t excuse the entire performance but does explain some of the clearance issues.

If that is due to surface, then F Me why are we giving these teams an edge? GEELONG with their narrow wings, Sydney and their shorter pitch etc. why can’t we have a level playing field literally and figuratively speaking.

Every ground should have the exact same measurements, soil and surface conditions etc or you find another ground or cough up 4 pts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

I have been feeling so annoyed about last nights poor performance and the thought of losing Max for 2023 that I haven’t been able to read or contribute to the post game thread and then we get this great news that Max could be back in 6 weeks time. I feel a bit light headed what a relief.!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Such a BS statement

Pretty sure they cost us the game in Adelaide a couple of years ago

Umpires have cost Points, Goals, Games and Finals, and now we know that they have cost BL's

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Umpires have cost Points, Goals, Games and Finals, and now we know that they have cost BL's

Absolutely in Adelaide when they cowardly did not pay deliberate out of bounds.  We would have least drawn.  We won flag so no biggie.    Shocking hard job  overall they do pretty well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IRW said:

Is it in any way possible for observations or opinions not to include some ridiculous statement about umpiring ?

Some umpiring is better some is worse...some is awful...in the same game...relative to both teams

GTFU!!

GTfU?

Get a grip. Complaining about umps is a national pass time. And rightly so. Have you never questioned an umpires call?

Umps are human and often get duped by players and crowds. So it's frustrating. To say they never make a difference is akin to saying why have them. It's silly. Many matches have been decided by bad calls. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Brownie said:

Yes I was there too. It wasn't just the midfield, we were incredibly loose in our defence.

Loose lions players everywhere. The kicks to 2 lions on one Dee were terrible.

We shouldn't take solace in the last ten minutes. The lions took the foot off our throat.

Petty was sore through the second half 

Lever did his best.

Fritsch and TMAC looked completely tired and lost.

We're so lucky to have a fit Ben Brown.

I really question the value of Harmes' and Melksham. They go alright when we're on a roll but just go missing when the pressure is on. 

Surely JVR has to get a run somehow. 

Chandler really tried hard tonight. I think we need to give JVR the same chance, even as sub to start.

Gee that was hard to watch tonight.

Can’t remember Harmes having one possession without fumbling, dropping marks or kicking to the opposition. Really bad night. 

Don’t recall citing Melksham too much either. 

Agree Brownie time for JVR to get a go and I would send Harms and Melky back to the twos. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

It was also a hot and humid night too which wouldn’t have helped. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Can’t remember Harmes having one possession without fumbling, dropping marks or kicking to the opposition. Really bad night. 

Don’t recall citing Melksham too much either. 

Agree Brownie time for JVR to get a go and I would send Harms and Melky back to the twos. 

Who would you have replace Harmes?

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Who would you have replace Harmes?

From yesterday's Casey reports and his preseason form, JJ must be close to a run.

JVR had a pretty good run as a ruck Rover after Sache got knocked. He's got to be a better option than Melksham. The Lions players were just running off him on Friday

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

From yesterday's Casey reports and his preseason form, JJ must be close to a run.

JVR had a pretty good run as a ruck Rover after Sache got knocked. He's got to be a better option than Melksham. The Lions players were just running off him on Friday

Jordon would be my pick also.

JVR was crashing picks yesterday and his follow up work at ground level is far superior to Tmac. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

A very poor exuse Goody!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jordon would be my pick also.

JVR was crashing picks yesterday and his follow up work at ground level is far superior to Tmac. 

I think Mathew Jefferson will be better than JVR in time Dazzle. He is one who times his leaps well and takes impressive grabs. Donf get put of by his pionts tally in this game. Most were near misses. I would be almost tempted to play one or both and give T. Mac the flick, he is cooked!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1