POSTGAME: Match SIM vs St. Kilda

Demonland

1 hour ago, DeeZee said:

McVee was very good, as were Bowey, Rivers and Hibberd .

Someones gonna miss out.

Rapt with Kozzie in the midfield and Hunter really adds something.

Think Hibbo edges McVee as good as he was. Hibbo has a ‘better’ chance of locking down Weightman than McVee in a debut in Round 1. Will back the coaches like always though. 

Edited by 12345_54321
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

What sort of role is McVee playing down back? Can he be a small lockdown type to quell the Charlie Cameron, Stengle, Papley types? Could he replace Hibberd long term?  Hoping he’s not just another rebounder as we’re well stocked for hbfs, but have a clear list gap for small lockdown defenders since Jetta retired and Hibberd is on his last legs.

Anyone have any insight here?

2 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Mcvee looks great.

Hunter going to change us.

Grundy will work into it. 

100% agree on all three.

It looks like Mcvee has Salem's spot for now. Nice kicking action and finds targets.

The team really got around him early when he hit up a forward with a sweet hit that set up a [censored] on goal.

Hunter's kicking inside 50 is exactly what we need. In addition to setting up scores, he creates a problem for oppos trying to bypass Langdon. I love that both have shaved heads.

I think a key factior in how much Grundy improves us will be how well he and maxy combine. It might take the first handful of games to build their chemistry. If/when they click they will be a formidable combo given their size, ruck craft and incredible fitness.

That combo is an improvement on maxy and Jackson. So that's a win right there.

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Rebounding half back seemed to be role.

I suspect he'll take Salem's place and role - with bowey on the other side.

Rivers is a lock down back, so not sure where that leaves hibbo. Gus played back today, so if he goes into the middle hibbo could come in.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dl4e said:

It was just a practice game so won't read to much into it but there was a problem with delivery inside the forward 50. Too many times it went to a saints player. Is there something familiar in  what I am saying.

And long bombs into the F50 too. 

Seems all to familiar unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

He was consistently the deepest of the small backs often playing on Higgins.

Obviously  there’s a gap between Higgins and Charlie Cameron, but I sense the coaches will be keen to give McVee first crack on dangerous smalls.

He didn’t exactly have a stack of one on ones but there was some contested ability on display.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Did I see JVR ping a hammy half way through the 7th?

Looked like cramp to me, think I saw him keep jogging to the bench. Sat next to Goody who gave him a pat on the back that looked more like good effort than bad luck. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I agree with most of the positive comments but the forward line dynamic is still completely off imo. There is no leading forward coming out from the square on any occasion. Waiting in the pockets or coming up the ground and then the ball is either kicked over there heads as they are all running back or the kicker waits Untill they are all back and bombs it. The exception was a nice tmac lead out in the first qtr. I just don't get it. We've got multiple forwards that can lead and mark but are clearly being instructed not to do it. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I agree with most of the positive comments but the forward line dynamic is still completely off imo. There is no leading forward coming out from the square on any occasion. Waiting in the pockets or coming up the ground and then the ball is either kicked over there heads as they are all running back or the kicker waits Untill they are all back and bombs it. The exception was a nice tmac lead out in the first qtr. I just don't get it. We've got multiple forwards that can lead and mark but are clearly being instructed not to do it. 

Ummm. This was the first inter club practice match of season 2023. A PRACCY match!!!!!   I'm pretty happy thus far.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

McVee played on Higgins most of the time. When Higgins was a high half-forward he followed him and beat him one on one, and also did the zoning where he covered two players (competed well when he had to go the ball), he also followed Higgins around the goal square area. Had great acceleration,  stepped, shimmied, ran at good angles, competed in the air and hit targets that got the ball moving. He also pressed high up to just outside the forward 50 arc.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, binman said:

I think a key factior in how much Grundy improves us will be how well he and maxy combine. It might take the first handful of games to build their chemistry. If/when they click they will be a formidable combo given their size, ruck craft and incredible fitness.

That combo is an improvement on maxy and Jackson. So that's a win right there.

In the ruck - yes. Although it takes Max out of his best position for longer. The trade off being we hit teams 2 different ways and get variety in the middle.

Up forward - not yet. Today was not a true test but there were moments it didn’t look good. Start of the 2nd particularly and the 3rd.

Grundy has a mountain of work to do on his marking - right now it’s just bad. And whilst Jacko never quite put it together as a forward he has a better leap at the ball and better ground level pressure.

Today was more of a tick for the midfield and flankers and more of an incomplete grade for the talls at either end given Lever’s injury 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Are you upset that footy isn’t played like it’s 1994 any more or did you miss the number of times BBB and Tommy were hit or attempted to be hit on the lead inside 50? 

Hunter had 3 or 4 himself.

Teams defend with all 18 and can’t leave someone in the square. They lead back in to that space on quick transition. It’s still a lead to the hot spot it just comes in reverse.

With Grundy’s first game and no Fritsch I thought the hit up leads were fine.

The lack of pressure after long kicks concerned me more.

• Like 8
  • Clap 2
  • Thinking 1

I was there at Moorabin today and Grundy was impressive. In one particular passage of play, he unselfishly dished off a clever handball to a fellow Demon when he could have had a shot at goal, but it resulted in a string of play resulting in a goal. I thought it deserved praise so I yelled out "Onya Reg!". The crowd in my immediate vicinity found the comment amusing and there was significant communal giggling. Perhaps the nickname will stick...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

BBB did on more than one occasion. 

• Like 11

Agree with much others have written. McVee looked good, but the Saints were horrible, and it looked like he was playing on skinny kids most of the time. I think he is still a bit light and will be shown up badly by mature players with more size. As good as he played, not sure he is a lock for round 1.

More reasons not to read too much generally into result today

• It was a preseason game
  • It was very, very hot and very, very windy. Lots of balls going inside F50 dropping short, going over heads, and hooking left and right.
  • You could see players from both sides holding back on pressure at times to save from injury

Generally speaking we looked strong and able. 

• Like 8