Jump to content

Perception of usernames


Skuit

Recommended Posts

Now that trade month is dusted and we need to wait us a few more weeks for some further hope cookies, I thought it might be the opportune time to start a new thread on something that has occupied my mind for the past six or so minutes. Usernames.

Q1: have you misinterpreted other posters' usernames without reflection?

(Follow up Q2: where and why and what and who did you derive your username from?)

I’ll get the ball gently rolling. (First easy question though: do any of the many ‘Dr.s’ on Demonland hold a PhD. or practice medicine?)

More specifically, on reflection.

Nasher: always thought it was something to do with being an admin and gnashing teeth, but probably just someone having the surname Nash.

Cassiew: read it as someone who considers themselves a nut, as in cashew. But likewise probably just a person named Cassandra, whose surname starts with ‘w’.

Pennant St Dee: always read in my head as Pennant ‘Saint’ Dee. Pretty obviously refers to a street though, somewhere in Perth likely. Google says such a thing exists.

mo64: A dude named Moe or referring to modus operandi 1964’?

DubDee/Sydee/Edm. Is it music related? Always picture you all in the different rooms of a rave.

binman: still can’t help but connect with the strident support of Oscar McDonald, as in Oscar the Grouch = bin-man. Name probably came about well before OMac ever walked into our club.

Demonstone? Is this Demon-stone like something out of Game of Thrones, or Demon’s tone where he or she forgot the apostrophe?

DeeSpencer: just assume is a huge fan of Jake Spencer like me.

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figured @DubDee with the Jim Stynes photo was a reference to Dublin.

@Skuit I think historically you have defined your name for someone who once asked? Skirt/Suit?

@A F - my head goes to . something "as [censored]."

Not sure of @WalkingCivilWarobscure reference... my head either goes to Guns N Roses song 'Civil Wa'r or Manic Street Preachers lyrics of "Divine Youth" - And I sing to myself, My civil wars within, The victories and failures, I daily lose and win..."

@binman - I just imagine he is a hipster with a beard... but in reality is clean shaven.

@WERRIDEE is stuck in Werribee.,,

I do like how people really really try really really hard to wedge in a Demons reference into their handle...

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really want to know the origin of yours, @Engorged Onion…...aroused cooking or something springs to mind! Mine I’m sad to say is my surname, just seemed appropriate to the internet. Boring. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Skuit said:

Now that trade month is dusted and we need to wait us a few more weeks for some further hope cookies, I thought it might be the opportune time to start a new thread on something that has occupied my mind for the past six or so minutes. Usernames.

Q1: have you misinterpreted other posters' usernames without reflection?

(Follow up Q2: where and why and what and who did you derive your username from?)

I’ll get the ball gently rolling. (First easy question though: do any of the many ‘Dr.s’ on Demonland hold a PhD. or practice medicine?)

More specifically, on reflection.

Nasher: always thought it was something to do with being an admin and gnashing teeth, but probably just someone having the surname Nash.

Cassiew: read it as someone who considers themselves a nut, as in cashew. But likewise probably just a person named Cassandra, whose surname starts with ‘w’.

Pennant St Dee: always read in my head as Pennant ‘Saint’ Dee. Pretty obviously refers to a street though, somewhere in Perth likely. Google says such a thing exists.

mo64: A dude named Moe or referring to modus operandi 1964’?

DubDee/Sydee/Edm. Is it music related? Always picture you all in the different rooms of a rave.

binman: still can’t help but connect with the strident support of Oscar McDonald, as in Oscar the Grouch = bin-man. Name probably came about well before OMac ever walked into our club.

Demonstone? Is this Demon-stone like something out of Game of Thrones, or Demon’s tone where he or she forgot the apostrophe?

DeeSpencer: just assume is a huge fan of Jake Spencer like me.

 

 

Demons3031 Childhood memories for me going to the footy with Dad in the old Bay 13 and Dad telling me all about John Beckwith (Captain) and Ron  Barassi (Vice captain) - and seeing them both as heroes. I remember him once telling me to watch Beckwith kick the ball along the boundary line from the back pocket. but not be pinged for on the full - he was spot on. :)

Edited by Demons3031
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Salems Lot - what's yours a reference to?

@Webber - I do think of bbq's and cooking!!

Indeed - I do like my cooking. Not a naked chef though, but good food access the heart and souls of people. And when I was younger led to romantic encounters!

It is probably a bit of my latent cheeky side - most peoples head goes to a certain place when they hear the word 'engorged'...

The onion bit is a work reference... to peeling back the layers of the individual to appreciate their 'core'.

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Interesting! I thought your name might have been a reference to BBQ onions from Gus and Gawny, @Engorged Onion

@Skuit always makes me think of Scoot... and what's the reason for yours, @Dee Zephyr? Going back to Windy Hill or something?

@Sydee is like Sydney Dee... but I might have made this up!

Mine simply refers to the kind of play I hope to see our players perform in every game 😊

 

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
Bonus content!
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Interesting! I thought your name might have been a reference to BBQ onions from Gus and Gawny, @Engorged Onion

@Skuit always makes me think of Scoot... and what's the reason for yours, @Dee Zephyr? Going back to Windy Hill or something?

@Sydee is like Sydney Dee... but I might have made this up!

Mine simply refers to the kind of play I hope to see our players perform in every game 😊

 

Mine came about from horse racing DP. A mate’s horse was named Dan Zephyr and had a long run without success like the Dees, a few of us on here like to talk racing every now and then and it was one of them that suggested the name. Sounded apt at the time. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Not sure of @WalkingCivilWarobscure reference... my head either goes to Guns N Roses song 'Civil Wa'r or Manic Street Preachers lyrics of "Divine Youth" - And I sing to myself, My civil wars within, The victories and failures, I daily lose and win..."

Neither of those, EO.

Lyrics from a band called Mercury Rev (their name belies their music; they produce the sweetest songs not unlike The Flaming Lips). Also because I have a problem with indecision and oftentimes feel like it’s me fighting me,  hence civil war. 😁

  • Like 9
  • Love 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8-year-old me laughs at @titan_uranus 🤭

Current-day me laughs at @wobbleguts😂

My fave avi belong to the poster formerly known as The Jackson Six, now known as @The Jackson FIXcoz funny af pic.  Also @deanoxcoz love lil Alex. And @Return to Glorycoz love Alan Partridge.

Big LOLZ that @Skuithas folks believing his name is a portmanteau of skirt/suit. Who on god’s green earth would love a hybrid garment of clothing enough to adopt it as a username??? And even then, you’d go skorts, surely!

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Neither of those, EO.

Lyrics from a band called Mercury Rev (their name belies their music; they produce the sweetest songs not unlike The Flaming Lips). Also because I have a problem with indecision and oftentimes feel like it’s me fighting me,  hence civil war. 😁

Originally thought you were someone always looking for a fight 😜

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@deanox- deano-x or dean-ox?

@Clint Bizkitis still my favourite culture merger. There’d be a whole generation of Demonlanders who have no idea what either references are now. We’re getting old!

My surname isn’t Nash. Nasher was out of a game I used to play 25 years ago, and when I was an online gamer in my youth I started using it as an alias to my normal name when I wanted some anonymity, and for a brief period in the early 00s it became the alias I used everywhere. It has no relevance at all in my life now and this is the only presence where I still use it. 

End life story.
 

  • Like 12
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Yep that’s right. Nothing too imaginative, just a dubliner. Like me auld mates WCW and Pennant St Dee 🙂

Just a Dubliner?!
Proud to be a Dubliner! !!
 While I’m an Aussie through and through, my heart will forever belong to my birthplace, Coolock. Also Jimmy’s neck of the woods. ❤️💙

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Nasher said:

 

@Clint Bizkitis still my favourite culture merger. There’d be a whole generation of Demonlanders who have no idea what either references are now. We’re getting old!
 

I get both references. But this username reminds me of this…

160ADA4C-C207-4194-808C-533A3E56917F.jpeg.b8a44cc65fcc0a9043f7709814d65afd.jpeg

😂

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, loges said:

Originally thought you were someone always looking for a fight 😜

The exact opposite, Loges. A pacifist til the end. In fact I was gonna change my username on February 24th this year, the day Russia invaded Ukraine. I didn’t like having the word “war” in my name. 😢

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I figured @DubDee with the Jim Stynes photo was a reference to Dublin.

Nice pick up

@Skuit I think historically you have defined your name for someone who once asked? Skirt/Suit?

It's a multiple-choice question

@A F - my head goes to . something "as [censored]."

Solved

Not sure of @WalkingCivilWarobscure reference... my head either goes to Guns N Roses song 'Civil Wa'r or Manic Street Preachers lyrics of "Divine Youth" - And I sing to myself, My civil wars within, The victories and failures, I daily lose and win..."

Badge for effort

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, premiers in my lifetime? said:

I am an avid reader but not much of a contributer so stuck with this msg, only 67 more to go now:

You are not allowed to change your display name right now as only members who have submitted 100 content items, etc. can change their username - you need to make 68 more.

We'll be patient if you just want to quickly churn out six dozen nonsense texts in order to change your handle. They would probably be as insightful as the rest of ours. . 

  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's possibly true of many, if not most, here, but it's particularly true in this case: you are a rich tapestry, @WalkingCivilWar 😊

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 66

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 28

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 19

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 295

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6

    EARLY BIRDS by KC from Casey

    Wet, slippery conditions and threatening rainfalls greeted the VFL Bombers at the end of their long journey southeast of the big city on Sunday. The threatening weather combined with the fact that neither side had realistic prospects of advancing to action in September, meant that spectators gathered at a cold Casey Fields weren’t expecting a classic exhibition of football. Nor did they get one. Instead they were presented with a dour struggle that never reached great heights. It was a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...