Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

48 minutes ago, IRW said:

I  concede a little on Kossie but do you think the others had good seasons...cobber

Were you the one that said early days in the finals that Geelong and Collingwood were crepe and the Dee's would walk right through them? 

Or are you just one of the duffers who can't see the difference between supporting and ignoring the obvious? 

....cobber 

The same players who won us a flag last year and took the team to 2nd on the ladder this year.  Yeah, horrible seasons.  

Your comment was that if we don’t add anymore players we will plateau, which is nonsensical when we have so many players in their early 20’s who will continue to develop and improve. 

I’d prefer just to ignore so called supporters who makes statements that have no substance. Is that obvious enough for you? 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

I'm afraid that there will be no Big Fish landed. Maybe some guppies.

But even if that's true, so what?

It's as if Trade week itself has become some kind of spectator sport.

Richmond went back to back in 2019 - 20, yet didn't trade in a single player in the 2019, 20 and 21 trade periods, and haven't traded in a player since 2018. Also no trades in 2016 and 2017 either, so only a single traded-in player between 2015 and 2021, yet they still won the flag 3 times across that period.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

Where you are seen as negative is not seeing Grundy as a big fish.

He is and it is a blockbuster move to get him.

I think that's exciting.

I also think it more than interesting to see where our draft hand finishes up.

Grundy might be a whale but he could equally be one of those big sun fish that just blob along and do nothing.

He could also be very good yet render Gawn to a very marginal role, giving the team only a minor gain.

If we only need a minor gain to get over the line then happy days, but I can’t blame fans for being disappointed. A key forward or skilled mid would be far more exciting 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

We did not better the list last year

Seriously? If you read Demonland, Van Rooyen is the second coming, Blake Howes has so much upside he's a future Brownlow winner and the only reason Turner isn't a regular down back is because the coaches are stubbornly refusing to play him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

...and wouldn't you hate being a forward .....is he going to kick it?  Short or Long?  Is he going to keep running? Will I run forward or retreat?  Do I lead now or wait until he stops running?

The fans love the look, but it does nothing for the team.

Exactly and often when he kicks it, it’s a defenders dream on top of the forwards head

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Anyways, there’s this weird thing going on in this thread that people buy into that if it’s not in the media overtly then nothing is happening?

Why do folk believe that the absence of reporting infers the absence of enquiry and that we (just like every other team) are looking at improving the list whilst trying to balance - $

Have a look over trade rumours from 2018 onwards same people complaining of no information and we”ll always get held over a barrel and pay overs.

We haven’t leaked under this footy department in years.

Fast forward trade time 23, same people will again be whinging we are doing nothing 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He could also be very good yet render Gawn to a very marginal role, giving the team only a minor gain.

I wonder what the specific strategy of getting Grundy across to co-exist with Gawn is,  that,  wouldn't render Gawn (or Grundy himself) into marginal roles...

There has to be a highly specific reason/plan/strategy why the FD want Grundy as a direct replacement (not necessarily like for like) for Jackson,

What are his attributes that he has displayed historically, that can help the team system, and contribute in a meaningful way that his highly specific attributes allow...whilst ALSO allowing the premier ruckman in the league, who also has highly specific yet different attributes, also flourish, and thus help the team achieve the aim of another premiership.

It's probably not about bombing it into the F50 pockets...I'd be pondering it a bit deeper than that.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I wonder what the specific strategy of getting Grundy across to co-exist with Gawn is,  that,  wouldn't render Gawn (or Grundy himself) into marginal roles...

There has to be a highly specific reason/plan/strategy why the FD want Grundy as a direct replacement (not necessarily like for like) for Jackson,

What are his attributes that he has displayed historically, that can help the team system, and contribute in a meaningful way that his highly specific attributes allow...whilst ALSO allowing the premier ruckman in the league, who also has highly specific yet different attributes, also flourish, and thus help the team achieve the aim of another premiership.

It's probably not about bombing it into the F50 pockets...I'd be pondering it a bit deeper than that.

I think you will find most clubs will play 2 rucks next year with the talk of a 5 man interchange, we will just have the 2 best in the league 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think you will find most clubs will play 2 rucks next year with the talk of a 5 man interchange, we will just have the 2 best in the league 

Thanks, there is a lot I don't consider when it comes to future rule adjustments...

@Demons11 what's your take on why most clubs (but not all??) would play 2 rucks... what's the purpose, what does it allow?

And if you have the 2 best, what advantage does that give you - beyond hit outs, and hit outs to advantage?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Engorged Onion said:

Thanks, there is a lot I don't consider when it comes to future rule adjustments...

@Demons11 what's your take on why most clubs (but not all??) would play 2 rucks... what's the purpose, what does it allow?

And if you have the 2 best, what advantage does that give you - beyond hit outs, and hit outs to advantage?

I think most play 2 in some form because the game is to hard for an individual to ruck all game.  I think the biggest advantage we will see with Gawn and Grundy is the ability for them to use their attributes.  Gawns ruck work will continue to shine but I think in times when we are under seige they can also throw him behind the ball and let Grundy ruck.  Grundy is also like an extra mid and will provide so much flexibility around the ball. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Goody probably thinks an increase in clearances from the centre and around the ground stoppages will give us 10-20% more inside 50s, which will result in those half time leads being 45 points rather than 35?  And he might be right. I'm not expecting anything radically different to this year. We just hope for better conversion with personnel change and fitness

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think most play 2 in some form because the game is to hard for an individual to ruck all game.  I think the biggest advantage we will see with Gawn and Grundy is the ability for them to use their attributes.  Gawns ruck work will continue to shine but I think in times when we are under seige they can also throw him behind the ball and let Grundy ruck.  Grundy is also like an extra mid and will provide so much flexibility around the ball. 

worth keeping a close eye on whether there is a deviation in Essendung’s drafting strategy with Scott now on board… You would imagine he has some intel on likely direction of rule changes that hasn’t yet been canvassed with the clubs

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Grundy might be a whale but he could equally be one of those big sun fish that just blob along and do nothing

That's for another discussion....

As far as trade goes, he's a big fish.

Next season will show whether we made a genius move with a great strategy from a coach a lot on here still think can't coach... or we didn't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

But even if that's true, so what?

It's as if Trade week itself has become some kind of spectator sport.

Richmond went back to back in 2019 - 20, yet didn't trade in a single player in the 2019, 20 and 21 trade periods, and haven't traded in a player since 2018. Also no trades in 2016 and 2017 either, so only a single traded-in player between 2015 and 2021, yet they still won the flag 3 times across that period.

Yes, you've got to keep a solid core and make minor adjustments.

This is the history of wining sporting teams world wide...Richmond know this and so do we.

You can't bring in a bunch of players and expect to get a result, it doesn't work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Jackson FIX said:

worth keeping a close eye on whether there is a deviation in Essendung’s drafting strategy with Scott now on board… You would imagine he has some intel on likely direction of rule changes that hasn’t yet been canvassed with the clubs

You reckon they'll start taking good players?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjay said:

Where you are seen as negative is not seeing Grundy as a big fish.

He is and it is a blockbuster move to get him.

I think that's exciting.

I also think it more than interesting to see where our draft hand finishes up.

Grundy of 2018 would have been a big deal. The bloke has barely played football in 2 years and comes in under the cloud of injury. If, and it’s a massive if, he can get back to that form, we win. If he breaks down, we are up the creek with a Weid 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Grundy of 2018 would have been a big deal. The bloke has barely played football in 2 years and comes in under the cloud of injury. If, and it’s a massive if, he can get back to that form, we win. If he breaks down, we are up the creek with a Weid 

Played 20 games in 2021 mate.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I stand corrected.. so 26 games in 2 seasons. His form in 2020 was not good. 2021 was reasonable, but nowhere near 2018-2019. 

His stats here confirm it:

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brodie_Grundy.html

Yep, wasn't great in 2020, but was very good in 2021 (lead the league in hitouts).

But your argument was he had barely played for 2 years and you seemed to suggest he was injury prone. Bloke has averaged nearly 18 games a year through his career, which is massive considering he only played 7 in his first year and 6 this year. The injury argument is just not correct.

For comparison, Gawn has averaged 15 games per year over his career.

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yep, wasn't great in 2020, but was very good in 2021 (lead the league in hitouts).

But your argument was he had barely played for 2 years and you seemed to suggest he was injury prone. Bloke has averaged nearly 18 games a year through his career, which is massive considering he only played 7 in his first year and 6 this year. The injury argument is just not correct.

For comparison, Gawn has averaged 15 games per year over his career.

So glad im not the only one on this @Lord Nev,  he has had 1 injury to sit him out for a long period.  before that was regularly in the AA squad and one of the best 2 rucks in the league.

With arguably the best most explosive midfield in the comp, imagine the advantage of having an elite ruck combo that rotates and is always working at close to 100%.

especially if the 5 man on the bench comes in and they can work a 50/50ish split in the ruck.

you don't go after a guy like this just because he is cheap, obviously they have a game plan he fits into.

• Like 7